News Article: Jets’ Alex Burmistrov relieved he’s staying put

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Still don't think Burmistrov has it in him to score much more than 15 - 18 goals in a season. I don't see any consistency in his game and just doesn't shoot the damn puck enough.

I'll believe it when I see it and until then I don't see him becoming a consistent offense threat with the puck. He can dangle or at least attempt to and spin off checks etc along the boards, but doesn't accomplish much of anything statistically.

I don't think he'll ever be much of a goal scorer (although to think that he won't have some improvement there at such a young age is interesting...), but the bolded is already false.

He already is statistically the best player on the Jets for possession and scoring chances differentials.
He's not the finisher obviously, but when he's on the ice the rink becomes tilted in the Jets' favour.

Name | TOIw/ | CF% | TOIw/o | CF%
Kane |191| 50| 477| 50
Antropov |146| 51| 359| 48
Ponikarovsky| 093| 59| 331| 54
Wellwood |087| 55| 329| 51
Tangradi |074| 60| 239| 49
Jokinen |062| 48| 530| 49
Ladd |050| 65| 551| 51
Thorburn |046| 57| 163| 50
Little |039| 57| 570| 49
Wheeler |028| 52| 581| 49
Santorelli |027| 64| 267| 50
Scheifele |018| 73| 024| 36

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think he'll ever be much of a goal scorer (although to think that he won't have some improvement there at such a young age is interesting...), but the bolded is already false.

He already is statistically the best player on the Jets for possession and scoring chances differentials.
He's not the finisher obviously, but when he's on the ice the rink becomes tilted in the Jets' favour.

Put an ice tilter on a line with a couple of pure goal scorers and he becomes a setup guy by association, though.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
He was also 22 in his rookie season, and had a hugely inflated (for his own personal norm) sh%, which you can see his affects by actually creating more scoring chances in the next few seasons but never surpassing 20 goals.

I don't think we should throw out Blake's first season because of an anomalous shooting %, anymore than we can throw out this somewhat 'good' year for Burmistrov by virtue of a possibly anomalous Corsi rating.

All said, Blake to Burmistrov isn't a good comparison.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't think we should throw out Blake's first season because of an anomalous shooting %, anymore than we can throw out this somewhat 'good' year for Burmistrov by virtue of a possibly anomalous Corsi rating.

All said, Blake to Burmistrov isn't a good comparison.

Huh???
It's not throwing out, it's stating that that production isn't a good standard of Wheeler's abilities at the time.
You can actually do that...

One, there's a difference between progression where you have a directional trend and statistical anomaly where you can even see the huge blimp.
Two, that there is a difference between the two is the whole point to what stat people do with Corsi and sh%.

By it's very nature SH% tend to be hugely affected by natural variance due to sample sizes (20 goals versus over 1000 corsi events). The difference between the two is the whole reason and point to people using Corsi instead of +/-.

They aren't comparable stylistically and aren't likely to evolve into similar players, I agree with that.
But, if you ignore the inflation in Wheeler's 2008 year (both personal sh% and inflated 12%!!! On-Ice Sh% which only 3 players in the entire NHL had above in 2011-12), it shows that it can take a while for players to gain their offensive game.

In fact, when it comes to progression, players usually peak goalscoring at 23-25, followed by 2-4 years of plateau goalscoring with assists increasing (looking at per min or per game).

Now there is a chance that Burmistrov may end up in the worst-case-scenario and end up being stagnant... you don't assume the low percentage chance floor.
As they say: prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and expect something in the middle.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Eh? Blake scored 21 goals and 45 points in his rookie year in 2008. Statisticallly his absolute worst season, he still scored 38 points.

But Blake didnt really become an offensive force until last season, which was my point. I'm not saying their similar, just that some ayers take longer then others to really get it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Uncle Sip now on board with flipping Burmi for Jokinen. And I'm not even part of the HFBoards>Winnipeg Jets>Burmi Fan Club!;)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like Burmistrov. He just needs to adjust his game North/South to be an effective scorer in the NHL. He reminds a bit of Thomas Steen when he was first here and he became a North/South player is when he really became a great NHLer.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
But Blake didnt really become an offensive force until last season, which was my point. I'm not saying their similar, just that some ayers take longer then others to really get it.

IMHO he was pretty productive from the first year onward, and his time to peak (if that is what we are seeing) of 4 years, is kind of normal. But that's just me.

chuckcouples

Aug 4, 2011
Has there been any talk about a new Burmistrov contract? What are the chances that instead he leaves for the KHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad