Post-Game Talk: Jets and the Not so Special Teams - Now Playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Uh, no. Maybe on the Jets, but not on a playoff team. Dump all you want on Georgetown, but Ladd does benefit from playing with Little and Wheeler most of his career. He's good around the net with tips and has a decent shot... but he's not an impact player. Even though he hasn't taken alot of penalties himself this year, he has not managed to stop his teammates from taking stupid penalties. This is the captain's job and he's failed miserably.

Classic case of "what have you done for me lately". Not saying he can't or doesn't need to be better at all though.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeh this whole "making things up" crap is getting old. Too much seeing what you wanna see and skewing reality to fit a narrative. Way too little objectivity when we lose around here.

Objectivity = Passion
Good back and forths
This team could be really good if we could stay out of the damned penalty box

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Objectivity = Passion
Good back and forths
This team could be really good if we could stay out of the damned penalty box

What? How is that? Passion a lot of times leads to bias, not being objective.

The good back and forth is somewhere in among all the crap posts because people wanna talk with their heart and not their head. You have to step back for a minute and take the passion and emotion out so one can think clearly.

Hhane Snidy

Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yes Ladd contributes to scoring, however I think if you put Petan/Ehlers/Burmi, etc on the Little/Wheeler line they would be just as effective if not more. Let's see how he does on the third line.

I really hope Chevy trades him at the deadline. He's checked out at a critical time where he should be stepping up to prove to everyone that he deserves the big payday.

If Chve keeps Ladd I'll bet Maurice will continue to play him on the top line and we will be kevetching about his boneheaded penalties 3 years from now. Remember PoMo's knock from Carolina was that he sticks with certain players while they lead him off the cliff.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I offered no opinion regarding the topic at all, but rather pointed out that you were essentially claiming to represent a majority opinion - one that in reality you are unable to define. Hope that helps.

Well why don't you asks the majority here what they want oh yeah that's right you said:Unless you've done a survey that extends far beyond the tiny echo chamber that is HFJets. Deferring to an imagined majority opinion is a weak rhetorical crutch.

I prefer Statistics and Polls over meager and useless surveys as you have so suggested.

Rather than ask every voter to state his or her preference in candidates, polling research companies poll a relatively small number of people who their favorite candidate is.

The members of the statistical sample help to determine the preferences of the entire population.

So.......than Wheeler should be our Captain then, and if you cant see that who then has the weak rhetorical crutch issues?

Cheers

Derfel*

I prefer Statistics and Polls over meager and useless surveys as you have so suggested.

Like the fact that Ladd isn't actually leading the team in penalty minutes, and actually hasn't been penalized nearly as much as you had claimed earlier?

Or maybe that he's still one of our top point-getters, even in a "slow" season for him?

Numbers.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Well why don't you asks the majority here what they want oh yeah that's right you said:Unless you've done a survey that extends far beyond the tiny echo chamber that is HFJets. Deferring to an imagined majority opinion is a weak rhetorical crutch.

Rather than ask every voter to state his or her preference in candidates, polling research companies poll a relatively small number of people who their favorite candidate is.

The members of the statistical sample help to determine the preferences of the entire population.

So.......than Wheeler should be our Captain then, and if you cant see that who then has the weak rhetorical crutch issues?

Cheers

Bizarre response. I suggested you claimed to represent the opinions of "most jets fans" - when you are essentially unable to make that claim. That is all I said.

You've now replied with that you "prefer Statistics and Polls over meager and useless surveys as you have so suggested." FYI, a poll is a survey of opinion, they are the same thing. It is difficult to carry on a conversation with someone that replies with something that makes little sense, so I'll just end our conversation on that note. Have a nice evening.

EDIT: If you were to poll (or survey) the posters here how they felt, all you would have is a representation of the opinions of the few that post on this board. For all we know, many posting here are not really solely just (or are even) fans of the Jets, and it also discounts the likely possibility that some respondents have multiple accounts. You wouldn't have a representation of how most Jets fans feel about any topic, but rather would have the result of how a few message board posters felt like replying.

Last edited:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Like the fact that Ladd isn't actually leading the team in penalty minutes, and actually hasn't been penalized nearly as much as you had claimed earlier?

Or maybe that he's still one of our top point-getters, even in a "slow" season for him?

Numbers.

Yes Ladd contributes to scoring, however I think if you put Petan/Ehlers/Burmi, etc on the Little/Wheeler line they would be just as effective if not more. Let's see how he does on the third line.

Hhane Snidy understands and so do I what do the rest of you think?

Derfel*

Hhane Snidy understands and so do I what do the rest of you think?

Petan? Huh?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Petan? Huh?

Yeah I doubt any of those players are currently as effective a player as Ladd is. Burmi likely never will be. Ehlers perhaps might be in a few years and someday Petan might actually be good enough to play in the NHL.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
EDIT: If you were to poll (or survey) the posters here how they felt, all you would have is a representation of the opinions of the few that post on this board. For all we know, many posting here are not really solely just (or are even) fans of the Jets, and it also discounts the likely possibility that some respondents have multiple accounts. You wouldn't have a representation of how most Jets fans feel about any topic, but rather would have the result of how a few message board posters felt like replying.[/QUOTE]

So you are more or less are telling us all that we are all wasting our time here then if nothing said can be assumed true? And you participate here for what reason exactly then?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
So you are more or less are telling us all that we are all wasting our time here then if nothing said can be assumed true? And you participate here for what reason exactly then?

I certainly don't post here in an effort to present my own opinions as being representative of those of others, though your own mileage apparently varies.

Have a nice evening.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Go Jets Go, we agree on that dont we?

Hopefully one day sooner than later we have a team with the talent and character to make the playoffs and go far towards good old Lord Stanley then!

Cheers!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think there is any doubt if we were picking a captain if Ladd is traded it should be Wheeler.

Derfel*

All you do is pump up Pavelec's tires, and be critical of Hutch last year, and now Hellebuyck this year. You do realize even the best goalies have mediocre games?

I didn't pump any tires. I said Pavelec would post higher than average sv percentage, and he did.

That comment wasn't all on Hellebuyck, though.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
I still don't understand why the specials teams and special team coaches haven't changed. It's not only this year. The Jets, since their return, have had a top ten special team ONCE, with either the power play and penalty kill. It was in 2013-2014, when the Jets had the 10th ranked penalty kill. And this year it's down right putrid and they keep sending out the same units with the same setup over and over again. And surprise, last night we get special teamed again. It's cost us multiple, multiple games this year and I don't know why it remains the same. On top of that we extended some special teams coaches last year. Why?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I don't think there is any doubt if we were picking a captain if Ladd is traded it should be Wheeler.

This goes without saying he is a guy that gives 100% may not be the most graceful stick handler and shooting is sometimes erratic, but i can't think of a better candidate.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I didn't pump any tires. I said Pavelec would post higher than average sv percentage, and he did.

That comment wasn't all on Hellebuyck, though.

Just as an aside, unless you are claiming the ability to psychically read the future, predicting an outlier is basically meaningless. That prediction wasn't based on evidence was it, it was just a guess that turned out to be right. Taken as a whole Pavelec's career is below average so what does it say about the player?

Derfel*

Just as an aside, unless you are claiming the ability to psychically read the future, predicting an outlier is basically meaningless. That prediction wasn't based on evidence was it, it was just a guess that turned out to be right. Taken as a whole Pavelec's career is below average so what does it say about the player?

As I've said elsewhere, believe what you need to believe. I was alone in my belief, and I was right. I *knew* he would do better than average, and he did.

That had little to do with his ability beforehand, or his performance afterwards. It does not affect my judgment this season, as I have no similar knowledge of performance.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
As I've said elsewhere, believe what you need to believe. I was alone in my belief, and I was right. I *knew* he would do better than average, and he did.

That had little to do with his ability beforehand, or his performance afterwards. It does not affect my judgment this season, as I have no similar knowledge of performance.

Guessing and getting lucky isn't knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad