Prospect Info: Jesse Ylönen - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'll never understand why these kinds of little deals get people so worked up. These types of contracts for lower-tier prospects/depth players are basically all implied by the CBA and are heavily dependent on age/arbitration status for players who haven't separated themselves from the pack like Caufield. There are dozens of Jesse Ylonens around the NHL and they all pretty much sign two-way deals for 1 or 2 years around 800k as they have no arbitration rights and don't really have bargaining power for anything more.
Why sign Pezzetta
They gave him something like 50k more than league minimum to be a 12/13/14th forward who fights a little. He's two years older than Ylonen, and had arbitration rights so had more power to get a contract like that in arbitration based on his NHL GP and points so they gave him 2 years slightly above the minimum to be a good locker room guy and a 12/13th forward goon. It has nothing to do with Ylonen.
why give Primeau that deal
Because he isn't and wasn't NHL ready, they still believed in his potential, so they gave him a 1-way deal to discourage other teams from claiming him on waivers. Primeau was also willing to accept it, we don't know if Ylonen would accept a similar 3 year contract, and in Ylonen's position, I would not accept that kind of deal and place a hard ceiling on my earnings in year 2 & 3.
same with RHP,
RHP is a year older than Ylonen, had arbitration rights and would have had a decent case with 20P in 34 games this year, and was better as an NHLer than Ylonen. Team and player compromised on a 2 year deal that gives Harvey-Pinard a little more money than he's "earned" but would represent a discount for the team if he lives up to last season.
why play hard ball with Ylonen and not the others.
We have no indication they played hardball with Ylonen. For all we know the Habs wanted to give him 2 years and Ylonen was the one that insisted on a 1 year deal that would take him to arbitration and/or set him up for a bigger extension if he has a good year. This is a completely normal contract and process. Here is a list of RFAs that signed 2-way deals, there are dozens and dozens of these contracts around the league.

The deal being 2-way isn't even necessarily a bad thing for Ylonen since it's only one year. It means that if he's placed on waivers he's far more likely to get claimed and might get a chance with another team if the Habs don't have room to use him since his AHL salary would be lower if it didn't work out on that second team. On a 1-way deal he'd be much more likely to clear waivers and play in the AHL like Primeau if the Habs decided to waive him (which I don't expect them to do, but it's still a possibility).
It's obvious they see very little longterm upside in Ylonen with the terms of this signing. In their eyes he is a redundant player and they don't see him in any way as part of the Habs future. That's why I think Ylonen should have gone home and played a year or two waiting for UFA status.
No it's not. It's certainly possible they don't see him as a long term piece but this contract gives us zero indication to that effect. All it tells us is that one or both of the two parties were not ready to sign something for 2-3 years or longer so they agreed to go for 1 year and evaluate again next summer. Signing a 2 year deal wouldn't have really indicated anything different, RHP and Pezzetta's contracts certainly don't indicate the Habs see them as long-term core pieces either, they just had better bargaining power so they got slightly better deals.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I'll never understand why these kinds of little deals get people so worked up. These types of contracts for lower-tier prospects/depth players are basically all implied by the CBA and are heavily dependent on age/arbitration status for players who haven't separated themselves from the pack like Caufield. There are dozens of Jesse Ylonens around the NHL and they all pretty much sign two-way deals for 1 or 2 years around 800k as they have no arbitration rights and don't really have bargaining power for anything more.

They gave him something like 50k more than league minimum to be a 12/13/14th forward who fights a little. He's two years older than Ylonen, and had arbitration rights so had more power to get a contract like that in arbitration based on his NHL GP and points so they gave him 2 years slightly above the minimum to be a good locker room guy and a 12/13th forward goon. It has nothing to do with Ylonen.

Because he isn't and wasn't NHL ready, they still believed in his potential, so they gave him a 1-way deal to discourage other teams from claiming him on waivers. Primeau was also willing to accept it, we don't know if Ylonen would accept a similar 3 year contract, and in Ylonen's position, I would not accept that kind of deal and place a hard ceiling on my earnings in year 2 & 3.

RHP is a year older than Ylonen, had arbitration rights and would have had a decent case with 20P in 34 games this year, and was better as an NHLer than Ylonen. Team and player compromised on a 2 year deal that gives Harvey-Pinard a little more money than he's "earned" but would represent a discount for the team if he lives up to last season.

We have no indication they played hardball with Ylonen. For all we know the Habs wanted to give him 2 years and Ylonen was the one that insisted on a 1 year deal that would take him to arbitration and/or set him up for a bigger extension if he has a good year. This is a completely normal contract and process. Here is a list of RFAs that signed 2-way deals, there are dozens and dozens of these contracts around the league.

The deal being 2-way isn't even necessarily a bad thing for Ylonen since it's only one year. It means that if he's placed on waivers he's far more likely to get claimed and might get a chance with another team if the Habs don't have room to use him since his AHL salary would be lower if it didn't work out on that second team. On a 1-way deal he'd be much more likely to clear waivers and play in the AHL like Primeau if the Habs decided to waive him (which I don't expect them to do, but it's still a possibility).

No it's not. It's certainly possible they don't see him as a long term piece but this contract gives us zero indication to that effect. All it tells us is that one or both of the two parties were not ready to sign something for 2-3 years or longer so they agreed to go for 1 year and evaluate again next summer. Signing a 2 year deal wouldn't have really indicated anything different, RHP and Pezzetta's contracts certainly don't indicate the Habs see them as long-term core pieces either, they just had better bargaining power so they got slightly better deals.
Now who's' all worked up.lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
As I stated negotiating is a two way street. Ylonen might have wanted the 1 year deal as a prove it deal and cash in faster, he may have figured lower AAV helps his case to make the team too.

Pezzetta has been around for 2 seasons and did show some progression in his game. He's also been healthy scratched for long stretches and didn't pout about it. Team value him and so do other teams too. Longer term will always turn off other teams from putting in a claim. Same logic for Primeau. For RHP, that's the type of deal you do. RHP is more of a lock to make team than Ylonen at this stage despite former not requiring waivers.
Hope you don't have to repeat yourself again because this is as simple as it gets lmao.

Some people must not be happy that it's monday and are deciding to take it out on Hugo instead :sarcasm:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Seen him play in the NHL and he should be playing with other talent,not grinding type of players.I don't watch AHL hockey for obvious reasons but his lack of effort might be an attitude problem,perhaps he feels he should be used in a manner that he is not?.don't know,lets see how it plays out.
You seem very interested in prospects so I'd highly recommend watching Laval. Anyway, ylonen plays a top role in Laval, so it's got nothing to do do with how he's used. When I say lack of effort, I'm not talking about a handful of nhl games, I'm talking his ahl games.
I do agree that offensive minded players shouldn't be relegated to the 4th line, and I'm not sure that is happening with MSL. However, if Ylonen does make it, it's probably 3rd line at best for him. He's not displacing the top 6 or 7 forwards on this team.

Reactions: Rapala

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Ylonen is in a weird spot where he's actually a talented player who utilizes his tools well but he's pretty soft on a team with a lot of similar players/prospects coming up. I have a hard time seeing him sticking around with us if he doesn't break through offensively or show something more defensively.

I think he's 100% an NHL caliber player but he doesn't really have a good role with us atm, he's not a bottom 6 player and he hasn't shown enough to be a top 6 player. If he can be solid defensively while chipping in offensively he might end up being a good middle 6 player (Engvall type). I don't know if he has that in him tho, I think he's a pure top 6 offensive player.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think he's 100% an NHL caliber player but he doesn't really have a good role with us atm, he's not a bottom 6 player and he hasn't shown enough to be a top 6 player. If he can be solid defensively while chipping in offensively he might end up being a good middle 6 player (Engvall type). I don't know if he has that in him tho, I think he's a pure top 6 offensive player.
His future probably depends on the shape of our eventual third line. He'd be a great fit on a sheltered offensive 3rd line but if it ends up being a matchup line the fit is awkward unless he takes a jump to become a legitimate top 6 forward.

I guess he could stick around as well on a "2nd" line given the Habs are probably going to be more of a top 9 + a sacrificial defensive 4th line team rather than a more conventional top 6 + checking 3rd line + energy 4th line type of build, he'd fit in a middle six in that eventuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad