Post-Game Talk: Jets Dismount Knights 5-1, Lead Series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So I have a theory

This current lineup is very very effective playing bones hockey. All 4 lines are big and direct. All 4 lines had a back checker hard on the park all night.

The only goal we gave up was Wheeler screwing up his assignment.

Vegas had a few chances but for the most part they were in tight which I have to say seems almost impossible to score on Helly unless its the 2nd or 3rd attempt in tight.

Be interesting to see what they do when we have Ehlers and Perfetti back. Where would you slot Perfetti?

This team was at it's best when playing Bones hockey. When they went away from it, results were very spotty.

I am probably an outlier here, but I am not convinced that adding Perfetti into Jets playoff hockey after such a long time and long recovery period would be a positive for this group now that we are in the post season. Maybe if the scoring dries up and you have to shake things up, but otherwise I just don't see the why.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I wonder how he can rate so differently from his own linemates in a one game sample?
Random noise, bad luck, his dirty Finnish heritage, he's a bad hockey player, he was much worse than his closest teammate (Gustafsson's 47.32% vs Maenalanen's 42.53%) in the regular season and this is just a continuation of that.

Pick one or all of them. It's probably not the Finnish thing though.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Two of Helle's first 4 saves were on point-blank shots which few goalies would stop. If he lets in those 2 or even 1 of them, it makes a very early shift in the tone of the game, maybe enough to change our style of play. Helle was definitely a star.
Imagine if that early Pionk gift turnover gets converted by the Knights. Less than 3 minutes into the game. Helle has been covering up Pionk's mistakes for the last couple of years. It's just that Pionk makes so many mistakes, you can't fix them all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This team was at it's best when playing Bones hockey. When they went away from it, results were very spotty.

I am probably an outlier here, but I am not convinced that adding Perfetti into Jets playoff hockey after such a long time and long recovery period would be a positive for this group now that we are in the post season. Maybe if the scoring dries up and you have to shake things up, but otherwise I just don't see the why.

Because he was one of the better players on the team during the year. He played a big role in the first half that got the team to the playoffs to begin with.

Also how do you think the player will feel getting held out when healthy, do you think he's going to want to commit to the team long term? The org has to manage relationships as well and given how important Cole is to the org I don't see them potentially poisoning that well to keep some dim a dozen waiver guys in the lineup.

No team purposefully holds out its better players when healthy.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Random noise, bad luck, his dirty Finnish heritage, he's a bad hockey player, he was much worse than his closest teammate (Gustafsson's 47.32% vs Maenalanen's 42.53%) in the regular season and this is just a continuation of that.

Pick one or all of them. It's probably not the Finnish thing though.

Well, what I mean is that XG is not an individual stat... it's an 'on-ice' stat, right? So how could one guy rate differently from the other guys who are all on the ice at the same time as him? In fact, how could it be that one person rates completely differently in XG from anyone else on the team? Unless it so happened that the worst XG events all happened when Saku happened to be caught shifting with other linemates?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this stat. But I certainly don't mean this as a defense of the player, who I agree has been a black hole all year.

Reactions: Potential

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Because he was one of the better players on the team during the year. He played a big role in the first half that got the team to the playoffs to begin with.

Also how do you think the player will feel getting held out when healthy, do you think he's going to want to commit to the team long term? The org has to manage relationships as well and given how important Cole is to the org I don't see them potentially poisoning that well to keep some dim a dozen waiver guys in the lineup.

No team purposefully holds out its better players when healthy.
There is a reason why he would not play him in the last few minutes of tight games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a reason why he would not play him in the last few minutes of tight games.

I mean he was in the last minutes of the last game he played and it was tight. His empty net points would also counter that claim. There are 58 other minutes in a game as well so I'm not sure what your point is. He shouldn't play because we may need to defend a lead with 2 minutes left? What about if the team needs a goal with two minutes left or if the pp continues to suck and we need help there?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well, what I mean is that XG is not an individual stat... it's an 'on-ice' stat, right? So how could one guy rate differently from the other guys who are all on the ice at the same time as him? In fact, how could it be that one person rates completely differently in XG from anyone else on the team? Unless it so happened that the worst XG events all happened when Saku happened to be caught shifting with other linemates?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this stat. But I certainly don't mean this as a defense of the player, who I agree has been a black hole all year.
No, you got it right, and your last sentence in the first paragraph probably captures exactly what happens. Either that or he missed out on the best xG events while his other linemates were on the ice.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
where are you finding difference of EV and Special Teams Shifts broken out?
I am not sure if any site has it differentiated for all of the regular season.
I usually check espn.com/nhl/scoreboard on a game by game basis for
SHFT
TOI
PPTOI
SHTOI
ESTOI
for individual players (go to Box Score)

Fox Sports has regular season stats for players including shifts per game and shift length. For Ehlers the link is
www.foxsports.com/nhl/nikolaj-ehlers-player-stats?category=icetime&seasonType=reg
and shows 0:47 shift length and 19.8 shifts per game for Ehlers

0:54 and 22.7 for Connor
0:55 and 22.0 for Scheifele
0:47 and 21.5 for Wheeler
0:50 and 22.0 for PLD

Connor also PK's and these guys have all played more PP1 than Ehlers this season [edit: Wheeler the exception having played slightly less PP/game] which can explain one or two more shifts per game, so really, Ehlers is playing maybe one less shift at ES per game this season (after being eased back from injury and surgery).

If anything, I would rather attribute that one less shift per game to the slightly lower talent level of line mates (now Names and Wheeler) than to Ehlers. I mean, three of the Big-4 plays on the same line atm, so it's only natural to play that line slightly more than the Ehlers line.
His shifts aren't really any shorter then most. His are 47 seconds on average which is the same as Cole and Blake.
Yes, but shorter than KC, Scheif, and PLD

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think all three mentioned have been the top 3 players during that stretch. But I'm sometimes a bit biased towards Ehlers because I'm such a big fan of his game. You have to admit your own fan love sometimes at least to reflect your own opinion :D
Yup - I'm also guilty of that

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Happy the team won in such a dominant fashion. I expect a serious pushback from the Knights and as much as I would love to see them come home up 2-0, I won't be upset if they lose a close one Thursday. As long as they put in the same kind of effort they did last night.

In other news does that Copp trade look good on the team now?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am not sure if any site has it differentiated for all of the regular season.
I usually check espn.com/nhl/scoreboard on a game by game basis for
SHFT
TOI
PPTOI
SHTOI
ESTOI
for individual players (go to Box Score)

Fox Sports has regular season stats for players including shifts per game and shift length. For Ehlers the link is
www.foxsports.com/nhl/nikolaj-ehlers-player-stats?category=icetime&seasonType=reg
and shows 0:47 shift length and 19.8 shifts per game for Ehlers

0:54 and 22.7 for Connor
0:55 and 22.0 for Scheifele
0:47 and 21.5 for Wheeler
0:50 and 22.0 for PLD

Connor also PK's and these guys have all played more PP1 than Ehlers this season, which can explain one or two more shifts per game, so really, Ehlers is playing maybe one less shift at ES per game this season (after being eased back from injury and surgery).

If anything, I would rather attribute that one less shift per game to the slightly lower talent level of line mates (now Names and Wheeler) than to Ehlers. I mean, three of the Big-4 plays on the same line atm, so it's only natural to play that line slightly more than the Ehlers line.

Yes, but shorter than KC, Scheif, and PLD
ah ok

NHL.com has it the same but just wondering if somewhere differentiate EV vs Special Teams (and then get your corresponding Shift-Length Average from there).

Thanks.

Reactions: Potential and hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I wonder how he can rate so differently from his own linemates in a one game sample?
you get caught on the ice and give up a high-danger chance against w/ a different set of linemates. or your linemates create a chance-for w/ a different line-mate while your off the ice in the midst of a change (& the vice-versas too).

it's no different from getting being on the ice - in the middle of a change - for a GF/GA and it hitting your +/- differently compared to your regular linemates.

edit - saw @Romang67 basically answer.

also he played with barbashev+marchessault as well as stone+stephenson, both lines got on the wrong side of xGF, however the barbashev-eichel-marchessault combo was worse while playing roughly 75% of the amount TOI of the other line. so that would weigh him down comparatively to stone/stephenson who played nearly the whole game together.

edit #2 - completely mis-followed the OP LOL. saw it was a tweet highlighting Eichel, but the HF discussion was on Saku. but same principle could apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potential and hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yup. Our goal scoring was real good when it was

connor-dubois-scheifele
ehlers-names-wheeler
nino-lowry-appleton

id keep rolling like that.

nino has been a god-send to this team imo. his versatility, generating scoring chances, scoring, physicality etc all make him suitable forward anywhere and with anyone. can play with skill or grind-happy players effectively w/o much, if any, drop-off

Yeppers.

Would also add that the revival of the hapless PP1 coincided with the return of BL and the inclusion of Ehlers as zone-entry monster with a wicked shot.

I thought the Wheels/ Names/ 27 line looked great once put together. Not many 2nd lines that are going to find them easy to play against.

Just catching up, won't be able to watch any of these live but great to see a win and an oil painting win at that.

H'away the lads!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I mean he was in the last minutes of the last game he played and it was tight. His empty net points would also counter that claim. There are 58 other minutes in a game as well so I'm not sure what your point is. He shouldn't play because we may need to defend a lead with 2 minutes left? What about if the team needs a goal with two minutes left or if the pp continues to suck and we need help there?
I just don't remember him being a difference maker in any way in the last 1/2 dozen games before his injury. Even before that, maybe his last dozen games. I just don't recall him standing out, offensively or defensively. I know they sheltered him greatly on dzone starts all season. If the team has it going, I just don't see much upside in forcing him back into a lineup that's working. If it's not working, ok then let's go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad