Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Byfuglien
Antropov - Burmistrov - O'Dell
Wright - Slater - Peluso

There how's that look. :sarcasm:

I like this lineup. Buff would solve our second line RW problem immediately. Not sure how the team would look with him at forward over a full year but man it is hard not to like the forward lineup twice as much with him in it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Rubbish? Look at each of those trades and try to make a comparable trade with the Jets pieces.

Who's the Jets Brassard, Moore, Dorsett, Hackett, Larssen, Connauton, and Joe Morrow?

Those are not "rubbish". And the majority of those guys are rentals. Chevy has said numerous times that he was looking to add some scoring but didn't want a rental. (at a high cost, not a free rental like Santorelli)

I believed him when he said that. Guess you didn't.

Jets Brassard: Not sure we have a guy who could rack up 40+ point seasons playing as Rick Nash's center. Jokinen maybe?
Jets Moore: How much more valuable is Moore than Postma?
Jets Dorsett: Don't we have a bunch of low scoring marginal forwards?
Jets Hackett: I'll give you this one.
Jets Larssen: Klingberg (let's keep it Swedish)
Jets Connauton: Postma again?
Jets Morrow: Who?

I'd say they're rubish-ish... :)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets Brassard: Not sure we have a guy who could rack up 40+ point seasons playing as Rick Nash's center. Jokinen maybe?

I WISH the Jets prospects were as similar to those players as you stated.

Larsssen=klingberg :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'd also love a Joe Morrow in our system.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I like this lineup. Buff would solve our second line RW problem immediately. Not sure how the team would look with him at forward over a full year but man it is hard not to like the forward lineup twice as much with him in it.

I have no idea about O'Dell though really or whether he would be good at RW. Have never seen him play and the only thing I know is that he's doing really well for the Caps.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I think you're under valuating Brassard, Moore, Larssen, and Joe Morrow (he was a 1st round pick of the Pens).

Dorsett we probably have some of, and Connauton might be equivalent to Postma I guess.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

ya no lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you're under valuating Brassard, Moore, Larssen, and Joe Morrow (he was a 1st round pick of the Pens).

Dorsett we probably have some of, and Connauton might be equivalent to Postma I guess.

Well I was kidding about Jokinen = Brassard.

This isn't some list of superstars for which the Jets have no equivalents though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Well I was kidding about Jokinen = Brassard.

This isn't some list of superstars for which the Jets have no equivalents though.

No one said they were superstars, but I also don't think they are rubbish.

And besides Dorsett and Connauton, I don't know that we do have guys that match up to these players.

We either have guys that are too valuable (Trouba, Scheifele), or prospects that are much less valuable (Sutter, Telegin, Klingberg, Kosmachuck, Cormier, etc).

Brassard, Moore, and Joe Morrow were all 1st round picks.

Plus, in some of those deals 1st and 2nd round picks were also sent out. Chevy clearly said he wasn't interested in paying a high price for a rental.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
At the end of the day, I think this is a budget move. Clearly, the team is not allowed to spend this year. Drag out the honeymoon. Take a chance on another grinder and see if he can play "a north-south game". Dump, chase, dump, chase. Win some, lose some. Perpetual mediocrity.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
At the end of the day, I think this is a budget move. Clearly, the team is not allowed to spend this year. Drag out the honeymoon. Take a chance on another grinder and see if he can play "a north-south game". Dump, chase, dump, chase. Win some, lose some. Perpetual mediocrity.

ummkay.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
he definitely fits chevy's M.O.....pick up a reject who showed promise years ago and hope he pays off.....another in a long list.

noticed the TSN panel unanimously voted the jets as the biggest canadian disappointment at the deadline.

pretty inspiring stuff....sold of course to us as 'not mortgaging the future'....like improving your hockey team in the present is mutually exclusive of long term gain....seems like most fans and even the media have drunk that kool-aid, so why not?

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
kool-aid? whatever. you're smart, everyone else is dumb.:shakehead

not everyone else.....ha ha.

yeah, didnt mean that as it sounded....i just meant there doesnt seem to be much pressure on chevy to do things for the present.....everyone just says, ah, its ok, we will be good 5 years from now.....we have an incredible opportunity to go into the playoffs as the third seed.....its a total fluke of circumstance that likely will not return......chevy showed the same urgency that our players have in the face of that opportunity....fans in other cities would be livid that he did nothing to push us to the playoff goal...we are all just content for 5 years from now.

teams below us looked to get better, but we didnt....and few seem to really care....chevy is just excused because we all think he has a long term strategy that is better than everyone else's for some reason.

i think if we squander this chance to make the playoffs, we will regret it down the road....you never know what the future holds...this could be our best chance to instil a playoff culture.

Gaald

Mar 17, 2012
I am all for Chevy not destroying whatever possible plans he has for the future just so we can try to squeak into a playoff. Yeah you heard me right SQUEAK into a playoff spot.

The Jets may be in 3rd place but that's only because the South East division is garbage! I don't want Chevy selling the farm (which is laughable as it is) and half the team just so we can get a bunch of guys who might help us make the playoffs, and then leave next year. How in the hell does that help "build a playoff culture". And even if we get into the playoffs the chances of getting eliminated in the first round is just as likely as us getting past it.

Some people on these boards are so deluded (for lack of a less derogatory term) they think that the Jets can be both sellers and buyers all at once! We have a bunch of guys that aren't good enough to stay, but they are apparently what every other team would love to have in return for a top 6 forward who can score 40 goals a year! BRILLIANT!

I would rather not make the playoffs with the guys we have now, then try and make the playoffs having lost even just a 1/3 of our 2nd and 3rd round picks for this years draft, and any of the few guys the other teams would have actually been interested in getting.

Don't get me wrong. I really want the Jets to make the playoffs, and I believe we still have a chance. But I am not delusional. My only hope is we make the playoffs, anything after that is gravy, and I fully expect the team to not get past the first round. We just aren't there yet.

Anyone who thinks different needs to wake up.

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011
not everyone else.....ha ha.

yeah, didnt mean that as it sounded....i just meant there doesnt seem to be much pressure on chevy to do things for the present.....everyone just says, ah, its ok, we will be good 5 years from now.....we have an incredible opportunity to go into the playoffs as the third seed.....its a total fluke of circumstance that likely will not return......chevy showed the same urgency that our players have in the face of that opportunity....fans in other cities would be livid that he did nothing to push us to the playoff goal...we are all just content for 5 years from now.

teams below us looked to get better, but we didnt....and few seem to really care....chevy is just excused because we all think he has a long term strategy that is better than everyone else's for some reason.

i think if we squander this chance to make the playoffs, we will regret it down the road....you never know what the future holds...this could be our best chance to instil a playoff culture.

You want us to do what Washington did to improve?

We would be absolutely livid if they gave up Trouba for anything less than a king's ransom (Forsberg was 2 picks after him).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't think I drink the Kool-aid...
I've been well known here to freak out when something I believe to be dumb or a bad move...
This honestly isn't a game changer but it isn't bad...?
He's not being placed on our to fix our top 6. He was placed on our team because we lack organizational depth.

What do we have on the farm that could pull up if needed?
Two young guys with promise that aren't there yet: Melchiori and O`Dell
A ****-tonne of AHL roster holders who once had promise but that time has passed until we have reconstructed a farm system: Jaffray, Gagnon, Maxwell, Maceneaur, etc,etc.
Plus Wright, Antro, Peluso, and Slater are all injured.

I'm actually quite fine with staying pat, for now.
If the situation was different (ie: price and items that were being moved or Jets' placement) I'd be feeling and judging differently... but not this time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There seems to be 2 contradictory thoughts going on. Here is how I see it. Chevy keeps picking guys off the waiver wire because a farm team is ****. We can't even replace 4th line grinders from within....how bad is that? The only way to start strengthening the organization is developing more depth. Picks eventually = Depth. Teams that were able to make big moves did so because they had prospects other teams wanted that they felt they could part with. The prospects Chevy has that others want (Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry) he can't part with. It seems obvious to me that Chevy is trying to end the cycle of mediocrity rather than perpetuate it. If that is drinking the kool-aid give me another cup because after even 2 years of being an also ran I want more, but I'm willing to wait a little while.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I have no issues with Chevy having a long term strategy. However, in order to build through the draft like the Predators, you actually need draft picks and prospects.

Antropov, Wellwood, Miettinen, Hainsey, Clitsome, Meech and Montoya will all walk away UFAs this summer. You can't tell me that 1) all of them are absolutely integral to the team moving forward and 2) none of them could garner even a 7th round pick.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
There seems to be 2 contradictory thoughts going on. Here is how I see it. Chevy keeps picking guys off the waiver wire because a farm team is ****. We can't even replace 4th line grinders from within....how bad is that? The only way to start strengthening the organization is developing more depth. Picks eventually = Depth. Teams that were able to make big moves did so because they had prospects other teams wanted that they felt they could part with. The prospects Chevy has that others want (Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry) he can't part with. It seems obvious to me that Chevy is trying to end the cycle of mediocrity rather than perpetuate it. If that is drinking the kool-aid give me another cup because after even 2 years of being an also ran I want more, but I'm willing to wait a little while.

To me the attitude should be we rebuild for the future cause our cupboards are empty. And i agree with this. and if we make it into the playoff we do. If we don't we don't. But that being said, moving our ufas for more picks so we can rebuild faster (hopefully with luck) should have been done. And it wasn't. Whats the worst that happened if we traded 2-3 ufas for whatever you can get. You sink to the bottom 5 in the league and get a dynamic player that can possibly play with Kane? Something you desperately want and have been looking for, for 2 years now. And no guarantee your gonna find it in the offseason.

To me, we are in this mediocrity. Being in the 9-12 spot is not good. Never bad enough to get that impact player and not good enough to make it in and be competitive. Just get it over with and sink to the bottom so we can get some dynamic players that will help us for 10+ years.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I am disappointed that we didn't pick up any one significant. While we still have decent shot for the SE, the team is on a tough downward spiral and needs some fresh blood. Could we have not picked up decent scoring rental for a third? Is Burmi (I like Burmi, but if he is going to sit, might as well trade him - does us no good on bench)so bad he can't be played (at times) but so good no trade is worthwhile?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have no issues with Chevy having a long term strategy. However, in order to build through the draft like the Predators, you actually need draft picks and prospects.

Antropov, Wellwood, Miettinen, Hainsey, Clitsome, Meech and Montoya will all walk away UFAs this summer. You can't tell me that 1) all of them are absolutely integral to the team moving forward and 2) none of them could garner even a 7th round pick.

Sorry, but of that list, ONLY Hainsey will have the opportunity to "walk away" as an UFA and end up somewhere else. The others are going to quickly realize that there isn't another team in the NHL that is going to touch them with a 10ft hockey stick, and if they actually want to stay employed at the NHL level, they will have no choice but to resign with the Jets... if we even want them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad