Post-Game Talk: Jets drop Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Winnipeg Jets II just celebrated the 10th anniversary of their return to the NHL and their first ever first round draft pick Mark Scheifele went out of his way to crunch the Habs' No. 4 centerman Jake Evan to vent his frustration instead of poke checking the puck from him. Yes, it was a very selfish play on Mark's part and you could tell Captain Blake Wheeler was very displeased.

The Jets were handicapped by the unavailability of Stastny and DiMelo (during his first shift). Down already 1-0 and missing three key players, it will be an uphill battle by the more talented Jets to win this series.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Hopefully Stastny draws back in next game...

Connor Stastny Ehlers
Perreault Dubois Wheeler
Copp Lowry Appleton
4th line

That wouldn't be bad. Benn for Demelo might be a bigger concern. Ehlers needs to put shit on his back the next couple games.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Hopefully Stastny draws back in next game...

Connor Stastny Ehlers
Perreault Dubois Wheeler
Copp Lowry Appleton
4th line

That wouldn't be bad. Benn for Demelo might be a bigger concern. Ehlers needs to put shit on his back the next couple games.
Yep, with no Scheif it’s the Ehlers show now, whether Mo likes it or not.

Reactions: JetsUK

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Anything more than 1 game and I'd appeal based on the Tom Wilson repeat offenders went WWE on the Rangers a few weeks back now and played the next game. 1 game max and even then I think it's excessive
It should simply be a $5,000 and no suspension for gentleman Mark Scheifele because George Parros set the precedence with Tom Wilson the dirtiest player in the NHL.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
All this "trying to prevent a goal" stuff ......misses two things.

Mark stopped taking skating strides... well short of impact point, so wasn't getting there in time
He made no attempt to use his stick to stop that puck. How else was he going to stop it?

He was pissed off, lined the guy up for that, and let him have it.
Did he have the end result in mind? Of course not. He is not some goon. But it is, what it is.....
Maybe someone has already answered, but this is what makes it not charging. Charging would be if he skated through and accelerated or jumped into him and then would have been an attempt to injure (and saved the goal). There's a grey area about distance, but again, he was slowing down and changed angles.

It was also not a late hit, since
"The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is
rendered immediately following his loss of possession." Even in the IIHL it would only be a 2 minute minor by the book since he began his final approach while the player was in possession.

Maurice said Schief was positive and upbeat on the bench. It's ridiculous to assert that you know he is going against his career's character and turning into a vengeful person.

Again, I HATE dirty hits, even when our players do them. I have called them out in the past. But this simply is overreaction based on the unfortunate end result rather than an analysis of what actually took place. I think this virtue signalling is sad. There was zero attempt to injure, and your statement is entirely conjecture and the evidence you chose proves that he was doing the exact opposite of what you accuse him of.

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Really thankful that our team is stacked down the middle. Hoping just a 1 game suspension for Sheif.
With Statsny out and Mark possibly being suspended, how are the Jets stacked down the middle? Dubois, Perrault and Thompson are the remaining centermen.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Really????
Did you watch the game?
How many times was Scheifele's helmet pulled off and grabbed by the neck from behind?
This is playoff hockey and Scheifele came to play.
I would bet my last dollar if Scheifele did not skate back full steam ... the same people who are calling down the hit would call out Scheifele for not trying.
Quoted for truth. And most of us are fully aware of it.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
With Statsny out and Mark possibly being suspended, how are the Jets stacked down the middle? Dubois, Perrault and Thompson are the remaining centermen.
Lowry helps. Copp if need be, too.

Not saying we're stacked, but we've got some options.

Reactions: jorbjorb

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
How, by diving and putting his own head and neck at risk? He had a fraction of a section to make a decision on how best to prevent the goal. If Evans just stopped behind the net we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Mark Scheifele, had he not slowed down, had a good opportunity to poke check the puck off of Jake Evans. Once Evans scored, Mark's frustration got the better of him.

Reactions: DashingDane

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
People don't realize this but the Habs fans and national media just gave the Jets the push thru needed. The Jets are better as underdogs.. us vs the world mentality. What the media is doing is sad but likely helpful to our team as they appear to relish in the underdog us vs the world mentality. Jets are the villains now even more so after eliminating their beloved McDavid in 4 and now this? This is a great storyline building here. Us vs everyone. Injuries. Adversity.

Habs will be out for revenge. Jets in 5.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
People don't realize this but the Habs fans and national media just gave the Jets the push thru needed. The Jets are better as underdogs.. us vs the world mentality. What the media is doing is sad but likely helpful to our team as they appear to relish in the underdog us vs the world mentality. Jets are the villains now even more so after eliminating their beloved McDavid in 4 and now this? This is a great storyline building here. Us vs everyone. Injuries. Adversity.

Habs will be out for revenge. Jets in 5.

I would agree, but for the fact that the loss of too many key players will remove our ability to win. Its a fine balance. I love adversity, but you need a certain basal level of horsepower to run the quarter mile effectively. The loss of Schief due to suspension comes close to reducing our figurative 392 blown hemi to an LS2. Still with some guts, but not enough.

Reactions: Frendlygiant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad