Pre-Game Talk: Jets at Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2006
Carolina is #1 in Shots For per GP
Carolina is #1 in Shots Against per GP

Winnipeg is #17 in Shots For per GP
Winnipeg is #29 in Shots Against per GP

So.... One of the worst teams in the NHL ( Jets ) for shots for and against is playing the team that is the best in both categories...so yes... Helly is gonna see a lot of rubber.
Impressive. Have not paid much attention to the Canes this year.

Reactions: cbcwpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Nothing to do with optimism or pessimism. What if I told you that this seasons Jets are giving up more shots against than even the "chasing the playoffs" Jets teams between 2011 and 2014? Carolina put up 43 shots against the Jets earlier in the season, 50 shots against is not a pessimistic prediction considering that and considering Carolina is playing much better.

Show me a fan who didn't want Frolik re-signed for what he ended up signing and I will show you a fan engaging in revisionist history. Convenient for you that your posting history starts in 2016 so we can't see what your actual thoughts were on Frolik in 2015 ;), my guess is you would have wanted to sign him as well.

I didn't want to sign him for that term.

They might give up a lot of shots tomorrow but the Canes throw everything at the net. I'd be interested in seeing where their shots come from.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
View attachment 196359
You don't want to see the Jets do this?:sarcasm:
One guy gets pretty close to the camera girl , sliding skates first , if he hit her with how sharp their skates are , owch . Guess that's when the fun stops , it's always funny until someone gets hurt . I think that's what all the grown ups said . :laugh:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

So.... One of the worst teams in the NHL ( Jets ) for shots for and against is playing the team that is the best in both categories...so yes... Helly is gonna see a lot of rubber.
Looking at this

We can see how skilled and talented the Jets are because they are winning games. The talent is carrying them over.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

And the Jets are much higher in actual Goals for. Carolina takes a lot of low percentage shots while the Jets take more high danger shots that are much more likely to result in goals. I'd betcha most goalies would rather see 5 softies from the wall over 1 cross crease feed.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don Cherry is not a racist POS.

He's ridiculously dinosauric and unintentionally zenophobic but he is not racist and certainly not a pos.

I'd say he's pretty harsh when it comes to Finns and Russians. The guy has never left the 60's. He's blatantly racist towards Europeans. He's very clearly homophobic, xenophobic. Despises multiculturalism, hates Francophone's and liberals with a passion. I mean if I met the guy at the bar and he spoke the way he does on air to me I'd likely think he's an asshole POS. But that's just me.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I still think back to when the Jets brass attended a stats conference in the summer and preached about shot quality over shot quantity.

To put that into perspective;

High Danger SH%
Jets - 9th
Carolina - 30th

It's all about converting on those high danger shots, but also getting a lot of them. Carolina gets a lot, but they can't seem to be able to bury those chances. HD shots doesn't delve deep enough into what kind of shots those are and what kind of traffic they are seeing with those shots though.

Reactions: cbcwpg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And the Jets are much higher in actual Goals for. Carolina takes a lot of low percentage shots while the Jets take more high danger shots that are much more likely to result in goals. I'd betcha most goalies would rather see 5 softies from the wall over 1 cross crease feed.

Carolina actually gets a tonne of High Danger shot attempts. I'm not sure how many actual high danger SA hit the net though. They have one of the worst conversion rates on high danger shots in the league though.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I'd say he's pretty harsh when it comes to Finns and Russians. The guy has never left the 60's. He's blatantly racist towards Europeans. He's very clearly homophobic, xenophobic. Despises multiculturalism, hates Francophone's and liberals with a passion. I mean if I met the guy at the bar and he spoke the way he does on air to me I'd likely think he's an ******* POS. But that's just me.

Don Cherry has been quite positive on a bunch of Finnish players, from what I remember. He was boosting up Laine after his 5-goal game.

Anyway, it's not possible for (white) Canadians to be racist against Europeans because they are the same race. At most you could call him a bit jingoistic, I suppose.

I see Cherry as a Canadian homer and patriot, and I expect him to give pro-Canada takes, but he will give credit to players from other countries when it's due. Nothing wrong with that.

To me, the guy just comes off as as funny old man, not offensive in the least. Just a guy who loves his country and wants it to remain the top country in hockey.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Friday against the Jerks ...

Can only watch one period...

Gotta get up at 3 am to prepare to go to Bucerias...

Hold the fort boys & girls...

See you Sunday on the other side...

:nod: :thumbu:

EATING-JERKY3.gif

Go Jets Go !!!

:jets

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don Cherry has been quite positive on a bunch of Finnish players, from what I remember. He was boosting up Laine after his 5-goal game.

Anyway, it's not possible for (white) Canadians to be racist against Europeans because they are the same race. At most you could call him a bit jingoistic, I suppose.

I see Cherry as a Canadian homer and patriot, and I expect him to give pro-Canada takes, but he will give credit to players from other countries when it's due. Nothing wrong with that.

To me, the guy just comes off as as funny old man, not offensive in the least. Just a guy who loves his country and wants it to remain the top country in hockey.

Culturalism (not really sure if that's a thing) is probably a bit closer to what he displays. He lumps large groups of people together in a single category. All Russians are doping, All French people are weak. Both things he's stated before. He's obviously very patriotic but patriotism is just a thing people say to mask the fact they don't like anyone or anything that is foreign to them.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
That's where Corsi is flawed. All about shots. Doesn't matter where they're from. As opposed to zonetime and quality shots which is what good teams strive for not shooting from everywhere.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Friday against the Jerks ...

Can only watch one period...

Gotta get up at 3 am to prepare to go to Bucerias...

Hold the fort boys & girls...

See you Sunday on the other side...

:nod: :thumbu:

EATING-JERKY3.gif

Go Jets Go !!!

:jets
What is bucerias?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I agree that based on the last time we played Carolina, it's pretty hard to take their shot count seriously. Even the press box isn't off limits.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Culturalism (not really sure if that's a thing) is probably a bit closer to what he displays. He lumps large groups of people together in a single category. All Russians are doping, All French people are weak. Both things he's stated before. He's obviously very patriotic but patriotism is just a thing people say to mask the fact they don't like anyone or anything that is foreign to them.

Well, there's a cloud of doubt over Russians because of the state-sponsored doping program they ran and which got exposed. It's not like those attitudes just come out of nowhere. There's a bit of a history there.

I think a lot of that is just him being old, and wanting the world to be a little bit more simple to understand. We have an easier time pondering about the complexities of the world when we still possess all of our cognitive functions. Don Cherry, I'm afraid, has lost some of his, over the years (the guy is 85 years old, after all).

I think patriotism is just about having a strong attachment to your country. And of course, a strong attachment will make you very defensive. When you truly love something, you don't want it to be over-shadowed by something else, or under-valued by the public.

It's the reason why a lot of Finns also boost Finnish players and talk them up. It's not about being "racist" or anything like that, it's just about wanting the Finnish players to be recognized. Sometimes it goes over-board, for sure, but it is understandable. It's a small country and some of these players are literally from the same towns or cities as the people posting about them. There's more sentimental attachment involved there than if it was just some guy from a million miles away.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well, there's a cloud of doubt over Russians because of the state-sponsored doping program they ran and which got exposed. It's not like those attitudes just come out of nowhere. There's a bit of a history there.

I think a lot of that is just him being old, and wanting the world to be a little bit more simple to understand. We have an easier time pondering about the complexities of the world when we still possess all of our cognitive functions. Don Cherry, I'm afraid, has lost some of his, over the years (the guy is 85 years old, after all).

I think patriotism is just about having a strong attachment to your country. And of course, a strong attachment will make you very defensive. When you truly love something, you don't want it to be over-shadowed by something else, or under-valued by the public.

It's the reason why a lot of Finns also boost Finnish players and talk them up. It's not about being "racist" or anything like that, it's just about wanting the Finnish players to be recognized. Sometimes it goes over-board, for sure, but it is understandable.

Just because it's understandable and coming from an old guy doesn't excuse it. Can't wait till I'm old and get to use the I'm old excuse every time I do or say something wrong. Societies ultimate cop-out.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
1-0 Wild in the second period at Tampa. Apparently some teams can actually defend, even against the mighty Lightning.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I love Mexico. Go every year. You live there? Or holiday?

Don't live there...

Too busy with business in Canada...

Just need a break from the cold...

Going to watch Jets games at the "The Goalie" while I am there...

So I will be watching with you guys...

GJG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad