Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 Canucks 0 - Tacos for Everyone (*offer not valid in Manitoba)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I feel the fourth line has fallen off a bit the last little while. I think as the pace of play is picking up the lack of speed of Lewis and especially Thompson is more noticeable.

Stanley's lack of foot speed has also been taken advantage of a couple of times the last few games.

Reactions: Pigseye

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
95 posts on the PGT after a 5-0 beat down.

245 posts on the PGT after the loss yesterday in the same time frame.

Our advanced stats suck.

:baghead:

:laugh: 2 - 11 will do that, I think. No one wants it. Folks get bitchy, clearly.

This -> despite their better recent play. The well worn narrative that, logically, most fans should be happy if the Jets lose a bunch, despite the fact that their play is trending up is a nice argument, a lovely hypothesis, but like many a failed hypothesis, belongs in academia.

The average hockey fan will not abide. Ride or die.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Most “rumours” in here are started by negative, petty-minded people who desperately want their wishful thinking to be shared by others.

Preach! :nod:

giphy.gif

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the jets looked good last night. vancouver is pretty lifeless right now though (that roster, yikes). not putting a lot of stock into this W in terms of the team "flipping the (supposed) switch" but the Jets did look good. hopefully just getting a convincing W gives them some confidence + momentum going forward.... but i did think the same against the Flames last week so :dunno:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
statsny s comments last nite seem to contradict what he had several weeks ago.....what individuals was he talking about previously and who is ultimately responsible for the play of those individuals?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh gee it's sooooo surprising that gameday threads for a team that has clinched a playoff spot against teams that have clinched a golf course slot would be more active when the supposedly good team is on a prolonged losing skid. lol. :rolleyes: I mean come on. These threads absolutely should be completely lifeless at this point. The only reason for any notable activity is a big ugly losing streak...

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
95 posts on the PGT after a 5-0 beat down.
245 posts on the PGT after the loss yesterday in the same time frame.
Our advanced stats suck. :baghead:
Oh gee it's sooooo surprising that gameday threads for a team that has clinched a playoff spot against teams that have clinched a golf course slot would be more active when the supposedly good team is on a prolonged losing skid. lol. :rolleyes: I mean come on. These threads absolutely should be completely lifeless at this point. The only reason for any notable activity is a big ugly losing streak...

Another Corsi against. Damn :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Nice to get the win, get some offense and also not allow a goal. Hard to get to high because I'm not sure how much the Canucks were invested, but it's a good start nonetheless.

Pluses
Morrissey getting more playing time with a good partner
Top line scoring
Lowry getting his playoff physical play going
0 goals against

Minuses
Not going to look for too much in a 5-0 win, but the PP needs to get going IMO

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Yep. I've posted Wheeler's quote before, but basically he was asking us to believe that if he's "in the lineup, he's 100%." Now we know that he wasn't anywhere near 100%, and was nonetheless in the lineup playing heavy minutes and making the team worse. That strikes me as less heroic than selfish, but whatevs, hockey culture, leadership, etc.

Blame Maurice all you want (and I certainly do), but to call Wheeler selfish for trying to play while hurt is wrong. It's the player's job to get themselves best ready to play. It's the coaches job to decide who plays.

Reactions: Jet and Jaytee

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh: 2 - 11 will do that, I think. No one wants it. Folks get bitchy, clearly.

This -> despite their better recent play. The well worn narrative that, logically, most fans should be happy if the Jets lose a bunch, despite the fact that their play is trending up is a nice argument, a lovely hypothesis, but like many a failed hypothesis, belongs in academia.

The average hockey fan will not abide. Ride or die.

Yes I was having some fun taking the piss out of our board like our board does to our team. I get that things aren't going to be rosy when our team and board are enduring a prolonged losing streak even though its all happening in garbage time. Its interesting that even in our eco system bad news sells better.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Wait, I thought he was lazy and over the hill.

I guess it comes down to whether or not a player should be in the line up with cracked ribs - because regardless of what Paul or wheels had to say about it, there was a significant impact on his game and the fans called it out.

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess it comes down to whether or not a player should be in the line up with cracked ribs - because regardless of what Paul or wheels had to say about it, there was a significant impact on his game and the fans called it out.

Agreed, a player will always want to play and the coach needs to know when to keep a player out to heal vs letting the player keep playing.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Wheeler was hurt he shouldn't have been playing. I will say it was great seeing him play like he did last night, we absolutely need that to have a chance in the playoffs. A completely healthy Wheeler and Ehlers make us a waaaaaaaaay better team.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We won’t get a real chance to analyze this team until playoffs Game 1 - Toronto has to rest their top players next game can’t see much reason to play them

hopefully two wins in a row restores their confidence

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Depends on how long it takes to heal. If it takes 4 weeks before it's back to normal, there's a cost to having a player sit for that long in a short season. Anyway, they were winning a ton while he was injured, so no real downside at the time.

Also, there are cap considerations to every move this year, as the Jets were heavily into LTIR and facing some performance bonuses.

Reactions: Jet and Luc Labelle

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I was sure wheeler said something in January along the lines of "if I'm playing, I'm healthy"

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Depends on how long it takes to heal. If it takes 4 weeks before it's back to normal, there's a cost to having a player sit for that long in a short season. Anyway, they were winning a ton while he was injured, so no real downside at the time.

Also, there are cap considerations to every move this year, as the Jets were heavily into LTIR and facing some performance bonuses.

I'm referring only to your original post - he was not playing well and got called out for it. The fact that some thought he might be getting a little long in the tooth, slowing down or maybe developing some lazy habits are comments that might be considered justified when you consider how he was playing - especially when he states he is 100% - which was obviously not true.
IMO, fans were justified in calling it out under the circumstances

How long it takes to heal or how well the team played while he was playing injured, really has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

Pigseye

Oct 14, 2019
Yeah I feel the fourth line has fallen off a bit the last little while. I think as the pace of play is picking up the lack of speed of Lewis and especially Thompson is more noticeable.

Stanley's lack of foot speed has also been taken advantage of a couple of times the last few games.
When Ehlers is back I would slide Stats to that 4th line with Thompson and Lewis, it would be 3A 3B rather than a 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad