Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Dead Wings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I feel like it'll be really difficult for this team to succeed until it acknowledges that Scheifele, Connor, and Pionk shouldn't be used in defensive situations or against opposing teams' top players. Just let them beat up on lower competition, they get exploited by more talented players.
I'll play Devils advocate. Their pure skill helps

There was a play today where Connor got the puck and used his soft hands to loft the puck out of the zone safely late in the game

The Barron goal the other night was after a brilliant play by schief who used his skill to clear the zone with the puck

Of course, playing without the puck is a huge part of defending. But so is maintaining possession if you manage to get it. Skill helps with that

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I'll take the 2 points but the 3rd sucked. Time to give Chisholm a shot over Schmidt
88 Linros is having a slower time, he doesn't have to be great but just a bit quicker

On the bad side on the Wings PBP team.... they're really fixated on the Bruins.... looking to far ahead

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thought we played a good first half of the game but really got it handed to us the second game. Helle stood tall and we capitalized on our chances tonight. I don't think he we played is a recipe for success. Good thing we haven't had too many games like this.

Pp needs a revamp, it will cost us games at some point with how ineffective it is. The second unit lacks any kind of purpose. Get the puck and shoot as quickly as possible. Both units need a complete reset.

Coaching also needs to figure out their deployment. Our top line is back to extending shifts and getting hemmed as a result. The coaching staff is routinely deploying the second line under 10 minutes per game at ES.

JoMo/DeMelo: JoMo had an off game. DeMelo was ok.

Pionk shouldn't be deployed on the PK or at the EN. Dillion was solid.

Thought Snerg had a nice game and Schmidt was better.

Top line had a couple good looks and a goal but where stuck I their end a lot as well. Iafallo hasn't been able to prop them defensively.

Second line. This line doesn't play enough period. They are still scoring to expectations but that is almost entirely on Perfetti producing at McDavid scoring rate levels at 5 on 5. Which means it's not sustainable. You want offense play them. They also happen to be the best metric and outscoring line so they don't give up much either.

Third line. They scored but I didn't think they played all that well outside that goal.

Fourth line was ok but didn't play much either.

They won't bleed chances if they don't play against top lines. They can pick apart lower competition with the best of them, but smarter players exploit them. Just play players to their strengths.

Who you talking about here. Not clear which players as I mentioned three lines lol.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
The team looks a lot better than the previous few years in the offensive zone. What a difference getting rid of one dead weight player has made. Not as many turnovers, fumbling the puck, puck battles lost, and overall slowness. So far Scheifele even looks a ton better not having to deal with that.

There's still Appleton but at least he scored. Still not a fan of him at all though.

Reactions: kanadalainen

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Almost nodded off in the third, but stayed awake until the end. Nice to see some scoring from all the lines! Those goals by Ehlers and Neiderreiter should get the monkeys off of their backs and start their offence going... I give this game four El Nino's out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest is up and running for the game against Montreal on Saturday, so check it out and get your guesses in. A big thank you to @Aggie204 who will be making the GDT for the Canadiens game, we all are looking forward to seeing it. See you guys then...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
88 Linros is having a slower time, he doesn't have to be great but just a bit quicker

On the bad side on the Wings PBP team.... they're really fixated on the Bruins.... looking to far ahead
He's just making mistakes all over, going offside, not getting the puck deep with it on its stick at the red line. Not saying he is out permanently but give him a break to see what you have in Chisholm.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

There was a play today where Connor got the puck and used his soft hands to loft the puck out of the zone safely late in the game

The Barron goal the other night was after a brilliant play by schief who used his skill to clear the zone with the puck

Of course, playing without the puck is a huge part of defending. But so is maintaining possession if you manage to get it. Skill helps with that

That is likely what the coaching staff thinks but at some point the grade A chances they give up will end up in the back of the net with more frequency. Both he and Conner are converting on their looks so far so they are staying ahead of it, but we saw exactly what happens last year when the pendulum swings the other way. They were great with Vilardi as they weren't stuck in their end all that much. Without him they have been really hemmed in.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

I don't disagree, their skill is a great asset.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think we have arniel for a while.
Bowness missed time last year. Now family emergency with his wife. I believe this is his final year on his deal (?) and he's the oldest coach in the nhl. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done after this year.
Maybe Ehlers is upset that his buddy Laine is still out of the CBJ lineup
He has a new BFF in perfetti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad