Speculation: Jets are now sellers

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
If Scheifele's injury is long term which I think it will be the jets have no one to replace him and they won't sell the farm on trade deadline day to replace him.The only way I see us getting a replacement is a cap dump for the rest of the year like a Derek Roy type of player.Its amazing how important one 20 yr old is to our team and it shows us how badly we need depth.Kane and Buff should be traded they are the quickest way of fast tracking that issue.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Added 'Speculation' to the thread title. Hopefully Scheifele's injury isn't too serious - we'll find out today, I'm assuming.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
You invalidated everything you said by the end of your paragraph. I agree that if the injury is long term, the Jets have suddenly become sellers. However, Kane is part of the long-term here. I think Chevy won't deviate from his proposed trading plans, and will more or less stay the course.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At this point there is no evidence Sheifele is hurt long term. We will find out more later today. An argument can be made to trade Buff it if it is a true hockey trade and we got value back. Trading a 22 year old Kane with 4 more years on a good contract is not selling it is dismantling/destroying an up and coming young team.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm a huge Sheifele fan (how can you not be?), but I wouldn't shift gears to "seller" even if this was a long-term injury. He was hot pre-Olympics. But you never know who else might pick up the slack. Look at Ladd's 2 goals yesterday. Maybe Kane will get hot.

I think the Jets are built to withstand injury, given the distribution of goal scoring on the team. Although some more depth would make things even better.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm a huge Sheifele fan (how can you not be?), but I wouldn't shift gears to "seller" even if this was a long-term injury. He was hot pre-Olympics. But you never know who else might pick up the slack. Look at Ladd's 2 goals yesterday.

I think the Jets are built to withstand injury, given the distribution of goal scoring on the team. Although some more depth would make things even better.

If he's out for longer than 2-3 weeks, I doubt we can compensate it with Jokinen on the 2nd line for the last 20 games.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Here's a different perspective- because Scheifs injury turns out to be long term the Jets are even more inclined to be a buyer.

Grumpz

Dec 13, 2010
I'd say our position doesn't change, we handled Kane's injuries without a blip.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
If Chefs is out long term it will be a character builder for us. I doubt that it will change Chevy's plan even an iota. PM, on the other hand will have his work cut out for him. As the Chinese curse goes: "May you live in interesting times"

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I would say our position doesn't change. This group has worked hard to get to where they are, they deserve any possible help they can get headed forward. I don't think Chevy pulls the rug out because Scheifele may miss some time. We were without Kane for a long enough time and endured it just fine. Granted, Scheifele plays a very key role down the middle.

I think, if anything, this puts even just a little bit more pressure on Chevy to make a trade, perhaps with SJ to acquire Kennedy and Sheppard. With Jokinen being the player to move up to cover Scheifele's role, we're already lacking in the bottom six, how convenient would it be to add two legitimate bottom six players, and two who are better than the majority of our bottom six right now.

Lastly, Setoguchi is a UFA at seasons end and he will not be returning, therefore regardless of Scheifele being injured or not, he was/is likely getting traded.

I don't see the Scheifele injury as a roadblock. Business as usual, in my opinion.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Kane is not getting traded. The return Chevy is going to ask for with any request for Kane is going to be higher than anything anyone is going to be willing to agree on.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Good post Guerzy: flip Seto, and bolster our bottom six now, and in the future. Have to start creating more competition in the bottom six, and need more contribution from them anyway (particularly the 4th line)

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
is the fact that Scheifele seemed to get up and walk down the tunnel pretty good a good sign that it's not that bad? I really have no idea.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
is the fact that Scheifele seemed to get up and walk down the tunnel pretty good a good sign that it's not that bad? I really have no idea.

If you hyper-extend your knee, you can walk on it, albeit with a limp immediately afterwards. See what happens to it the next day when it swells up. :)

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
MRI is really the only way to tell what the damage if any is to the knee. Putting weight on it -as in skating off and walking to dressing room is a positive though. Sad part is you can have a season ending injury and still do this. Like everyone else here- fingers crossed for bright eyes.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Another key reason why I don't believe Scheifele's injury will have a big effect on what Cheveldayoff does, is it is pretty well guaranteed that we aren't making trades here for rentals, we will make trades for players we can have both the remainder of this season and next and potentially beyond.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Another key reason why I don't believe Scheifele's injury will have a big effect on what Cheveldayoff does, is it is pretty well guaranteed that we aren't making trades here for rentals, we will make trades for players we can have both the remainder of this season and next and potentially beyond.

This. I am very interested in acquiring some real depth at forward. Our bottom 6 is so malnourished that Sally Struthers is making a TV ad for it right now.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone have a video showing the hit?

There's this:

Scheifele.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad