Post-Game Talk: Jets 2, Canucks 1: It's a Winnipeg brownout! Mark Flood would be so proud.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
saw goldbdobin get an earful from willie while on the bench. he got pushed off the puck behind the net by a jet player and gave them a scoring chance.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
saw goldbdobin get an earful from willie while on the bench. he got pushed off the puck behind the net by a jet player and gave them a scoring chance.

Of course. That's Willie for ya - young guys make mistakes and get ripped to pieces. Sbisa Megna and Sutter d!ck around like idiots and are given prime minutes.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I was doing something completely unrelated to hockey just now, turned on the screen and was here at this post (hadn't looked yet). So I was like - oh yeah, hockey. Hey, stats. What is this watermark... looks like some lights maybe in an arena or something. Is that a hockey player? Those tracks though... and I literally opened this quote window and thought the words in my head to ask you: "What's with the tank?"

And then it hit me.

tank_fail.gif

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Would be good if we had a playmaking offensive winger.

Sutter - Would be good if we had a playmaking offensive winger

Eriksson - Would be good if we had a playmaking offensive center

That's some grade A general managing I tell you what.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Sutter career: 589GP 120G 106A 226P 0.38PGP
Sutter playoffs
WHL: 14GP 1G 7A 8P
AHL: 7GP 0G 2A 2P
NHL: 33GP 8G 4A 12P
Salary: 3.3m - 4.375m

Bonino career: 401GP 73G 109A 182P 0.45PGP
Bonino playoffs
NHL: 54GP 12G 21A 33P
Salary: 1.9m - ?

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Haha I see your point but if we were to switch Sutter full-time to the wing (with the option of occasionally using him on draws, especially on his strong side, a la a Joel Ward-type player)... a move I find more and more appealing as time passes; I simply don't see him as a particularly effective center... too much tunnel vision... hopefully draft a strong playmaking center or two in the next couple drafts (fingers crossed!)... we could be OK... or, y'know, *better* at least...

Or, y'know, bite the bullet, get creative and find a way to dump both their collective ***** :naughty:

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The more I watch Sutter the more I hate him.

He is so damn fixated on himself he never uses his line mates.

Welcome to the club.

He's such an offensive blackhole, incredibly frustrating to watch him get playing time with players that need a distributer. I'd honestly we rather put Shore with Goldobin and Boucher then Sutter at this point. Shore can at least use his teammates a bit, at least from what I saw. Not saying he's any good, but Sutter is a offensive blackhole that sucks offense away from anyone.

Even more frustrating is that Bonino is the exact opposite...

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
Welcome to the club.

He's such an offensive blackhole, incredibly frustrating to watch him get playing time with players that need a distributer. I'd honestly we rather put Shore with Goldobin and Boucher then Sutter at this point. Shore can at least use his teammates a bit, at least from what I saw. Not saying he's any good, but Sutter is a offensive blackhole that sucks offense away from anyone.

Even more frustrating is that Bonino is the exact opposite...

I Thought Shore had a pretty strong game today, I think him and boucher could have some chemistry if they lined up together regularly.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Honestly, I know this probably isn't a popular opinion. But if the Twins decided to retire after this season, I'd be more excited for the canucks then I am now. They are taking up so much prime icetime that could be used to develop the young players.

I Thought Shore had a pretty strong game today, I think him and boucher could have some chemistry if they lined up together regularly.

Agreed, completely. At least it can't be worse then Sutter with them

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Honestly, I know this probably isn't a popular opinion. But if the Twins decided to retire after this season, I'd be more excited for the canucks then I am now. They are taking up so much prime icetime that could be used to develop the young players.

Agreed, completely. At least it can't be worse then Sutter with them

I think the best bet would be for them to announce next year is their last year. I think that mixed with all of the youth will be enough to keep fans interested through one more terrible year. That terrible year will be enough to ditch Benning.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That was an awful game really. Loosely played by both teams and everyone firing the puck off the end boards. Teams took turns being rotten on defense. Both goaltenders were excellent.

Boucher continues to illustrate some good chops on offense. One player taking advantage of the opportunity to show off his game. You can imagine him being a very good complementary player on a good line. Reminds me of Andrew Brunette. Another pudgy player who did nothing but score (especially against the Canucks)

ATM Canucks have decision to make about protecting him in the ED. Doubt they will but again Canuck fans should demand that Eriksson waive his NMC -like Loui you are not, unfortunately, getting picked up ). Maybe one of the Sedins will step up and waive. Vegas is not taking just one Sedin at 7 mill.

Didn't think that Boeser skating and general movement would be as good as it has been. Little tentative but easily stays in the play and shows he is smart with the puck. Can see real upside here. Guy must be gassed after this weekend.

Goldobin has got that Russian edging in his skating. Don't really have to stride much because they are so light on their skates. Can see he is an East-West player and is always looking for the lateral play and is wanting to bring the puck back to the middle. I like these kind of players at center and he does look like he can distribute.

Goldobin got bounced around a bit and will need to get more leg strength. Still he has just come off a big loss of weight and so you don't want to be too harsh. Obviously he will need to produce offense to make it in any kind of significant way.

LaBate is playing decently. Has come a long way in two years. Beginning of last year in Utica he was too awkward to compete in the AHL and now he is showing good enough skating to stay mostly in the play. As I've said before he is pretty much interchangeable with Gaunce. Gaunce probably has more ability to score (although LaBate has had, even the short time he has been here, better chances to score). And Gaunce probably has a more clinical understanding of positioning but both are about equal in their ability to play within the forechecking system used by the Canucks (and Utica). One think LaBate does bring is more toughness and willingness to be physical. Questionable as to has the most upside.

Shore is starting to look more solid. Might well be better than Chaput who is horribly misplaced on the line with the Sedins.

You wonder what the Canucks will do with all the fringe types RFAs/UFA forwards -Chaput (RFA), Skille (UFA), Megna (UFA) , Shore (RFA), Rodin (RFA), Gaunce (RFA), Cramarossa (RFA) , LaBate (RFA) . Would likely see Gaunce, Cramarossa, Chaput, LaBate back but the rest might be questionable.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Didn't think that Boeser skating and general movement would be as good as it has been. Little tentative but easily stays in the play and shows he is smart with the puck. Can see real upside here. Guy must be gassed after this weekend.

I've said it before, but the guy will be a Vrbata level skater, not the fastest, but not the slowest guy on your team. Also, like Vrbata, he can seem a bit floatie but will find himself in positions to score goals, whether that be in front of the net or open in the slot. He's a smart player that doesn't need to be a fast skater to be effective.

Boesers offensive positioning has always been one of his strongest qualities, and is what is going to make him an effective scorer in the NHL.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

I personally think the funniest thing about this is the really good play making center and play making winger, playing together with a plug.

It's mind blowing to me watching the team downward spiral and never bothering to separate the Sedins. Especially since they have lost their legs a bit, it's ludicrous to keep them together IMO.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
I personally think the funniest thing about this is the really good play making center and play making winger, playing together with a plug.

It's mind blowing to me watching the team downward spiral and never bothering to separate the Sedins. Especially since they have lost their legs a bit, it's ludicrous to keep them together IMO.

What the Sedins actually need are reduced ice-time and a versatile winger who knows how to get open. They also shouldn't be playing back-to-backs.

Due to the inability of their other winger, all season long, opponents are able to zero in on them.

Players like Sutter, Chaput, and Megna don't have the ability to draw defenders off of them. They stand still in the offensive zone, allowing the opposing team to outnumber the Sedins in the corners.

For whatever it's worth, Eriksson's Corsi with the Sedins is 53%, and Granlund's is 52%. Which is okay. Treading water, so to speak. Not world beating, but it shows they are still effective.

Another problem is Willy D's in-game management. The Sedins are at their best when they cycle through linemates throughout the game, to give them different looks to counter any changes opposing coaches might make toward containing them. Willy D sticks someone onto a line, and they stay stuck on that line.

One more problem is the Canucks' blueliners don't seem to be allowed much of a role in the Canucks' offense. They have such a reduced role in the Canucks' offense, the opposing team is able to sag off the blueline to collapse on the Sedins' cycle game, grinding it to a halt.

The last problem is the no-risk offense the team has to play. This seems to tie into the Sedins' line third forward generally not moving in the offensive zone, and also the defenders reduced role. But that's not the Sedins' game. They need their other winger (and the blueliners) to take risks, move into areas that aren't on the defensive side of the puck. While the trap offense has improved the team's overall defense, it's murdered any dynamism that exists on the team. Willy D's turned the Canucks' forwards into clones of Granlund.

What is galling is the inability of Willy D to mix things up. Benning has improved the Canucks pool of wingmen, but still Willy D went with Chaput on their line. He could've used any one of Eriksson, Boeser, Goldobin, or Boucher on their line to mix things up, and try to spark some life into the Sedins. He went with Chaput.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I don't think getting rid of them entirely helps, Horvat Sutter Gaunce Shore is pukeworthy, worst centre group in the jul by far, and I'd rather Benning not have $14m to sign two more Erikssons to replace them. Just cut their minutes and treat them like 2/3rd liners. At 16 mins per game you are going to get better play from the Sedins and more time for youngsters.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What the Sedins actually need are reduced ice-time and a versatile winger who knows how to get open. They also shouldn't be playing back-to-backs.

Due to the inability of their other winger, all season long, opponents are able to zero in on them.

Players like Sutter, Chaput, and Megna don't have the ability to draw defenders off of them. They stand still in the offensive zone, allowing the opposing team to outnumber the Sedins in the corners.

For whatever it's worth, Eriksson's Corsi with the Sedins is 53%, and Granlund's is 52%. Which is okay. Treading water, so to speak. Not world beating, but it shows they are still effective.

Another problem is Willy D's in-game management. The Sedins are at their best when they cycle through linemates throughout the game, to give them different looks to counter any changes opposing coaches might make toward containing them. Willy D sticks someone onto a line, and they stay stuck on that line.

One more problem is the Canucks' blueliners don't seem to be allowed much of a role in the Canucks' offense. They have such a reduced role in the Canucks' offense, the opposing team is able to sag off the blueline to collapse on the Sedins' cycle game, grinding it to a halt.

The last problem is the no-risk offense the team has to play. This seems to tie into the Sedins' line third forward generally not moving in the offensive zone, and also the defenders reduced role. But that's not the Sedins' game. They need their other winger (and the blueliners) to take risks, move into areas that aren't on the defensive side of the puck. While the trap offense has improved the team's overall defense, it's murdered any dynamism that exists on the team. Willy D's turned the Canucks' forwards into clones of Granlund.

What is galling is the inability of Willy D to mix things up. Benning has improved the Canucks pool of wingmen, but still Willy D went with Chaput on their line. He could've used any one of Eriksson, Boeser, Goldobin, or Boucher on their line to mix things up, and try to spark some life into the Sedins. He went with Chaput.

great post!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad