Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
To make things more confusing I honestly believe some are mixing up Puljujarvi with Yakupov. They have them linked in their heads and project Puljujarvi with Yakupovs history.

Many also seem to forget that Puljujarvi had a nagging injury that got worse as his last season went on. If you only looked at his last 20 games or so you don't get a very good picture of his overall play.

Fair comments. The Oil have flubbed two elite bluechip prospects in relatively short order. That's a lot of trauma to endure ("The Horror.The Horror") as fans. It wouldn't surprise me if anyone is muddling up the faux-development of Yakupov and Pujijarvi. Good point about Pully's injury - it is sometime lost in the wash that this young player had a fairly significant corrective surgery also in his later time in Edmonton. How much that effected his game is hard to know.

I'm cautiously hopeful Puljujarvi will be a serviceable NHLer. Third line seems a no brainer based on his size, skating and solid toolkit. Attitude and confidence are variable within the player's control. My biggest question is still with hockey IQ and his ability to think and process the game at NHL speed. If it's there and augmented by renewed confidence, resiliency and grit having faced down substantive adversity in his young pro career, there is some hope that a top six NHL winger could still emerge.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Fair comments. The Oil have flubbed two elite bluechip prospects in relatively short order. That's a lot of trauma to endure ("The Horror.The Horror") as fans. It wouldn't surprise me if anyone is muddling up the faux-development of Yakupov and Pujijarvi. Good point about Pully's injury - it is sometime lost in the wash that this young player had a fairly significant corrective surgery also in his later time in Edmonton. How much that effected his game is hard to know.

I'm cautiously hopeful Puljujarvi will be a serviceable NHLer. Third line seems a no brainer based on his size, skating and solid toolkit. Attitude and confidence are variable within the player's control. My biggest question is still with hockey IQ and his ability to think and process the game at NHL speed. If it's there and augmented by renewed confidence, resiliency and grit having faced down substantive adversity in his young pro career, there is some hope that a top six NHL winger could still emerge.
It's affected not effected. Don't think he will have a good career in the NHL.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
JP's goal from yesterday.

What horrible coverage. First goal, Jesse is cranked waiting to shoot for 5 secs. Play is telegraphed for just as long. Everybody watching knows where the pass is headed. Yet theres a slow pass, not even a move from a defender to take the play away, get a stick in lane, pressure, block anything. Just let the play happen..

I mention this because this play would not occur in the NHL against the worst possible opponent. 2nd video harder to see what was happening.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Sure it's against poor competition, but I'd rather see him put up 10 points against said poor competition than none.
Agreed. Everyone's biggest criticism about Eberle before we shipped him off was that he only put up points against the shitty teams. Well, once we traded him off we had nobody else to put up points against the shitty teams outside of the same few people we relied on in all other situations.

Reactions: Cypress

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What horrible coverage. First goal, Jesse is cranked waiting to shoot for 5 secs. Play is telegraphed for just as long. Everybody watching knows where the pass is headed. Yet theres a slow pass, not even a move from a defender to take the play away, get a stick in lane, pressure, block anything. Just let the play happen..

I mention this because this play would not occur in the NHL against the worst possible opponent. 2nd video harder to see what was happening.
No offense but this is often exactly the case with Draisaitl on the pp. The key being that Draisailt scores on many of those plays because even though most know its coming it is still very difficult to stop when the guy shooting the puck has some skill.

We don't know if Jessie will be able to do this in the NHL. But it does not change the fact that it was a nice goal.

Reactions: teddygmr

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No offense but this is often exactly the case with Draisaitl on the pp. The key being that Draisailt scores on many of those plays because even though most know its coming it is still very difficult to stop when the guy shooting the puck has some skill.

We don't know if Jessie will be able to do this in the NHL. But it does not change the fact that it was a nice goal.

Of course I don't agree. Drai loads up in an instant and gets the shot away quick. His one timer is obviously far superior, on a completely different level, and in the NHL you cannot telegraph the pass as much. Many of the Drai one timer goals is when an alternate dummy play exists, or even a pump fake and then pass to him. Earlier on I'll grant you that some of the Drai one time goals were maybe mroe obvious, but the Oilers work to cloak it more now. Otherwise it doesn't work, at this level.

Pulju shooting 7% in NHL play. Not sure why you made the comparison.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Of course I don't agree. Drai loads up in an instant and gets the shot away quick. His one timer is obviously far superior, on a completely different level, and in the NHL you cannot telegraph the pass as much. Many of the Drai one timer goals is when an alternate dummy play exists, or even a pump fake and then pass to him. Earlier on I'll grant you that some of the Drai one time goals were maybe mroe obvious, but the Oilers work to cloak it more now. Otherwise it doesn't work, at this level.

Pulju shooting 7% in NHL play. Not sure why you made the comparison.

This is a lot harder to see on TV than it is in person but it is not at all uncommon for Leon to drift into roughly the same spot (though often closer to the line and wait for a pass. Typically it is McDavid from the left half wall. The stick may not be up in the air but even if it was it would change little. The key is the accuracy of Draisiatl's shot from such a severe angle which is deadly. And this does not happen by accident. McDavid and Draisaitl run this play over and over again in the warm-ups. Over the years the execution has become better and better.

I made the comparison because what you described was intended to diminish a goal that is very similar to many scored by a guy you justifiably praise. I am not sure why you are so eager to diminish any accomplishment this player has. No one thinks he will walk in and burn up the league. But it is in the team's best interests if he can play up to at least some of his hype.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a lot harder to see on TV than it is in person but it is not at all uncommon for Leon to drift into roughly the same spot (though often closer to the line and wait for a pass. Typically it is McDavid from the left half wall. The stick may not be up in the air but even if it was it would change little. The key is the accuracy of Draisiatl's shot from such a severe angle which is deadly. And this does not happen by accident. McDavid and Draisaitl run this play over and over again in the warm-ups. Over the years the execution has become better and better.

I made the comparison because what you described was intended to diminish a goal that is very similar to many scored by a guy you justifiably praise. I am not sure why you are so eager to diminish any accomplishment this player has. No one thinks he will walk in and burn up the league. But it is in the team's best interests if he can play up to at least some of his hype.

We'll Pulju has one one timer goal in his NHL career. Could be I'm just being realistic.

Diminish? Pulju has done all that himself.

Fact of the matter is he's not an Oiler, not likely to be one in future, and if he ever does amount to anything HERE, I'll cheer for him here. Not likely until then. Pulju setup this situation, is what it is, can't say I'm a fan of what the player or agent did, and that doesn't go away.

hey, if the directive is that this is a positive posts only, weird kind of appreciation thread, which would be awfully weird in the context of Puljujarvi, then I won't post anything. Until that directive is issued I would think any comment on the player, is fair game, and from an Oiler fan perspective pretty deserved.

Reactions: Messrules11

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We'll Pulju has one one timer goal in his NHL career. Could be I'm just being realistic.

Fact of the matter is he's not an Oiler, not likely to be one in future, and if he ever does amount to anything HERE, I'll cheer for him here. Not likely until then. Pulju setup this situation, is what it is, can't say I'm a fan of what the player or agent did, and that doesn't go away.

hey, if the directive is that this is a positive posts only, weird kind of appreciation thread, which would be awfully weird in the context of Puljujarvi, then I won't post anything. Until that directive is issued I would think any comment on the player, is fair game, and from an Oiler fan perspective pretty deserved.
It's not a question of having to only be positive about the player. There is not a single poster on this board that does not believe Puljujarvi merits criticism. Its a question of having to be critical of everything he does even when he does something well. It is a pattern you have. With players you like there is never anything they do wrong that is their fault. For players you don't like anything positive is criticized as being a fluke or not worthy of praise or because of something your guy did. And very often the criticism is weak sauce. Go watch Ovi's goals and you will see lots that are very similar. Stick up, waiting for the one timer...And yet even in the NHL he still manages to score the odd goal. Fancy that! And no, I am not saying that Puljujarvi is Ovi or Draisaitl. I am not even saying he will score goals like this in the NHL. What I am saying is that your specific criticism of the actual play, which by your many posts about this player is simply meant to minimize anything positive anyone else might see in the player, has no validity. That was the point of my original post.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Theres limited validity to these threads even existing here without Pulju being an Oiler, and refusing to be an Oiler.

Thats where the impasse stands. He's not an Oiler, hasn't played here now for years.

yeah I'm critical of Puljujarvi as an Oilers fan. Not too surprising, or unreasonable all things considered.

I guess I can go away and this thread hardly exists. I bring the ratings..;)

ps I'm just being silly

We could all use a laugh once in awhile.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

He'll be signed in the off-season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He'll be signed in the off-season.

I wouldn't bet on the combo of:

Him signing, him reporting AND him not being traded.

Isn't it a lot of if's at this point?

If the Oilers were going to entertain trade I think it ought to have occurred before all the shit went down and/or before Pulju declined here.

I mean I get that making Pulju stir and twist in the wind and suffer was viewed popularly here by the board and that people liked Holland doing that. But it doesn't really service much of anything.

After all thats occurred I can't get my head around Pulju playing here will actually occur.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Theres limited validity to these threads even existing here without Pulju being an Oiler, and refusing to be an Oiler.

Thats where the impasse stands. He's not an Oiler, hasn't played here now for years.

yeah I'm critical of Puljujarvi as an Oilers fan. Not too surprising, or unreasonable all things considered.

I guess I can go away and this thread hardly exists. I bring the ratings..;)

ps I'm just being silly

We could all use a laugh once in awhile.

Which part is the silly, funny part? I can't find it?

Reactions: jonu and TB12

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nice clip. That is where Puljujarvi should have been slotted on the PP for Oilers.
The draft year his shot was very comparable to Laine.
The minimal time he got on the PP for Oilers it was to stand in front of the net for the most part.
The odd time he was in this spot locked and loaded, no one passed to him.

Reactions: teddygmr and Whyme

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nice clip. That is where Puljujarvi should have been slotted on the PP for Oilers.
The draft year his shot was very comparable to Laine.
The minimal time he got on the PP for Oilers it was to stand in front of the net for the most part.
The odd time he was in this spot locked and loaded, no one passed to him.

Imagine nobody passign to a guy misfiring, toeing shots, getting nothing on the puck, and with an NHL career shooting 7%. Kind of hard to imagine that even being on an NHL PP, let alone thats where he should be slotted.

Sorry Drai, screw off with your 50 goal season. We gotta work Pulju side one timers.

yeah, sounds reasonable.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Imagine nobody passign to a guy misfiring, toeing shots, getting nothing on the puck, and with an NHL career shooting 7%. Kind of hard to imagine that even being on an NHL PP, let alone thats where he should be slotted.

Sorry Drai, screw off with your 50 goal season. We gotta work Pulju side one timers.

yeah, sounds reasonable.
You know there are 2 PP units, right?

Reactions: TB12

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

yeah, sounds reasonable.
Its got nothing to do with Drai. All you are doing here is calling for Drai bashing due to your homer views.
It is fine to have one timer options on both sides.
Also shooting percentage is generally higher for players who get more PP time. 10 shots take on PP are generally of higher quality than ES. Really a weak argument.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know there are 2 PP units, right?

I'm an oilers fan. We had enough players to put together to form one PP unit. With or without Pulju really.

I mean think about it. Our cupboard for a 2nd unit PP was bare and Pulju still wasnt deemed sufficient for it. By experienced, well qualified NHL coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad