Post-Game Talk: Jets beat Ducks in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
yeah...it's hilariously amusing...when people on a sports forum get worked up about stuff that's out of their control. You know, cuz there's so much about following a team that is in our control. lol...

You're right, it is.
If anyone wants to lose sleep over wins, more power to them. I'm just not buying that that's what sports fandom is all about.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Sports fandom is all about following a team to glory right? All the ups and downs as they struggle to get into the playoffs and hopefully one day win a championship...that's what its about for me anyway. So, as it stands for the Jets right now we have no hope of achieving that this year. The best we can do is put ourselves in a better position to accomplish that next year - and one way of doing that is to draft as high as possible this year. The only limited amount of influence we can have over draft position is the spot we finish at in the standings - after that it's a crap-shoot. Therefore, I hope we lose the rest of our games. Winning does nothing for us. Losing does very little at this point, but it could still do something.

If it's silly for us to worry about wins now because its "out of our control," then it's equally silly for us to worry about loses when we're still in the hunt next season since that's out of our control too.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sports fandom is all about following a team to glory right? All the ups and downs as they struggle to get into the playoffs and hopefully one day win a championship...that's what its about for me anyway. So, as it stands for the Jets right now we have no hope of achieving that this year. The best we can do is put ourselves in a better position to accomplish that next year - and one way of doing that is to draft as high as possible this year. The only limited amount of influence we can have over draft position is the spot we finish at in the standings - after that it's a crap-shoot. Therefore, I hope we lose the rest of our games. Winning does nothing for us. Losing does very little at this point, but it could still do something.

If it's silly for us to worry about wins now because its "out of our control," then it's equally silly for us to worry about loses when we're still in the hunt next season since that's out of our control too.

I hope the Jets lose out. The players don't, though. They're not going to play along, even though management has done all they can to throw up roadblocks for them without being incredibly obvious about it.

S'all I'm saying. I do get where you're coming from though.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I hope the Jets lose out. The players don't, though. They're not going to play along, even though management has done all they can to throw up roadblocks for them without being incredibly obvious about it.

jeez mang! I'm pretty sure you've read tons of my posts on this subject in the past few days...I've repeatedly stated that I don't expect the players to do anything but try to win! lol...

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Sports fandom is all about following a team to glory right? All the ups and downs as they struggle to get into the playoffs and hopefully one day win a championship...that's what its about for me anyway.
I agree. :cheers:

This is a false equivalence. The players will always want to win every game. That's their objective, regardless of the standings. I'm all for the best draft position possible, but freaking out because the team we support achieved their goal in a particular game seems silly to me. YMMV

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I agree. :cheers:

This is a false equivalence. The players will always want to win every game. That's their objective, regardless of the standings. I'm all for the best draft position possible, but freaking out because the team we support achieved their goal in a particular game seems silly to me. YMMV

yeah but whether they achieve their goal or not, it's out of our control so why worry about it?? We're not the players. What they want isn't the issue...so I guess yes, my mileage does vary. :D

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

Agreed, I hope they lose every game when the playoffs are beyond reach, but I never ever want to see the players not give everything they have.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
paul postma is an enigma....he is a beautiful skater, he handles the puck relatively well, has a nice shot and is able to get it through to the net, he jumps up into the rush and creates some pretty decent scoring opportunities and according to this boards analytics guru he should be a regular on the blueline.

So what is it that coaches find so repulsive that he gets relegated to the press box year after year? After all a talent of this level is deserving of a far better fate, no?

I believe the issue lies in his defensive zone play, the glaring mistakes that get burned into a coaches memory long after the game. case in point the minnesota wild game back in the fall where poor paul got undressed by thomas vannek, it made the sportsnet top 20 plays of the year and was played over and over. last night in overtime jacob silverberg went into the corner with paul in a puck battle, only paul really wasnt up for the fight and silverberg took the puck and proceeded (not even around) him, but through him right to the front of the net where hutch had to bail him out. I am sure other fans see this failing of his, his compete level when it comes to the physical element of the game and winning those one on one battles is seriously lacking and must be a source of great frustration for coaches who see many of the other elements that make up a very good defenceman present in paul.

i believe therein lies the underlying reason for press box paul

I think he's just been buried behind Buff, Bogo/Myers, and Trouba. He's not going to get long leash when he's behind all those guys on the depth chart at RD. I think he makes a good 3rd pairing defenseman - and that type of player isn't going to be perfect. I'd rather see a Chiarot-Postma or Morrissey-Postma 3rd pair next year than Stu-Anyone.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Why are these guys winning now and where the **** was this effort all season.
Go for the draft pick.

WTF.

It was there ... they were just getting bad bounces and lots of penalties. Notice now how they are not getting as many penalties. Maybe the NHL told the refs to go easy on the Jets now that they are out of the playoffs for the last couple of months.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
bad math there

Cap Hit

16/17 733K
17/17 1.533M

Cost

16/17 1.533M
17/18 1.533M

Savings

16/17 3.166M
17/18 (-1.533M)

I don't follow. AAV 3.9. Buyout saves 1/3. Remaining 2/3 spread over 2 years = 1.3 mil per year. Therefore cap hit in that 2nd year = 1.3 mil.

Not talking about actual money saved. That is 1/3 of 4.75 mil = 1.5833333 mil.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Yep. I can't expect Jets players to cooperate with losing games any more than I can expect them to cooperate with winning games.

At this point, I don't know that I can go fully over to "the dark side" and cheer for the Jets to lose. It's more of a mild annoyance when they win, mild relief when they lose.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't say he's been getting the job done defensively. A CF of 46.25% while playing the most sheltered minutes on the team indicates to me that he really shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. Granted I'd probably take him over Stu at this point.

OK, I'll rephrase. He appears to be getting the job done defensively. I didn't refer to any stats. I'm not going to get too excited over Corsi with such a small sample size but that is not good.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't follow. AAV 3.9. Buyout saves 1/3. Remaining 2/3 spread over 2 years = 1.3 mil per year. Therefore cap hit in that 2nd year = 1.3 mil.

The cap hit is spread out a bit differently.

The formula is explained here: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq

Or better yet, just use the buyout calculator on Pavelec's General Fanager page: http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/2038?day=15&year=2016

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Doesn't really help the Jets that much financially, and might actually create a bit of a log-jam in the cap for 2017/18. But I'd be for buying him out just to get his sorry butt out of here. I don't want to see his sulking face on the bench, or listen to his whiney interviews next year as he gets relegated to 2nd string.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
paul postma is an enigma....he is a beautiful skater, he handles the puck relatively well, has a nice shot and is able to get it through to the net, he jumps up into the rush and creates some pretty decent scoring opportunities and according to this boards analytics guru he should be a regular on the blueline.

So what is it that coaches find so repulsive that he gets relegated to the press box year after year? After all a talent of this level is deserving of a far better fate, no?

I believe the issue lies in his defensive zone play, the glaring mistakes that get burned into a coaches memory long after the game. case in point the minnesota wild game back in the fall where poor paul got undressed by thomas vannek, it made the sportsnet top 20 plays of the year and was played over and over. last night in overtime jacob silverberg went into the corner with paul in a puck battle, only paul really wasnt up for the fight and silverberg took the puck and proceeded (not even around) him, but through him right to the front of the net where hutch had to bail him out. I am sure other fans see this failing of his, his compete level when it comes to the physical element of the game and winning those one on one battles is seriously lacking and must be a source of great frustration for coaches who see many of the other elements that make up a very good defenceman present in paul.

i believe therein lies the underlying reason for press box paul

While I agree Paul's D zone play has the most room to improve (and it has gotten better) this is what is also my biggest issue. He is so much better in the D zone with all his warts than Stuart. I mean light years. Mark is just terrible at board battles because he lacks puck skill, he gets walked as much if not more of what you were describing, he has a total lack of ability to clear the zone when he does get the puck....it's like Trouba needs goalie gear because he faces 30 shots a night from Stu. Add that with his worst fault which is if I don't run you at your blue line you can pretty much walk in my side because I am backing it all the way in and have zero gap control ability......WTF!!! Ok I am ranting now but Postma has so much more to offer IN ALL THREE ZONES yet Stu gets the nod due to character or something I guess??

Paul's usage may be an enigma but that is on Chevy, PMo, Huddy, and TNSE not on Paul Postma. Sorry but he is our 5th best D man and has been for a while IMO.

#freePostma

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
While I agree Paul's D zone play has the most room to improve (and it has gotten better) this is what is also my biggest issue. He is so much better in the D zone with all his warts than Stuart. I mean light years. Mark is just terrible at board battles because he lacks puck skill, he gets walked as much if not more of what you were describing, he has a total lack of ability to clear the zone when he does get the puck....it's like Trouba needs goalie gear because he faces 30 shots a night from Stu. Add that with his worst fault which is if I don't run you at your blue line you can pretty much walk in my side because I am backing it all the way in and have zero gap control ability......WTF!!! Ok I am ranting now but Postma has so much more to offer IN ALL THREE ZONES yet Stu gets the nod due to character or something I guess??

Paul's usage may be an enigma but that is on Chevy, PMo, Huddy, and TNSE not on Paul Postma. Sorry but he is our 5th best D man and has been for a while IMO.

#freePostma

Getzlaf coming down Stu's side last night was laughable.

I nominate the Trouba goalie gear comment for post of the season.:handclap:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't really help the Jets that much financially, and might actually create a bit of a log-jam in the cap for 2017/18. But I'd be for buying him out just to get his sorry butt out of here. I don't want to see his sulking face on the bench, or listen to his whiney interviews next year as he gets relegated to 2nd string.

Maybe net .75 mil saved. Still a lot of money around my house.:laugh: They aren't going to be that close to the cap in 17/18 either. The important thing is to get him outta town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad