Prospect Info: Jesse Ylönen - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I like Pez, but he gets a 2 year deal and Ylonen doesn't?

This doesn't bode well for the opportunities Ylonen will get. Kid needs to play to get reps in and get comfortable at the NHL level. Even with his limited usage he scored at about a 35 points pace over 82 games. He can't get that up to 40 points with a regular shift?
Dude can't even get his own signing thread!

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
It's a great deal for the habs, but I worry about what this means for the roster construction this year. He was really solid with Evans and Gallagher at the end of the season, and seems like the perfect 4th line to ice this year. Get him some PP2 minutes and I feel like he'll be way more useful already than some of the vets who seem prioritized over him.

He already looks like a decent bottom 6 utility player, with opportunity to grow into more. We should be exploring it this season which will likely be focused on development

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I would have gone back to Europe before accepting a 2 way deal. Obviously the Habs care very little about this player.

That would be a pretty bad decision.
Going to Europe would greatly diminish Ylonen's chance of ever becoming an NHL player.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yolo is one really good camp away from making it IMO. We have a few bottom 6 vets on shaky legs and the staff got to see half a season of him where he didn't look out of place last year. I'm guessing Marty likes him too or at least has a favorable opinion .

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Going to Europe would greatly diminish Ylonen's chance of ever becoming an NHL player.
It just frustrates me the low level of respect he has gotten. I know management knows best but they gave Primeau a 3 year one way deal and Pezzetta a 2 year one way deal?

Reactions: rik schau

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I like Pez, but he gets a 2 year deal and Ylonen doesn't?

This doesn't bode well for the opportunities Ylonen will get. Kid needs to play to get reps in and get comfortable at the NHL level. Even with his limited usage he scored at about a 35 points pace over 82 games. He can't get that up to 40 points with a regular shift?
Maybe Ylonen did not want 2 years at a low rate like Pezetta.

It just frustrates me the low level of respect he has gotten. I know management knows best but they gave Primeau a 3 year one way deal and Pezzetta a 2 year one way deal?
Primeau is a special case because we needed a 3rd goalie under contract. The 2 more years 1-way discourages teams from claiming him, but is still zero cap hit if waived.

Pezzetta accepted 2 cheap years. Ylonen took only one, and can go to arbitration next year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure about that. He needs to play, and play at the highest possible level.

Habs may keep him as 13th or 14th forward rather than lose him on waivers...

The AHL is fine to develop in. But it would be crazy to me if we put him on waivers and no one claimed him.

Reactions: morhilane and Tyson

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's a great deal for the habs, but I worry about what this means for the roster construction this year. He was really solid with Evans and Gallagher at the end of the season, and seems like the perfect 4th line to ice this year. Get him some PP2 minutes and I feel like he'll be way more useful already than some of the vets who seem prioritized over him.

He already looks like a decent bottom 6 utility player, with opportunity to grow into more. We should be exploring it this season which will likely be focused on development
It's not Hoffman or Armia who are prioritized, it's all the injured players coming back that push him and RHP down the lineup.

I predict Ylonen stays and Heineman, Farrell and Roy start in Laval.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I'm beginning to wonder if in fact they do. Some of the thngs they have done makes me scratch my heads.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm not sure about that. He needs to play, and play at the highest possible level.

Habs may keep him as 13th or 14th forward rather than lose him on waivers...

The AHL is fine to develop in. But it would be crazy to me if we put him on waivers and no one claimed him.
You can almost bet that the Finnish Mafia (Carolina) would grab him.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Waited this long to still only get a 2 way deal, so they see him as a dime a dozen AHLer
I've watched him since day 1 pretty much every game. He could be a 20 goal guy in the NHL, but could just as easily not play regularly. He's very inconsistent and if he's not scoring, you barely know he's playing. I want every prospect to excel, but the hype is very high for him. Don't hold your breath.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Why sign Pezzetta,why give Primeau that deal,same with RHP,why play hard ball with Ylonen and not the others.
As I stated negotiating is a two way street. Ylonen might have wanted the 1 year deal as a prove it deal and cash in faster, he may have figured lower AAV helps his case to make the team too.

Pezzetta has been around for 2 seasons and did show some progression in his game. He's also been healthy scratched for long stretches and didn't pout about it. Team value him and so do other teams too. Longer term will always turn off other teams from putting in a claim. Same logic for Primeau. For RHP, that's the type of deal you do. RHP is more of a lock to make team than Ylonen at this stage despite former not requiring waivers.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Why sign Pezzetta,why give Primeau that deal,same with RHP,why play hard ball with Ylonen and not the others.
It's obvious they see very little longterm upside in Ylonen with the terms of this signing. In their eyes he is a redundant player and they don't see him in any way as part of the Habs future. That's why I think Ylonen should have gone home and played a year or two waiting for UFA status.

Reactions: rik schau

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
As I stated negotiating is a two way street. Ylonen might have wanted the 1 year deal as a prove it deal and cash in faster, he may have figured lower AAV helps his case to make the team too.

Pezzetta has been around for 2 seasons and did show some progression in his game. He's also been healthy scratched for long stretches and didn't pout about it. Team value him and so do other teams too. Longer term will always turn off other teams from putting in a claim. Same logic for Primeau. For RHP, that's the type of deal you do. RHP is more of a lock to make team than Ylonen at this stage despite former not requiring waivers.
Ylonen ''might have'' so you don't know what transpired then right? seems like a slap in the face. Who negotiates for a 2 way contract?
If Pezzetta and RHP are in your lineup,then you're not a contending team. Both of them are fringe players and easily replaced. Primeau has sucked every chance he's had.Ylonen has more talent than those others yet he gets the show me deal? Good for you getting it, but I'll just question decisions until they show that they know what they are doing. Have a jolly one!

It's obvious they see very little longterm upside in Ylonen with the terms of this signing. In their eyes he is a redundant player and they don't see him in any way as part of the Habs future. That's why I think Ylonen should have gone home and played a year or two waiting for UFA status.
Yes it does seem rather obvious,won't be surprised he asks for a trade or something.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Ylonen ''might have'' so you don't know what transpired then right? seems like a slap in the face. Who negotiates for a 2 way contract?
If Pezzetta and RHP are in your lineup,then you're not a contending team. Both of them are fringe players and easily replaced. Primeau has sucked every chance he's had.Ylonen has more talent than those others yet he gets the show me deal? Good for you getting it, but I'll just question decisions until they show that they know what they are doing. Have a jolly one!

Yes it does seem rather obvious,won't be surprised he asks for a trade or something.
How much have you watched Ylonen play? He lacks effort and he is not better than RHP. I've seen pretty much every Laval game. Sometimes you never even hear Ylonens name. He doesn't play with enough fire or effort to be a regular nhler. Pretty good speed. Hard shot. He's the Hoffman of the ahl.

Reactions: HabzSauce

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
How much have you watched Ylonen play? He lacks effort and he is not better than RHP. I've seen pretty much every Laval game. Sometimes you never even hear Ylonens name. He doesn't play with enough fire or effort to be a regular nhler. Pretty good speed. Hard shot. He's the Hoffman of the ahl.
Seen him play in the NHL and he should be playing with other talent,not grinding type of players.I don't watch AHL hockey for obvious reasons but his lack of effort might be an attitude problem,perhaps he feels he should be used in a manner that he is not?.don't know,lets see how it plays out.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
He may be seen as a former regime pick. Sometimes these fall out of favor when there's a new management.

But I think they will give him all the chances in the world at camp. If he shows good flashes they will keep him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Armia, Hoffman and Pitlick waived before him in the hope someone would take them and facilitate their decision.

But if he falters, other teams will notice too and might look at other wire pickups amongst the plethora of options before they truly consider him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad