GDT: JET IN @ HURRICANE

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Williams Scores Two as Canes Defeat Jets 4-1
by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
The Hurricanes were well-aware of the dangers of the final game before an extended break. They wanted to guard against having one foot (or skate) out of the rink and on a beach by focusing on the task at hand.
"Guys know they have a nice break, but we've got to get the job done," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said before the game. "We've just got to make sure we do our job to give us the best chance to win."
Led by a pair of goals from Justin Williams, the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1, in their final game before All-Star Weekend.Martin Necas and Teuvo Teravainen also found the back of the net for the Canes in their 29th win.
"He's a good player. He obviously had a good game tonight and came up with some big goals for us, which we needed," Brind'Amour said. "He knows how to play. I don't care how old you are. If you know how to play and you know where to go, that's kind of what he does."
Williams downplayed his pair of goals - "Things just kind of ended up on my stick tonight. I was the beneficiary of a couple really great passes," he said - but he's not in position to put those pucks in the net without his veteran hockey acumen or a little bit of conditioning, too. That's a credit to the work he put in behind the scenes to make this as seamless of a transition as possible. And it's like he never even left.
"I'm feeling comfortable and better than I did last game," he said.
Andrei Svechnikov and Mark Scheifele tussled to the ground and each received two minutes for roughing. That was that for then, but Scheifele wanted more. Later in the period, Scheifele cross-checked Brett Pesce in the slot. Petr Mrazek poked at and tripped Scheifele before Pesce came back at him with some additional stick work. The two then dropped the gloves in what was Pesce's 1st NHL fight.
"Our guys kind of answered the bell, too," Brind'Amour said. "That's a little old school. Nothing wrong with that."
Recap: Williams Scores Two as Canes Defeat Jets

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Jesus, Jerry and Joseph, I almost reported this post for savagery

Savage Department This Is Randy Speaking.jpeg

BUT of course, facts are facts.

grats to you, ya damn bum-hunters.

I wish we were the team that savagely predated on .550 teams. But, we ain't. But, you are. So. keep on keeping on, ya bastiches. And well talk about statistical disparities come late may, when there's some banco on your backs. ;)

Sorry for being 'that guy'. good luck to you and my friend's ghost would appreciate that I got yer backs ^.^

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Took me a few reads too.

50 games into the season.

13 skaters have played in every game.

Apparently that's a record. Either way it's impressive.

It's a testament to Brind'Amour being a fitness freak and carrying that trait over to his players. It has led to the vast majority of our team this year being total iron men, including a guy who had back issues in the season prior to this one (Gardiner). It's really cool to watch, and I can only imagine what the Canes' average fitness routine looks like next year with noted bodybuilder's son Julien Gauthier in the gym with Rod.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Our record against the west is pretty impressive. It’s also the only reason we are in 4th instead of fighting the Rangers for 6th. 14-3-1 this season, if I count right. 77.8 win percentage or 80.5 point percentage

The schedule bodes well for a good run post break. We need one too.

knights
Canucks
at blues
at Coyotes
at knights
at dallas
nj
Edmonton
at Nashville

A 80.5 point percentage would add another 13 points (12.88). And how do we fair against the metro bottom dwellers? Im not sure that we get 80% of the points because a lot those games are toss up games. We need to keep the western mojo going because the schedule is going to get nasty.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Speaking of Atlanta I'm going there in a few weeks. And by going there I mean driving through. And by driving through I mean sitting in traffic. And by sitting in traffic I mean playing on my phone until the traffic moves. And by the traffic moving I mean never.

I actually work for a company based just outside of Atlanta and I avoid going to head office as much as possible for that very reason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In the 7 games since Reimer's bad performance against Philly (where the team still won), the Canes goalies are:

Mrazek: 4 games, .938sv%, 1.54 GAA
Reimer: 3 games, .971sv%, 0.96 GAA
Combined: 7 games, .955sv%, 1.29 GAA

The team is 4-2-1 in that stretch.

Hot streak? Team playing better, more conservative D in front of them? Finding their groove? Luck?

Let's hope it continues as it would be nice to see a run of goaltending like we saw from Mrazek in the 2nd half last year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In the 7 games since Reimer's bad performance against Philly (where the team still won), the Canes goalies are:

Hot streak? Team playing better, more conservative D in front of them? Finding their groove? Luck?

Let's hope it continues as it would be nice to see a run of goaltending like we saw from Mrazek in the 2nd half last year.

It’s because they signed Williams stupid. He leadershipped them into making several f***ing saves.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Combined 1.29 and there’s two losses and one OT loss. They should have played better. Smh

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

I AM GOING TO USE THIS POST AS A BLUNT INSTRUMENT WITH WHICH I SHALL BASH THESE FACTS INTO SOME PEOPLE SO HARD IT WILL BE INGRAINED INTO THEIR CEREBRAL CORTEX FOR YEARS IF NOT DECADES TO COME.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad