Post-Game Talk: Jets 7 - Avs 0, b2b Bagels

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Rewatched the highlights before diving into work today...
- 1st goal - really nice positioning/anticipation by Ehlers and then Monahan really reads Ehlers next move
- 2nd - heard this story before - goalie can't tell if its Connor shooting, pass to Vilardi or Monahan charging in for deflection - can't ask for more
3rd - Georgiev not set but Bones wants his D to shoot and they are shooting
4th - both Gus and Lowry right in the slot - Avs playing man-D and Winnipeg is losing their man at will
5th - we would be lighting up our forwards for lazy back check and not covering for their D if this one was against us
6th - Ehlers again playing hard on the boards - smart safe play - Monahan in beast mode
7th - Gus hard work on the boards - just playing the system and providing puck support - pays off

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Clearly AAA hockey experience doesn't mean I know shit about hockey. My past takes on our D are trash. I take back my impressions and thoughts of the Jets and their softness. They have bought in and are well coached, even the pp had movement and urgency, haha. Not sure how far we are going in these playoffs, but if that's the effort, I'm on board win or loose. The Monohan and Tafolli pickups will show huge dividends and are what this team needed to spark some offense. Our depth is our strong point. Thank you Chevy. And thank you 55 and 37 for believing in this organiation. Imagine where we would be without those signings.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
7-11 That's Hockey on TSN the day before this Jets-Avs game.

"Is there a worse matchup for the Winnipeg Jets than the Colorado Avalanche?"

Brian Hayes.
"Probably not. This is the most explosive offense in hockey and they're rapidly faster than the Winnipeg Jets. If this turns into a race, Winnipeg might easily lose in five, maybe even get swept. They can't keep up with McKinnon, Makar, Rantanen."

Lol.. Jets outscored Avs 17-4 this year.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Avs look like a bit of a paper tiger, they chalk up reg season points but can’t win tough games and not good defensively (reminds me of the leafs). IIRC the Jets beat them every game this year (3 wins). See if they can man up in the playoffs or not. Much sooner play the Avs than Dallas.

Always a dangerous kind of thing to say - but yes.
There is a reason Stars are finishing ahead of both us and Avs. They are a more complete team than Avs. They are a better team than Jets when Jets don't play as a 5/6 man unit. It remains to be seen if they are better than the Jets when the Jets DO play like they did in the first half season and these last couple of games.

We had 6&5 game losing streaks after getting away from playing the right way. 11 games. If we had won only 3 of those 11 we would be in 1st by 1 with 2 games remaining to Stars 1, tied with NYR for the Presidents Trophy with a game in hand. Not saying this as fanboy 'if only'. Just pointing out how close it is at the top. We don't deserve to be in that position because we did not win those 3 games. But we certainly could have. We have to be considered to be among the top contenders.

Reactions: Ponds

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Last night, a lot of people were talking about the Jets. (Too many people for a noise-averse little wallflower like me.) Someone pointed out that the odds are we'll face the Avalanche in the first round and the Stars in the second round, and we'd just shut out both teams in dominating victories in their own arenas. A loud voice said we shouldn't read too much into that and mansplained why it was meaningless.

Came home this afternoon thinking that we SHOULD read a lot into that. Two shutouts, in consecutive games, against the two most powerful teams in our path. That's far from meaningless. That's a pretty clear statement that we're ready and more than able to take on the best. We've got great coaches (YMMV) and players buying into the defence-first structure and guys not only trying at full speed but willing to lay down in front of shots (repeatedly) to prevent a goal when we're 7 ahead.

Reflecting on these past two games has put me in a great frame of mind (okay, laundry notwithstanding) that won't be ruined by reading how this or that player is horrible or NPC, or how the coaches are all idiots and rigid, or why Chevy is a moron.

And two powerplay goals to boot! Bring on the playoffs!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So far this year it has seemed that our PP depends pretty largely on Vilardi. But on that 1st PP yesterday I particularly noticed that KC was the difference. Not just for the pass that setup the goal. Right from the FO he was moving with the puck, breaking the umbrella. That got the D moving. Everything else, goal included, flowed from there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As a lifelong Winnipegger, I'd like to go on record as saying that this city is indeed a bit of a toilet. But I love it anyway, chose to relocate here to raise my family from a large metro centre in the states with no regrets

If you look around any city for its worst areas or attributes, you will find a toilet. Or maybe where that toilet drains to.

Winnipeg has a great deal going for it. Winter is too long. Nowhere is perfect.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really think the Jets should try and sign Monahan. He's very cool with the puck, a thinking player, who does not panic, with great scoring hands. He'd be an ideal # 2 Centerman.

I was withholding judgement on him for a while. He started with us with a bunch of goals, mostly on the PP and no assists. Not looking like an ideal C. He has since adapted to the team and seems to fit in really well.

A nice PO run should put him in mind to stay here. IF he and Chevy can agree on a fair contract, I would be very happy to keep him around.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Last night, a lot of people were talking about the Jets. (Too many people for a noise-averse little wallflower like me.) Someone pointed out that the odds are we'll face the Avalanche in the first round and the Stars in the second round, and we'd just shut out both teams in dominating victories in their own arenas. A loud voice said we shouldn't read too much into that and mansplained why it was meaningless.

Came home this afternoon thinking that we SHOULD read a lot into that. Two shutouts, in consecutive games, against the two most powerful teams in our path. That's far from meaningless. That's a pretty clear statement that we're ready and more than able to take on the best. We've got great coaches (YMMV) and players buying into the defence-first structure and guys not only trying at full speed but willing to lay down in front of shots (repeatedly) to prevent a goal when we're 7 ahead.

Reflecting on these past two games has put me in a great frame of mind (okay, laundry notwithstanding) that won't be ruined by reading how this or that player is horrible or NPC, or how the coaches are all idiots and rigid, or why Chevy is a moron.

I think the underlying question in all this is... were you out last night or at home alone?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Great comment except for that part about wallflower. It was a joke right? Cause the way I've been played in here doesnt fit with wallflower.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I think the underlying question in all this is... were you out last night or at home alone?
Out.

We went to party which I'd understood was for 6-8 of us, but turned into a group of at least 20 folks all soon talking at the top of their lungs. Then the hostess cranked up music so everyone had to yell to be heard. By 11, my ears were tired so we slipped back to BF's place. After morning celebrations and a shower, we went to brunch at the south Pembina Smitty's at 11:20 ayem and I had a Cobb salad with extra dressing and at least four cups of coffee. I was dropped off here at 1:36 pm and reviewed my various social media before changing into grubs and initiating laundry.

Sufficient answer to your question?

Reactions: Stumbledore

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Great comment except for that part about wallflower. It was a joke right? Cause the way I've been played in here doesnt fit with wallflower.
It was a joke. An attempt at irony.

Mr. Wonderful confirmed that hilariously a few weeks ago when we were out at the Forks. A friend approached him, not realizing I was behind and within earshot, and said, "Wow, your girlfriend is all legs."

The BF replied with: "No, maybe 90% legs and the rest is all mouth."

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Absolutely agree.
But - at the same time we should temper our euphoria a bit. We had a sh% of 27. A more reasonable and sustainable sh% of 15 and we win by 4-0. :laugh:

Avs are going to play us a lot tougher than that in the PO. I think we can count on that.

Yes, bring it on!

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Avs are going to play us a lot tougher than that in the PO. I think we can count on that.
I don't think we can safely say that. Think of the years where the Jets have stumbled into the playoffs, and how unbelievably bad they've been when they do. Last year is a perfect example.

Colorado may play tougher in the playoffs, but their recent play indicates more that they're a deeply flawed team right now, with serious confidence issues. Most teams can't turn it around on a dime just because the games are now counting for something.

I don't know if they can repair the damage in time.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Really hope he is willing to consider re-signing with us this summer. Chevy should be willing to walk on broken glass if that's what it takes to make him considering signing a new contract with the Jets.
Its another case of finally finding a centre that works with Ehlers though... we re-sign Monahan, its a lot more likely Ehlers stays... if we don't, I'd walk because he's never playing with Scheif.

Monahan is probably going to be 5x6m though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad