GDT: JET IN @ HURRICANE

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Justin Williams all the stars:

Patrik Laine painted - Teuvo Teräväinen, a high-performance actor, stole the show

Teuvo Teräväinen (left) and Justin Williams led the way for Carolina.
Teuvo Teräväinen (left) and Justin Williams led the way for Carolina.

Photo: USA Today Sports
Ice
Published: 5:11
Carolina toppled Winnipeg in the encounter with the Finnish stars. Sharp scored and scored two.

The Finns were strongly present in the encounter between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Winnipeg Jets.

The game was a scuffle in the home side's power over the home team after 5 minutes, making it 2-0. Teuvo Teräväinen found Justin Willimas in the paint, who guided him through the reel.

In less than a minute, Williams's Patrik Laine fired a free-kick from close range and raised the visitors again.

The finish was 17th for Laine. He also hit in the last match.

Carolina, however, took the lead again in the opening two sets, as Sebastian Aho provided a back pass to his chain mate Teräväinen, who cheered on a 3-1 lead.

The quarterback Williams, 38, after returning from his second match, sealed the evening's final set in a 4-1 final. The goal was scored by Teräväinen, who collected 1 + 2.

Williams was selected as the number one and second star in the match.

After starting his more than a week long stint, Carolina rose to victory over the knockout line in the Eastern Conference's top midfield.

Winnipeg's downhill, on the other hand, is deepening. The team, which has been performing poorly for a long time, has lost five of its previous six matches. It has slipped to the ninth in the west. There are three points to the difference in the playoffs.

Carolinan Erik Haula was offside. The cause of the search for the search of the search was not clear.

Winnipeg's Kristian Vesalainen, who was recently promoted for the first time this season by the Jets' NHL crew, followed the match.

The Jets will still play their last match in Columbus on Wednesday night Thursday night before the holidays. Vesa will probably be in the lineup then.
I know it would take you, like, a month to write -- but I would love to see a deep analysis of what was actually meant in the original article, and why the terrible translation is so terrible. Seems like many of the machine translation pairs have gotten much better, but Finnish->English still stubbornly resists comprehensibility.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
[QUOTE="Navin R Slavin, post: 169455679, member: 114634"]I know it would take you, like, a month to write -- but I would love to see a deep analysis of what was actually meant in the original article, and why the terrible translation is so terrible. Seems like many of the machine translation pairs have gotten much better, but Finnish->English still stubbornly resists comprehensibility.[/QUOTE]

I second this. @Lempo can you at least correctly translate the part about Williams being both 1st and 2nd star as well as "The cause of the search for the search of the search was not clear" that was pointed out earlier? No Canes game for 9 more days means there is nothing to distract me from wondering what in the world the writer actually said.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I know it would take you, like, a month to write -- but I would love to see a deep analysis of what was actually meant in the original article, and why the terrible translation is so terrible. Seems like many of the machine translation pairs have gotten much better, but Finnish->English still stubbornly resists comprehensibility.

Given the discussion in the other thread, it seems like the cause of the search for the search of the search will be key to determining our trade deadline strategy.

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
@Navin R Slavin @Primetime8

A by-hand human translation (as human as I can be):

Patrik Laine scored a goal – Teuvo Teravainen collecting points a galore stole the show

Teuvo Teravainen and Justin Williams led Carolina to victory. (IMAGE)

Carolina toppled Winnipeg in the match-up of the Finn stars. Teravainen scored a goal and assisted two.

The Finns were heavily on the forefront in the match between Carolina Hurricanes and Winnipeg Jets.

The game started with a ban, when the home team Carolina went up 2-0 after a little over five minutes of game. Teuvo Teravainen found Justin Williams at the goal who guided to puck in on the power play.

Less than a minute after Williams’ bullseye Patrik Laine got to shoot an assist coming from the rink end freely in from the close distance and brought the visitor up to be one goal short.

The goal was the 17th of the season for Laine. He scored also in the previous game.
Nevertheless, still in the opening period Carolina went on to be two goals ahead, when Sebastian Aho served a sweet assist from behind the goal to his linemate Teravanen, who tipped in the 3-1 goal.

The veteran forward Williams, 38, playing the second game after his return, sealed the night with his second (goal) to the final result of 4-1 in the final period. The preparations for the goal were done by Teravainen collecting 1+2.

Williams was selected the first (start) and Teravainen the second star.

Carolina starting their week+ long All Star break rised again above the playoffs line within the super even middle group in the Eastern Conference.

Winnipeg’s downhill on the other hand is getting steeper. The team that has performed mellowly for a while now has lost five of their six last games. It has slipped down to ninth in the West. They are separated from a playoffs spot by three points.

Carolina’s Erik Haula was scratched from the game. The reason for why Haula got commanded to the stands didn’t come out.

Also watching the game from the audience was Winnipeg’s Kristian Vesalainen, who was brought up recently to the NHL roster for the first time this season.

Jets will still play in the night between Wednesday and Thurdsday in Columbus their last game before the off week,. Vesalainen will probably be in the playing roster that time.

The original article: Patrik Laine maalasi - huipputehot kerännyt Teuvo Teräväinen varasti show'n

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Analysis:

- For some reason the Google Translate is completely blind for the ice-hockey context of the text, and will use English non-hockey translations for the Finnish hockey vocabulary: paint (goal), chain (line), reel (puck). Points especially are "efficiency points" in Finnish, oft shortened to "efficiency" in Finnish presentations and translated to 'power' and somesuch in English.

- Teravainen, a word naturally existing only as the name of the Teravainen (~Sharpling), seems to be especially hard for machine translation and will occasionally be completely skipped, making Williams an all-stars player in this case.

- The grammatical musts for the Finnish word order are non-existant: as the words are inflected, the meaning of every word and their role in a sentence is easily understood without the base form word having to be in the exact correct place in the sentence. You can start the sentence, or a subordinate clause within one, with the object so you can finish a part of the sentence with a subject and continue on a secondary part of the sentence.

- The Participle. The damn Finns will add full subordinate clauses into a sentence by relying on the particible, which works in Finnish but would need another "who is" "that is" structure to be understandable in English: "The puck was put in by Williams playing his second game after return whose absence for the start of the season has been..."

If there are some particular WTF sentences you wish cleared up from what dark place they came from, please point out and I'll have an in-depth go. It's hard for me to pick them up on my own, as I already have the behind-the-stage view and the mystery is not there for me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Quality of competition plays a role. In the period after the Western Canadian road trip and before this stretch, the team gave up ~4.13 GA/G. If you look at the current GF/G rank of the opponents in that sample, it went 1, 4, 9, 5, 16, 5, 3 and 15 (~7.25 mean). In this sample, they've given up 1.29 GA/G against 22, 29, 5, 24, 30, 21 and 20 (~24.7 mean).

Good, albeit a bit unsettling, point. When I look at it by div and conf:

vs. Metro:
Reimer: 3-3-0, 3.13 GAA, .886 SV%
Mrazek: 2-7-1, 3.34 GAA, .867 SV%

vs. East:
Reimer: 6-5-0, 2.96GAA, .904 SV%
Mrazek: 9-10-1, 3.13 GAA, .882 SV%

vs. West:
Reimer: 5-1-1, 1.73 GAA, .945 SV%
Mrazek: 9-2-1, 1.65 GAA, .942 SV%

Basically, both the skaters and goalies have made hay against the west so far.

Canes have 11 games left against the west, and 2 of them are against STL: (VGN, VAN, STL, AZ, VGN, DAL, EDM, NSH, DAL, COL, STL)
Canes have 21 games left against the east.
Canes have 12 games left against the Metro.

Time for the Canes to put the big boy pants on.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Good, albeit a bit unsettling, point. When I look at it by div and conf:

vs. Metro:
Reimer: 3-3-0, 3.13 GAA, .886 SV%
Mrazek: 2-7-1, 3.34 GAA, .867 SV%

vs. East:
Reimer: 6-5-0, 2.96GAA, .904 SV%
Mrazek: 9-10-1, 3.13 GAA, .882 SV%

vs. West:
Reimer: 5-1-1, 1.73 GAA, .945 SV%
Mrazek: 9-2-1, 1.65 GAA, .942 SV%

Basically, both the skaters and goalies have made hay against the west so far.

Canes have 11 games left against the west, and 2 of them are against STL: (VGN, VAN, STL, AZ, VGN, DAL, EDM, NSH, DAL, COL, STL)
Canes have 21 games left against the east.
Canes have 12 games left against the Metro.

Time for the Canes to put the big boy pants on.
Seeing as how we always shit the bed against the Metro, probably should just settle for our big kid pull-ups...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad