Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Fake Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agreed, he put Saku who has some of the worst metrics on the team out there for Cole.
That's a simple one for me. Fundamentals. Maenalanen probably has some of the best metrics on board battles, and you get into a late minute scenario where the puck gets in your end, and you want to push the puck off the boards over the line in a scrum, you want men who can win that battle.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I didn't watch this game all that closely, and not continuously either, but it seemed to me like Neal Pionk had a pretty good game, won some battles, moved the puck smartly, played good positionally, I saw him give up one good chance where he anticipated the play, but missed it off the boards, but otherwise +1, heavy minutes. You are going to have a hard time convincing me he is the worst Jets defenseman out there.

Similarly there's a growing movement to put Wheeler on the 3rd line, when he and Scheifele are gelling very nicely at this point of the season. I definitely don't see that happening, but I think the kid is profiting a lot from playing with two very intelligent players, the same way Ehlers did, Connor did and even Laine did before him. Nice to see that line come through with the GWG.

Jets are earning points they should get, and getting the goaltending to steal a few too. The excitement of another whiteout is growing with each victory, I think.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
You wore underwear at summer camp?
this-place-isnt-that-wrong-place.gif

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’m happy for the win. I said beating a team on as long of a losing streak as there’s is tough. They are going to win a game eventually so I’m psyched that it wasn’t against us.

As I feared Kuhlman remained on the 3rd line ahead of Saku. Many of you assured me that the line would be Baron/Lowry/Manaelainen (sp).
I don’t mind Gagner sitting but he can rotate back in ASAP. Sitting one of these 4 in 6 (3 in 4) is likely good for Sam’s body and productivity.

I’m not sure how far Apples is away but that will be interesting to see how that plays out of everyone is healthy.

On to Montreal.
Let them drool over Dubois.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Similarly there's a growing movement to put Wheeler on the 3rd line, when he and Scheifele are gelling very nicely at this point of the season.
I'm not one of the people advocating for that but have seen those posts.
To me the TDL acquisition of a top/middle 6 winger as insurance on say our 3rd line seems like a solid move and we let the guys that carried the team and gelled all year do their thing.

But in the event that Chevy lands a bigger fish, a player who has to be in the top 6 based on their skill and the cost to acquire them then I think we know that really only 2 of the 6 players would be considered to be moved down.

The less experienced Perfetti is likely top of the list but also seems least suited to play with Lowry's shut down line since the coaches generally don't play him the last few minutes of game that we have a tight lead.
Moving him to the 4th with our current crop of players would be a waste.

Thus, the "move Wheeler to the 3rd line" posts make more sense.
Many have pointed out why that isn't a great fit anymore either but it seems like the only option I would see them looking at. Could you imagine 2015 Wheeler being that kind of luxury for us that we could play him on the 3rd line. 2023 Wheeler doesn't seem to have the game to fit that role anymore but who knows.

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg
it's been great seeing the team turn things around this year. last year, who'd have thought we'd be in first place in the western confernce 44 games into the season. lots of hockey to be played, but it's very encouraging to see what this team can do when healthy. so impressed with morrissey's play this year. you can't win in today's nhl without a dman like him. with hellebuyck in net, this team could go far.

ps. i would like to publicly apologize to blake wheeler. i've said some very negative comments towards him in the past and i would like to take them back. i have very much admired how he has handled losing the captaincy, and the skill and determination he has shown this season. what a beast he is to be back playing at a high level after the injury he sustained.

go jets go!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
People are complaining about some of Bowness's line adjusting? We are 1st in the Western conference man, like why don't we at least wait until we lose to start bitching ? Plus the flu is going through the team and we have no idea who is sick, not feeling well and playing through it. 29 wins and we had 39 all of last season, i'm absolutely thrilled with Bowness and the Jets right now.:nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Came by to collect my prediction contest points!

family function so only caught the third period, kind PO’d we could only beat the crappy dawgs by 1 goal!

Hard to keep the anger pot boiling this season Sip but you always find a way! :thumbu::laugh:

So awesome. Didn’t get to watch another one as I sit in México.

Same here but Dominican. I did get to watch the NFL game though and just noticed the Jets score pop up when they won. Very happy!!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's a simple one for me. Fundamentals. Maenalanen probably has some of the best metrics on board battles, and you get into a late minute scenario where the puck gets in your end, and you want to push the puck off the boards over the line in a scrum, you want men who can win that battle.

Is that your observation or do you have any data to back that up? He lost a key board battle that lead to a grade A chances against that could have had the Coyotes tie the game late when put on that line.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Same. Some of the player utilization choices leave me bewildered but what the hell - the outcomes so far have not been a disaster.... . I continue to hold my breath when, like again tonight, he puts Connor/Scheifele/Wheeler out there in the dying moments of a game where we are up 1 measly goal with the opponent having an empty net and six attackers.
Yeah that was a head scratcher for me. I get having offensive players for the en but id want my 3 best zone clear guys out.

Agreed, he put Saku who has some of the worst metrics on the team out there for Cole.
I really don't mind Saku for Perfetti in that situation. On a 6 on 5 boards battles and physical strength are paramount.

I think you need to run your pkers in that situation

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He also hasn’t switched Wheeler and Ehlers yet. That second line needs a sniper and Pld and kc need someone willing to do the grunt work.
I've been an advocate for that as well, but there's something about Wheeler and Scheifele that just works, and Perfetti is so cerebral he can just play off their styles magnificently.

Originally, I wanted the change to help the Schiefele line but it's becoming apparent the change would actually help the Dubois line more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah that was a head scratcher for me. I get having offensive players for the en but id want my 3 best zone clear guys out.

I really don't mind Saku for Perfetti in that situation. On a 6 on 5 boards battles and physical strength are paramount.

I think you need to run your pkers in that situation

For 6 on 5 that might be ok but he was running him out there with 5 minutes left. I have issues with that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, you can see that Cole is disheartened whenever Bones elects to essentially bench him in the last 5 minutes or so of close games. Hard to understand why Bones doesn`t trust him in these situations. I think if anything the kid is more responsible defensively than either of his linemates.
I think it's actually for the benefit of Perfetti as much as the team. You really want to add on responsibility for young players slowly so you don't overwhelm them or mess with their confidence.

I also don't think Cole has the man strength yet for the physical intensity of en against play.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For 6 on 5 that might be ok but he was running him out there with 5 minutes left. I have issues with that.
I'm not going to argue with you too vociferously on this but bear with me: the Jets are in no danger of missing the playoffs. The Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal. To that end, the rest of the regular season should be fine tuning the Jets game to achieve that goal.

I think the one thing the team loves about Bones is the structure, a clear identity, and using players in roles that play to their strengths.

Having 8 out there in prevent situations plays to his strengths. He, like everyone else has room to improve. So, you put him in this situations and then coach and correct. You can be sure he'll look through the game tape with an assistant coach and identify things to work on.

Playoff success isn't just about talent. It's about roster balance, energy conservation, and adoption of system.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
People are complaining about some of Bowness's line adjusting? We are 1st in the Western conference man, like why don't we at least wait until we lose to start bitching ? Plus the flu is going through the team and we have no idea who is sick, not feeling well and playing through it. 29 wins and we had 39 all of last season, i'm absolutely thrilled with Bowness and the Jets right now.:nod:
I don't know if it's 'complaining'. The boards are a place to discuss the team and present opinions. Obviously whatever the coaching staff is doing is working, but, just as the players, the coaches should be continually learning and improving, no?

Bones said as much - I can't remember the scenario but he made a poor decision in a game a few weeks back and basically said he made an error and will learn from it.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I didn't watch this game all that closely, and not continuously either, but it seemed to me like Neal Pionk had a pretty good game, won some battles, moved the puck smartly, played good positionally, I saw him give up one good chance where he anticipated the play, but missed it off the boards, but otherwise +1, heavy minutes. You are going to have a hard time convincing me he is the worst Jets defenseman out there.

Similarly there's a growing movement to put Wheeler on the 3rd line, when he and Scheifele are gelling very nicely at this point of the season. I definitely don't see that happening, but I think the kid is profiting a lot from playing with two very intelligent players, the same way Ehlers did, Connor did and even Laine did before him. Nice to see that line come through with the GWG.

Jets are earning points they should get, and getting the goaltending to steal a few too. The excitement of another whiteout is growing with each victory, I think.
I think poor Neal has fallen into a bit of the whipping boy status.

Dillon and Schmidt playing much better, Wheeler against all odds has become a fan favorite again, Samberg has really steadied his play, and Stanley has been out a while.

Pionk is the natural choice as resident whipping boy because he has made some questional decisions and his positioning isn't always ideal. However, I agree with you. I think Pionk has been steadily improving in some key areas. It might just be taking him a bit longer to rediscover the offense by defense game, trying to shed the shellshocked style of play that the other guy before Bones had the team playing.

Pionk does a hundred nice things a game, but he has to reduce the 10 or so poor things. Some of those things lately in my mind have been unlucky, but I think if he can build off the physicality he's rediscovered that's a good start.

Hard to keep the anger pot boiling this season Sip but you always find a way! :thumbu::laugh:

Same here but Dominican. I did get to watch the NFL game though and just noticed the Jets score pop up when they won. Very happy!!
I'm going to the Bucs wildcard game tomorrow! First NFL playoff game (I don't really care for NFL tbh but hey free tickets!). I'll have to find a parka though as it will be frosty!

Then, on another working cruise next week, going to Mexico, Honduras, Bahamas :)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't know if it's 'complaining'. The boards are a place to discuss the team and present opinions. Obviously whatever the coaching staff is doing is working, but, just as the players, the coaches should be continually learning and improving, no?

Bones said as much - I can't remember the scenario but he made a poor decision in a game a few weeks back and basically said he made an error and will learn from it.
I could have had too much NyQuil and maybe reading too much into some posts so there is that.:laugh: Just pumped that the Jets are 1st in the Western conference and it's the middle of January.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I could have had too much NyQuil and maybe reading too much into some posts so there is that.:laugh: Just pumped that the Jets are 1st in the Western conference and it's the middle of January.

Nah I get it. After the last few years on these boards it's easy to be hyper sensitive to any discussion that isn't positive as we've all had to endure a lot of shitposting.

Great news is, with the Jets winning 8 of 9 and now top of the Western Conference, a bunch of posters are mysteriously absent.

But, like herpes, they will return as soon as the Jets have a stinker or a slump.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think poor Neal has fallen into a bit of the whipping boy status.

Dillon and Schmidt playing much better, Wheeler against all odds has become a fan favorite again, Samberg has really steadied his play, and Stanley has been out a while.

Pionk is the natural choice as resident whipping boy because he has made some questional decisions and his positioning isn't always ideal. However, I agree with you. I think Pionk has been steadily improving in some key areas. It might just be taking him a bit longer to rediscover the offense by defense game, trying to shed the shellshocked style of play that the other guy before Bones had the team playing.

Pionk does a hundred nice things a game, but he has to reduce the 10 or so poor things. Some of those things lately in my mind have been unlucky, but I think if he can build off the physicality he's rediscovered that's a good start.

I'm going to the Bucs wildcard game tomorrow! First NFL playoff game (I don't really care for NFL tbh but hey free tickets!). I'll have to find a parka though as it will be frosty!

Then, on another working cruise next week, going to Mexico, Honduras, Bahamas :)

IDK -- maybe he has become this season's whipping boy at this point, but I think it's less a whipping boy and more a WTF Pionk!!?? response at an important player who is having another puzzling season, in which he's pacing for strong point totals while regularly being an adventure on D.

I'm a Pionk fan -- love his combo of skill, motor and truly verminous pestiness when he's on his game, especially on a team that's poised to make some noise in the playoffs. As we know, this is a guy who can absolutely torment some very good players in a shadow D role.

But his up-down season hasn't gone unnoticed. Here's Murat picking -- who else? -- as the Jets' biggest disappointment this season:

Biggest disappointment: Neal Pionk

It’s a little harsh to praise the team up and down but pick on Pionk, whose 19 points in 41 games have him on pace for one of his very best offensive seasons. The problem is that Pionk’s defending has given a lot of that back in terms of shots, scoring chances and goals against. During Pionk’s early Jets career, he was among the team’s best zone-entry defenders, but, to me, he hasn’t moved or tracked nearly as well in his own zone this season as he did during those early days. — Murat Ates

Anyhoo. For me, it's less a matter of "We need a whipping boy -- I see you, Neal!" and more a matter of getting back to that ideal game of sound D, solid O, endless motor and a straight-up mean streak.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

IDK -- maybe he has become this season's whipping boy at this point, but I think it's less a whipping boy and more a WTF Pionk!!?? response at an important player who is having another puzzling season, in which he's pacing for strong point totals while regularly being an adventure on D.

I'm a Pionk fan -- love his combo of skill, motor and truly verminous pestiness when he's on his game, especially on a team that's poised to make some noise in the playoffs. As we know, this is a guy who can absolutely torment some very good players in a shadow D role.

But his up-down season hasn't gone unnoticed. Here's Murat picking -- who else? -- as the Jets' biggest disappointment this season:

Biggest disappointment: Neal Pionk

It’s a little harsh to praise the team up and down but pick on Pionk, whose 19 points in 41 games have him on pace for one of his very best offensive seasons. The problem is that Pionk’s defending has given a lot of that back in terms of shots, scoring chances and goals against. During Pionk’s early Jets career, he was among the team’s best zone-entry defenders, but, to me, he hasn’t moved or tracked nearly as well in his own zone this season as he did during those early days. — Murat Ates

Anyhoo. For me, it's less a matter of "We need a whipping boy -- I see you, Neal!" and more a matter of getting back to that ideal game of sound D, solid O, endless motor and a straight-up mean streak.
Yeah that's valid. The good news is I see him slowly trending in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad