Post-Game Talk: Jets Dismount Knights 5-1, Lead Series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just don't remember him being a difference maker in any way in the last 1/2 dozen games before his injury. Even before that, maybe his last dozen games. I just don't recall him standing out, offensively or defensively. I know they sheltered him greatly on dzone starts all season. If the team has it going, I just don't see much upside in forcing him back into a lineup that's working. If it's not working, ok then let's go.
Yeah I'm kind of torn about it. I wouldn't want to risk reinjury for a guy especially if the team is winning. However, I do understand the thought that you dress your best.

Reactions: Potential

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Do you mean Machetekasproingdopplegangerpaassduhsalt?
I just call him Marshmallow, its way easier and close enough.:laugh:

It's always fascinating the way guys will analyze various plays to death, right down to the split second, stuff you have to watch in slow motion to even see. Maybe life is passing me by unnoticed, but I just like to watch hockey as it happens, yelling, squirming, groaning, and cheering. If it's on somebody's screen, I might jump up and down in excitement, but I've learned not to do that with my laptop on....my lap.

Watching hockey is the second most fun a girl can have alone. You really don't need to analyze every single moment to enjoy it.
What's the 1st? :naughty::laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I just don't remember him being a difference maker in any way in the last 1/2 dozen games before his injury. Even before that, maybe his last dozen games. I just don't recall him standing out, offensively or defensively. I know they sheltered him greatly on dzone starts all season. If the team has it going, I just don't see much upside in forcing him back into a lineup that's working. If it's not working, ok then let's go.

Name a player that last 5 games he played who was standing out. It was the beginning of the team wide slide that persisted long past his injury.

He had 10 points in his last 16 games. He had the third best 5 on 5 points per 60 and the 2nd best shooting metics on the team that period. He has the best goal differential among forwards on the team on the year.

But yeah we couldn't use one of the teams best outscorers in the playoffs.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Name a player that last 5 games he played who was standing out. It was the beginning of the team wide slide that persisted long past his injury.

He had 10 points in his last 16 games and has the best goal differential among forwards on the team on the year.

But yeah we couldn't use one of the teams best outscorers in the playoffs.
I agree but because he's been out so long i would ease him in on the 4th line at first. Saying we shouldn't put Ehlers back in the lineup when he's ready to go by some people boggles the mind for me. Ehlers is our fastest player and creates all sort of match up problems for the other team.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah I'm kind of torn about it. I wouldn't want to risk reinjury for a guy especially if the team is winning. However, I do understand the thought that you dress your best.
I agree that you should dress your best - but It'll come down to how he handles PO hockey.
I'm not sure tbh - and I don't know if coming off a major injury is the best time to find out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree but because he's been out so long i would ease him in on the 4th line at first. Saying we shouldn't put Ehlers back in the lineup when he's ready to go by some people boggles the mind for me. Ehlers is our fastest player and creates all sort of match up problems for the other team.

Yes you start him on the 4th with second unit pp time. You then have the option to move him up as needed.

I am happy with Names performance for us but I have major doubts he can keep this up. He has never proven in his entire career he can handle a top 6 role over the long term. If we are to go far I believe they are going to have to move Mark back to the middle and create two strong offensive lines at some point.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree that you should dress your best - but It'll come down to how he handles PO hockey.
I'm not sure tbh - and I don't know if coming off a major injury is the best time to find out.

You never know how anyone handles it until they play in it. Plenty of players come back into playoff hockey right after a lengthy injury layoff. We saw it last night with Stone for instance.

The Jets are able to shelter him on the fourth line and second pp unit until he gets up to speed as well.

Also I find the notion that playoff hockey is this physical bloodbath to be outdated and not accurate. Yeah the battle level is ratcheted up but I don't see any difference in the number of bone crushing hits being thrown. It most seems to come out in scrums after the whistle.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he had like 2 goals in his past 20-25 gp prior to injury. he was getting a lot of assists riding coattails with scheifele who was converting on everything to start the year. at the end of the day he's one of the 12 best Fwds we can ice, so he should play somewhere. i don't think you'd disrupt the top-9 though. if he gets hurt, he gets hurt and you live with it:dunno:. he isn't just going to be all of a sudden a different player in terms of his propensity of getting hurt in this short of time imo. there's not much you can do at this point.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You never know how anyone handles it until they play in it. Plenty of players come back into playoff hockey right after a lengthy injury layoff. We saw it last night with Stone for instance.

The Jets are able to shelter him on the fourth line and second pp unit until he gets up to speed as well.

Also I find the notion that playoff hockey is this physical bloodbath to be outdated and not accurate. Yeah the battle level is ratcheted up but I don't see any difference in the number of bone crushing hits being thrown. It most seems to come out in scrums after the whistle.
PO hockey is at another level - with pretty much every aspect including the physical side.
I can see a smaller, less physical player like perfetti, coming off an injury (again), might struggle with it - to what extent, IDK.
And no, it's not a bloodbath but I didn't say it was - and it doesn't have to be to be considered a concern with this player.
I get that you will defend this player to your last breath - that's fine - but there is risk here and I find it hard to ignore.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
PO hockey is at another level - with pretty much every aspect including the physical side.
I can see a smaller, less physical player like perfetti, coming off an injury (again), might struggle with it - to what extent, IDK.
And no, it's not a bloodbath but I didn't say it was - and it doesn't have to be to be considered a concern with this player.
I get that you will defend this player to your last breath - that's fine - but there is risk here and I find it hard to ignore.

There is a risk for every player each time they step on the ice. Look who the lightning lost last night, two big and physical defensive players for instance.

I am not advocating playing him or Ehlers until they are 100% medically cleared but if they are cleared then I'd deem the risk of them getting re-injured or hurt as no different then had they not been injured.

At some point he is going to have to learn about playoff hockey and learn to play it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Vegas really played like crap for a lot of the game - and hey, the Jets played well too. But I don't think every game is going to be a 5-1 win for the Jets...even with Brossoit between the pipes.

Speaking of, I doubt Brossoit gets the call for game 2. Quick is old and was never actually great, but maybe he's got something left in the tank for the playoffs. I hope that's not the case, though and he just gets beclowned by the Jets.... :laugh:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
There is a risk for every player each time they step on the ice. Look who the lightning lost last night, two big and physical defensive players for instance.

I am not advocating playing him or Ehlers until they are 100% medically cleared but if they are cleared then I'd deem the risk of them getting re-injured or hurt as no different then had they not been injured.

At some point he is going to have to learn about playoff hockey and learn to play it.
At some point, yes, he'll need to learn to play in this environment - I'm not sure this is the right time.

The big difference is the struggle he has had with staying healthy - it's only going to be much harder in the PO's.
IMO, there's a significant chance that he will get hurt - and the question is, do we need him in the line up bad enough to risk that?

I argued 2 months ago that they should shelve his season and get him back to working on his body straight through the off season - I haven't changed my mind because we are now in the PO's - because the risk only increases in this setting.

I understand why you want him in the lineup - I just don't agree - so let's agree to disagree

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At some point, yes, he'll need to learn to play in this environment - I'm not sure this is the right time.

The big difference is the struggle he has had with staying healthy - it's only going to be much harder in the PO's.
IMO, there's a significant chance that he will get hurt - and the question is, do we need him in the line up bad enough to risk that?

I argued 2 months ago that they should shelve his season and get him back to working on his body straight through the off season - I haven't changed my mind because we are now in the PO's - because the risk only increases in this setting.

I understand why you want him in the lineup - I just don't agree - so let's agree to disagree

Fair enough but without knowing what his injury and how it's healed no way of knowing if he stands bigger chance of getting injured or not.

I also trust that our medical staff won't allow him to play if they deem reinjury a significant risk. His shoulder was healed two weeks after injuring it last year but they shut him down to deal with a lingering back issue even though he was playing through it beforehand. If he is inserted it will because the medical team signs off on it and I have no reason to think they will be anything but thorough.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yeah I'm a bit confused -- are we talking about Nik drawing back in if he can or about shoehorning in Perfetti once he's healthy?

If the former, Ehlers slots easily back with the 26/7 and adds a ton of speed and shot options to the PP. Keeping him out so SakMan gets more reps seems like a terrible idea to me.

Cole P is trickier. He's been out for ages and is going to need a game or two to be back at speed. He doesn't currently PK but adds some balance and danger to PP2 and whatever other line he's on.

I still put him in over SakMan, etc. But then I'd play everyone else over Sak -- just don't see what he adds when Gus, Barron, AJF and even Stenlund can do what he does and more. He's this year's Nate T for me.

Onwards!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah I'm a bit confused -- are we talking about Nik drawing back in if he can or about shoehorning in Perfetti once he's healthy?

If the former, Ehlers slots easily back with the 26/7 and adds a ton of speed and shot options to the PP. Keeping him out so SakMan gets more reps seems like a terrible idea to me.

Cole P is trickier. He's been out for ages and is going to need a game or two to be back at speed. He doesn't currently PK but adds some balance and danger to PP2 and whatever other line he's on.

I still put him in over SakMan, etc. But then I'd play everyone else over Sak -- just don't see what he adds when Gus, Barron, AJF and even Stenlund can do what he does and more. He's this year's Nate T for me.

Onwards!
Barron is the best of that bunch. Gus is to slow and Saks man adds speed over him. More physicality over ajf. Stenlund I’d rate as second best as bottom 6 options you just mentioned. Faster than Gus, pks well and is good on face offs.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I was listening to a Vegas Golden Knights' podcast this afternoon and they were talking about how the Jets play a bit dirty and that Vegas should try to fight fire with fire and play dirty as well.
It's interesting that more than one team has said that now (Nashville I think). Perhaps we don't see it with our Jets goggles on.

Not advocating dirty stuff but if they are playing with some edge I think that's a good sign for the playoffs. Beats the loops and pirouettes they were doing a couple months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad