Post-Game Talk: Jets drop Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Despite it not being clear in the language used to describe it how it tends to be judged is the strides leading up to the hit. I think it's generally considered charging if you either don't stop your stride before 1.8m/6ft from contact OR if you launch yourself up and into the hit while also leaving your feet (head contact isn't necessary, the hit is deemed violent at the discretion of the referee).

One of my biggest complaints with the NHL's rulebook is the vagueness that leaves things to interpretation, the only calls that referees manage to get right with any consistency are the ones that are completely clearly described ie. puck over glass or high sticking.

I 100% agree. Get the rulebook cleared up and and that would eliminate a lot of confusion.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think the hearing was or will be short. Scheifele will say "I can't believe he didn't think I was going to hit him."

They'll probably leave it at the automatic suspension--the non-DoPS department will probably not rescind the charging major--Scheifele will say "that's bullshoot", and all the 'distance traveled' people will remain frothing but still take it as validation that their lousy takes were right.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
This passes for journalism in some places (since deleted)
E2-RM4NVUAAHs9c

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Mark Scheifele, had he not slowed down, had a good opportunity to poke check the puck off of Jake Evans. Once Evans scored, Mark's frustration got the better of him.
To do a poke check at full speed at that location would have necessitated Scheifele being unable to stop and hit some combination of the post, the boards and likely Evans as well at full speed. We now would be talking about how we hope Mark isn’t hurt too badly and discussing when he will be able to play again.

ElLoboBlanco

Jan 20, 2021
I've watched the clip over and over...honestly it just looks to me like Chef lets up and starts gliding when he realizes he's not going to prevent the goal. Then he just carries through with the hit anyway. It looks terrible to me...

Looks to me like Chef let's up because he thinks Evans was going to stop up behind the net and make a pass out front....

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
It's the look of a guy who did exactly what he intended to do but can't believe the result. He wanted to hit the guy, he wanted to send a message, but he certainly didn't mean to nearly kill him.
If we're going to play the "make up a narrative game", it's just as likely that it's the look of someone that is shocked believe an NHL player would actually put his head down and lean forward into a hit when he was clearly coming from the front in full view of said player, and is worried for the health of his fellow athlete.

Remember that visual reaction time is .25 for humans, and that's just instinct reactions not fleshed-out complex thoughts. This is also a rare situation, since in regular season no one skates that hard to save a goal, and new situations take more time for a brain to process, including projection and anticipation.

Only Schiefele knows his complete intention, but based on his character over his whole career, the most likely intention was not complex: he was trying to stop a goal and wasn't thinking of the myriad implications and possibilities (those kind of people who can do that skill quickly are typically crappy athletes because their decision-making takes too long).

Reactions: kanadalainen

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
This passes for journalism in some places (since deleted)
E2-RM4NVUAAHs9c

Don't journalists have blue checkmarks?

The froth coming from Basu, among others, clearly shows that being a Habs fan is prerequisite for Montreal sports writers, but is this one?

Reactions: DannyGallivan

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Kelly Rhudey thinks a 1 game suspension, and Cassie Campbell says 2. I think he'll get 1 game tops, but I hope he gets zero. He's not a dirty player, no past record, and was skating full blast to save the empty net goal.

You really could argue he was just trying to take the guy out, with no malicious intent ?? Tough to say. Only Mark knows his "intent." Also when he hit the guy, the player had his head out a bit in front, to try and track the puck, so it was pretty hard not to somehow hit his upper chest and head at the same time.

They may have to give him 1 game to satisfy all the media pundits, although it wouldn't surprise me he gets off with a fine, because of a very clean career past record.
Former Hab George Parros will definitely suspend Mark Sheifele to appease the rabid Habs fans. I predict a 3-gamer so Mark doesn't get to face the Centre Bell lunatics.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Despite it not being clear in the language used to describe it how it tends to be judged is the strides leading up to the hit. I think it's generally considered charging if you either don't stop your stride before 1.8m/6ft from contact OR if you launch yourself up and into the hit while also leaving your feet (head contact isn't necessary, the hit is deemed violent at the discretion of the referee).

One of my biggest complaints with the NHL's rulebook is the vagueness that leaves things to interpretation, the only calls that referees manage to get right with any consistency are the ones that are completely clearly described ie. puck over glass or high sticking.
But if the rulebook was clear, how could the refs manage the game?

:sarcasm:

I agree with you - clarity is helpful.

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Looks to me like Chef let's up because he thinks Evans was going to stop up behind the net and make a pass out front....

I was watching again, and I don’t think schief knew what evans was gonna do. To me it looks like when he’s gliding back he is guessing evans is swinging around the boards and Mark is gonna play the body. If you watch the glide closely 55’s skates do a Little course correction when he realizes Evans is gonna tuck it. He reacts and the result is carnage.

Reactions: TommyKillian

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No game talk here, just the hit chat. We can move this to the series thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce