Pre-Game Talk: Jets at Toronto Tuesday February 9th at 6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Looking at Tuesday as a singular honor..... to have my team even touch the same ice surface as the Toronto Maple Leafs.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: This is sarcasm on an elite level.

Notwithstanding the extensive media attention ("OMG will Nylander use his "Willy Styles" stick?" "What's the best nickname for the third line?"), this game has the potential to become a battle of biblical proportions. A couple of wounded bears having at it. GJG

:jets:jets

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well our own doom and gloom is mightily dwarfed by the consternation on the Leafs PGT after their 2nd Vancouver loss. You'd swear that they lost 7 - 1 and not us. According to them, Matthews is still very injured and needs a few games off, Marner was terrible, Rielly is the bad version of Gardiner that they thought they avoided and Thorton should be rested for the playoffs. Oh and Andersen is a sieve.

Matthews may need more time off and the rest sounds like wild over exaggerations... not unlike our own self loathing here from time to time. Maybe we have more in common then we think.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
@Howard Chuck Replacing one or two lesser D men with, Stanley/Heinola/Samberg (caveat - I've never seen Samberg, only going off others' opinions that I respect here). I know some of this is ELC/Cap management, but if we need better break outs or more physicality....

Bringing this over from the PGT.

Barring enough injuries I doubt we see both Heinola and Samberg.
Could it be to avoid ELC hassles that they are waiting until later in the season.
Then they could bring Heinola up when there are fewer games left then what he needs to trigger his first contract? I believe Playoff games don't count towards that.

Is it 9 games that he can play without it kicking in?
He's played 1 so far so maybe when there's 7 games left he gets inserted?
Total speculation on my part but a potential theory.

Seems like Chevy would need a gun put to his head to not slide that ELC.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
My thoughts vs Toronto, with the assumption that the same D corps will be iced (no real adjustments):

Some clear D support for our forwards with the first pass in the neutral would be great... when that is reduced, it becomes the Jets' achilles heel, and if Toronto successfully clogs the neutral, it will be a long night.

The Jets live and die by their D's mobility and helping the forwards through the neutral zone with speed. Chopping it up the wall or dumping it up after hitting centre will not work vs the Leaves methinks.

Similarly, extended puck chases in our defensive zone will end in tears. Please God, no freezing, and no Edler-like swim moves to stop a pass. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

Brilliant...

tenor.gif

My level of confidence for tomorrow's game has dropped from "cautiously optimistic" to "aw shit here we go again".

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think a lot of what Toronto does well (generate close-in scoring chances) will create an unfortunate synergy with what the Jets do poorly (prevent close-in scoring chances).

My fear as well.

Hopefully not another edition of Keystone Kops in the Jets end.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a very quick rant about Beaulieu... WHY?

As illustrated in the shot heat maps below, with Beaulieu on the ice the Jets yield 24% more expected goals than NHL average (5v5). When Beaulieu is not on the ice, the Jets are at around NHL average.

upload_2021-3-8_13-17-30.png

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just a very quick rant about Beaulieu... WHY?

As illustrated in the shot heat maps below, with Beaulieu on the ice the Jets yield 24% more expected goals than NHL average (5v5). When Beaulieu is not on the ice, the Jets are at around NHL average.

View attachment 404815

Thanks for this -- Beaulieu is the poster boy for analytics matching eyetest. Even his intangibles are tangible.

He should be sitting/resting, but instead we're likely to see PoMo in full-on doubledown mode, playing Beaulieu across all situations and at the worst possible time given the stretch of games we're diving into.

You don't get a Beaulieu "going" by playing him more. He's already going as he means to go on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad