Recalled/Assigned: Jets assign Machacek, Macenauer and Meech to STJ

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This is not directed at anyone in particular but a response to the general meme "we are getting bigger" that is thrown around way too much on the Jets board here. In my opinion it is a rather poorly thought out and shortsighted argument. If being sucessful in the NHL amounted to just "getting bigger" every team would do it (esp if you want to get bigger through marginal players as Jets have done through the waivers). Heck why not hire and throw sumo wrestlers on the ice if we just want to "get bigger". Other than Clitsome all the Jets waiver pickups were disastrous last year, can anyone honestly say that the guys they picked up from the waivers (other than Clitsome) were better than Machacek and some of other guys in St. John's? I hope to god that Jets brass doesn't have a single minded focus on "getting bigger" as some here seem to think they do.

I'll be pissed if Scheiflie gets thrown into a 4th line role. There is no reason to not start him at 2nd line RW and see how he does. If he's not good enough for a second or third line role send him back to Barrie and let him develop. No point wasting his time on the 4th line in a role not suited to him

Did you notice the size of the forwards on Stanley Cup winning King's, how about the size of the forwards on the previous Stanley Cup winning Bruins. Not only have the Jet's gotten bigger there faster, Jets are building a team that will outwork the opposition night in and night out and with that usually comes wins.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Did you notice the size of the forwards on Stanley Cup winning King's, how about the size of the forwards on the previous Stanley Cup winning Bruins. Not only have the Jet's gotten bigger there faster, Jets are building a team that will outwork the opposition night in and night out and with that usually comes wins.

I agree with this. It should also be pointed out that we didn't just go out an acquire a bunch of big plumbers, we went out and got two big guys that can skate and play very effectively in key roles. Jokinen top 2 center and very good on the pp, and Poni who plays a very good two-way game and is a strong possession player. On our roster most of our players with size are impact players and not a bunch of grinders.

Wheeler - Big and speedy first Line RW
Kane - Big, speedy and gritty First line LW

Ladd - Very good two-way gritty 2nd line LW

Antropov - Solid two-way player

Yes we brought in some toughness for the fourth line but that shouldn't discredit that most of our big players can play the game and play it at a high level. I personally really like the forward core that we are building here. If we can add one more really good gritty two-way defenseman to play with Bogosian we have the makings of a really strong roster.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Av Ht: 186.43 cm | Av Wt: 93.57 kg
Av Ht: 185.52 cm | Av Wt: 90.48 kg

Not a huge difference between Jets and Kings... 1 cm, 6lb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed. Let's all admit it, last year we were a bit on the soft side. We had a few guys sure but overall not a physical team and it showed. No one's talking "Slap Shot" but we needed to get bigger and tougher to play against. I for one like the direction Chevy is taking this team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some people are in my view placing a bit too much emphasis on the 4th line role. He has been playing on the #2 pp unit and they even had him doing some pk work earlier in the week. Regardless, you've got to think that sooner or later Noel will juggle his lines anyway. They'll also likely be planning to roll 4 lines due the short season.

I am reserving judgment on this until I see how Noel plans on using him in the first few games. If it goes as you say and he is on the pp and his minutes increase as throughout the year as he gets more comfortable then I would be ok with this.

If however he is pigeon holed on the 4th line getting 6-8 minutes a game then he really should be down in junior.

I do believe the Jets (management and coaching staff) have put a lot of thought into Scheifele's development and would have a mutually agreed to plan for him this year if he sticks. Will be interested in seeing how this plays out, I personally would like to see him beat out Wellwood full time for that 2nd line spot by game 20. It might be a bit ambitious but I think Mark has it in him.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
And the answer to this post is? WRONG!!!!!!!

Seriously. How many times have you heard old pros say the exact opposite? I can think of Tons

I can't think of any. I've heard of guys talk about enforcers and how they are used like that but never has one guy ever said that they themselves were intimidated.

I got one bro who's an under sized skill pro and one who's a pretty big **** disturber.

They say the same thing. That it's a big thing, yet they don't know of anyone who it works on.

Did Neil scare Kane from hitting Karlsson? Nope. Would he do it again? Yup. Would Neil still attack Kane if Peluso was on the ice? Yup. Would Neil run over Enstrom if Peluso was on the ice? Yup. Would he think twice? Nope.
This is the same every day everywhere. People say it because it's part of the culture that it's like that.

Less prevalent now with the instigator rule.

Depends on the player. Some won't give a s*** and others might think twice. I don't think Peluso will be in the line-up to protect Scheifele. He'll be in there against a bigger more physical team, like the Bruins or Flyers. Or I see it as a way of not having a Lucic/Miller incident, or having a slightly different line-up when the two teams meet again.

The Jets have pretty good team toughness - Buff, Stuart, Bogo, Kane, Thorbs and maybe Ladd - but you wouldn't want those guys sitting in the box for 5+ mins, you want them on the ice. Ok, Stuart can drop the flippers. ;)

Mhmm.

As Truck said earlier, the problem was more that people wouldn't get into the dirty areas.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I am reserving judgment on this until I see how Noel plans on using him in the first few games. If it goes as you say and he is on the pp and his minutes increase as throughout the year as he gets more comfortable then I would be ok with this.

If however he is pigeon holed on the 4th line getting 6-8 minutes a game then he really should be down in junior.

I do believe the Jets (management and coaching staff) have put a lot of thought into Scheifele's development and would have a mutually agreed to plan for him this year if he sticks. Will be interested in seeing how this plays out, I personally would like to see him beat out Wellwood full time for that 2nd line spot by game 20. It might be a bit ambitious but I think Mark has it in him.

A hint can perhaps be found within one of Noel's press conferences of this past week (can't recall which date exactly). He said that they need to determine whether Mark is an 8 minute per game player right now or whether he is capable of playing 16-18 minutes per game. I take that to mean that he will need to earn his ice time... which is the correct way to go about it I believe. In other words, if he looks good on the pp then he'll get more of an opportunity there, if he scores a few 5-on-5 or stands out in a good way then he'll move up the chart, etc. His spot in the lineup will need be earned, and rightly so; that was my own take on Noel's words, anyway.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I could see Mark taking some minutes from Wellwood on the second line. I personally think Kane and Joki will be able to handle more minutes than Wellwood. If he needs to rest a shift you can play Scheifele.

I think around 13 sheltered minutes is what he needs to take the next step.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I could see Mark taking some minutes from Wellwood on the second line. I personally think Kane and Joki will be able to handle more minutes than Wellwood. If he needs to rest a shift you can play Scheifele.

Sounds good and probably right on the money, Wellwood seemed to peter out by the middle of the third period. Watching Noel juggle lines in the third period affirms this.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Its going to be tough to give him sheltered minutes against Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A hint can perhaps be found within one of Noel's press conferences of this past week (can't recall which date exactly). He said that they need to determine whether Mark is an 8 minute per game player right now or whether he is capable of playing 16-18 minutes per game. I take that to mean that he will need to earn his ice time... which is the correct way to go about it I believe. In other words, if he looks good on the pp then he'll get more of an opportunity there, if he scores a few 5-on-5 or stands out in a good way then he'll move up the chart, etc. His spot in the lineup will need be earned, and rightly so; that was my own take on Noel's words, anyway.

I don't have an issue with him earning his minutes although one could say he's played well enough in camp to start higher in the lineup than he will tomorrow. My issue is that I'm not sure how much i trust Noel to recognize and reward any strong play by Mark. I am also not sure how much Mark will be able to stand out atleast 5 on 5. He isn't a natural winger and his game is a complete 180 from the crash and bang game he will be asked to play on the 4th line so I have a hard time seeing him put up a lot of points in that role. But like I said I will reserve judgement to see how the next 5 games play out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its going to be tough to give him sheltered minutes against Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington.

Neither Pitts or Wash have particularly deep forward corps, what they do have are two lines that can burn the best of players so Noel will have to keep Mark away from those lines which should be doable atleast in the case of Pitts at home. Boston is a different animal altogether though.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
Breathe in, breathe out everyone. Everyone is having a stroke with the waiver wire pickups and demotions. Machacek is not the second coming. He's a good 3/4 liner who is overpaid.

The Jets, who I love, are a .500 hockey team that overachieved last year. There are MASSIVE deficiencies on defence, inconsistent scoring and questionable goaltending. Winnipeg isn't a large market so the organization needs to overpay to keep talent in the city so recognize free agency isn't easy. The cupboards are bare in the AHL. Our only decent prospects are in junior or the NCAA and could be 2-3-4 years from making a significant difference. The waiver wire is the cheapest option to add talent and we give up nothing.

People need to relax - enjoy the game tomorrow, season 2 starts in a few hours!

Go Jets Go!

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Neither Pitts or Wash have particularly deep forward corps, what they do have are two lines that can burn the best of players so Noel will have to keep Mark away from those lines which should be doable atleast in the case of Pitts at home. Boston is a different animal altogether though.
I am actually quite comfortable with Scheifele defensively. The D pairings are scary though.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I saw it on the ticker on the bottom, unless I misread. I suspect all the hockey people are likely just sleeping. I guess we'll see tomorrow

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00