Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part XII | The King of the Bison Now Needs to Conquer Goalies Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not really sure why people are expecting more offense. Without much special teams, he's relying on 5v5 production and so far it seems pretty reasonable to me.

36068fe1ec36a7f8aaffdbf634a2d3d5.png

Despite the big improvement at 5v5, they still don't light the world on fire there offensively.

A guy like Kane who is probably a $7M+ player without the baggage is scoring at a 38 5v5 point pace over an 82 game season while Pulju is pacing at 32 points. Some people seem to talk about him like he's on pace for 10 points while everyone else in the top6 is on pace for 80.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think they could get him for 4 years in the 3-3.5 range right now.
Indeed why would you go longer at this point? Pulju turning 24, why would a team invest 8yr contract to a player that is still somewhat unknown, still developing. That would take more coin to sign, and not clear there would be cap savings on it. I think 4 yrs sounds about right range and more contiguous with McDrai contracts after which we're clearly in another rebuild situation anyway.

Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's if he even improves. A Nurse contract means he will be a 85+ point player at minimum lol. Not a chance. Unless he magically improves his hockey IQ, Puck Poise, balance, and shot very quickly.

Even if he doesn't improve, you're bridging a player right to UFA.

Hopefully Holland isn't dumb enough to do that twice.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
If Jesse is signed to a 2 year bridge deal he'll play it out as 25-27 year old, aka in his prime. We may very well end up regretting not signing Pulju long term cheap when we had the change.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Deserves mention that Jesse has already had substantive severe hip injuries even as a young player that have hampered him. Not positive what longterm prognosis would be for such a player with this injury history that plays a physical role in a very physical game and that has to be physically imposing to be effective. Again I would think any more than 4yrs contract is not of value in this situation, and to be avoided.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Really starting to think that if fans like Bobby and Drivesaitl don't appreciate Jesse's game, maybe it is best for all parties that he's bridged right into being an UFA.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Only forwards with more 5on5 goals than Jesse are McDrai, Hyman and Yamamoto.

And Kane when you factor the time he's been wth the club.

So thats the whole top 6. You also can't compare that to anyone in the bottom 6.

I know you intended that stat to be flattering but it really isn't in when in context

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If I was Pulju's agent I would certainly push for a 2 year bridge deal.

A two year bridge works for Oilers too. We get out of Sekera and Lucic's dead cap, Smith's contract, Keith's contract, Foegele's contract, Kassian's contract, Barrie's contract... and only have one year left paying Neal.

The only RFA (after this summer) that we need to worry about during that time is Bouchard. We'll also have Holloway and perhaps Petrov, Lavoie, Savoie all pushing for time. It's a great time to sign a 25 year old Puljujarvi to a mid-long term Hyman type deal (at most). The "draft order" shine will have worn off, and unless he's a 70+ point guy, the contract will be pretty reasonable and low risk for ages 26-30. Perfect for a 6-year cap-lowering deal.

If we can just manufacture a goalie... sigh.

Reactions: harpoon

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020

So thats the whole top 6. You also can't compare that to anyone in the bottom 6.

I know you intended that stat to be flattering but it really isn't in when in context
Kane is a 7 million dollar goal scorer. Pulju hasn't scored a ton, but it's not like everybody else is setting the world on fire. Pulju has a lot more to offer besides scoring, which is universally noticed by everybody but you.

Reactions: PulYou

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Deserves mention that Jesse has already had substantive severe hip injuries even as a young player that have hampered him. Not positive what longterm prognosis would be for such a player with this injury history that plays a physical role in a very physical game and that has to be physically imposing to be effective. Again I would think any more than 4yrs contract is not of value in this situation, and to be avoided.

It wasn't an injury though, it was something he was born with that required a relatively minor operation to correct on both sides. As far as I know hasn't been an issue at all since.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Wasnt his hip surgery to fix a congenital problem??

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Except RNH, who we just signed to 5+ million forever.

Puljujarvi also missed 13 games.

He does need to get better at finishing, no doubt, but he's a very valuable player.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Jesus Christ people. Calm down about Jesse. He’s young, big, fast, defensively responsible, and he’s a puck possession/forechecking fking wizard. We’ll see what kind of finisher he becomes, but at worst we’ve got an extremely useful young player here. How about less bitching and whining about what he can’t do, and enjoy all the good he is doing. He makes every line he plays on better. And that’s a measurable fact. If we can sign him long term now on the cheap, we’d be smart to do so.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If Jesse is signed to a 2 year bridge deal he'll play it out as 25-27 year old, aka in his prime. We may very well end up regretting not signing Pulju long term cheap when we had the change.

What are you expectations during that timeframe? (by the way he'd be 24 in season 1 and 25 in season two, not 25-27)

I've sorta given up on the 70 point winger and I expect him to be (at most) a solid two-way 50-60 point guy if healthy. Chances are he'll miss a few games here or there and end up being a 50ish point guy.

That's a solid guy to lock up, but an easy one to sign even in two years. He'd be worth somewhere 5-6M like Hyman.

I guess I don't see any "sky is the limit" risk here. His upside potential is visible and it isn't orders of magnitude more than he is today. He isn't going to price himself out of Edmonton in two years. No way.

On the flip side, if we invest north of $5M today (where I argue we don't need to), it's going to curtail our flexibility in the next two years (while we dig ourselves out of bad contracts and dead cap).

Sometimes the advantage of developing our own talent (make no mistake, Jesse is one) is that you have the advantage of slow-playing it. I would not force the issue on a long term deal now. If team-friendly... great, otherwise be patient.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jesus Christ people. Calm down about Jesse. He’s young, big, fast, defensively responsible, and he’s a puck possession/forechecking fking wizard. We’ll see what kind of finisher he becomes, but at worst we’ve got an extremely useful young player here. How about less bitching and whining about what he can’t do, and enjoy all the good he is doing. He makes every line he plays on better. And that’s a measurable fact. If we can sign him long term now on the cheap, we’d be smart to do so.

That's exactly why you go long term now.

one summer with a shooting/skills coach and the guy will score 25-30 goals in his sleep. It would be wise to extend him long term before he does so.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really starting to think that if fans like Bobby and Drivesaitl don't appreciate Jesse's game, maybe it is best for all parties that he's bridged right into being an UFA.
I'm positive in almost all my posts regarding Pulju and most posters here know this. However Jesse, objectively, is terrible at scoring goals. Only the presence of Kane on the club has disguised this shortcoming this season, which is likely a short term fix. The reality here, is if Jesse is pencilled in to be constant topsix here, with generational players, we need him scoring some goals.

Reactions: LaGu

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
What are you expectations during that timeframe? (by the way he'd be 24 in season 1 and 25 in season two, not 25-27)

I've sorta given up on the 70 point winger and I expect him to be (at most) a solid two-way 50-60 point guy if healthy. Chances are he'll miss a few games here or there and end up being a 50ish point guy.

That's a solid guy to lock up, but an easy one to sign even in two years. He'd be worth somewhere 5-6M like Hyman.

I guess I don't see any "sky is the limit" risk here. His upside potential is visible and it isn't orders of magnitude more than he is today. He isn't going to price himself out of Edmonton in two years. No way.

On the flip side, if we invest north of $5M today (where I argue we don't need to), it's going to curtail our flexibility in the next two years (while we dig ourselves out of bad contracts and dead cap).

Sometimes the advantage of developing our own talent (make no mistake, Jesse is one) is that you have the advantage of slow-playing it. I would not force the issue on a long term deal now. If team-friendly... great, otherwise be patient.

253 NHL games and people are spouting about upside potential. He's pretty much what he is. He can train to be a reasonably better shooter in the crease but for the most part he is what he is. He's not all of a sudden going to get hockey sense in the places where it's obviously lacking.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. The poster confirmed Pulju is our worst goal scorer in topsix and that even including Yamamoto who is for the most part a cooler as well. Only Kane has disguised our scoring depth difficulties this season.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Yep. The poster confirmed Pulju is our worst goal scorer in topsix and that even including Yamamoto who is for the most part a cooler as well. Only Kane has disguised our scoring depth difficulties this season.
Putting together a functioning top 6 is so easy: Just put a goal scorer to every position. Maybe you should give Woodcroft a call to spread your wisdom?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wasnt his hip surgery to fix a congenital problem??
All I know is he had surgery for his hips and that reportedly involved both hips. I've never seen a lot of information, in English confirming exactly what the issue was. I couldn't even google up any substantive info. Anybody that has it can fill us in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad