GDT: Jets @ Devils | Sun Feb 24 | 4:00PM CT | Zachy Reds Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
x2. I can't wait to see Torts' interview after the Jets beat the Rangers! :laugh:

I can already see what he might say if the Jets win that game. haha

Interviewer: "So what did you think of the game today?"
Torts: "Maybe you guys should go ask ****in' Claude Noel, he always has something funny to say, what did I tell you guys about stupid questions?"

lol

Anyways todays game, going in kinda meh because of yesterday..

If we win.. Jets 3-1
If we lose.. Devils 4-2

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013
I'd like to see Buff show up today. He's been playing like a complete feather all year. HIT SOMEONE!!!!!!!

I don't expect much from him today though. He looked slow, sloppy and fell down often in Philly. I doubt Buff will actually "get up" for a back to back game situation. He's been completely disinterested since he returned from his mysterious injury.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'd like to see Buff show up today. He's been playing like a complete feather all year. HIT SOMEONE!!!!!!!

I don't expect much from him today though. He looked slow, sloppy and fell down often in Philly. I doubt Buff will actually "get up" for a back to back game situation. He's been completely disinterested since he returned from his mysterious injury.

Not mysterious.
We found out it was a pulled groin.

Which makes sense with not being fully back and the falling as those tend to chronically bother for a long while.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
A small part of me hopes we go into the 3rd down a goal and Poni takes 3 ridiculous penalties on the offensive zone. Of course, this would give us 3 PPs, an we can't score on the PP....so yeah, nevermind.

Jets win 6-1.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Random side post... I find it funny with people constantly nagging on Antropov and Byfuglien for not "hitting".

Sure they don't "Scott Steven's" guys (not totally true, Buff has had some HUGE hits) but they do use their body to their advantage and they actually do hit...

Antro 26hits, tied for 5th Jets forward, tied for 42nd in NHL forwards
Buff 19hits, 3rd in Jets' D, tied for 51st in NHL forwards

Yes I know there are some huge problems with the NHL's hitting stats and it's real iffy, but that effects everyone and if they were completely soft they'd be on the bottom.
You want these guys to hit more? Fine want that. You think these guys are inefficient or could be improved upon? I can understand that. But, to think that they don't use their size is a bit stubborn and blind IMO.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
A small part of me hopes we go into the 3rd down a goal and Poni takes 3 ridiculous penalties on the offensive zone. Of course, this would give us 3 PPs, an we can't score on the PP....so yeah, nevermind.

Jets win 6-1.
Poni doesn't generally take a ton of penalties. 3 in a game is very unlikely.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Random side post... I find it funny with people constantly nagging on Antropov and Byfuglien for not "hitting".

Sure they don't "Scott Steven's" guys (not totally true, Buff has had some HUGE hits) but they do use their body to their advantage and they actually do hit...

Yes I know there are some huge problems with the NHL's hitting stats and it's real iffy, but that effects everyone and if they were completely soft they'd be on the bottom.
You want these guys to hit more? Fine want that. You think these guys are inefficient or could be improved upon? I can understand that. But, to think that they don't use their size is a bit stubborn and blind IMO.
Agreed. I will take a glancing (soft) hit followed by puck possession over a solid hit that that doesn't net the Jets the puck every single time.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

I do sometimes have the feeling that EVERY fanbase thinks that their team isn't hitting enough.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I revise my original prediction.

I forgot to include the unknown....the mysterious...ancient and deadly art of...

GOJ-FU WWAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa!

We win by a landslide.

picture.php

Feel free to meme the crap outta that pic...so many options.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

I agree 100%. I think people's frustration with Byfuglien is that he COULD be a frieght train, leaving bodies out there on every shift. But people have to remember that being that physical force would likely hurt his offence significantly, and his ice time.

Personally, I woud love to see Buff play the same game but clear out the crease like Chris Pronger. I think he could improve his game a lot there, but I'm convinced that you really can't teach someone who is naturally a clean player to become a nasty dirty player, willing to two-hand people and crosscheck them in the face simply for being in the crease.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I do sometimes have the feeling that EVERY fanbase thinks that their team isn't hitting enough.

I think was annoys me (and some others) is when we are getting pounded by the Flyers, and Byfuglien has a clear, legal chance to hit Giroux and he passes it up.

I saw Thorburn go after Timonen to check him in the Flyers corner. What does he do? Give one of Philly's most important D men a stiff jolt? Nope... stops 3 feet from him and waves his stick at him.

I know your post wasn't about Thorburn but if he and Tangradi aren't hitting, they should be pressbox fodder. Just tell them "hit or sit"

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think was annoys me (and some others) is when we are getting pounded by the Flyers, and Byfuglien has a clear, legal chance to hit Giroux and he passes it up.

I saw Thorburn go after Timonen to check him in the Flyers corner. What does he do? Give one of Philly's most important D men a stiff jolt? Nope... stops 3 feet from him and waves his stick at him.

I know your post wasn't about Thorburn but if he and Tangradi aren't hitting, they should be pressbox fodder. Just tell them "hit or sit"

I saw your post during the game yesterday and know exactly what scene you're talking about (Thorburn) and you're absolutely right on that one. That was really a weird play by him, maybe he really was a bit scared to take a boarding call, IDK.

However, Thorburns days are counted on our roster in my eyes and he should be in the press box for Miettinen and Peluso n in the next couple of games. If nobody gets hurt and we have too many players, I'd even send him to the Ice Caps (nobody will claim him, no doubt).

I have no bad feelings about him or anything and I'm one of the users on this board that watched him play for 5 years or something now. But he was never that useless before as this year in my eyes. He's what Boulton was at the end of the Atlanta franchise. Useless and time to get rid off.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Ya but not every player on every team is like that. You need for certain guys to have that "role" to be like that:
Example: Thorburn as you pointed out has been lackluster there this season.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I saw your post during the game yesterday and know exactly what scene you're talking about (Thorburn) and you're absolutely right on that one. That was really a weird play by him, maybe he really was a bit scared to take a boarding call, IDK.

However, Thorburns days are counted on our roster in my eyes and he should be in the press box for Miettinen and Peluso n in the next couple of games. If nobody gets hurt and we have too many players, I'd even send him to the Ice Caps (nobody will claim him, no doubt).

I have no bad feelings about him or anything and I'm one of the users on this board that watched him play for 5 years or something now. But he was never that useless before as this year in my eyes. He's what Boulton was at the end of the Atlanta franchise. Useless and time to get rid off.

Ya but not every player on every team is like that. You need for certain guys to have that "role" to be like that:
Example: Thorburn as you pointed out has been lackluster there this season.

I do think our horrible PK has a lot to do with our lack of aggressiveness. Thing is, I'd much rather (and I'm sure our coaches would too) kill off penalties borne of aggressive checking than the ones we have been *not* killing off: stick infractions, gloving the puck, shooting over glass, too many men, tripping, etc. A lot of those penalties are brain fart or lazy penalties and they kill you.

If you take a penalty while being aggressive (not being stupid) it's usually the ref making a bad call and that is out of your control. See the Flyers. They were hitting us hard and often and it payed off for them in the end. We matched them somewhat in Winnipeg but not yesterday.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

I have no bad feelings about him or anything and I'm one of the users on this board that watched him play for 5 years or something know. But he was never that useless before as this year in my eyes. He's what Boulton was at the end of the Atlanta franchise. Useless and time to get rid off.

In fairness to Thorburn, he made a ridiculous backhand saucer flip pass to send Slater on a breakaway against Buffalo the other day. Slater scores there and not many people are asking him to sit. I know these plays are few and far between but he's a 4th line enforcer, what do we expect? Peluso isn't making that play, ever. Mitts - maybe....but replacing thorburn with Mitts leaves a significant physicality deficit. I think Mitts should only be replacing Wellwood and Peluso should only be replacing Thorburn or Tangradi.

Furthermore, aside from a dumb turnover in the FLA game, I don't think Thorburn has hurt us. Not to pick on Garret, but I think he mentioned yesterday that Thorbs fight with Simmonds gave Philly some momentum. Realistically, if you're Thorburn and a Top 6 player from the other team challenges you to fight and take himself off for 5 minutes (or the rest of the game through injury), you take that fight every single time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just to troll ;) haha

2012-13
Name | RelQoC | OZS | RelCorsi | Corsi | SF/60 | P/60
Tangradi | -1.026 | 50.0 | -13.4 | 1.30 | 24.0 | 0.00
Ponikarovsky | 0.792 | 52.3 | -0.3 | 1.54 | 24.3 | 1.23

2011-12
Name | RelQoC | OZS | RelCorsi | Corsi | SF/60 | P/60
Tangradi | -0.740 | 47.2 | -3.4 | 11.03 | 24.2 | 0.61
Ponikarovsky | 0.098 | 48.3 | 11.2 | 7.84 | 26.7 | 1.41

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
In fairness to Thorburn, he made a ridiculous backhand saucer flip pass to send Slater on a breakaway against Buffalo the other day. Slater scores there and not many people are asking him to sit. I know these plays are few and far between but he's a 4th line enforcer, what do we expect? Peluso isn't making that play, ever. Mitts - maybe....but replacing thorburn with Mitts leaves a significant physicality deficit. I think Mitts should only be replacing Wellwood and Peluso should only be replacing Thorburn or Tangradi.

Furthermore, aside from a dumb turnover in the FLA game, I don't think Thorburn has hurt us. Not to pick on Garret, but I think he mentioned yesterday that Thorbs fight with Simmonds gave Philly some momentum. Realistically, if you're Thorburn and a Top 6 player from the other team challenges you to fight and take himself off for 5 minutes (or the rest of the game through injury), you take that fight every single time.

I expect Thorburn to hit and agitate. Every shift. Make someone on the OTHER team regret he's on the ice. That is what he is paid for. Not for saucer passes. Not to score one highlight reel goal. Not to fight by appointment when we are up and give the other team life.

Thorburn has to remember his role and play it. Otherwise he is useless to us.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
I revise my original prediction.

I forgot to include the unknown....the mysterious...ancient and deadly art of...

GOJ-FU WWAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa!

We win by a landslide.

picture.php

Feel free to meme the crap outta that pic...so many options.

user187113_pic11807_1361735178_zpsfc6f1355.jpg

Witchcraft. lol.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

In my drunken haze last night, this is what I was thinking. "Losing Thorburn for 5 minutes to get rid of Simmonds for 5 minutes? Sweet!" Now, hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been so much worse if he had fought some 4th line plug just because.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

For me I just think Buff could hit more because his hits add up over time and can change the game. And in games like our last one in Philly where they had carte blanche to run any Jet all over the ice, I want Buff to start taking guys heads off.

I think it would help Buff's defensive game if he added a few more hits at the blue line when guys are trying to enter the zone.

He's never going to be Scott Stevens, but I wish he tried to be more Scott Stevens and less Paul Coffee. I just think he would be more effective overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce