Salary Cap: Jets approaching cap issues.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No this is what you said.

You didn't specify which season and there were no 19/20 numbers at all posted at that point.

I mean at some point Buff's contract will expire so as long as Trouba is signed for more than 3 years it's inevitable.

My prediction is Buff is still on the roster when the NHL locks out the players in sept 2020.

And then I clarified what I meant a few posts later. If you can't keep up with the conservation it isn't my job to hold your hand through it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Again in a perfect world we could bridge everyone and be happy but even if we do that and see success those guys will be looking for raises in short order. Lock up your core long term. Keep depth guys on low term/low money deals and keep bringing in players on ELC's. It's unrealistic to think the cap will go up by the max in each of the next two off seasons. You don't think the Jets have planned for this? It's pretty obvious in the modified contracts they gave Buff and Little. Sure it's unlikely all of our guys make the team outright but you plan for it regardless.

Your philosophy is not the only way things can play out, there are many other ways things can happen and in no way does a modified NTC mean the Jets intend to trade those players. It's far from a certainty. It only means that is is possible. I don't see how you make the leap to that conclusion.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I mean, they did lock up their core long term, it's just that their core includes Byfuglien....
Why does your "core" (from your 19-20 chart) need five >55-point wingers on full value contracts?
Why does your "core" need a five-million 29.5-year-old Myers?
Again, we will have to say goodbye to a good player at some point.

But you wrote this:

and "we need to move Buff" is just BS. There are a lot of other options (some of which I listed), and he won't be the only old player on the team. Wheeler, Little, Myers, Perreault, they all could decline, they all could get health problems. Remember the poll back in 2015, who should the team walk away from if they can only keep one between Ladd and Buff? Think it was 70% or 75% percent for keeping Ladd. At the 2016 deadline, most around here were happy to move Ladd who played like a glorified checking line forward after his surgery. Things change.

I just think keeping the current forward core togther > Buff. you are entitled to having a different opinion on the matter.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
And then I clarified what I meant a few posts later. If you can't keep up with the conservation it isn't my job to hold your hand through it.

No need to talk down to me. Extremely unnecessary

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Your philosophy is not the only way things can play out, there are many other ways things can happen and in no way does a modified NTC mean the Jets intend to trade those players. It's far from a certainty. It only means that is is possible. I don't see how you make the leap to that concision.

It very well may not be. For all we know we make a dozen trades over the course of that time. It's speculation. You are taking it waaaaaaaayyy to seriously.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No need to talk down to me. Extremely unnecessary

I'm just saying follow the conversation instead of picking a post I made well before other posts and trying to pick it apart when I have already explained my position.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Josh needs to be locked up long term asap one of our top priorities
I agree. I think he is more important than most of our 55 point plus forwards. Not all, you need balance, but, you don't need all Connor/Roslo/Laine/Wheeler/Perrault if it is a toss-up.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree. I think he is more important than most of our 55 point plus forwards. Not all, you need balance, but, you don't need all Connor/Roslo/Laine/Wheeler/Perrault if it is a toss-up.

It won't be if we free up cap. We could easily keep all of those guys. Which makes us a serious contender.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It very well may not be. For all we know we make a dozen trades over the course of that time. It's speculation. You are taking it waaaaaaaayyy to seriously.

I was voicing an opinion against the Buff Trouba connection you asserted because I think it was incorrect. That is all. Even you have backed away from your original comment

I think you are the one taking it too seriously. I mean even used a feeble to attempt an insult me.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was voicing an opinion against the Buff Trouba connection you asserted because I think it was incorrect. That is all. Even you have backed away from your original comment

I think you are the one taking it too seriously. I mean even used a feeble to attempt an insult me.

How have I backed away from it? I said signing Trouba long term means we need to move Buff if we want to keep our forward core in tact. I still stand by that comment. I never insulted you directly I said I shouldn't have to hold your hand through the conversation. and I shouldn't.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It won't be if we free up cap. We could easily keep all of those guys. Which makes us a serious contender.

IMO Mason should be gone this summer to save cap. Buff will be less likely and harder to trade. Mason should be gone, promote Comrie or Hutch as backup.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
IMO Mason should be gone this summer to save cap. Buff will be less likely and harder to trade. Mason should be gone, promote Comrie or Hutch as backup.

Yeah Helle's next contract is an interesting one. All star appearance, likely to garner some Vezina votes. He could be making more than Mason even. It will be almost impossible for us to trade Mason if he has any sort of injury issues.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah Helle's next contract is an interesting one. All star appearance, likely to garner some Vezina votes. He could be making more than Mason even. It will be almost impossible for us to trade Mason if he has any sort of injury issues.

Yup, it might cost us to trade Mason away.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
How have I backed away from it? I said signing Trouba long term means we need to move Buff if we want to keep our forward core in tact. I still stand by that comment. I never insulted you directly I said I shouldn't have to hold your hand through the conversation. and I shouldn't.

I don't want my hand held. And your comment is insulting my intelligence and not necassry.

But back to topic I can see Buff being traded someday but it is not tied in any way to Trouba signing a contract. That is what you implied.

I expect both on the roster next season which is what this thread was discussing at the time I joined this discussion. It has evolved quite a bit since then.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm just saying follow the conversation instead of picking a post I made well before other posts and trying to pick it apart when I have already explained my position.

And I'm suggesting you can try to treat all posters with a little more respect and courtesy

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't want my hand held. And your comment is insulting my intelligence and not necassry.

But back to topic I can see Buff being traded someday but it is not tied in any way to Trouba signing a contract. That is what you implied.

I expect both on the roster next season which is what this thread was discussing at the time I joined this discussion. It has evolved quite a bit since then.

Fair enough. All I'm saying is we are good for next year it's after that where we have to make a tough decision. Heck we could even bring in another guy next year at $4-6 mil and be good for that year. But after that things get very dicey. I'm just stating what I would do in the situation. For Buff to stay it means we are dealing away good depth, which is crucial in the playoffs. I'm just stating what I would do as GM but I'm a terrible negotiator so I'm not entirely sure what kind of contracts we are looking at for our young rising stars but I want to keep them all and if moving Buff accomplishes that and it definitely would then I'm all for it.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It just gets old explaining yourself multiple times when the explanation has already been made.

Did you explain yourself.? When do you expect the Jets to trade Buff? I don't recall

But still no reason for the insult

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Did you explain yourself.? When do you expect the Jets to trade Buff? I don't recall

But still no reason for the insult

I did. I said the offseason between the 2018/19 and 19/20 seasons. If I need to clarify any more it should probably be after the 2019 playoffs and before the start of the 2019/2020 season. It's going to be tough to move him but it's in our best interests.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think Buff Trouba and Myers will all be on the same D core after the 2018-19 season. I have no idea how it shakes out though.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I never said immediately. And I posted a likely cap chart for 19/20.

You sure did:

MoJo - Trouba
Kuli - Myers
Niku - Poolman

Is what I would want. Saves us about $13.35 mil next year with Toby and Buff gone. Plenty of room to resign Helle and all the depth and leaves money long term for Laine's signing.

I actually followed the conversation.

Reactions: Aavco Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad