Post-Game Talk: Jets Dismount Knights 5-1, Lead Series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
At some point, yes, he'll need to learn to play in this environment - I'm not sure this is the right time.

The big difference is the struggle he has had with staying healthy - it's only going to be much harder in the PO's.
IMO, there's a significant chance that he will get hurt - and the question is, do we need him in the line up bad enough to risk that?

I argued 2 months ago that they should shelve his season and get him back to working on his body straight through the off season - I haven't changed my mind because we are now in the PO's - because the risk only increases in this setting.

I understand why you want him in the lineup - I just don't agree - so let's agree to disagree

Really like Perfetti but agree with this post. He got bounced around pretty good in a few games in the regular season and seems prone to taking big hits poorly because he still needs to bulk up more. Playoffs now after a layoff is not setting him up for success.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
What does it mean to be "a bit dirty"? (No smutty remarks, please.)

We didn't injure anyone on the Knights. We didn't send bodies flying all over the ice. We didn't take any more penalties than they did. We took three apiece. Theirs were for slashing, boarding and hooking; our penalties were for slashing, cross-checking, and too many men. Unless having too many men on the ice is considered especially gross, I'm not seeing why they would call us a bit dirty.

EDIT: As opposed to Minnesota's Reaves, cf: really dirty.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I was listening to a Vegas Golden Knights' podcast this afternoon and they were talking about how the Jets play a bit dirty and that Vegas should try to fight fire with fire and play dirty as well.
This is such a weird take for me from different fanbases. If anything the Jets are pretty passive on the forecheck and on the body generally.

Minnesota had gripes that no one could understand when they spent the entire game taking runs and Vegas is whining too. Their goalie literally frog splashed one of our forwards while another of their players drove Barron’s face into his skate blade and held it there.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

We didn't injure anyone on the Knights. We didn't send bodies flying all over the ice. We didn't take any more penalties than they did. We took three apiece. Theirs were for slashing, boarding and hooking; our penalties were for slashing, cross-checking, and too many men. Unless having too many men on the ice is considered especially gross, I'm not seeing why they would call us a bit dirty.

I’d say they were dirtier. Late hit on Schief. A player holding sakman while another punching him. Don’t all teams think their opponents are dirty?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Penalties don't always tell the tale. I've been to several games where Dillon takes liberties with the retreating forwards, usually interference or the occasional hooking. Some refs head back up ice faster than others and Dilly picks his spots carefully. You don't see it on the game sheet but the stories get passed around the players.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
I dont know why, but i get the impression Ehlers can play..

The Conspiracy Theorist in me thinks Bones was so happy with the North South play that he's probably asking the med staff, "Ehlers is still injured, right?"

Crazy I know.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I saw that clip a few times but I thought they'd be talking to each other in French.
Nope, I can clearly see him saying suck it in English. Speaking of which, if the science stuff was to confuse a stalker what's your real faculty? I'm guessing it's English, given your vocabulary, and prof mother, and the way you write better than most of us. Not prying, just curious.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yes, he showed good sportsmanship after the injury. Yes, his concern was genuine. But he still did it.

Go back and look at the hilights. The Jets' Runway video has a good view of it. Watch it again in slow motion. Barron pulls his head back from the skate, Stephenson's stick contacts the back of Barron's helmet/neck and pushes it onto the blade.

The rule book says you are always responsible for your stick. How many times have we seen a Jet get a high-sticking penalty this year when their arm swung behind them and their stick clipped someone they didn't even know was there? Stephenson knew Barron was there and acted deliberately.
No disrespect, but this is nonsense. No way Stephenson deliberately did that.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I dont know why, but i get the impression Ehlers can play..

The Conspiracy Theorist in me thinks Bones was so happy with the North South play that he's probably asking the med staff, "Ehlers is still injured, right?"

Crazy I know.
The med staff is probably telling him, "If you really need him, we can okay him to play with a clear conscience, but the longer he's kept out the better he'll heal."

No disrespect, but this is nonsense. No way Stephenson deliberately did that.
Yeah, I've been talked out of it to by now. Had more steam under my collar when I was skimming thru the hilites this morning. And don't worry about the disrespect nonsense, I've got 3 daughters and a passel of grandkids that we're hoping grow up to be assertive.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Because he was one of the better players on the team during the year. He played a big role in the first half that got the team to the playoffs to begin with.

Also how do you think the player will feel getting held out when healthy, do you think he's going to want to commit to the team long term? The org has to manage relationships as well and given how important Cole is to the org I don't see them potentially poisoning that well to keep some dim a dozen waiver guys in the lineup.

No team purposefully holds out its better players when healthy.
The Knights were 19-9-5 without Stone this season, but there was no chance he wasn’t playing once healthy.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I just don't remember him being a difference maker in any way in the last 1/2 dozen games before his injury. Even before that, maybe his last dozen games. I just don't recall him standing out, offensively or defensively. I know they sheltered him greatly on dzone starts all season. If the team has it going, I just don't see much upside in forcing him back into a lineup that's working. If it's not working, ok then let's go.
To be fair, was anyone a difference maker in the stretch you’re referencing? Particularly the half dozen before his injury, the whole team was pretty indifferent a lot of nights. Which got progressively worse during his absence I’d also add.
I get your point but they were playing very good hockey with Perfetti in the lineup for a good portion of the year. Their game right now resembles that period, one which Perfetti was a big contributor to.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I saw that clip a few times but I thought they'd be talking to each other in French.

Broissoit is from BC, he doesn't speak French.

As to your earlier post about what "a bit dirty" means, it's a late hit, an extra shot after the whistle, a crosscheck in front of the net. A more extreme example is Pionk on Johansson at the end of the game against the Wild.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Broissoit is from BC, he doesn't speak French.

As to your earlier post about what "a bit dirty" means, it's a late hit, an extra shot after the whistle, a crosscheck in front of the net. A more extreme example is Pionk on Johansson at the end of the game against the Wild.
BC? No wonder he doesn't speak French. So I'm guilty of stereotyping.

And I'm thinking that being a bit dirty means being just like every other team.

Nope, I can clearly see him saying suck it in English. Speaking of which, if the science stuff was to confuse a stalker what's your real faculty? I'm guessing it's English, given your vocabulary, and prof mother, and the way you write better than most of us. Not prying, just curious.
Yes, English Department, Faculty of Arts. Nothing wrong with curiosity, just keep it in check.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
1681946858943.png

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

I like my hockey teams like I like my lawyers.... only the very best, with just the right amount of dirty.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Name a player that last 5 games he played who was standing out. It was the beginning of the team wide slide that persisted long past his injury.

He had 10 points in his last 16 games. He had the third best 5 on 5 points per 60 and the 2nd best shooting metics on the team that period. He has the best goal differential among forwards on the team on the year.

But yeah we couldn't use one of the teams best outscorers in the playoffs.

Well, I would have to go back and re-watch those 5 games to see who stood out. We were 3 wins, 2 losses. I am sure some folks did. 0.600 points percentage hockey is not a slide.

I see why you picked 16 games. Since he had 6 of his 10 points between 13 and 16 games ago.

He had 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 12 games. He had 1 point in the last 5 games he played. Well, the last 7 actually.

He will be rusty, he is not strong defensively and he is not built for playoff hockey. If the team is rolling, I don't see why we would upset that and put him back just because. I am not convinced he would make the Jets better at this specific time of year in defensive, tight, rough, greasy, playoff hockey. Now, if the team is not getting it done, sure. Just my 0.02.

Reactions: GNP and Potential

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, I would have to go back and re-watch those 5 games to see who stood out. We were 3 wins, 2 losses. I am sure some folks did. 0.600 points percentage hockey is not a slide.

I see why you picked 16 games. Since he had 6 of his 10 points between 13 and 16 games ago.

He had 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 12 games. He had 1 point in the last 5 games he played. Well, the last 7 actually.

He will be rusty, he is not strong defensively and he is not built for playoff hockey. If the team is rolling, I don't see why we would upset that and put him back just because. I am not convinced he would make the Jets better at this specific time of year in defensive, tight, rough, greasy, playoff hockey. Now, if the team is not getting it done, sure. Just my 0.02.
He had a slump, happens to all players. Dubois only had 5 points in that 12 game stretch for instance and had the benefit of top pp minutes. He also had other stretches of scoreless periods this year and always broke out of them in a big way.

We can disagree about built for playoff hockey. Tonnes of small skilled players are excelling in the playoffs these days. No reason a player as smart and talented as him can't also figure it out and contribute.

Maybe if this team continues to play flawless hockey you'd have a point but I guarantee that won't happen. They will hit some speed bumps and the team isn't talented enough to leave talent on the shelf.

Reactions: Potential

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
He had a slump, happens to all players. Dubois only had 5 points in that 12 game stretch for instance and had the benefit of top pp minutes. He also had other stretches of scoreless periods this year and always broke out of them in a big way.

We can disagree about built for playoff hockey. Tonnes of small skilled players are excelling in the playoffs these days. No reason a player as smart and talented as him can't also figure it out and contribute.

Maybe if this team continues to play flawless hockey you'd have a point but I guarantee that won't happen. They will hit some speed bumps and the team isn't talented enough to leave talent on the shelf.
Flawless hockey, dont think it exists. But sure, when the team isn't getting it done, when we hit some speed bumps, maybe put him in.

Reactions: Potential

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Flawless hockey, dont think it exists. But sure, when the team isn't getting it done, when we hit some speed bumps, maybe put him in.
His defensive metrics for the year were excellent, amongst the tops on the team and his plus minus was best of the entire forward group. Add to that he is better offensively than everyone in the bottom six, and I am not sure what the argument is.

i don't think they should rush him back, the team is doing well and his future is more important than a playoff run , but if he is healthy he certainly helps the team be better

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It's interesting that more than one team has said that now (Nashville I think). Perhaps we don't see it with our Jets goggles on.

Not advocating dirty stuff but if they are playing with some edge I think that's a good sign for the playoffs. Beats the loops and pirouettes they were doing a couple months back.
Dirty stuff? No, this can't be so.

Away and begone with thee, foul dirt. :)

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 7.33.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad