Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 - Flyers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
When estimating what we would have paid him if we had kept him as our BU, you have to consider the arb rights. I really don't know what BU goalies get if they go to arb after a good year. It was only 19 games and he didn't have much of a resume before that. Maybe arb gets him 1 mil or 1.2 mil. Or more, or less. I'm just guessing. Maybe Chevy offers him a very nice raise from 750k to 900k and he takes it without ever filing for arb.
100% was going to get more then 1-1.2
vanecek played more games but had worse numbers and signed a contract for 3.4 million aav
georgiev had worse numbers and signed for 2.4 million aav
vladar closest in terms of games played but has worse numbers and signed for 2.2 aav

that's what I found after spending 5 mins looking at recent rfa goalie signings so I'm sure there are a lot more comparables, no chance he would have accepted a 900k offer from the jets when he has a good case in arb for a lot more

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
100% was going to get more then 1-1.2
vanecek played more games but had worse numbers and signed a contract for 3.4 million aav
georgiev had worse numbers and signed for 2.4 million aav
vladar closest in terms of games played but has worse numbers and signed for 2.2 aav

that's what I found after spending 5 mins looking at recent rfa goalie signings so I'm sure there are a lot more comparables, no chance he would have accepted a 900k offer from the jets when he has a good case in arb for a lot more
I think another factor that gets over looked is Comrie was on a 1 year contract and Chevy and his agent could have discussed contract as of January 1st and Chevy likely knew Comrie was looking for more than what he wanted to pay for a backup. A player doesn't have to take a QO and even if Comrie doesn't go to arbitration he can sign an offer sheet for up to $1,386,490 without any compensation coming back.

Reactions: gojetsgo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Staying with Comrie, my gut feeling on it is that Chevy knew very well through Comrie's agent that after his career best season he wanted a chance to compete for a starters role and make more than the Jets wanted to pay for a backup. And due to their long relationship with him, leaving and coming back on waivers then having a nice backup season to increase his value, Chevy didn't want to stand in his way. Not cut throat GMing, but the type of thing that gets noticed by players and agents and may payoff in other ways down the line.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yes and there are many more around the league. But the odds are still heavy against getting any like those on any one later pick. So I think you can balance the 'go for it' idea against the chances of picking up good players later.

And you left out 3rd rd Lowry. He is not a top 6 F, but he has been a very important part of the Jets. You don't pick up his equivalent in the off-season for <1mil. If he went at the TD in a UFA year he might even return a late 1st. More likely two 2nds.

You know those things just sprayed bullets all over the place, right. :laugh:
Yes

Cheap…

Suppression fire…

Occasionally hits the target…

Explains Stenlund to a T…

:laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly how does he not get fined every time he does one of these. Talking to the press is part of your job, grow the f*** up.

It's a fine line to walk to police what they actually say in the press conferences - would he have to give an answer of X words, or would the reporter have to acknowledge that they're happy with the answer or the coach gets fined?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a fine line to walk to police what they actually say in the press conferences - would he have to give an answer of X words, or would the reporter have to acknowledge that they're happy with the answer or the coach gets fined?
But is a pretty shitty way to treat the people covering the team. The reporters need actual coaches comments for their stories, not just write I know the answer to that.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
We had a 5 in 8 with crazy travel in December.
At some point I think TSN said it was a 5 in 7.
I remember looking back then and not finding it.
Yes it was a 5 in 7 with two back to backs on the road. Van Sea, day off, home against Ott, day off, Boston Washington,

December 17 -23

Edit: Or see post just above!

2 road back to backs ib that stretch is pretty crazy though

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's going to get some physical attention by many teams -
Our other smaller guys do too but the quicker ones (Ehlers / Kyle) get more room than most with their speed and quickness.
Cole will need to keep his head up

All Really part of the process. Gain more strength and learn to spend less time with the puck while making shit happen. He will develop enough physically to be able to manage the challenge.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Imagine how mad the Fonz is going to be when we beat them again in a few days.:naughty:
I think he is more mad at the media for asking stupid question than the teams play.
Interviewing a losing team's players or coaches is kind of dumb. These people are professional they want to win what do you want them to say after a loss?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
But is a pretty shitty way to treat the people covering the team. The reporters need actual coaches comments for their stories, not just write I know the answer to that.

One of the questions was "You talked before the game about needing one more save from Sandstrom, is that an example of what you meant?" He's looking for a quote from Tortorella throwing his goalie under the bus after the game.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ehlers' lower TOI can be explained by shorter shift lengths. He has more or less the same number of shifts as PLD/KC/Scheif/Wheeler
For a fun experiment I would love to put a tracker on Ehlers for the game and see how many km he rips off.

And then compare that data to other skaters.

And then normalize those data to shift length.

:)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I don't really care about answers it's more the tone and how antagonistic he is with the press. If he can't interact properly the send one of the assistants out to do the post game scrums.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I don't really care about answers it's more the tone and how antagonistic he is with the press. If he can't interact properly the send one of the assistants out to do the post game scrums.
I agree. It's disrespectful and unprofessional. You wouldn't let your child behave like that. I'm not sure why it's acceptable for a head coach in the NHL. Reflects poorly on the organization in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad