Confirmed with Link: Jets claim Santorelli from waivers

jetkarma*

There seems to be 2 contradictory thoughts going on. Here is how I see it. Chevy keeps picking guys off the waiver wire because a farm team is ****. We can't even replace 4th line grinders from within....how bad is that? The only way to start strengthening the organization is developing more depth. Picks eventually = Depth. Teams that were able to make big moves did so because they had prospects other teams wanted that they felt they could part with. The prospects Chevy has that others want (Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry) he can't part with. It seems obvious to me that Chevy is trying to end the cycle of mediocrity rather than perpetuate it. If that is drinking the kool-aid give me another cup because after even 2 years of being an also ran I want more, but I'm willing to wait a little while.

:handclap:

jetkarma*

I have no issues with Chevy having a long term strategy. However, in order to build through the draft like the Predators, you actually need draft picks and prospects.

Antropov, Wellwood, Miettinen, Hainsey, Clitsome, Meech and Montoya will all walk away UFAs this summer. You can't tell me that 1) all of them are absolutely integral to the team moving forward and 2) none of them could garner even a 7th round pick.

3 or 4 of those players could be resigned as bridge players or organizational depth.

Antropov , Clitsome and Montoya may be bridge players , Hainsey would be a solid regular and we may resign him at a fair contract , that would be beneficil for us imo.

Meech has shown he is willing to be an 8th/9th Dman , which is fine , no one was going to pay much for him , let's be realistic.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
not everyone else.....ha ha.

yeah, didnt mean that as it sounded....i just meant there doesnt seem to be much pressure on chevy to do things for the present.....everyone just says, ah, its ok, we will be good 5 years from now.....we have an incredible opportunity to go into the playoffs as the third seed.....its a total fluke of circumstance that likely will not return......chevy showed the same urgency that our players have in the face of that opportunity....fans in other cities would be livid that he did nothing to push us to the playoff goal...we are all just content for 5 years from now.

teams below us looked to get better, but we didnt....and few seem to really care....chevy is just excused because we all think he has a long term strategy that is better than everyone else's for some reason.

i think if we squander this chance to make the playoffs, we will regret it down the road....you never know what the future holds...this could be our best chance to instil a playoff culture.

The part that I bolded just shows to me that we need a major shift in culture with this group, and I always thought it would take some time. I think you will see significant (30%-40%?) turnover in our NHL roster next year - and it may even include looking at the coaching. If not, I will be be bringing the pressure...for now, Chevy gets a pass from me.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
3 or 4 of those players could be resigned as bridge players or organizational depth.

Antropov , Clitsome and Montoya may be bridge players , Hainsey would be a solid regular and we may resign him at a fair contract , that would be beneficil for us imo.

Meech has shown he is willing to be an 8th/9th Dman , which is fine , no one was going to pay much for him , let's be realistic.

Agreed. If we could get Antro and Hainsey back on good deals I think we are still going to need them (Antro on the 3rd, and Hainsey on the 2nd pair for a year or two while Trouba grows).

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Sorry, but of that list, ONLY Hainsey will have the opportunity to "walk away" as an UFA and end up somewhere else. The others are going to quickly realize that there isn't another team in the NHL that is going to touch them with a 10ft hockey stick, and if they actually want to stay employed at the NHL level, they will have no choice but to resign with the Jets... if we even want them.

clitsome, antropov and hainsey will find teams without a doubt. montoya probably. i could see wellwood and meech struggling.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
To me the attitude should be we rebuild for the future cause our cupboards are empty. And i agree with this. and if we make it into the playoff we do. If we don't we don't. But that being said, moving our ufas for more picks so we can rebuild faster (hopefully with luck) should have been done. And it wasn't. Whats the worst that happened if we traded 2-3 ufas for whatever you can get. You sink to the bottom 5 in the league and get a dynamic player that can possibly play with Kane? Something you desperately want and have been looking for, for 2 years now. And no guarantee your gonna find it in the offseason.

To me, we are in this mediocrity. Being in the 9-12 spot is not good. Never bad enough to get that impact player and not good enough to make it in and be competitive. Just get it over with and sink to the bottom so we can get some dynamic players that will help us for 10+ years.

This was my feeling as well. Getting another impact player with the 1st rounder would be HUGE. Missing the playoffs and missing out on one of the elite forwards in this draft would hurt.:(

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There seems to be 2 contradictory thoughts going on. Here is how I see it. Chevy keeps picking guys off the waiver wire because a farm team is ****. We can't even replace 4th line grinders from within....how bad is that? The only way to start strengthening the organization is developing more depth. Picks eventually = Depth. Teams that were able to make big moves did so because they had prospects other teams wanted that they felt they could part with. The prospects Chevy has that others want (Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry) he can't part with. It seems obvious to me that Chevy is trying to end the cycle of mediocrity rather than perpetuate it. If that is drinking the kool-aid give me another cup because after even 2 years of being an also ran I want more, but I'm willing to wait a little while.

I'm not opposed to standing pat at the trade deadline - things are a bit out of whack (see: Pominville to MN), so in terms of acquiring players it's arguably the right decision. I'm fine with not shipping Hainsey off for a 2nd rounder or whatever he would've commanded.

But Chevy has had nearly 2 years now and his biggest trade deal is Oduya to Chicago for a 2nd + a 3rd round pick. His second biggest is bringing in Fehr for a 4th and a prospect (Paquette?). After that it's all AHL moves (Aliu for Negrin, Esposito for McCardle, etc.).

You can give him credit for trying to address the #1C problem by signing Jokinen. Sure, there were some warning signs that he maybe wasn't the answer: Calgary fans' opinions, and maybe the idea that a slow, 34-year-old who played 82 games with Iginla on Calgary's 1st line and coming off his best season since 08-09 might be due for some regression...but you can argue that even taking all those red flags into account, you couldn't predict how terrible his season has been.

Chevy's been saying for a while that RW is a problem. Was Jussi Jokinen not an upgrade on Mittens? Are you telling me that there were no deals?

I know the rule for Chevy critics around here is to provide concrete solutions, so how does this sound: We trade Byfuglien to Philly for...well, you could probably get just about anything out of them - the Flyer's are always down for a big trade. Voracek or Simmonds ++ (prospect and 2nd round pick). The point is we have assets coveted by other teams - and the core isn't working here, but Chevy's too cautious to make a move (or at least he hasn't made a deal yet). Maybe it's all part of this omniscient plan to only draft talent? That's going to take a lot of luck and time...

Of course moving Buff to RW (which I heard was a crazy idea that would never happen) might fill that hole too.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I know the rule for Chevy critics around here is to provide concrete solutions, so how does this sound: We trade Byfuglien to Philly for...well, you could probably get just about anything out of them - the Flyer's are always down for a big trade. Voracek or Simmonds ++ (prospect and 2nd round pick). The point is we have assets coveted by other teams - and the core isn't working here, but Chevy's too cautious to make a move (or at least he hasn't made a deal yet). Maybe it's all part of this omniscient plan to only draft talent? That's going to take a lot of luck and time...

Of course moving Buff to RW (which I heard was a crazy idea that would never happen) might fill that hole too.

I would move Buff for Simmonds + Laughton + 2nd. Heck, I'd probably do it without the 2nd. ;)

But that's because I think that:
A) Simmonds has an amazing contract for what he brings.
B) Laughton looks like a Jets type player and a good bet to be at least a 3rd line C (maybe more).
C) As much as I love Buff, I'm a little worried that he'll hit the wall physically much earlier than most, and that his drop-off will be quick and severe. Kind of like a NFL running back hitting 30 and falling off the face of the earth. :)

Don't know if anyone else here would, or if the Jets or Flyers would. Which is the rub. Even if Chevy offered it, we would need Holmgren to accept it.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Are you guys STILL *****ing about this pickup? Santorelli is a filler for Antropov who is injured. Would you rather have Cormier & Wellwood on the second line???

Here's tonight's lineup. I am actually quite excited to see what these lines can do!!!

Ladd-Little-BUFF
Kane-Santorelli-Wheeler
Tangradi-Jokinen-Miettinen
Thorburn-Gagnon-Burmistrov
Not in lineup-Wellwood (Healthy Scratch), James Wright took full practice this morning.

Keep in mind we are still missing Wright, once he is back Mittens goes to the 4th line and Gagnon is scratched. The team looks better once again.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Kane - Santorelli - Wheeler. That would be one FAST line.

That's what I am hoping for too. Hey, you never know, maybe Santorelli gets off on the right foot here and discovers what brought him some success in Florida a couple years back.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, we all know how many chances Kane creates alone. Having another guy with good footspeed on the ice with him should create him a tad more space, regardless of who it is, and it means there will be someone up there with Kane who can, with any luck, pick up some of Kane's scraps.

Worth a shot.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
That's what I am hoping for too. Hey, you never know, maybe Santorelli gets off on the right foot here and discovers what brought him some success in Florida a couple years back.

If he can actually dish the puck to Kane half-decently he should fit in just fine. :)

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet

Well, we all know how many chances Kane creates alone. Having another guy with good footspeed on the ice with him should create him a tad more space, regardless of who it is, and it means there will be someone up there with Kane who can, with any luck, pick up some of Kane's scraps.

Worth a shot.

If he can actually dish the puck to Kane half-decently he should fit in just fine. :)
That's what I like to see gents! Positive thinking!

Sure he isn't Pomminville or Cammalleri, but he is MUCH faster than Antropov. Maybe he breaks Kane out of the slump? This should be interesting to say the least.

images

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Kane is in a slump because he's getting double teamed every time he has the puck in the offensive zone.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Kane is in a slump because he's getting double teamed every time he has the puck in the offensive zone.

Wheels is playing RW so that should pull pressure off of Kane...cause they can double team Kane all they want then, Wheels will enjoy the extra space to move.

All providing that Joker can get into the zone sometime before the play is coming back the other way.
Perhaps this is the Drano that gets them unclogged.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
To me the attitude should be we rebuild for the future cause our cupboards are empty. And i agree with this. and if we make it into the playoff we do. If we don't we don't. But that being said, moving our ufas for more picks so we can rebuild faster (hopefully with luck) should have been done. And it wasn't. Whats the worst that happened if we traded 2-3 ufas for whatever you can get. You sink to the bottom 5 in the league and get a dynamic player that can possibly play with Kane? Something you desperately want and have been looking for, for 2 years now. And no guarantee your gonna find it in the offseason.

To me, we are in this mediocrity. Being in the 9-12 spot is not good. Never bad enough to get that impact player and not good enough to make it in and be competitive. Just get it over with and sink to the bottom so we can get some dynamic players that will help us for 10+ years.

This was my feeling as well. Getting another impact player with the 1st rounder would be HUGE. Missing the playoffs and missing out on one of the elite forwards in this draft would hurt.:(

We picked 9th last year and got Trouba after finishing 11th in the conference only 8 points out of a playoff spot... and yet Trouba looks like a great pick...

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Looked up the old prospectus on Santorelli.

7.0 D

Talent Analysis

Santorelli has great hands and scoring ability. He has outstanding speed and acceleration, and coupled with his quickness makes him a very difficult player to contain. Santorelli has the ability to make things happen every time he’s on the ice. He has developed a knack for scoring timely goals as well. Santorelli has great on-ice vision and awareness and knows where the play is going. One area where his game has really matured has been in his ability to stay with the play regardless of which zone it is in. Santorelli has little trouble getting pucks to the net and shoots with great frequency. While he isn’t an overly physical player, Santorelli won’t shy away from playing the body when necessary.

Future

He has the skill to be considered as a potential second or third line winger in the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think I drink the Kool-aid...
I've been well known here to freak out when something I believe to be dumb or a bad move...
This honestly isn't a game changer but it isn't bad...?
He's not being placed on our to fix our top 6. He was placed on our team because we lack organizational depth.

What do we have on the farm that could pull up if needed?
Two young guys with promise that aren't there yet: Melchiori and O`Dell
A ****-tonne of AHL roster holders who once had promise but that time has passed until we have reconstructed a farm system: Jaffray, Gagnon, Maxwell, Maceneaur, etc,etc.
Plus Wright, Antro, Peluso, and Slater are all injured.

I'm actually quite fine with staying pat, for now.
If the situation was different (ie: price and items that were being moved or Jets' placement) I'd be feeling and judging differently... but not this time.

2 posts I 100% agree with

We rented our UFA's and that's going to have to be enough this season.......measured response to a goofy overpriced market at the trade deadline.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Wheels is playing RW so that should pull pressure off of Kane...cause they can double team Kane all they want then, Wheels will enjoy the extra space to move.

That's the entire point of moving Buff up. Kane needs a threat on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad