Speculation: Jets are now sellers

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There's this:

Scheifele.gif

Just throwing this out there, but based on this video, would Scheifele had gotten hurt or hurt as much potentially if he hadn't tried to avoid the hit? I'm not saying it wasn't kneeing, but sometimes trying to get out of the way hurts more than just taking the hit.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
No doubt about it- split second decision though so you can't fault Scheif on this one.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Just throwing this out there, but based on this video, would Scheifele had gotten hurt or hurt as much potentially if he hadn't tried to avoid the hit? I'm not saying it wasn't kneeing, but sometimes trying to get out of the way hurts more than just taking the hit.

Looks like he chipped the puck and was trying to go get it......no point in chipping the puck around a guy and let him take you out of the play?

rthork

May 1, 2012
Winnipeg
the video pretty clearly shows its high shin to scheif's knee. I don't expect dire results of his eval this morning. Fingers crossed of course.

#tradebuff though please...

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
If plan on fighting for the playoffs, we need 2nd line center. With 55 out, we're done. Oli can't pick up the slack.

Buff to Philly for a Center (+/-) whatever for fair value.

bazaaa*

That makes no sense.
That's like me hitting a guy in the head at work with a bat and you asking the question, would he had not gotten hurt if he didn't come to work today?

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
If plan on fighting for the playoffs, we need 2nd line center. With 55 out, we're done. Oli can't pick up the slack.

Buff to Philly for a Center (+/-) whatever for fair value.

might make sense now more than ever. Not just for this season but onwards.

It'd be nice if we could get B.Schenn + one of their wingers?

Schenn and Downie for Buff + (mid pick or meh prospect)?

Downie could fill the spot that Seto vacates (if he does) and Schenn would give us a solid #2 C option while Scheifele is out and and gives us 3 good centers for next year

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
What are peoples thoughts on ROR in Colorado? Buff for ROR, or no good?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Worries me a bit. Rather have Statsny though that may not be doable. Both are UFA at end of season are they not?

ROR good, but I think he's not as good as what he needs to be paid, if I remember last year's signing and rules around it. I think it would make him the highest paid Jet. If we're going to bring in someone to be our highest paid player, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it being ROR.

Don't see us being good trade partners given we're in the same division though.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Worries me a bit. Rather have Statsny though that may not be doable. Both are UFA at end of season are they not?

ROR good, but I think he's not as good as what he needs to be paid, if I remember last year's signing and rules around it. I think it would make him the highest paid Jet. If we're going to bring in someone to be our highest paid player, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it being ROR.

Don't see us being good trade partners given we're in the same division though.

ROR is a RFA making $5M right now. Stastny is a UFA and $6.6M.

Same division is probably a killer though, true. No idea if Colorado needs a Buff or not either.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I'd do it in a second. Sounds like Roy likes ROR though, and if Stastny moves, I can't see any way ROR goes.

I think the Avs also value a LHD over a RHD.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
ROR is a RFA making $5M right now. Stastny is a UFA and $6.6M.

Same division is probably a killer though, true. No idea if Colorado needs a Buff or not either.

His cap hit is 5mil. He actually is making 6.5mil this year and he is going to make a minimum 6.5 next year with a qualifying offer. It's going to be a big struggle to sign him long term. I personally do not think he is worth 6.5 mil at this juncture of his career.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
His cap hit is 5mil. He actually is making 6.5mil this year and he is going to make a minimum 6.5 next year with a qualifying offer. It's going to be a big struggle to sign him long term. I personally do not think he is worth 6.5 mil at this juncture of his career.

That is not 100% true. There are ways to get him under contract below 6.5 million a year.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
That is not 100% true. There are ways to get him under contract below 6.5 million a year.

Ya, if he signs a new contract after this year. But why would he, if he is guaranteed to get 6.5 next year cause at the minimum they have to qualify him to keep him or else he goes UFA I believe.

Of course you could trade him but then the next team is in the same situation

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Here's a different perspective- because Scheifs injury turns out to be long term the Jets are even more inclined to be a buyer.

I would agree with this. They may either try and find a center or hope that Jokinen and ODell can pick up the slack. Our injury situation is probably just on par with most other teams, its not the end of the world..........especially considering the dropoff in his play.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I would agree with this. They may either try and find a center or hope that Jokinen and ODell can pick up the slack. Our injury situation is probably just on par with most other teams, its not the end of the world..........especially considering the dropoff in his play.

The difference between us and alot of other teams is we still have 0 depth at most positions. That will change in about 2years. but for now. I would disagree.

Look at when Kane went down. You put Thorburn in his place. That should say it all.

I do agree that its going to be Joker and O'dell most likely going forward.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
With Bambi out time to sell Seto and sit on our hands....We can't move Joker now and and if Stu hasn't given yus number we like to re sign move him also

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Ya, if he signs a new contract after this year. But why would he, if he is guaranteed to get 6.5 next year cause at the minimum they have to qualify him to keep him or else he goes UFA I believe.

Of course you could trade him but then the next team is in the same situation

I believe there is that (he signs a long term deal at a price other than 6.5), but there is also team elected arbitration as well I believe. At least that's what Avs fans have been saying.

Does he really go to UFA after a QO though? That doesn't seem right due to his age and years IMO.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe there is that (he signs a long term deal at a price other than 6.5), but there is also team elected arbitration as well I believe. At least that's what Avs fans have been saying.

Does he really go to UFA after a QO though? That doesn't seem right due to his age and years IMO.

Ya your right. he could go to arb but at the minimum he will get 85% of current salary so thats like 5.5 mil at the minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00