Post-Game Talk: Jets fall to the Knights 3 -1

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I missed most of the game yesterday due to other commitments but when I started watching part way into the third period I heard the play by play announcer say the one sentence that told me all I need to know about why the Jets were losing and why they would not win the game.

"Byfuglien tries to slow things down" as he moves slowly out of his end.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Chiarot looks just fine to me but Enstrom on the other hand not at all, this isn't Enstrom of old. As much as I respect the man he just doesn't have it anymore, every time he touches the puck I get nervous as he is extremely weak on the puck and gets out muscled most of the time which occasionally leads to a lazy penalty. Put Morrow in if Kuli isn't ready to go.

If a defenseman is having to always try and muscle people off the puck then he first messed up and lost body position. Playing defense is more about positioning and smarts and containing players. Bending but not breaking. Chiarot sucks at proper body position and his physicality has been irrelevant since the start of the Preds series.

Another part of being a great defenseman is a good transition game. Chiarot can not keep up with the speed and is constantly forced and ugly breakout whereas Enstrom time and time again can keep clean zone exits.

This notion that Enstrom is a problem and Chiarot is part of the solution is beyond outdated and simply just being plain ignorant. You have to be smart, be a good skater, and have an effective transition game to be a successful defenseman in this league nowadays. There’s a reason guys like Chiarot are always 3rd pairing or extras.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Atlanta accused me of being on drugs if i wanted roslo for Perrault. Which even if wrong is still an opinion on the team his was just a blatant attack. Yet somehow everyone thinks coming to his defense is necessary instead of pointing out we like to stick to hockey here not attacks. So ya I said good that someone from Atlanta still likes the jets which is way less offensive.

Okay, that makes sense. Your post got past my parser but the lexer totally gave up trying to decipher the content. :)

Reactions: probablywrongbut

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
ehlers needs to be healthy scratched. over the last 2 months I cant think of 1 really good game he has played. he is sucking the life out of that line. fiala who has scored and played well for Nashville and is a similar player drafted in the same year was sat for a game cant see why they cant sit him. he has been beyond horrible.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
If the Jets can adjust and play a faster game then there is no need to worry. I don't mean skating speed, but decision making. Puck needs to be moved quicker and shots need to get off quicker before Vegas sticks and bodies get in the way. We have elite talent, it shouldn't be a problem.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
I'm on the ledge.

Vegas outplayed the Jets. Jets simply can't keep up with them and now Vegas has figured out the Jets. Doesn't seem like there's anything left in the tank for Winnipeg. We're outcoached. Outworked. Outchanced. I thought Vegas was the strongest team after the first round. They play the best team game I've ever seen. They all buy into the system and do it perfectly. At least Jets managed to win 1 game in the series. It's over in 5.

I hope you forgot this:sarcasm:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
True we are better off as front runners, but I wouldn't say easy to beat as we owned the 2nd and made it a 1 goal game in the 3rd before falling 3-1. With the amount of posts and bounces that game could have gone either way.

I wish I could be as confident as Bogo here -- but I saw this game very different. Vegas went up 2-0 , and then hit the post within 2 minutes after that--could have been 3-0. The Jet's were totally controlled, outchanced, and outplayed, and Vegas had the better scoring chances. Jet's had the better 2nd period though, so at least that's one bright area of the game.

How about putting in Morrow for Toby --at least that will give us more scoring from the back end, and Morrow has a good shot. Maybe insert Roslovic in the lineup as well. Goals will be at a premium this series, and we can't rely on just Scheif and Wheeler.

If the Jet's lose the next game-- I think we're in trouble, because we're a front running team, and haven't shown the ability to dig down deep and come from behind. If the Preds win the next game --I'd say the odds are in their favor to take the series, but not by a lot-- but they would be the favorites. This is an underrated team.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegr8one66

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Crosby's made the playoffs every season since he was 19, at 20 they lost in the Cup final and at 21 he won his first cup.

I'm sure everyone knows the Capitals playoff history at this point, but Ovi didn't make the playoffs until his draft+3 season. The Capitals have only missed the playoffs once (13-14) since that first appearance by Ovechkin.

Not to say Crosby and Ovechkin are comparable at all to Laine, because they're not, but Laine was the Jets leader in goals for the regular season. You have to expect him to be better in that area at least.

Ovechkin's first 3 playoff appearances:
Season AgeGPGAP
07-08 217459
08-09 2214111021
09-10 2375510
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ovi led the Capitals in scoring in each of the 3 playoff appearances.

Crosby's first 3 playoff appearances:
SeasonAge GPGAP
06-07 195325
07-08 202062127
08-09 :stanley: 2124151631
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Laine's an easy target for criticism because he isn't scoring goals, which is what he does best.

Thanks for the correction. I actually didn't think Crosby was playing playoff games at that age. He did pretty freaking good at 20!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I missed most of the game yesterday due to other commitments but when I started watching part way into the third period I heard the play by play announcer say the one sentence that told me all I need to know about why the Jets were losing and why they would not win the game.

"Byfuglien tries to slow things down" as he moves slowly out of his end.

Yeah, that strategy is driving me crazy....

Reactions: Jimby

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
The most disturbing thing in this round and the last is that a 1 goal deficit is seemingly insurmountable. Not a problem I expected us to have, to be honest.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A> We're not outcoached, in fact Gallant was cited as one of the few coaches that was worse than Maurice when people floated the idea of replacing Maurice with him.

B> I haven't reviewed the xGF / xGA charts, but even the eye test shows the Jets had a lot of chances and a significant factor in Vegas's win was getting a number of breaks, not the least of which was getting away with a lot of fouls. Refs review the tapes too. Reffing will get better. Like Wheeler said, outside of a short black hole in the first period, Winnipeg's game was fine.

C> Vegas looked like the strongest team in the first round and indeed after the second because they played BY FAR the easiest opposition en route to round 3.

D> Vegas to win the series in 5? Well, that's certainly a prediction. It's literally the least likely of all 6 remaining outcomes. Winnipeg was a favorite to start this series. They remain a slight favorite.
Did Vegas play the easiest opposition....or did they just make it look easy?

I know I'm probably being hyper-negative here. Just my thoughts on what I've been watching.

The only lineup change I could see benefiting us, is taking out Armia and putting in Roslovic for some added speed and skill (Armia just hasn't looked like himself lately). Then put Tanev back with Lowry and Copp (and have Perreault/Little/Roslovic).

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The most disturbing thing in this round and the last is that a 1 goal deficit is seemingly insurmountable. Not a problem I expected us to have, to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic with how far we've come, but the most disturbing thing to me is that we simply don't show up for large portions of games. We play games where it looks like there is no one who can touch us, then turn in a performance where we either don't give a full effort/focus or don't adjust.

It's not fair to my heart as a fan to show me glimpses of what we can be :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Before the "don't take Vegas lightly" crew jumps on me, I'm not. But if last night was one of their better efforts, I still like our chances.

Jets will fix those breakdowns. They didn't give up those odd man rushes with any frequency against the Preds. Not at all concerned about it being a trend. Vegas capitalized on mistakes, don't make those mistakes.

Reactions: blues10 and Gotaf7

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm on the ledge.

Vegas outplayed the Jets. Jets simply can't keep up with them and now Vegas has figured out the Jets. Doesn't seem like there's anything left in the tank for Winnipeg. We're outcoached. Outworked. Outchanced. I thought Vegas was the strongest team after the first round. They play the best team game I've ever seen. They all buy into the system and do it perfectly. At least Jets managed to win 1 game in the series. It's over in 5.
Good grief, I read a lot of sky is falling hyperbole here but this just might take the cake. It's one game bud, the Jets were not vastly outplayed, relax.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Wow, looking at the posts in this thread I would assume that that Vegas was the better team last night. They weren't
Jets in 5, 6 max.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
This game was nothing like the Preds games. The Jets had tons of zone time and lots of chances. They easily could have had 4-5 goals.

The most distressing thing were the lapses that led to Vegas chances, breakaways. Bad changes, bad puck management. The Jets handed that game away.

Yep that's how I felt.

And that's why it felt really bad. These are the games you feel bad about losing, more than getting outplayed. Kudos to Vegas for taking advantage but it sucks to drop these... especially if they end up being difference makers in the end

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Chiarot looks just fine to me but Enstrom on the other hand not at all, this isn't Enstrom of old. As much as I respect the man he just doesn't have it anymore, every time he touches the puck I get nervous as he is extremely weak on the puck and gets out muscled most of the time which occasionally leads to a lazy penalty. Put Morrow in if Kuli isn't ready to go.
Honestly, people need to get over Enstrom being the same player he was, he's not, but to think that Chiarot or Morrow is a better option baffles the shit out of me. News flash, Toby isn't the biggest guy in the world, that hasn't changed. While his offense has dried up, he is still far better at denying the zone, retrievals and exits than those other two, and Myers for that matter. Enstrom excels at breaking up plays before the blue line and reading the play in support. Buff and him have an excellent partnership in that each one reads the other very well and trusts they will be there for each other for reversals and puck support.

Even though he's slower, I still saw Enstrom outskate the forecheck 3-4 times last night. Chiarot simply can't do that, he's strong but his inabilty to be able to create space causes much havoc for the Jets.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Wow, looking at the posts in this thread I would assume that that Vegas was the better team last night. They weren't
Jets in 5, 6 max.

You must have been watching a different game than all the other posters on here. I'd say the Jet's were outplayed by quite a margin, and were lucky Vegas only had 3 goals.

When I have seen Vegas play this year ( except for last one) they have looked great. This is a very dangerous team. I say the series goes a minimum of 6 but likely 7 games.

I only wish I could be as confident as you--but I do hope your right :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: thegr8one66

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Honestly, people need to get over Enstrom being the same player he was, he's not, but to think that Chiarot or Morrow is a better option baffles the **** out of me. News flash, Toby isn't the biggest guy in the world, that hasn't changed. While his offense has dried up, he is still far better at denying the zone, retrievals and exits than those other two, and Myers for that matter. Enstrom excels at breaking up plays before the blue line and reading the play in support. Buff and him have an excellent partnership in that each one reads the other very well and trusts they will be there for each other for reversals and puck support.

Even though he's slower, I still saw Enstrom outskate the forecheck 3-4 times last night. Chiarot simply can't do that, he's strong but his inabilty to be able to create space causes much havoc for the Jets.
What about Morrow or Kulikov in over Chiarot?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

You must have been watching a different game than all the other posters on here. I'd say the Jet's were outplayed by quite a margin, and were lucky Vegas only had 3 goals.
When I have seen Vegas play this year ( except for last one) they have looked great. This is a very dangerous team. I say the series goes a minimum of 6 but likely 7 games.

I only wish I could be as confident as you--but I do hope your right :cool:
No, he watched the right game. You might want to check your channel listings though.

Reactions: Gotaf7

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

A 1 goal lead in the 1st period of any game where the team trailing actually puts in the effort to come back.... should not be insurmountable, at least not every game.

In the Jets case it's either a statistical anomaly OR they just can't find a way / have not been taught how to find a way to come back.

JMO, but I think once the opposition gets up a goal on the Jets, they have such a high respect for the Jets offensive tools, they just button down and fully concentrate on defense.... and the Jets just can't get around it.

Reactions: GNP and thegr8one66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad