Salary Cap: Jets approaching cap issues.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
But all that isn't necessary. The player gets his money and the team gets cap relief under the current CBA rules. Why go looking for exotic solutions when there isn't a problem for either the player or the team? There are dozens of players out there getting paid and not playing due to long term injuries and none of them are retiring before their contracts expire. You might see the odd situation where a Russian player wants to go back to the KHL, but that doesn't really apply to Mason.
Because I find it fun to find other work arounds when someone says that something isn't doable.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Because I find it fun to find other work arounds when someone says that something isn't doable.
Fair enough, but the league and NHLPA has already addressed the issue with rules around LTIR so that players get paid out their guaranteed contracts and teams can use the cap space to remain competitive.

Reactions: adammlis

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm hoping we run into a boat load of cap issues after a cup or two. Wouldn't want it any other way.
Agreed, but here is the real advantage of signing as many as these young guys to team friendly deals as soon as you can and not just push the can down the road with bridge deals. The more long term cost certainty the better.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Comrie would have to show a lot more before you can feel comfortable with him as a back up. I think Mason will get the opportunity yet and we will be very happy we have him to pick up some of the load. I wouldn't be rushing him out the door quite yet.

Maybe, maybe not. Generally one can get a decent backup for a lot less then 5 million though......either internally or externally

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Fair enough, but the league and NHLPA has already addressed the issue with rules around LTIR so that players get paid out their guaranteed contracts and teams can use the cap space to remain competitive.

It doesn't work like that exactly. The players cap hit remain on the books. Teams are only granted cap relief (ability to exceed the ceiling) not extra cap space

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm hoping we run into a boat load of cap issues after a cup or two. Wouldn't want it any other way.
Right because a Stanley cup champion in a trade gets you a lot of other young guys who can be just as talented. Everyone wants a winner!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe, maybe not. Generally one can get a decent backup for a lot less then 5 million though......either internally or externally
Not saying you don't go out looking for a backup if needed, I just don't see Comrie being that player unless we see a full season of him reaching a whole other level.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It doesn't work like that exactly. The players cap hit remain on the books. Teams are only granted cap relief (ability to exceed the ceiling) not extra cap space
I realize that but since we have just had 7 pages discussing are pending cap pressures I took it as a given we would be in a LTIR situation.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, but here is the real advantage of signing as many as these young guys to team friendly deals as soon as you can and not just push the can down the road with bridge deals. The more long term cost certainty the better.

I agree. Bridge deals can run you into some trouble if they take some serious steps forward. I look at a team like Nashville that was able to lock up Josi, Ekholm and Ellis on very team friendly deals before they took their next steps forward and it allows them to be very flexible against the cap.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I realize that but since we have just had 7 pages discussing are pending cap pressures I took it as a given we would be in a LTIR situation.

The distinction means that a team can't get cap relief for ELC bonuses and does not bank cap space during the season to be used at the TD. Relief can only be used to replace the injured player(s) on the roster

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The distinction means that a team can't get cap relief for ELC bonuses and does not bank cap space during the season to be used at the TD. Relief can only be used to replace the injured player(s) on the roster
Which would apply to Mason if he was unable to return to action next season following his concussion. Which was the starting point of the discussion.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Which would apply to Mason if he was unable to return to action next season following his concussion. Which was the starting point of the discussion.

I know but if we are using LTIR then Laine & others ELC bonuses could create a bonus overage penalty for the following season. LTIR is not all it's cracked up to be.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know but if we are using LTIR then Laine & others ELC bonuses could create a bonus overage penalty for the following season. LTIR is not all it's cracked up to be.

Its ok if you have a team of veteran players and you want to bring someone else in. But you are correct in that it wont be great for us. How is it working for Toronto with all of their LTIR players?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Its ok if you have a team of veteran players and you want to bring someone else in. But you are correct in that it wont be great for us. How is it working for Toronto with all of their LTIR players?

They also had over $5M in bonus overage penalty because of it and could reach a similar number this year. I wouldn't advocate using this as a strategy. It can bite back.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I think best bet is we trade Mason and keep Hutch/Comrie as a backup or let him walk when his contract is up. If we trade him we gain an asset if he walks he was an FA signing so it doesn't hurt to much if at all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I think best bet is we trade Mason and keep Hutch/Comrie as a backup or let him walk when his contract is up. If we trade him we gain an asset if he walks he was an FA signing so it doesn't hurt to much if at all.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Mason this summer. I don't see them trusting Hutch though, I think the org is done with him and I think he would likely want to move on as well. I am curious who would be available this off season as a backup.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It will be interesting to see what they do with Mason this summer. I don't see them trusting Hutch though, I think the org is done with him and I think he would likely want to move on as well. I am curious who would be available this off season as a backup.

Here the list of pending UFA's

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Bernier is putting together a decent season but other then that Mason might be as good of a pick as any of them.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not saying you don't go out looking for a backup if needed, I just don't see Comrie being that player unless we see a full season of him reaching a whole other level.

Agreed but then again look at what Helle achieved during one summer

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah people are starting to impose their Buff biases here. All I'm saying is that it is extremely extremely unlikely he is about to be traded IMO. I'm not even talking about my own opinion. It's how I read what the team will or won't do.

And we don't need to THIS off season. We are lined up to keep everyone. Except likely Matthias. And we have to make some decisions about Petan, Dano and Tanev. But outside of that we can keep Buff for now. It's the off season after that where things get very tight and having Buff's 7.5 mil, to retain what in my opinion is far more crucial talent for our roster, will be beneficial. Regardless of if the org wants to keep Buff or not they will need to make a very tough decision leading up to the 19/20 season.

True we don't need to do anything drastic this off-season. I think some decisions need to be made though.

If it is going to be Myers who moves then this off-season is really the last chance to get something for him. He won't be moved at next season's TD because we will be in the PO race again. At the end of next season he is a UFA.

Reactions: Hunter368

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I think we can get Enstrom on the cheap next year but after that he is likely allowed to walk and probably returns to Sweden. I see more of a Myers in Stanley than a Chara. I seriously doubt if he ever becomes much of a defensive force, his skill set is more suited for generating offence.

Even at 3.5, I don't think we can afford Toby, at least not unless someone else has been moved or Morrissey is bridged. I wouldn't be willing to bridge Morrissey in order to get one more mediocre year out of Enstrom.

I see Enstrom out and Niku in for a lot less money. Chiarot is still around for 1 more year as #7. If we pick up a better #7 LD he can be waived.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Even at 3.5, I don't think we can afford Toby, at least not unless someone else has been moved or Morrissey is bridged. I wouldn't be willing to bridge Morrissey in order to get one more mediocre year out of Enstrom.

I see Enstrom out and Niku in for a lot less money. Chiarot is still around for 1 more year as #7. If we pick up a better #7 LD he can be waived.

Yeah I like Niku as well. Skates better then Enstrom but is more of an offensive threat. Could work well with Poolman if he takes another step forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad