Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
AA doesn’t even need to be a 30 goal player, just a 20-25 goal player. If the scenario happens that JP becomes a legit NHL player and AA finds some chemistry on the team then all of a sudden our wings look pretty good.

Exactly. If AA could get 20 goals playing with McDavid and JP shows a pulse in the NHL, you legimately would have 2 scoring lines and the starting of a decent third line. The only issue is handedness as there'd be four right-handed shots battling for three spots so one may have to swing over to the left side.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Before anyone rushes here to ask what the hell was the D doing, JP made that rush after a long shift and everyone (including him) must have been gassed. Nice to see him score on a breakaway. He didn't do very well with those last year.

What the hell were the D doing there?

Of course, kudos to him for seeing that opening, and grabbing it and then capitalizing on it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The reality is that most goals scored in the NHL would not have gone in in the NHL. This might sound like strange statement but what I mean is that if you were to repeat the same play over and over there is a very good chance that a mistake that was made leading to the goal would not have happened most of the time. That's why I think this is an important post.

If he can dominate in a league like SM-Liga it shows that at the very least he has skill. The ability to put ones self in a position to benefit from happenstance is a huge part of success at the NHL level and is a big reason why Puljujarvi struggled at times. If he has improved in that regard then it is significant in terms of giving him a chance to succeed in the NHL. Will it translate? Who knows.

Strange stat...As far as accuracy is concerned over the time he played for the team he was 6th amongst Oiler forwards in posts/crossbar hit with 7 in 139 games. McDavid led the team by a mile with 29, Draisaitl second with 19, Nuge third with 13, Lucic had 9 (all but one of which of which came in his first two years where he was playing on the top lines and getting lots of pp time) and Eberle with 8. But if you look at posts/crossbars hit as a percentage of missed shots Puljujarvi was second to Eberle. And if you factor in time played he would be third behind Eberle and McDavid. Not that it means much, but I found it interesting.

Thanks for this but every player hits crossbars and goal posts. As you've also indicated. Statistically even if one is factoring in some puck luck, and even if one did credit a few of those as goals, even though Pulju did not score them, any factor would have to consider the mean amount of posts hit by players and how statistically significant the difference in Pulju posts are. I'm thinking the deviation may be off by one goal post, from mean. maybe 2. Amongst hundreds of shots taken thats the probably difference. Lets not pretend its a lot, and like I say even if we credit Pulju as having scored a few more goals (which is more than mathematically should be corrected) his shooting % is still really poor for a projected 3rd pick forward selected on his alleged production value.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for this but every player hits crossbars and goal posts. As you've also indicated. Statistically even if one is factoring in some puck luck, and even if one did credit a few of those as goals, even though Pulju did not score them, any factor would have to consider the mean amount of posts hit by players and how statistically significant the difference in Pulju posts are. I'm thinking the deviation may be off by one goal post, from mean. maybe 2. Amongst hundreds of shots taken thats the probably difference. Lets not pretend its a lot, and like I say even if we credit Pulju as having scored a few more goals (which is more than mathematically should be corrected) his shooting % is still really poor for a projected 3rd pick forward selected on his alleged production value.

Hence the comment: Not that it means much, but I found it interesting.

That said the guys who lead the pack in hit posts/crossbars are not really soem collection of random plugs. The top 30 over the three years JP was in the league are:

PlayerMsS PostMsS Cross
Tyler Seguin341044
Alex Ovechkin35439
Vladimir Tarasenko261339
Nikita Kucherov30737
Artemi Panarin29837
Mike Hoffman271037
Patrik Laine29332
Patrick Kane28432
Connor McDavid27431
Johnny Gaudreau25631
Filip Forsberg23730
Jamie Benn21930
Mika Zibanejad27229
Nathan MacKinnon24529
Jeff Skinner23629
Brandon Saad191029
Ryan O'Reilly24428
Mark Scheifele23427
John Tavares17926
Jack Eichel19625
Blake Wheeler17724
Rick Nash21223
Vincent Trocheck20323
Leon Draisaitl21122
David Pastrnak21122
Viktor Arvidsson20222
Sidney Crosby20222
Tomas Tatar17522
Sean Monahan17522
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Pulju's conditioning has looked on point tonight. Physicality has also improved from the last i saw him play at length, and considering these have been 3v3 exhibition games, I'm expecting more of that in official games. However, he does still whiff some shots and looks a bit awkward at times.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hence the comment: Not that it means much, but I found it interesting.

Yep, I did see that, hence me saying you already acknowledged. Just extending your own thoughts that the goal posts really didn't mean much, but how you parse information, and you use creative writing (I do too) would leave the reader perhaps thinking that bad luck explains very much.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yep, I did see that, hence me saying you already acknowledged. Just extending your own thoughts that the goal posts really didn't mean much, but how you parse information, and you use creative writing (I do too) would leave the reader perhaps thinking that bad luck explains very much.
I added some context to the post you quoted. I also cannot rule out the bad luck component but in reality an extra goal or two over the three years would not change much. But what it may show is that he has some characteristics of guys who are successful. In particular, he has the potential to be a volume shooter and that is actually a characteristic with some positive connotations. Unrealized as of yet for sure, but there is Gretzky's old adage about 100% of the shoots you don't take don't go in.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
So today Kärpät played four 3 on 3 games, which lasted just 2 x10 minutes each. The opponents were FEL teams (supposedly some of the best ones). No goals for Pulju today, but four assists and a game winning penalty shot goal. I didn't see the games but according to what I read it was a strong performance again. Disclaimer: It's only preseason, only the FEL, only 3 on 3 games, doesn't mean this applies to the NHL :)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I added some context to the post you quoted. I also cannot rule out the bad luck component but in reality an extra goal or two over the three years would not change much. But what it may show is that he has some characteristics of guys who are successful. In particular, he has the potential to be a volume shooter and that is actually a characteristic with some positive connotations. Unrealized as of yet for sure, but there is Gretzky's old adage about 100% of the shoots you don't take don't go in.

Interesting stat list provided. IF Puljujarvi comes back I would tether him with James Neal to mentor some of that NHL veteran wisdom from a successful career volume shooter. This assumes Neal won't be bought out which I feel is a safe bet this year unless Holland has some big moves cooking.

Finnish hockey has surged with its focus on skill development and skill coaching. Having access to someone like Neal would help to sharpen the skills and also help Puljujarvi integrate into the team culture.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Continuing on with weird and whacky stats...Over his three years he was also 7th amongst forwards on the Oilers in rebounds created 5 vs 5.

McDavid 63 (0.94 /60 min)
Lucic 49 (.93 / 60)
Nuge 38 (0.74 /60)
Draisaitl 37 (.60 /60)
Kassian 34 (.77/60)
Maroon 27 (.80 /60)
Puljujarvi 25 (.92/60)

This stat may have actually have more legs to it because it does seem to correlate with goal generation for shooters and is also typically fairly high for guys who are in the goalies face a lot on skilled lines. Both are desirable characteristics.

In absolute terms he was 227 th in the league in this stat amongst forwards. But he played a lot less than most. His numbers per 60 minutes put him tied for 67th in the league.

Now unlike the hit post stat the top of this list is not just premier scores but also includes some of the games top muckers.

(By the way, I was a bit surprised about Leon until I gave it a little more thought. He's not a guy that hits the goalie all that much. He has a very high shooting % for a reason. Like Kurri, Leon does not miss all that much.)

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I almost promise this is the only time I'll quote fans of other teams, especially after preseason games. These kind of comments coming from fans of other teams express he is in a great form right now. Real games are still ahead, but I've been waiting for him to dominate in the FEL as he did among his peers as a youngster so hopefully it's getting closer to that now.

"I have to come and write after these few 3 on 3 games. In the coming season Jesse will be by far the best player of the league. For such a big boy his skating is pretty nice to watch. It's quite a miracle if he won't go to the NHL even though I don't have the knowledge if the difficulties of the first visit have been fixed. I hope he'll stay in Liiga so people from other towns in Finland can enjoy the performance of a player of this level for the whole season."

"If he plays all 60 games the all time points record of Kari Jalonen is in danger. It just looks so good and that incredible stamina, so big minutes make it possible. I'm really impressed by that desire to play and the amount of work. Of course NHL may take him."

"The guy will score lots of goals with his good skills. Definitely the superstar of the team."

E: And the most recent from own fans as it sums up my feelings: "It almost feels like a shame to watch Jesse in Liiga. He's so clearly in a wrong league. I can only hope that things on the other side of the big sea get sorted and Pulju gets where he really belongs."

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Exactly. If AA could get 20 goals playing with McDavid and JP shows a pulse in the NHL, you legimately would have 2 scoring lines and the starting of a decent third line. The only issue is handedness as there'd be four right-handed shots battling for three spots so one may have to swing over to the left side.

Chaisson is better on his off wing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I almost promise this is the only time I'll quote fans of other teams, especially after preseason games. These kind of comments coming from fans of other teams express he is in a great form right now. Real games are still ahead, but I've been waiting for him to dominate in the FEL as he did among his peers as a youngster so hopefully it's getting closer to that now.

"I have to come and write after these few 3 on 3 games. In the coming season Jesse will be by far the best player of the league. For such a big boy his skating is pretty nice to watch. It's quite a miracle if he won't go to the NHL even though I don't have the knowledge if the difficulties of the first visit have been fixed. I hope he'll stay in Liiga so people from other towns in Finland can enjoy the performance of a player of this level for the whole season."

"If he plays all 60 games the all time points record of Kari Jalonen is in danger. It just looks so good and that incredible stamina, so big minutes make it possible. I'm really impressed by that desire to play and the amount of work. Of course NHL may take him."

"The guy will score lots of goals with his good skills. Definitely the superstar of the team."

E: And the most recent from own fans as it sums up my feelings: "It almost feels like a shame to watch Jesse in Liiga. He's so clearly in a wrong league. I can only hope that things on the other side of the big sea get sorted and Pulju gets where he really belongs."

This is maybe unintended, But I've engaged with posters from Europe since the 90's really since the internet. Always been interested in opinions across the pond, across the world. But a non stop notion we see in all of these discussions is blatant or casual reference to getting things sorted out here. Which is misdirected and a convenient way to sidestep that is Was pulju and his agent themselves that pulled the plug on playing here. If only THEY could get that sorted out. heh

i state this because a central theme whenever players don't work out HERE, is how screwed up things were here. Yet Pulju received credible coaching, management direction from credible staff. Its up to Pulju to sort himself out to play in the NHL, if thats what he wants. I wish him luck in that and even if its not here.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
This is maybe unintended, But I've engaged with posters from Europe since the 90's really since the internet. Always been interested in opinions across the pond, across the world. But a non stop notion we see in all of these discussions is blatant or casual reference to getting things sorted out here. Which is misdirected and a convenient way to sidestep that is Was pulju and his agent themselves that pulled the plug on playing here. If only THEY could get that sorted out. heh

i state this because a central theme whenever players don't work out HERE, is how screwed up things were here. Yet Pulju received credible coaching, management direction from credible staff. Its up to Pulju to sort himself out to play in the NHL, if thats what he wants. I wish him luck in that and even if its not here.

I know that's your opinion and it's fine. Anyway that was just a passive form that feels natural in that place at least in Finnish. As you said likely unintended in this case anyway.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know everyone has trashed Pulju's hockey IQ, sense, but at least its great on a bigger ice,
at least according to 37 year old, 18 year pro Kristian Kuusela, of the Tappara.
- who is still playing pro hockey in the SM-Liiga

He is not your avg hockey player by the way. Sure never played in the NHL
but i listen when he haves something to say.

SHL champion (championship OTW goal scorer)
3 x SM-Liiga champion
World Champion
KHL experience
over 1000 pro games (mostly in the Sm-Liiga) 260+ goals and 650+ points | 50+ goals, 130 points in 197 games
6 seasons in the Champions Hockey League | 34 points in 41 games

So, why can't Pulju find his hockey sense for the smaller ice???
has not found so far, at least.

He (Kuusela) is a really good two-way winger by the way.
(has become one in his later years of his career)

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
From Finland's national public broadcasting company, YLE, I present to you this abridged and mostly Google Translated article to which GeorgeLeafer12 most likely refers to.

Riskinottajien ja luistelijoiden shakkia – kolme vastaan kolme -peli nostaa esiin taitoja, mutta myös pohdintaa jääkiekon evoluutiosta

Jesse Puljujärvi stood out with his fast skating force in the game trial to his advantage.

The three-on-three game mode, which has been introduced to Finland as an August treat for the hockey people, has now been tasted for two tournaments.

Of the players, Jesse Puljujärvi of Kärpät has been an absolute star in three-on-three matches - goals were also scored at a steady pace in Tampere matches as well.

- It has been fun to play this way, Puljujärvi glows.

Skaters and intellectuals stand out

The name Puljujärvi comes to the fore after considering what type of player the game trial is suitable for. The game style, which is familiar from overtime, emphasizes skating power, and the Kärpät striker admits that there may be a hint in the success of the Turku and Tampere tournaments.

- I have played bandy in the past and in this big rink I will be able to use my strength, skating, in a similar way. Now I am able to challenge players through skating. You have lots of time with the puck in this form of play and you can challenge at a strong pace and create a little different tactics, Puljujärvi says.

Players of the opposing teams also spoke glowingly about Puljujärvi. Against Tappara, Puljujärvi scored 1 + 3 in two mini-matches.

- Game intelligence, skill, skating. If a player has one or two of them, then they are good here. For example, Puljujärvi and a few fast skaters on our team, because you can stand out, Tappara striker Kristian Kuusela describes the requirements of the game with three against three.

- Skating guys stand out. Puljujärvi managed to make a few good rushes against us. But cunning is also needed. You have to know when to attack and where to go to pick up good passes. They quickly open 2–1 attacks or passes, Tappara's Jukka Peltola continues.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
From Finland's national public broadcasting company, YLE, I present to you this abridged and mostly Google Translated article to which GeorgeLeafer12 most likely refers to.

Riskinottajien ja luistelijoiden shakkia – kolme vastaan kolme -peli nostaa esiin taitoja, mutta myös pohdintaa jääkiekon evoluutiosta

He truly was outstanding there and like someone said he looked like a man among teenagers.

To be fair they were only exhibition games and the format was different from a standard game, but the way he dominated is promising for the season to come.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It looks like JP needs more of a challenge. Kind of odd how he chose to stay in the Finnish league instead of the KHL. The KHL would be more of a test for him and would be easier to gauge where he is at and what he needs to improve on.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It looks like JP needs more of a challenge. Kind of odd how he chose to stay in the Finnish league instead of the KHL. The KHL would be more of a test for him and would be easier to gauge where he is at and what he needs to improve on.
KHL would be a better gauge perhaps, but Oulu and Liiga is a better place to work on your game. He has gotten many of his strengths back, I think now he really needs to score as much as he can and work on his finishing. He seems to think so too, because after the games on Friday he pretty much said that everything else feels great but he needs to have a better shot. I agree. He generates so much offense that even a little better shooting percentage and he'd be breaking records.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
KHL would be a better gauge perhaps, but Oulu and Liiga is a better place to work on your game. He has gotten many of his strengths back, I think now he really needs to score as much as he can and work on his finishing. He seems to think so too, because after the games on Friday he pretty much said that everything else feels great but he needs to have a better shot. I agree. He generates so much offense that even a little better shooting percentage and he'd be breaking records.

I think it was a decent choice for Pulju last season in order to get his confidence back, but now I think he needs more of a challenge this season, at least until NHL training camp starts (hopefully he is at training camp, we will see).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know everyone has trashed Pulju's hockey IQ, sense, but at least its great on a bigger ice,
at least according to 37 year old, 18 year pro Kristian Kuusela, of the Tappara.
- who is still playing pro hockey in the SM-Liiga

He is not your avg hockey player by the way. Sure never played in the NHL
but i listen when he haves something to say.

SHL champion (championship OTW goal scorer)
3 x SM-Liiga champion
World Champion
KHL experience
over 1000 pro games (mostly in the Sm-Liiga) 260+ goals and 650+ points | 50+ goals, 130 points in 197 games
6 seasons in the Champions Hockey League | 34 points in 41 games

So, why can't Pulju find his hockey sense for the smaller ice???
has not found so far, at least.

He (Kuusela) is a really good two-way winger by the way.
(has become one in his later years of his career)

??

What was actually stated about Pulju, by Kuusela?

The above parsing is so confusing I have no idea what was stated.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think it was a decent choice for Pulju last season in order to get his confidence back, but now I think he needs more of a challenge this season, at least until NHL training camp starts (hopefully he is at training camp, we will see).

Yeah, I think calling up our old buddy Kurri and hopefully getting him on Jokerit would have been a good idea.

A step up in level of play, a bit more out of his comfort zone(although still with primarily Finnish speakers) and his old coach is over there(assuming they had a good relationship?).

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad