Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Fake Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
aren't we now 20-1 when leading after 2?
Sure we are -and it`s great ain`t it? The thing is we are only in the last little while seeing evidence that Bones is really trying hard to impart this type of game plan on the team. Basically since the team returned from the last extended road trip and had the time to really practice. Our season record doesn`t really tel us muchl Whether the great short term results we have been getting with this plan can be sustained or not will show up as we move forward.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Ugh. I just looked at the schedule, and see we play in Montreal followed by Toronto.
vomit-jim-carrey.gif

Come on boys, win both of these for the Zipper
eff4b438-35e0-4d7a-97e1-c3a6cec20a65_text.gif

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Any athlete who has achieved as much as Cole has will have a competitive fire within them.
He wants to prove he can play in those situations because he played in those situations his whole life at every level. It's natural for him to be disappointed if he's getting benched for "more defensive players". When it's the last shift of the game and they stick out an extra C for the draw he likely doesn't care. When there's 5 minutes left and a Kuhlman or someone else is getting his minutes that would be a different story. Yes Cole is smaller and physically weaker than essentially all of our players but he seems to play very well positionally, has an excellent stick, and seems as good as most at his zone exits. He's also great at zone entries and controlled dump ins.

I think a mixture of working him in slow and letting him prove himself is probably the best course. But I'll defer to Bones until the teams starts showing major cracks and extended bad results.

I sort of agree to that there's no reason that can't use their PK'ers in those close out 5 on 6 situations.
Then that way Cole isn't being singled out as the only guy on his line not playing.
To be fair I didn't really want any of the top 6 out there, other than maybe Dubois.

I agree Cole wants to be out there but I'm sure by now he understands how hockey works, he is a rookie after all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What has been lost in much of the discussion so far is exactly what you raise here - it seems that the coach is showing his preference for changing the game plan when entering the 3rd period up by a single goal. The entire team is being asked to play much more cautiously, with a steady diet of dump-ins and non aggressive pursuit. The strategy clearly shows up if you look at the way expected Gf simply flatlines in the entire 3rd period. I`m still not convinced this roster performs best by so easily giving up possession and allowing the other team to constantly come at you, but we will have to see.

Part of the thinking is to really tighten up in the last few minutes by altering lineups and inserting what coach believes to be players who are uniquely suited to the expected game situation. This part seems fair, but again I don`t understand how someone like Connor can be more trusted in such circumstance than someone like Perfetti. Connor is completely out of his element in these game situations.
I think they have to find that middle ground. I don't want to see this team just flip it out and trap in the 3rd, as that's not really what our best players do well. I'd rather we'd still try to push the play forward, and eliminate high risk plays, just as if we were down in the third I would expect our risk taking to accelerate in the back half.

Agreed on the Connor thing. He's really great at regaining possession in the offensive zone or winning quick battles when hes' the agressor not the guy being attacked.

I want meat on the ice when the game is on the line, someone who can win board battles. That is where we got hosed in the Carolina game. We just couldn't win any puck battles on the wall.

Reactions: ecolad

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To be fair I didn't really want any of the top 6 out there, other than maybe Dubois.

I agree Cole wants to be out there but I'm sure by now he understands how hockey works, he is a rookie after all.
More teams than not play their best offensive players when the other team pulls their goalie. They are your best players to gain control of the puck and then move it up the ice under control.

Nov 24, 2006
Why all the consternation about Perfetti not being out in the last mins of a tight game where we are ahead?

If we're behind a goal and Bowness puts Saku out there, then I'd be worried. He's putting the players out he believes will do what he needs in a given situation.

How the heck can we argue with the results he's getting.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
More teams than not play their best offensive players when the other team pulls their goalie. They are your best players to gain control of the puck and then move it up the ice under control.
Well I'll counter that by saying maybe some teams are making a mistake, and some just have players who happen to not only be their best, but have the size, strength and battle to win the puck back on the wall.

Why all the consternation about Perfetti not being out in the last mins of a tight game where we are ahead?

If we're behind a goal and Bowness puts Saku out there, then I'd be worried. He's putting the players out he believes will do what he needs in a given situation.

How the heck can we argue with the results he's getting.
I really don't see it as an argument - I think it's a really interesting philosophical discussion about player usage.

Reactions: ecolad and Jack7222

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well I'll counter that by saying maybe some teams are making a mistake, and some just have players who happen to not only be their best, but have the size, strength and battle to win the puck back on the wall.

I really don't see it as an argument - I think it's a really interesting philosophical discussion about player usage.
Except 5 on 6 isn't a PK. Going into a defensive PK shell, while being unable to ice the puck puts you on the defensive and most likely to get scored on. If you have more talent on the ice you are more likely to gain control and be able to move it up the ice under control. Scoring is the best defense against an empty net.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Except 5 on 6 isn't a PK. Going into a defensive PK shell, while being unable to ice the puck puts you on the defensive and most likely to get scored on. If you have more talent on the ice you are more likely to gain control and be able to move it up the ice under control. Scoring is the best defense against an empty net.
Agree to disagree

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'd agree that some talent out there makes perfect sense - you do want to turn it up the other way.
But if you are chasing / battling for pucks, the best offensive players may not be the ones you want out there - at least not all.
I think Kyle was out there last night with a couple or defense first players - that makes sense in that if they are able to win a battle, there is a player on the ice that can move it up ice quickly. But Kyle isn't the guy that will create the turnover.
Maybe a mixture of both?

Reactions: Jets 31

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Nice to see such an enlightened perspective.:thumbu: Too bad there aren`t more who see it this way.

I really don`t understand why posters on here immediately deem any observation/discussion of what occurred on the ice as "complaining" or "bitching" or otherwise "unnecessarily critical of the team or the coaching staff".... . I can fully respect their right to simply cheerlead/ celebrate wins with gifs if that is what they want to do, but surely they can also respect the right to simply discuss differing subjects in a respectful fashion.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nice to see such an enlightened perspective.:thumbu: Too bad there aren`t more who see it this way.

I really don`t understand why posters on here immediately deem any observation/discussion of what occurred on the ice as "complaining" or "bitching" or otherwise "unnecessarily critical of the team or the coaching staff".... . I can fully respect their right to simply cheerlead/ celebrate wins with gifs if that is what they want to do, but surely they can also respect the right to simply discuss differing subjects in a respectful fashion.
Apparently you are talking about me. :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What has been lost in much of the discussion so far is exactly what you raise here - it seems that the coach is showing his preference for changing the game plan when entering the 3rd period up by a single goal. The entire team is being asked to play much more cautiously, with a steady diet of dump-ins and non aggressive pursuit. The strategy clearly shows up if you look at the way expected Gf simply flatlines in the entire 3rd period. I`m still not convinced this roster performs best by so easily giving up possession and allowing the other team to constantly come at you, but we will have to see.

Part of the thinking is to really tighten up in the last few minutes by altering lineups and inserting what coach believes to be players who are uniquely suited to the expected game situation. This part seems fair, but again I don`t understand how someone like Connor can be more trusted in such circumstance than someone like Perfetti. Connor is completely out of his element in these game situations.

Yeah this is what he elected to do in Dallas so no surprise he's brought it here. Nothing wrong with learning to lock things down but I'd also say our roster is built more towards continuing to press for as long as you can in the third period.

Reactions: ecolad

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd agree that some talent out there makes perfect sense - you do want to turn it up the other way.
But if you are chasing / battling for pucks, the best offensive players may not be the ones you want out there - at least not all.
I think Kyle was out there last night with a couple or defense first players - that makes sense in that if they are able to win a battle, there is a player on the ice that can move it up ice quickly. But Kyle isn't the guy that will create the turnover.
Maybe a mixture of both?
Kyle is out there because he is the fastest Jet and they think he can get into lanes just like when he pked. He can close on the puck movement quickly and structure breaks down on 6 on 5. Perfetti is not out there because he is slower. Ehlers could also be out there, but, for some reason they don’t like Ehlers in that role and he never pked. Maybe Ehlers gets winded faster.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
At some point we are going to have trust Bones.

Not sure what that really means. "Trust Bones"...and therefore not raise any questions here on this public hockey fan forum about any of his decisions? OK...so does that mean "trust Bones...for 8 or 9 seasons no matter what sort of success the team has?" What we do here has no real bearing at all on Bones. We don't have to "trust" him. I trust that Bones is trying to do the best he can to get the team ready to pllay and win games. I also trust that's exactly what Maurice and Noel did. :dunno:

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad