Post-Game Talk: Jets drop Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I am expecting about 1000 responses to this question .... but I am asking it anyway.

On what grounds does the NHL have to suspend Scheifele?
Was the hit late? No.
Was it a shoulder/elbow to the head? No
Did he leave his feet? No
Was it a cross check? No
From behind? No
Was it necessary? Probably not
How do you suspend a clean hit that had a horrible result?

If anyone gets a chat with the NHL it should be Stanley for the elbow shiver to Perry’s face.

Charging and also likely shoulder to the head. Hopefully NHL has more video and from different angles so they can be 100% hit is on the head if they call it.

From the angle it was shown it looks like Scheifele's shoulder is on Evans head but also the body got hit so it was not "only to the head", though that's not needed for the penalty. Game misconduct was a clear case there. I expect a couple of games for Fefe.

Scheifele was already given up the play as he knew he was too late to prevent the goal, but as he was frustrated he did give the hit nevertheless.

Too late hit? Not really, as the puck did just leave the stick.
Unnecessary and reckless? Of course it was.

It's pretty much the same as those hard hits you see sometimes just fraction of a second before the game ends from a losing team player. No point other than showing the frustration or "giving a message".

Reactions: DashingDane

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
E2-G-YJVkAQY2ZX

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I could actually totally see him doing it but I'd agree he might have kept his head up or been more aware of his surroundings.
Watch the play and look at how often Evans looks around the ice once he enters the Jets zone... he is almost completely concentrated on the puck

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Watch the play and look at how often Evans looks around the ice once he enters the Jets zone... he is almost completely concentrated on the puck

I'm not saying he has no fault in this. I'm saying Scheif should have been smarter. To me this is clear cut out of frustration and not because he thinks he is about to stop a goal.

Reactions: Halberdier

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hard to criticize any of the Jets players last night individually b/c no one played well or even skated hard consistently, the entire team was still in layoff mode......mental mistakes all night, no hands, no skating legs.....that’s the worse game Ive seen them play since their losing streak. That team last night wouldn’t of one a single game vs the Oilers in rd one

Im worried what was already going to be a tough series is only gotten tougher now with Mark suspension & injuries and how both those things effect the team mentality & lines/usage. Major curveballs.

That being said neither the Habs or Jets have much of a chance vs the Avalanche IMO. I think the Avalanche will face Bolts in the final, that will be a good series.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
My buddy always used to joke “2 minutes for hitting him too hard”, but the way the charging rule is written, that’s exactly what this is. If you violently hit someone, it is charging. I don’t know how you can even make a bone jarring hit without a charging call now. This suspension Gonna end up kinda precedent setting for big hits.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

How is it different from this hit? Buff glides in from the top of the circles and lights him up.

The only real difference I see is that one guy got hurt and the other guy didn't.

Buff didn’t charge into the hit.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
It's the look of a guy who did exactly what he intended to do but can't believe the result. He wanted to hit the guy, he wanted to send a message, but he certainly didn't mean to nearly kill him.

Likely ya. I didn’t know he could even hit someone remotely that hard and inflict that punishment. I’m guessing he didn’t either.

None

Feb 22, 2012
My buddy always used to joke “2 minutes for hitting him too hard”, but the way the charging rule is written, that’s exactly what this is. If you violently hit someone, it is charging. I don’t know how you can even make a bone jarring hit without a charging call now. This suspension Gonna end up kinda precedent setting for big hits.

Despite it not being clear in the language used to describe it how it tends to be judged is the strides leading up to the hit. I think it's generally considered charging if you either don't stop your stride before 1.8m/6ft from contact OR if you launch yourself up and into the hit while also leaving your feet (head contact isn't necessary, the hit is deemed violent at the discretion of the referee).

One of my biggest complaints with the NHL's rulebook is the vagueness that leaves things to interpretation, the only calls that referees manage to get right with any consistency are the ones that are completely clearly described ie. puck over glass or high sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce