Confirmed with Link: Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think the entire concept of momentum from fights is nonsense. People only acknowledge successes and completely ignore the failures which actually happen a lot. Staged fight or not I disagree with momentum.

Yay confirmation bias!

That said I have nothing against fighting. The passion and extreme commitment are awesome aspects of sport. I do dislike staged fights in hockey though.

I would normally agree, but when Slater fought at the end of the year last year, during the Jets playoff run, against a bigger opponent, and held his own (if not, won the decision), that really gave the Jets a boost in game they needed to win (and went on to win, i believe).

I think that moment really solidified Slater's value to the team and endeared him to many a Jets fan. Not staged, just in reaction to what was going on around him. Those situations are key and guys like Slater are strong, character guys.

Now, if Peluso skates around looking to engage in a fight just to try to swing momentum, then i have no use for that either. Players become fans and like to watch the fight, but it really has no impact on the game.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
All this talk about fighting got me curious, so I went back and watched our fights from the previous year.
We actually did pretty poorly, Thorburn in particular. He's a willing combatant but he just doesn't do very well.
Its debatable if fights have an effect on momentum, but I think its safe to say that losing fights certainly doesn't help.
Either way check it out: http://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/31/fightcard/reg2012

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I would normally agree, but when Slater fought at the end of the year last year, during the Jets playoff run, against a bigger opponent, and held his own (if not, won the decision), that really gave the Jets a boost in game they needed to win (and went on to win, i believe).

I think that moment really solidified Slater's value to the team and endeared him to many a Jets fan. Not staged, just in reaction to what was going on around him. Those situations are key and guys like Slater are strong, character guys.

Now, if Peluso skates around looking to engage in a fight just to try to swing momentum, then i have no use for that either. Players become fans and like to watch the fight, but it really has no impact on the game.

The guy was bigger but it's not like Laich is really known for the fisticuffs either...

If this guy turns out to a piss poor 6-7 min guy and can only hit and fight, I hope we waive him quick. If he can hit and fight, and not be a defensive liability than sweet.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The guy was bigger but it's not like Laich is really known for the fisticuffs either...

If this guy turns out to a piss poor 6-7 min guy and can only hit and fight, I hope we waive him quick. If he can hit and fight, and not be a defensive liability than sweet.

You'd think the Jets would've had some scouts keeping an eye on guys playing in the AHL this year they thought might come up on waivers, so maybe they see some potential here. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The Jets organization has tonnes of expertise with the AHL and I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing when they snatched him.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I think the entire concept of momentum from fights is nonsense. People only acknowledge successes and completely ignore the failures which actually happen a lot. Staged fight or not I disagree with momentum.

Yay confirmation bias!

That said I have nothing against fighting. The passion and extreme commitment are awesome aspects of sport. I do dislike staged fights in hockey though.

With all due respect, I disagree. It actually sounds like you are contradictoring yourself in your post. Serious question, have you been part of a high level hockey team? It is not nonsense...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There are a couple of interviews in the FP and Sun in regards to Peluso. The comments and anecdotes have me a little higher up on this pickup, and as he was picked up on waivers, is of no personal risk to us. I hope he pans out, because he sounds like he'll be a fan favourite if he plays his pucks right. :D

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
With all due respect, I disagree. It actually sounds like you are contradictoring yourself in your post. Serious question, have you been part of a high level hockey team? It is not nonsense...

You don't have to agree with me.

Where did I contradict myself?

The high level hockey thing is neither here nor there. As I said before, believers =/= evidence. People who are taught something tend to believe it.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
I'm okay with having him try to strut his stuff for us, however I wouldn't have a very long leash on him. At some points I'd rather dress a Heavy or Middleweight who is just a stick-in- here type of player then waste time trying to figure out a guy in this situation where he could have some good nights but then some bad ones that equal a player like I mentioned above.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
You don't have to agree with me.

Where did I contradict myself?

The high level hockey thing is neither here nor there. As I said before, believers =/= evidence. People who are taught something tend to believe em.

It's not about being taught something, it's playing the game and experiencing it for yourself. Which then makes it easy to relate to when you hear another fellow player speak of how it lifts the bench, swings momentum, etc.

That's my own personal opinion anyhow. But like I said earlier in the thread, for some it may flick the switch, for others it may not.

Anyhow, we obviously have differing views, and I don't think one is right or wrong, even if I disagree with you.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
It's not about being taught something, it's playing the game and experiencing it for yourself. Which then makes it easy to relate to when you hear another fellow player speak of how it lifts the bench, swings momentum, etc.

That's my own personal opinion anyhow. But like I said earlier in the thread, for some it may flick the switch, for others it may not.

Anyhow, we obviously have differing views, and I don't think one is right or wrong, even if I disagree with you.

Bang on, nothing else to say about this.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I agree that fighting "organically" can "lift the bench."

the thing is, i don't think "lifting the bench" actually does anything. Sure the guys play harder, but it doesn't actually produce a beneficial outcome.

i think behindthenet did a study on fighting. The result was, yes, after a fight there was a reasonable increased likelyhood of a goal being scored in the next 5 or ten minutes (can't remember which). The problem was there was zero correlation between which team one the fight and which team scored a goal.

all that says to me is that fighting in itself "lifts" the bench for both teams, regardless of the outcome. Maybe "being lifted" leads to a little more high risk/emotional play?

either way, having someone whos bad at hockey but wins fights isn't as good as having someone whos ok at hockey and loses fights (but gets into them).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Personally I can see both being true dependent on age and level. I can even remember acknowledging the difference when I was young. I'm sure youth will always get rilled up.

It still is a poor source of evidence of it actually working, how often it works relqative to it failing and if the costs of such a guy outweigh the benefits.

And yes people I did play high level hockey as did/does my brothers (between the four of us we got junior b, a, ushl, high end div 2 college and even low end pro) and one of my bro's is even a grit guy (not enforcer, a grit guy, like Glass I guess).

I can see passionate fights has its uses; I'm a fan of it and enjoy it. But, big goon guys are not for that.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

That is all I was getting at Truck with playing, Guerzy captured it well.

I have been in situations where it lifts the team, and conversely been demoralized when getting the crap kicked out of us :laugh:

passnthru

Dec 5, 2011
Whats the deal with the "sniper" moniker from Noel during practice?

And any reports on his skating?

JP

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

JP

Apparently he scored a couple goals including one on a breakaway.

I believe Noel called Thor "Sniper" for a while last year too.

He also refers to the Slater / Scheifele line as the first line. He is just goofing around.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

JP

Thorburn went through a massive drought through the season, then ended up scoring a bunch of beauty goals. I remember a top-shelf snipe and then the toe-drag on Miller (which wasn't a real toe-drag as it was actually a rebound off the pads.).

So the moniker is semi-sarcastic as Thorburn is obviously a grinder, but has ripped a few beauties earning him the nickname.

Noel just really likes to joke around during pressers.

passnthru

Dec 5, 2011
Apparently he scored a couple goals including one on a breakaway.

I believe Noel called Thor "Sniper" for a while last year too.

He also refers to the Slater / Scheifele line as the first line. He is just goofing around.

Thanks for that. I know Noel plays with the press a fair bit and remember Thor getting those beauties but was just wondering whether it was sarcastic directed at Peluso (ie dissapointed) or in relation to a similar situation as Thor. Gald the kid wants to impress and is being noticed.

He did mention in an interview yestereday that TNSE had their eye on him. Whether that was a Moose or IceCaps thing who knows. So Chevy must have pulled out his list of "if's" when the waviers came up.

For what ever reason I'm cheering for him, not because of the thug aspect but that he is experiencing the dream call up to the bigs and by the quality/effort he puts into his training he is taking the whole thing very seriously. I'm hoping his skating is not cringe worthy and he can plant himself in front of the net and be the wrecking crew.
Also like the "diamond in the rough" aspect to all this. Call Disney...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
interesting debate about fighting and whether it lifts a team or not?

I think we might be drilling too deep on what the impact of one fight does vs the value of a very tough player who can fight (not a 3 minute a game goon). I heard Brad May say he thinks Ottawa will take a step back this season because he thinks they will miss the toughness of Konopka and Carkner and that other teams can now take more liberties? Now he could be right or wrong but I sensed a team toughness from Ottawa last year when they were in our barn that might have given them an edge IMO

Team size and being tough to play against is a stated goal of TNSE and if Peluso can play well enough and get us closer to that goal then so be it.

Listen say what you will but in a playoff series it can still be a factor. IMHO Boston intimidated Vancouver and the Nucks quit playing in that series. from Game 3 to 7 Boston outscored Vancouver 21 to 4 and if not for a 1-0 shutout at home Van might have been swept 4 strait. The Sedin's got pushed around and everyone on the Ice and the Nucks bench looked the other way or dropped their heads... Bieksa who showed us how very tough he was when beating up on Patric Marleau and Victor Stalberg failed to rise to the challenge as did any of the other so called grit players on Vancouver?? A player I talked to on Boston said Vancouver quit playing in game 6 and he assumed it was just an off night but he was really surprised when they didn't show up at home in game 7.

Now I am not saying we need to fight to intimidate and I am acutely aware that Boston and LA (who used size and physicality very effectively in last year’s playoffs) both had lights out goaltending in the years they won the cup but those are both examples of "big teams" winning and not clubs with the mega star talent like a Crosby Malkin type. It’s a copy cat league and since we don’t have the Oiler's 1st overall type talent I think we know which way TNSE is going (Trouba, Sutter, Lowry).

Anthony “may” get a sniff of 4th line action at some point but this is far from earth shattering and one way or the other if he is a liability he will be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad