Confirmed with Link: Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
If you put his picture on a puck that'll make sure Glass misses every chance.

#handsoflead

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Not understanding why people would say "this doesn't make sense for the team". Reminds me of the old Jet days when the media were dumping on the Domi/King trade when it turned out to be one of the better ones they ever made.

Peluso is an elite level tough guy in the AHL. He also played a regular shift down there and has decent hands for a big man. Is he going to be Milan Lucic? No. But I see a 8 to 10 minute a night guy that will scare the beejeesus out of people and help protect our future stars.

This is a Cheveldayoff team and one thing for certain I know about him is he wasn't a soft player and I doubt his teams will be soft.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not understanding why people would say "this doesn't make sense for the team". Reminds me of the old Jet days when the media were dumping on the Domi/King trade when it turned out to be one of the better ones they ever made.

Peluso is an elite level tough guy in the AHL. He also played a regular shift down there and has decent hands for a big man. Is he going to be Milan Lucic? No. But I see a 8 to 10 minute a night guy that will scare the beejeesus out of people and help protect our future stars.

This is a Cheveldayoff team and one thing for certain I know about him is he wasn't a soft player and I doubt his teams will be soft.

i think most of the negaative sentiment came around before we knew he was "a cpable fourth liner who's great at fighting" as opposed to "standard designated fighter". His statline reads like designated fighter, but apparently he can play.

Also, most of the "protect your stars" is bs imo.I don't think a big guy protects any stars because at the end of the day, you don't HAVE to fight the big guy.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
i think most of the negaative sentiment came around before we knew he was "a cpable fourth liner who's great at fighting" as opposed to "standard designated fighter". His statline reads like designated fighter, but apparently he can play.

Also, most of the "protect your stars" is bs imo.I don't think a big guy protects any stars because at the end of the day, you don't HAVE to fight the big guy.

When you feel protected you play better that is just the way it is. This team will feel better with a tough guy on their side. The BS is to think that it doesn't have an effect at all.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
When you feel protected you play better that is just the way it is. This team will feel better with a tough guy on their side. The BS is to think that it doesn't have an effect at all.

I also believe this to be true. If you ever watched Chevy play, he was a tough customer. The bigger benefit to me is the concept of some of our guys not necessarily having to fight. Case in point, when Evander Kane hits Karlson last year.

Sens don't like it, Neil is immediately in Kane's face with a fight that has us losing our top scorer for five minutes (plus the risk he hurt himself). This is exactly a situation where I think a Peluso could help. When I was in Calgary, Iggy broke his hand in a fight. After that, they never iced a team for a long time without a McCarty, Simon, Godard, Prust, McGrattan or whomever. Key is, all those guys could play a little (ok, not Godard!)...hope this guy is the same. :naughty:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I dunno...
I have yet to hear a single pro player ever mention they felt safe because of their goon or a person who guns for good players feel scared due to a goon.
I have heard the opposite though, of players vocalizing that a goon doesn't protect them or a player saying that a goon doesn't make them avoid a player...
One example off the top of my head was a player who said they tried to line up Gretzky every chance that he could and didn't give a **** about McSorley, just didn't happen much because Gretzky was friggin hard to hit. And that example is in the "old era" too...

I think what Chevy is looking for in this this guy is is hopefully a solid 4th liner who can be similar to Prust has been previously, a competent 4th liner who ALSO can add toughness and grit.
Whether he is a competent 4th liner is the question, which we won't see for a little while. If he isn't, his toughness becomes squat.

I also believe this to be true. If you ever watched Chevy play, he was a tough customer. The bigger benefit to me is the concept of some of our guys not necessarily having to fight. Case in point, when Evander Kane hits Karlson last year.

Sens don't like it, Neil is immediately in Kane's face with a fight that has us losing our top scorer for five minutes (plus the risk he hurt himself). This is exactly a situation where I think a Peluso could help. When I was in Calgary, Iggy broke his hand in a fight. After that, they never iced a team for a long time without a McCarty, Simon, Godard, Prust, McGrattan or whomever. Key is, all those guys could play a little (ok, not Godard!)...hope this guy is the same. :naughty:

This is I can agree with.

Would Neil still attack Kane if Peluso was on the ice, yup. I'm sure but Peluso would step in between.
Did Neil scare Kane from running Karlsson, nope. Would Peluso scare Neil from doing the same to Enstrom, nope.

CZ

Jan 6, 2013
My first post here....I remember when the Jets were in Boston last season and Stuart had to fight Thornton. Jets got pushed around that night, if they had a guy like Peluso in the lineup things may have been a little different. I say give the kid a chance, he might surprise us.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Peluso's first interview with Wpg media. He seemed overwhelmed with the throng that surrounded his locker but handled himself well.

Anthony Peluso – Reaction to being claimed by Winnipeg. What does he see as his role? Has he talked to coach Noel about his role? Work on developing his game. Any ties to the Jets organization? Does he expect to play on Saturday. What he knows about the market? Is he still on Cloud 11? First call he made when he got the word.

To listen click here.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
:banghead: What the hell is Chevy doing coming out this lockout...

First we sign freaking Jason ******* Jaffray, then we pick up a pure fighter...a role that is completely and utterly dead...stupid stupid...Tough guys are dead, I finally stopped having to watch one with my other favourite team when they realized this and dealt Westgarth now this crap...

If Jaffray or Peluso end up in Winnipeg over a Maceneauer I would not be happy...over a Machacek and I will be furious...this just makes no sense, we are fumbling bad coming out of the lockout.

So much for having 4 lines that can play the game of hockey...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
:banghead: What the hell is Chevy doing coming out this lockout...

First we sign freaking Jason ******* Jaffray, then we pick up a pure fighter...a role that is completely and utterly dead...stupid stupid...Tough guys are dead, I finally stopped having to watch one with my other favourite team when they realized this and dealt Westgarth now this crap...

If Jaffray or Peluso end up in Winnipeg over a Maceneauer I would not be happy...over a Machacek and I will be furious...this just makes no sense, we are fumbling bad coming out of the lockout.

So much for having 4 lines that can play the game of hockey...

Jaffray hasn't left and won't won't be leaving the Rock any time soon.

The signing was simply to make an emergency call up possible.

I don't know enough about Peluso to care. I don't see Mach or Mach as difference makers anyways.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Jaffray hasn't left and won't won't be leaving the Rock any time soon.

The signing was simply to make an emergency call up possible.

I don't know enough about Peluso to care. I don't see Mach or Mach as difference makers anyways.

I've been completely disconnected from the world (ie internet) for the past few days, and from the TC thread I got the impression that Jaffray was in Winnipeg...?

I hate dinosauric fighters...I don't believe for a second that Peluso is more than a fighter, every single fighter coming from the AHL you hear, "oh but he's more than fighter", but no they are useless fighters, hurts the team by not playing hockey then once a blue moon they have a staged fight that helps nothing. Doesn't even add momentum because nobody cares about heavyweight's fighting...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I've been completely disconnected from the world (ie internet) for the past few days, and from the TC thread I got the impression that Jaffray was in Winnipeg...?

I hate dinosauric fighters...I don't believe for a second that Peluso is more than a fighter, every single fighter coming from the AHL you hear, "oh but he's more than fighter", but no they are useless fighters, hurts the team by not playing hockey then once a blue moon they have a staged fight that helps nothing. Doesn't even add momentum because nobody cares about heavyweight's fighting...

Nope. Jaff isn't in the Peg and they don't plan on bringing him in.

I agree about 3 minute fighters, but Noel has already said repeatedly that he has no use for Tony P in that role. Not sure why he is here, apparently they see more. We will see.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% agree with you on the staged fighter charade. however I want to see if he can play hockey and how and where we might use him before I pass final judgement. as far as I can tell we didn't give up anything for him so I will let it play out. I would like Chris Neil on our 4th line any day of the week just not Brian McGrattan.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Don't worry dude, this was mine and a lot of others first reactions as well.

Looks like the kid is a decent skater and has decent hands too. Noel as much said he thinks he can actually play.

Guys who are around just to fight erk me as well. Totally useless.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Perhaps give him a shot before going bananas? Claude has said he has no use for a 3 minute player, so if that's what he is he'll be waived. On the blues board he was well regarded and considered to be a worthy 4th line player.
I just don't see whats to be worked up about at this point? If he sucks, he'll get waived. Similar to Maclean last year.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Perhaps give him a shot before going bananas? Claude has said he has no use for a 3 minute player, so if that's what he is he'll be waived. On the blues board he was well regarded and considered to be a worthy 4th line player.
I just don't see whats to be worked up about at this point? If he sucks, he'll get waived. Similar to Maclean last year.

Bingo. If Peluso can play, and it sounds like he may be able to, then great. If not, it's no big deal as we'll just rid ourselves of him. Noel not liking "3 minute players" is encouraging.

Nothing to get too worked up over, or worry too much about, I don't think.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bingo. If Peluso can play, and it sounds like he may be able to, then great. If not, it's no big deal as we'll just rid ourselves of him. Noel not liking "3 minute players" is encouraging.

Nothing to get too worked up over, or worry too much about, I don't think.

Noels 3 minute players are promising youngsters, in order to ruin their development....Strip Chara for a break away, sit out the entire next period, best player on the ice, here's a ticket to St. John's, play solid dependable hockey from the backend, benched in favour of AHLers like Flood until sent to St. John's...clearly Noel does like 3 minute players, they just have to be promising youngsters

Since Peluso is not a promising young player, I guess we will see plenty of him ala Jaffray and Gagnon, who played quite a bit when up last season...

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Noels 3 minute players are promising youngsters, in order to ruin their development....Strip Chara for a break away, sit out the entire next period, best player on the ice, here's a ticket to St. John's, play solid dependable hockey from the backend, benched in favour of AHLers like Flood until sent to St. John's...clearly Noel does like 3 minute players, they just have to be promising youngsters

Since Peluso is not a promising young player, I guess we will see plenty of him ala Jaffray and Gagnon, who played quite a bit when up last season...

I think you're overreacting, with all due respect. We'll see how it plays out. We've got bigger issues to potentially worry about, this won't, or should not sink us. I know you're not a Noel fan, and that's fine, and maybe he does make a questionable decision every now and again, but if a 4th line winger has as negative of an effect as you're making it to be, we're in big, big trouble.

You never know, Peluso appears to be a good enough skater and stick handler that it's possible he plays a Jordan Nolan sort of role for us. Or if not, perhaps he impacts us in another positive way. Maybe he turns into a Brandon Prust. Who knows. If he doesn't though, he's gone just as quickly and easily as we got him. Worth a look in my opinion. We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

You are a crabby pants today.

I still think that is a gross mischaracterizaition of what happened last year. I wanted to see more Kulda too, but your call up talk is a) silly and b) Chevy's fault.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think you're overreacting, with all due respect. We'll see how it plays out. We've got bigger issues to potentially worry about, this won't, or should not sink us. I know you're not a Noel fan, and that's fine, and maybe he does make a questionable decision every now and again, but if a 4th line winger has as negative of an effect as you're making it to be, we're in big, big trouble.

No this will not decide the season, obviously...but when this dinosaur can't keep up to the play, takes bad penalties and prevents us from being a 4 line attacking team that will drove people nuts with depth you can think of me.

It only takes 1 player to completely ruin a line, see Westgarth, Kevin in LA last year, once he got benched the team went nuts (mid-Jan) since he was not holding back the 4 line attack anymore. Now obviously that's not the only reason, but it was certainly one of them.

If he manages to contribute, feel completely free to quote me and call me out on it. But there's little I hate more than useless fighters (read: Nothing!), and that's what he does. The scariest part about Noels hating "3 min players" means that even if he is a useless goon he might play more than 3 min...now that could REALLY hurt us.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I still think we should just sit back and see what Peluso can offer before we get up in sorts and write him off. I think you're making assumptions and jumping to conclusions when you or many here - including myself - have no idea what Peluso will offer. Pretty short sighted, in my opinion. I hate goons just like you do, but who's to say Peluso is that? From what I have read from those who have watched him, he isn't just a goon, so im unsure what you're so pissy about. The "thought" of him being a goon, sure, but again, we do not know yet.

Time will tell, and likely pretty quickly.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
No this will not decide the season, obviously...but when this dinosaur can't keep up to the play, takes bad penalties and prevents us from being a 4 line attacking team that will drove people nuts with depth you can think of me.

It only takes 1 player to completely ruin a line, see Westgarth, Kevin in LA last year, once he got benched the team went nuts (mid-Jan) since he was not holding back the 4 line attack anymore. Now obviously that's not the only reason, but it was certainly one of them.

If he manages to contribute, feel completely free to quote me and call me out on it. But there's little I hate more than useless fighters (read: Nothing!), and that's what he does. The scariest part about Noels hating "3 min players" means that even if he is a useless goon he might play more than 3 min...now that could REALLY hurt us.

Do you have ANY previous knowledge of this player or are you just assuming he can't skate etc?
I just don't get the vitriol, either way there's a good chance you're right, I'm just not gonna hate the move till I've at least seen him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

and i though ti reacted negatively to this, sheeesh.

We all had the exact same reaction, though after reading up what a lot of blues fans say and noels presser it doesn't sound like he's being brought in to be a designated fighter.

if he can play and hit and drop the gloves, fine. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking Mac and Mac could walk onto any nhl roster (including 4th lines).

let it play out, if he turns into a decent fourth line player wahts that harm? If he doesn't and gets waived what's the harm?

as guerzy stated, if 2-3 game stint that doesn't work out for fourth liner is what sinks this team we have much bigger issues.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

You should probably let the guy play a game before you start passing out judgments. Yeah, I was with you in the beginning before reading more about him from people who actually saw him play, now I'm at least going to give him a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad