Confirmed with Link: Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I understand giving him a chance now that it's happened, fine whatever, we are committed now. I just don't understand the move for a fighter.

Let's put it this way, I heard the same stories about how Kevin Westgarth, Ryan Reaves, Patrick Kaleta, Zack Stortini, Tom Sestito, Matt Hendricks, etc were much better than your average goon, they could all actually play hockey, blah blah blah, pre-NHL for them. Look how well that worked out. I can't name a single example of an AHL fighter becoming a useful NHLer...Shawn Thornton, maybe? Yeah...

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I think he was signed as a deterrent/intimidator. If he can contribute some penalty-free 4th line energy shifts, fine. Jets are structured as a physical team - not a finesse, Redwing-like team. To that end, some would say we need a strong physical trump card. Can't help remembering what Lucic did to Buffalo last year.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
My main concern about Peluso is that most of these "more than a fighter" types (ex. Rypien, Prust, Neil, etc) usually put up decent offense numbers in either Junior or the AHL.

As far as I can tell, Peluso has never had an offensive touch so I can't see him developing one now in the NHL.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I understand giving him a chance now that it's happened, fine whatever, we are committed now. I just don't understand the move for a fighter.

Let's put it this way, I heard the same stories about how Kevin Westgarth, Ryan Reaves, Patrick Kaleta, Zack Stortini, Tom Sestito, Matt Hendricks, etc were much better than your average goon, they could all actually play hockey, blah blah blah, pre-NHL for them. Look how well that worked out. I can't name a single example of an AHL fighter becoming a useful NHLer...Shawn Thornton, maybe? Yeah...

They are useless for you. In my book, a enforcer who put 5 pts a year bring more to the table than a softy who put 10 pts a year.....

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think he was signed as a deterrent/intimidator. If he can contribute some penalty-free 4th line energy shifts, fine. Jets are structured as a physical team - not a finesse, Redwing-like team. To that end, some would say we need a strong physical trump card. Can't help remembering what Lucic did to Buffalo last year.
I am all for a physical team, but I hate the idea of pushing talent aside for size.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
My main concern about Peluso is that most of these "more than a fighter" types (ex. Rypien, Prust, Neil, etc) usually put up decent offense numbers in either Junior or the AHL.

As far as I can tell, Peluso has never had an offensive touch so I can't see him developing one now in the NHL.

Wouldn't read too much into his numbers from Junior, he mostly played defence.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
They are useless for you. In my book, a enforcer who put 5 pts a year bring more to the table than a softy who put 10 pts a year.....

Depends... how many goals is the enforcer and softy letting in on our end...
That's where some of the scepticism about being able to play arises from... plus the domino effect of taking a spot that could lessen the load on big minute players so you don't get worn thin...

Not saying this is or isn't the guy... but just saying..

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Peluso put up 37 points in 63 games as a 19 year old in the OHL (season before his overage year), about in line with what Prust and Rypien produced in junior as 19 year olds. His AHL numbers are underwhelming to say the least, but I don't know how much of that was played on D.

My expectations are pretty low for this guy, but it's not like I'm distraught about acquiring him either. We'll see how it plays out.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

Check me if I am wrong, but do any of those guys belong to Gary Roberts' program? He is known for not taking slugs - he has no time for that. Zenon Konopka rode shotgun for my buddy in Hartford...he did ok.

Look, I will be happy to see the guy shipped out if he is a slug - but for god sakes Holden, its not like we are breaking up the Stanley Cup Champions if they give this kid a look on the 4th line. Some of you guys may "hate" fighting, but that doesn't change the fact that a good tilt every now and again can fire up a team or the fans...much ado about nothing...just my take. :)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Look, I will be happy to see the guy shipped out if he is a slug - but for god sakes Holden, its not like we are breaking up the Stanley Cup Champions if they give this kid a look on the 4th line. Some of you guys may "hate" fighting, but that doesn't change the fact that a good tilt every now and again can fire up a team or the fans...much ado about nothing...just my take. :)

I like fighting actually. Passion fights can be exciting and as you said can change the outlook of a game...if they mean something.

Tough guy's have nice staged fights to earn their paycheck that nobody on either sides gives a **** about. Guys like a Westgarth, Orr, Brissonnette, etc don't do anything, staged fights do not change momentum since players don't care...

We will see, but I do not see anything more than a staged goon here that will hurt the team by not allowing us to play a 4 line attack...I mean the guy couldn't even beat out stone hands pretty much useless Ryan Reaves for a roster spot...:help:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I like fighting actually. Passion fights can be exciting and as you said can change the outlook of a game...if they mean something.

Tough guy's have nice staged fights to earn their paycheck that nobody on either sides gives a **** about. Guys like a Westgarth, Orr, Brissonnette, etc don't do anything, staged fights do not change momentum since players don't care...

We will see, but I do not see anything more than a staged goon here that will hurt the team by not allowing us to play a 4 line attack...I mean the guy couldn't even beat out stone hands pretty much useless Ryan Reaves for a roster spot...:help:

I think the entire concept of momentum from fights is nonsense. People only acknowledge successes and completely ignore the failures which actually happen a lot. Staged fight or not I disagree with momentum.

Yay confirmation bias!

That said I have nothing against fighting. The passion and extreme commitment are awesome aspects of sport. I do dislike staged fights in hockey though.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I disagree, players say it all the time that it can lift the bench and swing momentum. As someone whos played, as many have, my opinion is it's certainly not nonsense to me. Maybe for others it just doesn't flick the switch. For many I think it can. Of course, it can have the opposite effect too, I understand. I still believe there is a place for it, to me, it's just engraved within the game.

As for staged fights, ya, I generally don't like it. But the 'old school' guy in me says it can be good, entertaining part of the game. Think some of the games best fight of all time, Domi vs. Probert. Staged. You knew it was gunna happen. They knew it was gunna happen. Classics.

Another example for me personally, if Peluso plays Saturday, i'd love to see him dance with Chris Neil. Pick your spots and be smart about it though. I don't expect or want just a goon, but Chris Neil is one of the games heavyweights, so if Peluso wants to be a heavyweight and be respected as a tough guy, he'll have to line up and go through the other tough guys/heavyweights of the league. Neil did the exact same thing when he broke into the NHL, went Domi at every opportunity. That's just the way it is for me, old school. If he sticks and earns his keep, i'd like to see him go toe-to-toe with any and all of the games toughest. I want to see Anthony play the game honest the way its meant to be played, but I also want to see what he can offer as a tough guy and to do so and make a name for himself, as a rookie, he'll have to prove himself. It's part of the game for me, I want to see it. That's just me, though. I don't expect everyone to view it that way.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

I dunno, I'd gladly take Matt Hendricks on my team's 4th line any day. Just his shootout capabilities alone are a big help in securing those extra points.

Like others have said though, let's just see what the kid can do. It's not like we've given anything to acquire him. If he can play aggressive on the forecheck and create a little havoc in the crease, who knows maybe he pots a few. If he's a liability, he will be gone.

Not saying he's going to be anything more than a 4th liner, but sometimes you gotta trust your pro scouts. Every now and then they uncover a player that just needed an opportunity.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I disagree, players say it all the time that it can lift the bench and swing momentum. As someone whos played, as many have, my opinion is it's certainly not nonsense to me. Maybe for others it just doesn't flick the switch. For many I think it can. Of course, it can have the opposite effect too, I understand. I still believe there is a place for it, to me, it's just engraved within the game.

As for staged fights, ya, I generally don't like it. But the 'old school' guy in me says it can be good, entertaining part of the game. Think some of the games best fight of all time, Domi vs. Probert. Staged. You knew it was gunna happen. They knew it was gunna happen. Classics.

Just my opinion of course.

Lots of people say and believe things that are complete nonsense. Litterally billions of them. Heck 68% of Republicans believe in demonic possession. Believers =/= proof or fact.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Lots of people say and believe things that are complete nonsense. Litterally billions of them. Heck 68% of Republicans believe in demonic possession. Believers =/= proof.

That's fine, I'm just saying what the players say, right from Junior to the NHL.

As I said though, I don't expect all or everyone to agree or view it how I do.

OmarComin

Jan 8, 2012
Just my two cents but I think he will be in the pressbox most of the year. With no games against the west we will be getting into some situations with eastern teams that could get pretty heated, and it will sit in the back of other coaches and players minds that next time they come to town, Peluso will be ready to greet them, getting minutes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's fine, I'm just saying what the players say, right from Junior to the NHL.

As I said though, I don't expect all or everyone to agree or view it how I do.

If Peluso does nothing more than play 6 minutes a night, hit everything that moves with that big body and chuck a few I think he will be filling the role of 4th liner nicely.

I am interested to see how he can play. Keep in mind I don't really care for Thorburn because I don't think he's an NHL quality player (though he's a great guy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad