GDT: Jets at PATRIOTS - The End Of The Line - CBS, TSN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Lots of good quarterbacks in NFL history have been found in the late first, 2nd round, 6th round, etc. Lots of top 10 QBs have turned out to not be that good. Everyone understands that, but there's no reason to put yourself in a worse draft spot than you need to. Not every scouting report winds up accurate. But in general you have to put yourself in position to have the best pick you can if you're not going to make the playoffs.

so how do you keep professionals fighting for jobs next year to lose on purpose?

if the patriots love a guy at 10, they can go get him. If they don’t, they didn’t think he was really the guy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The “momentum heading into the offseason” isn’t a thing. They beat a 2-14 team with a bunch of guys I pray to god aren’t on the team next year. They aren’t gonna come into the season next year feeling good about a meaningless week 17 win against a garbage team. Especially when half of them didn’t even play in the game!

Reactions: Smitty93

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I'd be mad if they chose a TE and WR without having a clear cut QB. I'd love Stafford over Jimmy G
No point having a big money qb on the roster if you're giving him Meyers, Byrd and Izzo to throw to. Usually don't think it's good value to spend a lot of money on pass catchers but getting players like Hunter Henry and Corey Davis in free agency and using your first on another receiver wouldn't be the worst plan.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The 1992 Patriots took the Dolphins to overtime in week 17. They almost upset their playoff-bound division rivals, which would've brought a lot of pride. The Dolphins won it in OT, meaning they drafted Drew Bledsoe. If they won that game and had lots of pride to beat a rival, then they would've got Rick Mirer as a result.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You're banking on 5 other NFL GMs just passing up on the top-10 talent you want then. That's asking a lot.
Again though, if they think there is a guy in this draft then you move up. Its about who you pick, like you said there's about 5 QBs in their draft, not all of them are going to work out though in all likelihood, so you need to take the right guy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
No point having a big money qb on the roster if you're giving him Meyers, Byrd and Izzo to throw to. Usually don't think it's good value to spend a lot of money on pass catchers but getting players like Hunter Henry and Corey Davis in free agency and using your first on another receiver wouldn't be the worst plan.

I think Corey Davis has belichick written all over him

High draft pedigree, not gonna break the market, track record of success against the pats

Reactions: BernieMcAvoy

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The “momentum heading into the offseason” isn’t a thing. They beat a 2-14 team with a bunch of guys I pray to god aren’t on the team next year. They aren’t gonna come into the season next year feeling good about a meaningless week 17 win against a garbage team. Especially when half of them didn’t even play in the game!

Agreed, this team will look a lot different next year..

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I think upgrading receivers is on the to do list..

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The 1992 Patriots took the Dolphins to overtime in week 17. They almost upset their playoff-bound division rivals, which would've brought a lot of pride. The Dolphins won it in OT, meaning they drafted Drew Bledsoe. If they won that game and had lots of pride to beat a rival, then they would've got Rick Mirer as a result.
You're also talking about the #1 overall pick in a draft where there was a supposed generational QB. Not the samw as the difference between the 10th and 15th pick this season.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

I wrote awhile ago I'd love this team to sign JuJu and Hunter Henry this off-season

My perfect off-season would be

FA/Trade:
Stafford
Henry
JuJu

Draft:
Waddle/Pitts
Jones

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Again though, if they think there is a guy in this draft then you move up. Its about who you pick, like you said there's about 5 QBs in their draft, not all of them are going to work out though in all likelihood, so you need to take the right guy
Moving up costs assets. For the Chiefs to go to 10 and take Mahomes, they had to deal a 3rd rounder that year and the next season's first rounder. You shouldn't just throw away assets unnecessarily if you can just, you know, lose to the Jets.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
they may end up better than 15 , correct? 15 is worst case scenario

They are stuck at 15. If the Raiders lose, we're 16.

The Pats have the strongest SOS in the entire league this year, so we'll be at the back of the cue for every 7-9 team.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Moving up costs assets. For the Chiefs to go to 10 and take Mahomes, they had to deal a 3rd rounder that year and the next season's first rounder. You shouldn't just throw away assets unnecessarily if you can just, you know, lose to the Jets.
How do you lose on purpose to the Jets though. I want to know how you would go about that as BB?

Also the Chiefs had to jump 2/3rd of the draft. The Patriots may only have to jump a few spots for their guy

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Didn’t realize they had the strongest SOS in the league..
They caught a brutal schedule with both west divisions and the Chiefs/Ravens as first place finishers. And somehow if idiot Newton didn't find a way to lose to the Broncos and Houston they actually could've snuck into the playoffs.

Next year will be better. We get the AFC and NFC South divisions plus the third place finishers.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
They are stuck at 15. If the Raiders lose, we're 16.

The Pats have the strongest SOS in the entire league this year, so we'll be at the back of the cue for every 7-9 team.

I said this earlier, but I realized that I misspoke. First tiebreaker is SOS, and Vegas is slightly ahead of them on that. I thought head-to-head record mattered, but it only does if SOS is tied. Remaining pick options are 15th if San Francisco loses, and 14th if they win.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'd go Stafford (unlikely to be available), Carr (likely available), then Jimmy.

Honestly, Jimmy's not as good as people seem to think he is. Stafford is legit but has been playing with no support in Detroit. Carr is a good NFL quarterback. Not top ten, but not bottom ten. If we make Harris the focal point of the offense, then you can trust Carr not to f*** it up.

Hard pass on Wentz. Not only too expensive, but he's damaged goods. There's a 1/100 chance that a change of scenery helps him become the #2 overall pick he was, but the other 99% of circumstances he continues as he is, oft injured and generally disappointing.

Carr has the talent, but is dumb as rocks when it comes to decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad