Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-1 (Hoglander)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Score not totally indicative of the play but Canucks still second best. Really if you can't score, you can't win and lot chances got badly botched. Typical was Virtanen's chance were he he plenty of net but lacked the finish to put it away.

Good

well...let's see .... actually no one. Lots of effort out of some but most of that lead to nothing. Horvat and Miller tried and sustained some offensive time but both had problems in their end.

Bad

Myers -looked totally gassed all game. At times, couldn't even stagger over to the bench to get a shift change.

Hawryluk - takes awhile to assess someone but we've seen enough of this player. He's useless. Another Benning special - Benning talked about how he been tracking this player and was eager to get him. All you have to know about JIM BENNING: THE SCOUT!

Hamonic - races out of position too much. Gets random in his play and the team structure begins to fall apart. Look at Jets and their defense plays with same structure throughout. Somewhat a result of playing with Hughes whose way too much all over the ice.

Gaudette - useless. Can't play at this level.

MacEwen - did well in the fight but effort can't hide his lack of stick skill.

Others

Vesey shows some stuff but you're left s wondering if he will ultimately accomplish anything. Not a high end player

Well Benning has the week off. Doubt he does anything else than duck the press, insipid as it is, maybe visit his family (as he did a couple of years ago approaching the deadline) and think how he can fire any one that might suggest he isn't doing a good job. Either that or sees if he can trade off some more draft choices so the team can finish strong, while still being out of the playoffs, and he can call the season a success.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think y'all have that chance for the playoffs spot if can and will win this mui importantte game sire. If Horvat plays sire, I will put some money on this team also. Investing hard I mean.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Adam Gaudette is one of those players that would be a great career minor leaguer and absolute ass in the nhl. Brandon Reid without the wheels.

seriously hope in 2 years we bring in some mean players. Players with an edge. Tired of this pillowy soft team. Horvat as a captain doesn’t help. Need a getzlaf / iginla type guy not MR nice guy. Tired of it.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Adam Gaudette is one of those players that would be a great career minor leaguer and absolute ass in the nhl. Brandon Reid without the wheels.

seriously hope in 2 years we bring in some mean players. Players with an edge. Tired of this pillowy soft team. Horvat as a captain doesn’t help. Need a getzlaf / iginla type guy not MR nice guy. Tired of it.
It's hard to disagree with that. Listen, we had Henrik Sedin, we don't need a typical Canadian tough guy to be a physical team. 2011 Canucks was big enough. I'm just worried if Horvat is satisfied being little brother to McDavid/Matthews/Scheifiele, because Canuck fans are not.

Even if those players are Hart candidates and have much more skill than Horvat, that was never an excuse to lose for any great hockey player like Getzlaf/Iginla/C. Lemieux/Pronger.

As a hockey fan, Virtanen laid out at least 2 big hits this game. MacEwen fought. That's the biggest positives in a 5-0 game. The 2 best players in this game after Demko, just for proving they aren't intimidated because they played like a scared team.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Myers-Benn were Gudbranson/Sbieksa 2015 level bad tonight. Couldn't handle the forecheck and gave up the puck like crazy. Game is probably a one goal loss if they played average. If Benn wasn't being shopped he would have been scratched a couple games ago.

Horvat and Miller were clearly gassed and practically gave up the neutral zone to the jets. Pretty much spent all their effort to score.

Petterson is way more suited to center then Miller at least defensively

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Score not totally indicative of the play but Canucks still second best. Really if you can't score, you can't win and lot chances got badly botched. Typical was Virtanen's chance were he he plenty of net but lacked the finish to put it away.

Good

well...let's see .... actually no one. Lots of effort out of some but most of that lead to nothing. Horvat and Miller tried and sustained some offensive time but both had problems in their end.

I think that's a tiny bit unfair, the Canucks were the better team but just got stopped by a hot goalie, some poor finishing and some bad puck luck. An extremely frustrating loss. The Jets are just like the Canucks except with a much better third line.

I thought the Virtanen, Miller, Vesey line were really good, and have been since they were put together 4 games ago. At 5v5 Virtanen has an expected GF% of 64.8%, while Vesey is at 57.8% and Miller is at 56.6%. Virtanen has been much more consistent in the details of his game; getting pucks out of the defensive zone, forechecking effectively, and going to the net. He has still been making the occasional mistake but the good has been outweighing the bad. If he keeps this up the scoring will come, but who knows if he can?

Boeser, Horvat, and Hoglander were pretty decent too. Just wish Bo would be better at passing the puck back to kill time on the PK!

Edler is looking tired and hasn't been playing well, while Myers has to stop taking those monster shifts. He had opportunities to get to the bench but he doesn't take them. Also, WTF was that pass by Hamonic to Myers that led to the third goal. It's the type of play that makes makes you put your head in your hands. He was pretty decent otherwise tho.

Also, our PK has been awful recently.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Still don’t understand the PLD - Laine trade.
PLD is a good player in his own right but Laine is a game changer

If you had seen Laine play every game he ever played for the Jets you would know that PLD is a much better all around player. The Jets lost a elite scorer but became a much better team with PLD. As a Jet fan that only want to see my team win I'll take PLD everyday of the week and twice on Sundays over Laine.

That said I will not be surprised if Laine becomes a 60 goal scorer in the NHL someday in the future but this trade made the Jets a much better team then they were with Laine so no regrets.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Myers is pooched. You would hope he would find an extra gear for 6 million f***in dollars but thats not really his fault

Jet fan here and big Myers fan. I wanted the Jets to re-sign Myers but when I saw him get 6 million for 5 years with the Canucks my first thought was thank god the Jet did not offer him that contract.

Before Myers left he was a 5/6 D for the Jets, today with the Jets depleted D core he be a 3/4 D for the Jets but at 6 million a year I rather he does not play for my team. As you said his over payment is not his fault but on the Canucks management. Myers at his best is a 4 million dollar player playing in the 3/4 spot. At 6 million a year he is a drain on the Canucks cap resources to make sure they can resign long term all of their great young stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad