News Article: Jets’ Alex Burmistrov relieved he’s staying put

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bumping this up after Burmi's performance last night. I thought his line was consistently excellent, and his play was really solid. I liked the strong positive reinforcement that Noel gave him with lots of ice-time (including on the PP), and kudos in the post-game press conference.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Bumping this up after Burmi's performance last night. I thought his line was consistently excellent, and his play was really solid. I liked the strong positive reinforcement that Noel gave him with lots of ice-time (including on the PP), and kudos in the post-game press conference.

Says a lot when Noel consistently put out the third line immediately after Tampa Bay scored.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Says a lot when Noel consistently put out the third line immediately after Tampa Bay scored.

I think this really puts water on the whole "trade burmi/he's in the doghouse" fire.

Something to be said for having a line you can send out because you just want to control the puck for a minute or two to calm things down.

peg

Jul 8, 2010

It also says a lot when you put Burmi's line on to start the game. Noel's way of acknowledging that he really appreciates the job that Burmi and the boys are doing.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
It also says a lot when you put Burmi's line on to start the game. Noel's way of acknowledging that he really appreciates the job that Burmi and the boys are doing.

I also think it shows faith from him not just that they'll have a steady opening shift, and hustle, but that he sees them as a scoring threat, because they're doing the work, and creating the chances, just not always getting the bounces.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
gump, woodballs and sip sure have been quiet lately

i guess they realized that mittens isnt a superstar afterall, and burmi can play when he has linemates

the 21 year old "veteran" has been shutting up all his haters pretty well lately

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

i guess they realized that mittens isnt a superstar afterall, and burmi can play when he has linemates

the 21 year old "veteran" has been shutting up all his haters pretty well lately

You'll never see Mittens in a Jets uniform or NHL for that matter again.

Burmi has played well the past couple of games but still tends to overplay the puck and make the wrong decisions with it. A single goal and single assist in the last 9 games with a -2 rating isn't exactly tearing it up though, I doubt he will ever become a point producer in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Burmi has played well the past couple of games but still tends to overplay the puck and make the wrong decisions with it. A single goal and single assist in the last 9 games with a -2 rating isn't exactly tearing it up though, I doubt he will ever become a point producer in the NHL.

He might never be a big point producer in the NHL -- I'll take a Guy Carbonneau type any day, though. ;)

One shift last night reminded me why I like him as a young player. He went back and picked up the puck deep in his own corner, skated up ice, dumped it deep from just outside the blue line, went and retrieved it in the Tampa corner, and set up a full shift of domination in the Tampa zone with Santorelli and Tangradi.

He still makes plays that are perhaps a bit too "creative", but he is improving in that area. For me, the rest of his game more than makes up for it.

Oh, and I think they should consider having him as a designated "carry the puck and establish control in the offensive zone" guy on the PP. Most of our players are just awful at that.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
He might never be a big point producer in the NHL -- I'll take a Guy Carbonneau type any day, though. ;)

One shift last night reminded me why I like him as a young player. He went back and picked up the puck deep in his own corner, skated up ice, dumped it deep from just outside the blue line, went and retrieved it in the Tampa corner, and set up a full shift of domination in the Tampa zone with Santorelli and Tangradi.

He still makes plays that are perhaps a bit too "creative", but he is improving in that area. For me, the rest of his game more than makes up for it.

Oh, and I think they should consider having him as a designated "carry the puck and establish control in the offensive zone" guy on the PP. Most of our players are just awful at that.

I hope he never loses that, but gains the vision to do it at the right time.

That'll be the difference between being a great posession and shutdown forward, (which is still good) and becoming Datsyuk-Lite. (in style. Not necessarily in point-for-point production)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Never say never. Maybe he'll be McTavish's big splash into the UFA market. Him and Gomez at 4M per.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

I never said Miettinen was a superstar :facepalm:

I said Burmistrov is a good 3rd line center
He has a brutal shot and hand encased in concrete

Not my fault everyone is in love with his fancy dangles that end up doing nothing most of the time.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I never said Miettinen was a superstar :facepalm:

I said Burmistrov is a good 3rd line center
He has a brutal shot and hand encased in concrete

Not my fault everyone is in love with his fancy dangles that end up doing nothing most of the time.

Impressive to have both stone hands AND dangles.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Dangles = Hands
Shooting /=/ Dangling
but
Shooting also = Hands?

;)

Dangles = Mittens
Shooting = Hands

?

Wait, what? Anyways, really impressed with Burmi lately. Finally looks like progression out of him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Glad to see Burmi playing better on a 3rd line that looks good right now. he has the coach's trust and that is a positive thing......baby steps! A functional 3rd line has been a luxury in Winnipeg over the past two seasons so I will take it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am happy to see that the Burmistrov ship has righted itself somewhat. I remember how well he started the season and was hoping he could return to that.

I still long for the day when every time he is on the ice you get the feeling like a goal can be scored. Kinda like when LLW and Kane are out there.

Right now I feel safe that we won't get scored on when Burmi is out there but I don't get excited like a goal is imminent.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am happy to see that the Burmistrov ship has righted itself somewhat. I remember how well he started the season and was hoping he could return to that.

I still long for the day when every time he is on the ice you get the feeling like a goal can be scored. Kinda like when LLW and Kane are out there.

Right now I feel safe that we won't get scored on when Burmi is out there but I don't get excited like a goal is imminent.
That's why he needs to be out there with a sniper. He has shown the clear ability to push just about anybody (even Chris Thorburn) into the offensive zone and keep them there. Somebody with a little finish on his line would go a long way.

He has been finding some beauty passing seams lately too. It might be time to try him with Kane again soon.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That's why he needs to be out there with a sniper. He has shown the clear ability to push just about anybody (even Chris Thorburn) into the offensive zone and keep them there. Somebody with a little finish on his line would go a long way.

He has been finding some beauty passing seams lately too. It might be time to try him with Kane again soon.

Alex Burmistrov, the possession fixer-uper.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20#

After playing some time with Burmistrov, Tangradi and Santorelli now have the best possession Corsi after Burmsitrov, and best RelCorsi after Burmistrov and Ladd...

This isn't a one time fluke thing; Burmi pushed Thorburn into the first positive numbers of Thor's career (although they are slowly sliding down again).

WOWY Burmistrov
Name | TOIw/ | CF% | TOIw/o | CF%
Kane |191| 50| 477| 50
Antropov |146| 51| 359| 48
Ponikarovsky| 093| 59| 331| 54
Wellwood |087| 55| 329| 51
Tangradi |074| 60| 239| 49
Jokinen |062| 48| 530| 49
Ladd |050| 65| 551| 51
Thorburn |046| 57| 163| 50
Little |039| 57| 570| 49
Wheeler |028| 52| 581| 49
Santorelli |027| 64| 267| 50
Scheifele |018| 73| 024| 36
... those aren't small differences..... o_O

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Alex Burmistrov, the possession fixer-uper.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20#

After playing some time with Burmistrov, Tangradi and Santorelli now have the best possession Corsi after Burmsitrov, and best RelCorsi after Burmistrov and Ladd...

This isn't a one time fluke thing; Burmi pushed Thorburn into the first positive numbers of Thor's career (although they are slowly sliding down again).

WOWY Burmistrov
Name | TOIw/ | CF% | TOIw/o | CF%
Kane |191| 50| 477| 50
Antropov |146| 51| 359| 48
Ponikarovsky| 093| 59| 331| 54
Wellwood |087| 55| 329| 51
Tangradi |074| 60| 239| 49
Jokinen |062| 48 | 530| 49
Ladd |050| 65| 551| 51
Thorburn |046| 57| 163| 50
Little |039| 57| 570| 49
Wheeler |028| 52| 581| 49
Santorelli |027| 64| 267| 50
Scheifele |018| 73| 024| 36
... those aren't small differences..... o_O

Lol...not even Burmi can't help Jokinen. Seriously though...pretty astounding! If only Noel could figure out how to turn this into points.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Carbonneau was a 5 time 20 goal scorer. Don't think Burmi has that kind of scoring capability in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad