Post-Game Talk: Jets beat Ducks in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
for the two periods i watched, i thought postma was pretty decent. boggles the mind that he sat for 80% of the year.

That's probably what bugs me the most about the coaching (other than the special teams). Our results were terrible most of the year. Yet game after game we sent out the same D lineup (barring injuries). Would it have been so bad to rotate out one or two every few games? We had bottom 6 options available in Postma and Pardy all year. Rotate those out with Chiarot (who was relatively bad for a lot of the year), and I know I'm dreaming, Stuart. It's not like we could've been much worse.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't know why Chiarot got so much lanyard, either. He was sidecar to Buff. Chiarot with Stuart was a ****ing mess. Enstrom and Myers wasn't great, either.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hey the Jets have won 3 in a row for the first time this season , the only thing that is almost a guarantee with this franchise is wherever we do pick , it's going to be a good player . History tells us so , i'm not worried with that . I'm worried we still have Pavelec and Stuart starting next year .

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hey the Jets have won 3 in a row for the first time this season , the only thing that is almost a guarantee with this franchise is wherever we do pick , it's going to be a good player . History tells us so , i'm not worried with that . I'm worried we still have Pavelec and Stuart starting next year .

Not yet they haven't: the last three were OTL, W, and OTW.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not yet they haven't: the last three were OTL, W, and OTW.

He was 66% correct! :sarcasm:

Brandon Tanev looks like another in a long list of call-ups, replacements and rookies who could immediately step into the lineup in Thorburn's spot and make the team better for half the price.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Brandon Tanev looks like another in a long list of call-ups, replacements and rookies who could immediately step into the lineup in Thorburn's spot and make the team better for half the price.

925k/1.2M = 77%

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Well he is half the size of Thorbs so price is adjusted, seriously though you may be right, Jets no longer seem to be a physical hitting team (Buff aside) so big guys who don't do much other than hit or fight may be redundant.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I hate the Ducks and an glad we won this one against these guys in their own building. The young guys have a lot of fight in them, but it looks like goaltending was the difference in this one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well he is half the size of Thorbs so price is adjusted, seriously though you may be right, Jets no longer seem to be a physical hitting team (Buff aside) so big guys who don't do much other than hit or fight may be redundant.

It's been fairly obvious that the Jets are moving from a "heavy" team to a "fast" team, while still wanting aggressiveness. Maurice has said on several occasions that Perreault plays the way he wants his forwards to play, though he isn't a big guy. Their drafts and trades have been to bring in faster and more skilled players. The Tanev signing shows that they value speed and aggressiveness, but don't feel that they need huge players to succeed. I could see players like Lowry, Copp, Armia and Lemieux being the type of big forwards that they are looking for, rather than Thorbs and Peluso.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I hate the Ducks and an glad we won this one against these guys in their own building. The young guys have a lot of fight in them, but it looks like goaltending was the difference in this one.

Funny how with no pressure both Pavs and Hutch are now coming up big!:shakehead

Says a lot about the character and mental makeup of the two and why neither should ever be a starting netminder!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It's been fairly obvious that the Jets are moving from a "heavy" team to a "fast" team, while still wanting aggressiveness. Maurice has said on several occasions that Perreault plays the way he wants his forwards to play, though he isn't a big guy. Their drafts and trades have been to bring in faster and more skilled players. The Tanev signing shows that they value speed and aggressiveness, but don't feel that they need huge players to succeed. I could see players like Lowry, Copp, Armia and Lemieux being the type of big forwards that they are looking for, rather than Thorbs and Peluso.

Love the idea the Jets are going fast and skilled, we'll see how fast and skilled translates in this years playoffs where the NHL abandons the rule book!;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Funny how with no pressure both Pavs and Hutch are now coming up big!:shakehead

Says a lot about the character and mental makeup of the two and why neither should ever be a starting netminder!

Beyond Pavs' lack of consistency and poor goaltending style, I just can't stand his attitude. He's always blaming others and feeling sorry for himself. Buying him out would probably not be that smart strategically (because it would put cap hit into the following season), but I really want him out of the locker room and off the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Love the idea the Jets are going fast and skilled, we'll see how fast and skilled translates in this years playoffs where the NHL abandons the rule book!;)

I think I would add "aggressive" to the fast and skilled approach; at least that's how Maurice wants them to play.

The Jets still have plenty of cheaters for the playoffs. They'll just do it faster than other teams. Most good teams are going in this direction.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Seems to have worked fairly well for the Blackhawks for the last few SC's. ;)

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Another solid team game. I liked what I saw from Tanev. Hutch was strong. Nice to see Wheels and Scheifele accrue more points. Dano get's to the greasy areas. Good times!

your post is actually quite great when i read it in my head with the voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Triumph.jpg

:laugh: :handclap:
The consternation over events out of anyone's control is quite amusing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup I was pretty impressed with what I saw. Great skater, a lot of tenacity. He was generally in the right position and his poise with the puck noticeably improved as the game went on. It will be interesting to see how he keeps developing but given what host brother was able to do in similar circumstances I definitely don't rule him carving out a role for himself here. He has tools that fit our system.

I enjoyed that game, we played a strong all around game and we where full merits for the victory.

It doesn't seem to mayter who the opposition throws at ESW, they still look dangerous.

Trouba has been excellent as has Buff. I'm happy for Hutch.

Chariot has looked much better, but once again how much of that is due to Buff. I'm still really leary of him as he was downright poor most of the year and has had very little success away from Buff over the last two years. He by no means is penciled into my starting lineup next year.

Certainly Buff is a factor but so was the switch back to the left side. For a while he played with Postma and looked much better than he had on the right. I have him penciled in at #7, behind Morrissey on the left. Ahead of Stu though.

Nobody wants to mention Melchiori. He is getting the job done defensively. He uses his size well and he skates pretty well. He could push Stu to #9. :naughty:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Another solid team game. I liked what I saw from Tanev. Hutch was strong. Nice to see Wheels and Scheifele accrue more points. Dano get's to the greasy areas. Good times!

:laugh: :handclap:
The consternation over events out of anyone's control is quite amusing.

yeah...it's hilariously amusing...when people on a sports forum get worked up about stuff that's out of their control. You know, cuz there's so much about following a team that is in our control. lol...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets might still drop another place or two and end up drafting 9th overall, probably getting a meh prospect years away from contributing - Yup. Could happen. So could #1 and AM.

On the opening night of the next season the following will happen:

Pavelec will be the starter, the fans are going to get their reliable 906 goaltending and learn to like it - Do you honestly believe that [mod]? Helle is the starter unless he is injured.

Stu will be the tenured LD on the team - I sure as **** hope not. It should be Morrissey. If not Morrissey then Chiarot.

Thorbs will start opening night on the 4th line likely causing one of Petan/Dano/Armia to lose their spot - Entirely possible but the good news is he will never see another minute above the 4th line. He is a perfectly adequate 4th liner although we have several better options now.

Jets will be bottom 5 in cap spending - Jets cap hit next year will be ~ 65mil. Probably about 8th from the bottom.

PP/PK will possibly continue to be awful next season as there is very little sign of change on that side - There will be change on ST's. Whether it will be a significant improvement remains to be seen.

No decent UFAs will be added in the offseason - Ueah, so? With all the good young players we have why do we want UFA's?

Perrault will be unsigned to start the season and all us will be worried sick about an injury prone player like him getting hurt and us losing him for nothing. Gary Lawless will go on and on about how a team like the Jets can't afford to be paying "big money" for guys like Perrault. - What is this particular piece of doom and gloom based on? We haven't even heard any rumours of what he is asking yet. It certainly could go that way but why would you choose to believe that it will?

We will be fed another cycle of crap from the management, some bs about Nolan Patrick something something, and end up drafting 11th overall next season - Huh? Management hasn't fed us a word about a high pick this year. Why would they next year?

The night is dark folks and will continue to get darker - I don't see it as particularly dark at the moment and I'm pretty sure the Sun is just about to rise.

Optimism and pessimism are choices. It is not a choice between reality or rainbows and unicorns. It is just which aspects of reality you choose to focus on.

This team has a lot going for it. Right now we need Helle, we need Connor and we need another LHD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Beyond Pavs' lack of consistency and poor goaltending style, I just can't stand his attitude. He's always blaming others and feeling sorry for himself. Buying him out would probably not be that smart strategically (because it would put cap hit into the following season), but I really want him out of the locker room and off the team.

That cap hit will be only 1.3 mil. The Jets will still have plenty of cap space that year. Its nothing. A Pav buyout this year has nothing but upside. The only argument against it is that nonsense that Lawless spouted the other day about leaving ourselves without a veteran goaltender. If a goaltender is bad it doesn't matter how much experience he has. :shakehead Good Grief Gary!

That really is the sum total of arguments against the buyout. I don't expect him to be bought out but it is foolish not to.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That cap hit will be only 1.3 mil. The Jets will still have plenty of cap space that year. Its nothing. A Pav buyout this year has nothing but upside. The only argument against it is that nonsense that Lawless spouted the other day about leaving ourselves without a veteran goaltender. If a goaltender is bad it doesn't matter how much experience he has. :shakehead Good Grief Gary!

That really is the sum total of arguments against the buyout. I don't expect him to be bought out but it is foolish not to.

bad math there

Cap Hit

16/17 733K
17/17 1.533M

Cost

16/17 1.533M
17/18 1.533M

Savings

16/17 3.166M
17/18 (-1.533M)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Certainly Buff is a factor but so was the switch back to the left side. For a while he played with Postma and looked much better than he had on the right. I have him penciled in at #7, behind Morrissey on the left. Ahead of Stu though.

Nobody wants to mention Melchiori. He is getting the job done defensively. He uses his size well and he skates pretty well. He could push Stu to #9. :naughty:

I wouldn't say he's been getting the job done defensively. A CF of 46.25% while playing the most sheltered minutes on the team indicates to me that he really shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. Granted I'd probably take him over Stu at this point.

icedog77

Aug 15, 2014
postma 20/20

paul postma is an enigma....he is a beautiful skater, he handles the puck relatively well, has a nice shot and is able to get it through to the net, he jumps up into the rush and creates some pretty decent scoring opportunities and according to this boards analytics guru he should be a regular on the blueline.

So what is it that coaches find so repulsive that he gets relegated to the press box year after year? After all a talent of this level is deserving of a far better fate, no?

I believe the issue lies in his defensive zone play, the glaring mistakes that get burned into a coaches memory long after the game. case in point the minnesota wild game back in the fall where poor paul got undressed by thomas vannek, it made the sportsnet top 20 plays of the year and was played over and over. last night in overtime jacob silverberg went into the corner with paul in a puck battle, only paul really wasnt up for the fight and silverberg took the puck and proceeded (not even around) him, but through him right to the front of the net where hutch had to bail him out. I am sure other fans see this failing of his, his compete level when it comes to the physical element of the game and winning those one on one battles is seriously lacking and must be a source of great frustration for coaches who see many of the other elements that make up a very good defenceman present in paul.

i believe therein lies the underlying reason for press box paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad