Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part XII | The King of the Bison Now Needs to Conquer Goalies Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
If you think Pulju could be signed to a long term contract at 3mil a year you are not in a very good touch with reality.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He’s a better fit to me then

What would you call Puljujarvi playing beside CMD? McLeod looks great. Liking his confidence to carry the puck. Puljujarvi shits his pants when the puck hits his stick
You’ve seen McLeod pass on clear cut breakaways multiple times this season right? What McDavid needs is someone to get him the puck at full speed and then have that person go to the net. Not sure he needs someone like McLeod to dangle the puck through the neutral zone and then not have a clue what to do with it.

Reactions: PulYou

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If we assume he'll be extended for 8 years during the summer, what do you think Holland will end up paying him? And what would you pay for him?

I'm all for extending him long term, but it would need to have a $4 in front of it. He hasn't done anything to justify a $5M contract.

The going rate for 40 point wingers (something he hasn't accomplished yet) is in the $3-4M range. They are the easiest assets to obtain as UFA and they command the least in salary. You sign him to that contract because you have some certainty that's his floor and add term in the hopes that it isn't his ceiling.

If you can't get that deal done, then it's a bridge contract in the 2.5 to 3.5M range, whatever you can get away with.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If I was Pulju's agent I would certainly push for a 2 year bridge deal.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If you think Pulju could be signed to a long term contract at 3mil a year you are not in a very good touch with reality.
It would not be the first time a player takes a team-friendly contract, for what-ever reason. I mentioned Jarnkrok in the other thread, NSH wanted to bridge him after a good seasons, but he wanted long term security because he liked the place and believed the team had a good chance of winning. Ended up signing $2M for 6 years despite coming off a 15 G 30 pts season and being excellent defensively and used in all situations. I am not saying Pulju = Jarnkrok, but what you are saying is not unheard of.

I'd like to see him long term, but I'd not go over Rakell +10% contract, that's in the low $4M's, and to be honest I'd prefer if the number started with a 3.

edit: any player has the right to hold out to get paid, there is no obligation to go for team-friendly deals. It happens though, and considering the cap situation in general I'd love for it to happen here, but that is down to PJ and depends on how much he likes it in EDM and how he sees the future of the team. Same goes for the other key signings like Kane and Yams by the way.

Reactions: yakcity1064

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If Jesse plays exactly as he does right now, I'll be elated. Would I like him to score more? Sure, we all would. He's doing so many of the other things right and we should see it as a blessing if we can lock him up for a long time at a lower price because of a drop in offensive production. He's critical to this team moving forward long term.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've become a fan of Jesse this year, but I've also become fairly disappointed in his performance as far as finishing great chances lately. This isn't to say that his other positives haven't been noticed in the games I've watched, but I'm getting a bit nervous about his touch around the net. It's a glaring negative IMO.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He's not on special teams. His offensive #'s aren't impressive given his role. Kassian makes 3.2. Koktianemi makes 5. He's already coming off a bridge. He's getting colder, not hotter.

His agent would be bananas not to push for a long term contract focused on his defensive advanced stats. It would be a miracle if he does another bridge or a team friendly deal

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
He's not on special teams. His offensive #'s aren't impressive given his role. Kassian makes 3.2. Koktianemi makes 5. He's already coming off a bridge. He's getting colder, not hotter.

His agent would be bananas not to push for a long term contract focused on his defensive advanced stats. It would be a miracle if he does another bridge or a team friendly deal
Both sides can push all they want, but Holland probably doesn't have the cap space to lock up Pulju long term. 2x3mil is the most probable outcome. I believe Pulju will bet on himself finishing more plays next two seasons, and cash big time after he's done it.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Actually, I think Jesse would work best with Nuge, where he has more leeway against weaker competition. A third line of McLeod/Foegele/Holloway with RNH and Jesse could eat weaker comp alive. Besides, Nuge seems like he'd be a great mentor with his patience.
Yeah but we need what Jesse brings defensively against other top lines. Having a marginal increase in scoring/S% from the top line isn't good if we trade off a bunch of scoring chances the other way. Given that goaltending is our biggest area of, shall we say, impending doom, we shouldn't be trading D for O right now.

The good news with McDavid is that he is a one man army and always generates 10 billion scoring chances, so we can saddle him with some quantity over quality shooters and make it work. What we can't be doing is putting ineffective fore checkers on his line and giving the Mackinnon's/Makars of the world free zone exits and rush chances 5 on 5.

If Puljujarvi learns that playoff hockey is an utter bullshit dead puck era slogfest, where he can get away with literal muggings, and then actually choose to do that, I could see him becoming a Zetterberg on the defensive side of the puck. Peak Z was the guy who's actually much closer to the Datsyuk fantasy player that HF posters jerk off to.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Both sides can push all they want, but Holland probably doesn't have the cap space to lock up Pulju long term. 2x3mil is the most probable outcome. I believe Pulju will bet on himself finishing more plays next two seasons, and cash big time after he's done it.

I like the player a fair bit. He's a .58 scoring pace with top six minutes featuring two Hart Trophy winners as centre options. Strong two way game is a valuable feature of his game (much like Nugent Hopkins when he played as the utility top six winger). Kane's addition has helped alleviate pressure for more consistent goal scoring finishing on McDavid's line and Hyman the same with Draisaitl's line. Yamamoto has been shot out of a cannon production wise since as well. Will be interesting to see how Holland stretches limited cap to re-sign Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and quite likely take a run at re-signing Kane for production and style of play lacking on this finesse style roster.

Curious to hear what you think Puljujarvi's peak years production looks like - goals, assists, points. And the salary range you think he cashes in at? The raw package is immense, tool kit varied and formidable especially as he grows his comfort to use his size in battle areas required by the NHL style game. Where do you see a peak years Puljujarvi?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not cherry picking. I've been saying that he's been struggling to score since he came back from injury. Do you actually dispute this and call it a fallacy? But all you've done is to strawman, and point out all the other great things he's done (which I have never disputed).
Its completely laughable that a poster (I don't even know who it is), is apparently saying you are cherry picking this. Jesse has 45 NHL goals as a high pick, was propped to be elite, a scorer, and hasn't featured in that prominently at any point. (cites his WHOLE NHL sample. ) Jesse is 24yrs old in a few weeks. Its high time he started being able to knock some goals in. Like I often say playing with the generational likes of McDrai 20-25 goal seasons should be a starting point, a baseline.

Like Sather famously said "A fire hydrant could score X goals playing with Wayne Gretzky.

An 8% shooting for a top pick is pretty, pretty bad at converting. Especially when figuring in the areas where most of Jesse's shots come from, gimme range.

Pulju is many things and brings some useful all zone facets. But he sure isn't scoring as much as should be expected.

Just of note Jesse has scored 3 goals since he potted 2 on December 16, 2021. Nearly all his goals came early season. I mean 3 goals across several months while playing exclusively topsix minutes is at best futile scoring. Anybody should be questioning it. We can't afford these half a season long cold spells anymore.

Last edited:

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Its completely laughable that a poster (I don't even know who it is), is apparently saying you are cherry picking this. Jesse has 45 NHL goals as a high pick, was propped to be elite, a scorer, and hasn't featured in that prominently at any point. (cites his WHOLE NHL sample. ) Jesse is 24yrs old in a few weeks. Its high time he started being able to knock some goals in. Like I often say playing with the generational likes of McDrai 20-25 goal seasons should be a starting point, a baseline.

Like Sather famously said "A fire hydrant could score X goals playing with Wayne Gretzky.

An 8% shooting for a top pick is pretty, pretty bad at converting. Especially when figuring in the areas where most of Jesse's shots come from, gimme range.

Pulju is many things and brings some useful all zone facets. But he sure isn't scoring as much as should be expected.

Just of note Jesse has scored 3 goals since he potted 2 on December 16, 2021. Nearly all his goals came early season. I mean 3 goals across several months while playing exclusively topsix minutes is at best futile scoring. Anybody should be questioning it. We can't afford these half a season long cold spells anymore.
Only forwards with more 5on5 goals than Jesse are McDrai, Hyman and Yamamoto.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only forwards with more 5on5 goals than Jesse are McDrai, Hyman and Yamamoto.
Kane has 11 EV goals and has only played 34 games.

Pulju has only 9EV goals in 58GP Bottom line players like Foegele 9, Ryan 8, and Mcleod 7 are in same range. All have scored more EV goals recently, or in 2022, than Pulju has.

The main issue with Pulju is how cold he gets from a scoring perspective. His scoring falls right off, and it happens every season.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
If Jesse plays exactly as he does right now, I'll be elated. Would I like him to score more? Sure, we all would. He's doing so many of the other things right and we should see it as a blessing if we can lock him up for a long time at a lower price because of a drop in offensive production. He's critical to this team moving forward long term.
Well, we need him to score some of these gimme goals if Kane is gone next year. I don't like the look of our top 6 at all when he leaves. Weak top 6

Reactions: yakcity1064

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
You're going to be looking at another Nurse situation with a four year contract.
That's if he even improves. A Nurse contract means he will be a 85+ point player at minimum lol. Not a chance. Unless he magically improves his hockey IQ, Puck Poise, balance, and shot very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad