Jets are overrated

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Lowry's been bad? He plays against other top lines. As long as they're not getting scored on. Hes doing his role
It's not nearly this simple. For one thing, you don't want anyone on your roster who is an offensive black hole. Pure goals and assists are a fairly flawed metric but he currently has 15 points in 57 games after having 21 in 45 last season. This is with having a higher percentage of offensive zone starts this season. His CF% rel. and FF% rel. are WAY down this season as well. To an alarming degree. And these are metrics that take into account a player's ability to suppress shots as well as create them. His CF% rel was 1.5 last season and his FF% rel was 2.1. This season they are -6.6 and -7.0. That's truly terrible and an astonishing change. By both standard and advanced metrics, he's been bad.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Lowry was a great shutdown 3c last year. He seems to alternate between that and being a fairly nondescript 4c every other year or so. I’d rather my 3c generate a bit more offence than he does but he’s probably a 3/4 tweener at this point. He’s been pretty terrible this season.
Agreed. I don’t know if the numbers back me up, but seems like Copp has played a better version of 3C this year and should be getting similar minutes. He definitely brings more offense anyway. But that might require some line juggling from Maurice.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Agreed. I don’t know if the numbers back me up, but seems like Copp has played a better version of 3C this year and should be getting similar minutes. He definitely brings more offense anyway. But that might require some line juggling from Maurice.
Copp has been significantly better than Lowry this season both offensively and defensively. I'd still rather them both be on the fourth line but since that's not really an option at this point, he definitely deserves the better minutes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't say Winnipeg is overrated, since on paper it is an elite team. I would say Winnipeg is not playing as well as they should be, although they can easily turn it on and become a legit threat

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Blues and Blackhawks beg to differ.

Well, Blues is still almost 10 points behind the Jets despite being on a 10 game winning streak... so yeah, the Blues have sucked plenty this season, they just did it earlier. Same for Blackhawks. I should've maybe worded that better, but the point is the way central has been going, Jets could afford to be quite mediocre for 20+ game stretch and stay 1st.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
They are simply not a very good 5 on 5 team right now and secondary scoring is non existent. Ehlers is injured, Laine is in the midst of a horrendous slump. I think this team needs a big shake up at the deadline, someone like Stone would instantly solve a lot of their issues right now.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Enough talent. Too much inconsistency. Looking kinda of stagnant. Either the Jets make an addition, or at the very least, Maurice will have to bring out the line blender, soon

Zephyrr

Dec 6, 2018
BC
I think there is a reason why they haven't changed their lines much and have kept Laine with Little all season.
This is by design to keep Laine's contract year mediocre so they can sign him cheaper than most would have expected a year ago.

I think the Jets management is smart and have a bigger plan in place. I highly doubt they are worried.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Tripod

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Sure some people overrate them but having them in the group of 6-8 teams just below Tampa should be considered a reasonable rating.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Ya blame the refs smh

He wasn't blaming the refs. He was saying that when you are 7-1 (really 7-2) against in PP, you will likely lose more games than win.

and as for those penalties, they were all technically deserved, but not really indicative of discipline issues. Two were errant high sticks that caused 4PP (one of which was as losing balance after tripping up) and 1 more PP was for playing the puck after not getting out of the box yet. Not exactly penalties that should hamper the team going forward.

Take away those freak penalties and Ottawa does not score in regulation (granted then the Jets don't score 2 on the PK either :) )

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I think there is a reason why they haven't changed their lines much and have kept Laine with Little all season.
This is by design to keep Laine's contract year mediocre so they can sign him cheaper than most would have expected a year ago.

I think the Jets management is smart and have a bigger plan in place. I highly doubt they are worried.

Just my 2 cents.

What are they going to do in the playoffs though, limit their cup chances to get a better deal on a player? Even if Laine stumbles here if they let him loose in the playoffs he'd still collect. Teams overpay for playoff performance.

I don't buy it.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
They are still sitting in first place in division, with no short term prospect of challenge.

Until that happens, they are not over rated.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I would say Little at this point in his career is a big reason why their forward depth is an issue. Jets I think went into this season hoping Roslo would be a 30-40 pt 3C in a Kadri / Bonino / role. With TLC being the fourth line. Hasn’t worked.

I think little needs to play with guys more of his style
I dont know why wheeler and scheifele havebt been split yet to help carry the load for the top 2 lines

Maybe it doesnt work, but he hasn't even been attempted yet

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Are you serious? Scheifele I could understand....even though, no he's not "elite".

But Wheeler? Elite? Hell nah :laugh:

Hes top 15 in scoring and a top 5 rw. By that standard, yes he's elite

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just going through a rough stretch like every top team not named Tampa has done. Yet still first in the division.

Zephyrr

Dec 6, 2018
BC
What are they going to do in the playoffs though, limit their cup chances to get a better deal on a player? Even if Laine stumbles here if they let him loose in the playoffs he'd still collect. Teams overpay for playoff performance.

I don't buy it.

I'm sure it will change in the playoffs. Even if he has an amazing playoffs he still won't get as much as if he had lit it up this whole season + playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad