Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 - Flyers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He didn't get a jacket but I'd like to give kudos to Kevin Stenlund. Jets first goal comes off a defensive zone faceoff win by him, that required some solid board work to transition into offence. Gets the insurance goal as well, in a sign of trust from his coach, for a solid +3.

He's now 54.7% on the year on the draw, tops on the team, and has won 27 of 43 in his last 5 outings. Which has been big for the PK. Not sure why Philly was able to pot 2 tonight against the Jets on the PP, who have been able to shutdown the 3 best teams on the PP in recent games.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I watched the game with some family so I wasn't able to focus as much as usual.
I thought it was good that we kept pressing with the 3-0 lead as turtling that early in the game would be terrible.
It did seem that we maybe could have managed our risk profile while pushing for offense a bit better.

The Jets have put together some really beautiful passing plays for goals recently.
That kind of success can bite us a bit as we get too fancy and over pass a bit.
Again with a 3-0 lead I think that is where our mindset should shift a bit.
Shot selection doesn't need to be as choosy when you already have the lead.
At certain times in the game I couldn't believe how close the shots were as we really seemed to be dominating more.

Every time I see that stupid Kevin Hayes face I can't help but think about how he pathetically cost us a goal in Game 5 of the St Louis series. His attempt to help a puck (THAT WAS FOR SURE GOING IN) over the line in fact prevented it from going in altogether. F'n guy... and he had the audacity to troll us with his goals tonight.

One more win and then we can get back to the Peg for some home cooking.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
They did pretty damn well without him the first time.

I'd hate to see him get hurt again but saying our year would fall apart without him is a bit dramatic
Yeah, if your referring to Ehlers, we did do pretty well without him, but having a healthy Ehlers in our lineup, brings us up to another level. There's no doubt about it. With all the starters the Jets had out, Bowness did a great job with fill in guys.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
aalD4JU.jpg

I loved that he scored the big goal and that we got 3 from bottom 6 but I had to laugh once I saw the replay of the goal. Live it kind of looked like Kuhlman took the puck to the net, drove across and made a move to beat the goalie. The slo-mo replay showed that the puck was either knocked off of his stick or just slid off (no shooting motion) and snuck past their goalie.

It was such a KK goal.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He looks better writhing around on the ice than I do dolled up. Handsome bastard. Hope he's alright.
He also got the opener.
2 penalties against with 1 goal scored on us.
A block with a knee replacement , is there anything this guy can’t do?
Apparently he was screaming on the ice, not the face , not the face:sarcasm:
Hopefully not too serious of an injury.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Jets played a near perfect road game 5 on 5. We got scoring from the top 6 and line 4 tonight. We however didn't have the best game on special teams. PK got beat for 2 and we couldn't get one of our many good looks on the pp to go.

Big save Dave did his job tonight. Made a couple key saves in the third.

JoMo/DeMelo pretty solid but low key game by this pairing.

Pionk/Dillon: Thought this pairing was a bit scrambly in their zone. Not one of their better nights.

Snerg/Schmidt. Snerg keeps getting better and is starting to bring it physically Schmidt was solid as he has been latel.

PLD/Conner/Perfetti: I thought Cole and Kyle played well tonight bit Dubois was a little off in all zone. Still a good night for them.

Scheifele/Wheeler/Ehlers: They started strong but faded a bit as the game went on. Top 6 is playing well.

Third line: Well Khulman got the winner, not sure if he meant to do that or it rolled off his stick. Barron was just OK but ditto with Lowry.

Stenlund continuing to cement himself as the 4C, good night. Flow with another goal and a solid night. I'd put Gagner back in for Saku.
Not sure ESW 'faded' ... ehlers and scheif got too fancy after the tic tac goal and Wheeler was just gassed after back to back

Jets need another top six right hand shot - I don't see wheels surviving the playoffs without more rest

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. So much hand wringing over nothing.

So? We could have got a pick that had a near zero chance of making the nhl. We picked up AJF which is probably better than that.

Comrie has gone back to what he always was. The Jets let him go to FA which is good vibes and we signed a backup for half the cost that's out playing him.
I wanted to follow up on this comment when I had the chance. I'm in total agreement that people tend to give draft picks beyond the first couple rounds way to much weight as to there importance. Most of these guys never make the NHL, and those that do tend to float around the league after their ELCs and maybe a couple years as an RFA. Teams then pick them up as needed as lost cost depth UFAs, waiver wire pickups and trade add-ons.

For example on the Jets in our core's age range of 24 - 29 y/o:

Morgan Barron drafted 6th round, 174 overall by the NYR. (picked up as trade add-on)
Axel the "Flow" - 5th round, 147 overall by Wash. (picked up on waivers)
Big Sak Maenalanen - 5th round, 125 overall by Nashville. (depth UFA signing)
Kevin Stenlund - 2nd round 58 overall by Columbus. (depth UFA signing)
Kyle Capobianco - 3rd round - 63rd overall by Arizona. (depth UFA signing)

And we have a whole host of our own later round draft picks move around the league in a similar manner. Not that these later picks don't have value, but I'd argue they have just as much value as trade chips at the TD to help pick up players needed immediately. The players most will become can mostly be obtained for free when needed down the line anyways.

I'll acknowledge for goalies a team should always hold on to a couple later picks to throw darts at goalies as they are often still unknowns at 18 y/o.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Hope Axel is OK, he's been playing pretty good for us lately, and his confidence is building, and he's starting to score. He does have a nice wrist shot. I think with some time, he good be a great performer for the Jets. He does have great speed, and plays with intensity. Hope he wasn't injured badly.
Blazing speed and decent size.....just can't teach that. And he's only 24 and only had 22 NHL games under his belt when we picked him up. Seems odd that Washington would let him go and even much stranger that 20 teams passed on him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wanted to follow up on this comment when I had the chance. I'm in total agreement that people tend to give draft picks beyond the first couple rounds way to much weight as to there importance. Most of these guys never make the NHL, and those that do tend to float around the league after their ELCs and maybe a couple years as an RFA. Teams then pick them up as needed as lost cost depth UFAs, waiver wire pickups and trade add-ons.

Morgan Barron drafted 6th round, 174 overall by the NYR. (picked up as trade add-on)

And we have a whole host of our own later round draft picks move around the league in a similar manner. Not that these later picks don't have value, but I'd argue they have just as much value as trade chips at the TD to help pick up players needed immediately. The players most will become can mostly be obtained for free when needed down the line anyways.

I'll acknowledge for goalies a team should always hold on to a couple later picks to throw darts at goalies as they are often still unknowns at 18 y/o.
Especially since Helly was a late pick. Copp was a late pick who was the middle 6 forward who was huge on our team. That’s also, not looking at the home run stories around the league.
Kaprizov was a 5th
Kucherov, Aho point, cirreli all late picks. If there teams moved them for help at TD their teams would regretted it immensely.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah Stenlund is essentially a three year older Gus. I think he is what you can realistically expect Gus to turn into.

I think you always need to keep some late round picks as you can still get good players there that are cost controlled. The Jets have filled a lot of their depth positions over the years with cost controlled bottom 6 players and they will need that tap going.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lots of people surprised that the Flyers played pretty well, unaware they've been a top 3 team since Christmas.

IIRC they were 7-3 in their last 10 going in. But I didn't put too much stock into that. Could be a fluke of the schedule, a hot goalie, etc. We didn't get the hot goalie, we got the BU.

But they didn't fold after going down 3 early. Their PP was good. They fought back to tie it with some good play.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
aalD4JU.jpg

I loved that he scored the big goal and that we got 3 from bottom 6 but I had to laugh once I saw the replay of the goal. Live it kind of looked like Kuhlman took the puck to the net, drove across and made a move to beat the goalie. The slo-mo replay showed that the puck was either knocked off of his stick or just slid off (no shooting motion) and snuck past their goalie.

It was such a KK goal.
I've looked at it a few times and I'm wondering if he let it slide and did the greasy Deke. (I'm sure the kids have a name for that play;) ) .

Either way I was ecstatic to see guys driving the net for a change.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Especially since Helly was a late pick. Copp was a late pick who was the middle 6 forward who was huge on our team. That’s also, not looking at the home run stories around the league.
Kaprizov was a 5th
Kucherov, Aho point, cirreli all late picks. If there teams moved them for help at TD their teams would regretted it immensely.
These exceptions prove the rule. There are probably a 100+ late round picks that never even make it to the NHL to every 1 player that becomes a star. And if these teams would have known what the player would become why take the risk and not draft them earlier when they had the chance?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Exhibit A: Connor Hellebuyck

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad