Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-1 (Hoglander)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Really have to stop the narratives of the Canucks being the better team. They weren’t. They failed to score first. They failed to kill penalties. They failed to execute on their own PPs. They didn’t really start pouring on pressure until the game was essentially out of reach. Posts does not equal bad luck especially when the posts don’t really start happening until the game is done.

What you saw is what happens when the goaltender isn’t completely lights out (or opposition one bad) and a PP can’t rescue the lack of quality across the roster.

Last edited:

likash

Apr 17, 2019
It's hard to disagree with that. Listen, we had Henrik Sedin, we don't need a typical Canadian tough guy to be a physical team. 2011 Canucks was big enough. I'm just worried if Horvat is satisfied being little brother to McDavid/Matthews/Scheifiele, because Canuck fans are not.

Even if those players are Hart candidates and have much more skill than Horvat, that was never an excuse to lose for any great hockey player like Getzlaf/Iginla/C. Lemieux/Pronger.

As a hockey fan, Virtanen laid out at least 2 big hits this game. MacEwen fought. That's the biggest positives in a 5-0 game. The 2 best players in this game after Demko, just for proving they aren't intimidated because they played like a scared team.
What has Getzlaf won without Pronger and Niedermayer? That cup was a layup. This bullshit with tough canadian captain needs to stop. Iginla had to go to the Bruins to make it past the first round after the 2004 miracle run. The 2011 Canucks were done by injuries, refs and Colin Campbell. Some fans are still stuck in the past. The game has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Tampa won the cup quite easy with the "tough canadian captain" Steven Stamkos who played one shift.

Horvat did more than he was projected to do because of his character. He exceeded expectations. You think him screaming at his teammates will make them better? How about blame the guy who built the team. How do you know he is content with being the "little brother" to McDavid? Every player in this league is, and it does no matter how hard they try, they still can't touch him. Maybe we should have tanked for a generational talents like Pittsburg and the Oilers . :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Another serious beating. Hard to watch. Going to be lots of empty seats next year if this type of play continues.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
-Said it during the game, but I thought Hellebuyck was great tonight. Really tracked the puck well and was always in position to make the save. Got a bit lucky with posts/crossbars but when your positioning is that good you force guys to pick spots and stuff like that happens.

-Seeing the Jets top 6 work the puck around in the offensive zone is pretty fun to watch at times. It's not "Sedin" like, but they do their thing and it looks good. Compare that to what the Canucks are doing right now and it's a pretty vast difference.

-Not really any takeaways from Demko's performance, but man did he look dejected in the post-game interviews. I think these guys knew it was a big game and they didn't come through.

-Pretty much everything has been said about Myers, but a couple things on his line changes. On the first one, you have to assume they put Hamonic on the ice ahead of Hughes so that Myers could switch sides to make the change easier for him as they had the long change that period. So my main issue is I'm not sure why Myers put himself in position to take the pass from Hamonic along the right boards. As soon as Hamonic got the puck, he could at least switch sides so he's closer to the bench for a change. Obviously you hope you get some help from your forwards here too, but whatever. On the second one, I'm not sure how a player gets stuck for 3 minutes+ when he's on the side closest to the bench. I don't know if it's selfish, lazy, or lack of awareness but that can't happen. The last player I've seen get caught out for these long shifts was Tryamkin a few times, but at least he was a rookie with limited communication skills so he had an excuse.

-On that note, what is going on with line changes where guys have that long of shifts multiple times, but other guys are jumping on early multiple times and taking penalties? It's late enough into the season where this stuff needs to get figured out.

-Pretty nothing performance from the forwards. Vesey showed a bit of jump. Barely even noticed Roussel was playing. Miller with the long, selfish shift that led to the EN goal.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Really have to stop the narratives of the Canucks being the better team. They weren’t. They failed to score first. They failed to kill penalties. They failed to execute on their own PPs. They didn’t really start pouring on pressure until the game was essentially out of reach. Posts does not equal bad luck especially when the posts don’t really start happening until the game is done.

What you saw is what happens when the goaltender isn’t completely lights out (or opposition one bad) and a PP can’t rescue the lack of quality across the roster.
Such a laughable narrative. “Their effort was great”... “they were the better team”

It’s all gaslighting bullshit from the propaganda ministry at sportsnet 650

GritGrinder

Mar 24, 2021
The playoff "race" in the North could be practically over in just a couple of weeks. The top 4 teams are all on pace for 65pts or higher (which is exactly what most pre-season predictions had as the minimum for playoffs in the North).

In order to get to 65pts the minimum record needed would be 30-21-5 or thereabouts, but once a team gets to 21 regulation losses it essentially means they have to get points in all the rest of their games to get 65pts or more.

Ottawa is at 20 reg. losses and will likely get their 21st tonight. The Canucks are at 18 and play @EDM and @WPG 3 of the 4 games back after the break. Calgary entered the discussion with 2 straight reg losses in Ottawa and are at 16 with 6 of their next 7 against Wpg, Edm, and Tor.

Montreal's 9 OT losses and Edmonton's zero could skew things if one of those 2 teams goes on an extended losing streak but count the reg losses of the bottom 3 teams, as soon as they are at 21 the "race" is all but over.

Reactions: I am toxic

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What has Getzlaf won without Pronger and Niedermayer? That cup was a layup. This bullshit with tough canadian captain needs to stop. Iginla had to go to the Bruins to make it past the first round after the 2004 miracle run. The 2011 Canucks were done by injuries, refs and Colin Campbell. Some fans are still stuck in the past. The game has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Tampa won the cup quite easy with the "tough canadian captain" Steven Stamkos who played one shift.

Horvat did more than he was projected to do because of his character. He exceeded expectations. You think him screaming at his teammates will make them better? How about blame the guy who built the team. How do you know he is content with being the "little brother" to McDavid? Every player in this league is, and it does no matter how hard they try, they still can't touch him. Maybe we should have tanked for a generational talents like Pittsburg and the Oilers . :sarcasm:
Unrealistic expectations are unfortunate as it takes away from the perfectly reasonable player that someone has developed into.

Like I’m happy Boeser stopped being a total pylon on defense. I don’t expect him to now be a selke level winger. I don’t like Hughes current defensive abilities. I don’t expect him to handle top matchups but I think a reasonable expectation is he improves to be able to handle a team’s second line like Krug did for many years.

Reasonable expectations...

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

That cup was a layup? What?

likash

Apr 17, 2019
They would have swept the Canucks if not for Luongo.

Luongo's numbers were: GAA: 1,77 and SV% .941 in 12 games. That core could barely score. The fact that Lungo did not win Vezina and Hart in 2007 , was "criminal".

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck and PRNuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks were 8-2-1 in February, despite being outshot and out-chanced night after night. Eventually the hockey gods will re-align, and Demko would come back down to earth.

Canucks are staggering through to the finish line with the help of waiver wire pickups like Vesey, Hawryluk and Boyd. Meantime between Eriksson, Baertschi, Beagle, Roussel and the 'LTIR man' Ferland, the Canucks have more than $18m in completely dead salaries.

It would be comical, if it didn't say a lot about this team's ridiculous contract decisions in the Benning era.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Right now the Canucks are way too slow. They consistently are beaten to the pucks I would say 70% of thew games they play. Whether that is coaching, or that is systems, or deficiency in talent, I don't know.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The universe is unfolding the way it always does for the Canucks most recent big-ticket UFA signings.

Myers and Holtby have morphed from being 'key off-seasons acquisitions' to guys who Canuck fans are praying get 'plucked in the expansion draft by Seattle'.

Fat chance for that. Nobody is going to bail the Canucks out of these two contracts. It's just the natural evolution of Jimbo's UFA signings. The only difference is that with these two guys, it happened faster than it did with some guys in the past.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Right now the Canucks are way too slow. They consistently are beaten to the pucks I would say 70% of thew games they play. Whether that is coaching, or that is systems, or deficiency in talent, I don't know.
When people say things like "They just aren't getting to loose pucks and winning those battles, they can't seem to find any open ice," they're usually talking about a hockey team that just isn't very good. That's 75 percent of the problem here, but something else feels off too, like they aren't totally engaged.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The universe is unfolding the way it always does for the Canucks most recent big-ticket UFA signings.

Myers and Holtby have morphed from being 'key off-seasons acquisitions' to guys who Canuck fans are praying get 'plucked in the expansion draft by Seattle'.

Fat chance for that. Nobody is going to bail the Canucks out of these two contracts. It's just the natural evolution of Jimbo's UFA signings. The only difference is that with these two guys, it happened faster than it did with some guys in the past.

loui-meme.png

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

It's why the "All the bad contracts will be bad after 2021-22!" is such a farce because we know that other current contracts will be bad by then and/or other bad contracts will be acquired. Myers has actually been decent at times this year but this contract is going to be awful near the end of the deal.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Score not totally indicative of the play but Canucks still second best. Really if you can't score, you can't win and lot chances got badly botched. Typical was Virtanen's chance were he he plenty of net but lacked the finish to put it away.

Good

well...let's see .... actually no one. Lots of effort out of some but most of that lead to nothing. Horvat and Miller tried and sustained some offensive time but both had problems in their end.

Bad

Myers -looked totally gassed all game. At times, couldn't even stagger over to the bench to get a shift change.

Hawryluk - takes awhile to assess someone but we've seen enough of this player. He's useless. Another Benning special - Benning talked about how he been tracking this player and was eager to get him. All you have to know about JIM BENNING: THE SCOUT!

Hamonic - races out of position too much. Gets random in his play and the team structure begins to fall apart. Look at Jets and their defense plays with same structure throughout. Somewhat a result of playing with Hughes whose way too much all over the ice.

Gaudette - useless. Can't play at this level.

MacEwen - did well in the fight but effort can't hide his lack of stick skill.

Others

Vesey shows some stuff but you're left s wondering if he will ultimately accomplish anything. Not a high end player

Well Benning has the week off. Doubt he does anything else than duck the press, insipid as it is, maybe visit his family (as he did a couple of years ago approaching the deadline) and think how he can fire any one that might suggest he isn't doing a good job. Either that or sees if he can trade off some more draft choices so the team can finish strong, while still being out of the playoffs, and he can call the season a success.

"MacEwen -........................effort can't hide his lack of stick skill."

I said this kind of stuff from the moment I started to critique him. I always give the rookies a couple months before seriously pointing out flaws. His stick skills were never good.

"Gaudette - useless. Can't play at this level."
I described him a s a one trick pony. Lots of hustle. Tried to go it alone all the time to prove he was better than the players trying to defend against him and therefore belonged in the NHL. He was always shoot first and answer questions later. Only played 12 games here in his first 2 seasons so it worked. I didn't think his work here looked like NHL center caliber.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad