Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
tbh i just don't see him succeeding in the NHL, i'd love to be wrong though.

I see him as more of a 3rd line forward, with occasional flashes of brilliance in the top 6 but ultimately lacks the consistency to hold a spot higher up in the line-up.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I see him as more of a 3rd line forward, with occasional flashes of brilliance in the top 6 but ultimately lacks the consistency to hold a spot higher up in the line-up.

He's building that consistency, for a long while it looked much better. There's time to get things going again and also time to keep improving until the start of the NHL season.

No points today either, but his good screening played a crucial part in the game winning goal. By the way, Aatu Räty, one of the top prospects for the 2021 draft, scored two goals today. And Jesperi Kotkaniemi, a #3 pick by the Canadians didn't score points so he's still pointless after four games.

Reactions: PulYou

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
He's building that consistency, for a long while it looked much better. There's time to get things going again and also time to keep improving until the start of the NHL season.

No points today either, but his good screening played a crucial part in the game winning goal. By the way, Aatu Räty, one of the top prospects for the 2021 draft, scored two goals today. And Jesperi Kotkaniemi, a #3 pick by the Canadians didn't score points so he's still pointless after four games.
To be fair Kotkaniemi has played quite well. Actually better than Puljujärvi.
Yes, I have seen last 4 games from them both.

Game is mutch more than points :)

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Well I don't know, it seems either you are right and pretty much everybody else is wrong or the other way around. The Finnish Ässät's (Kotkaniemi's FEL team) forum is full of posts where the own fans, who basically love him, criticise his performance very strongly. It was the same after the previous game, too.

But I agree that the game is much more than points, which doesn't always get the credit it deserves.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Well I don't know, it seems either you are right and pretty much everybody else is wrong or the other way around. The Finnish Ässät's (Kotkaniemi's FEL team) forum is full of posts where the own fans, who basically love him, criticise his performance very strongly. It was the same after the previous game, too.

But I agree that the game is much more than points, which doesn't always get the credit it deserves.
Bit luck and Kotkaniemi would have few goals and points and these same dudes would rise him to next Jesus! :)
Even his game would be just the same as now.

Edit. Not to say his game is near perfect or even very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Bit luck and Kotkaniemi would have few goals and points and these same dudes would rise him to next Jesus! :)
Even his game would be just the same as now.

Edit. Not to say his game is near perfect or even very good.

Yes, but the same with Pulju. Despite him having a harder time he could've scored some goals and points, there have been chances for that. It's true points really affect the way opinions form. On the other hand stronger plays from Kotkaniemi as you mentioned, or e.g. today's winning goal in which Jesse formed a part in the offensive zone and especially a great screen go unnoticed if there's no points.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Yes, but the same with Pulju. Despite him having a harder time he could've scored some goals and points, there have been chances for that. It's true points really affect the way opinions form. On the other hand stronger plays from Kotkaniemi as you mentioned, or e.g. today's winning goal in which Jesse formed a part in the offensive zone and especially a great screen go unnoticed if there's no points.

Yes. It was a good screen by Jesse.

Every player has his ups and downs in points and performance in general. It is natural and human thing.
Best players are usually keeping certain high level even without points. And as we know, do the right things and good things will happen.

I am sure Puljujärvi and Kotkamäniemi will soon score multiscore games.
Question is can they do it in NHL?

Reactions: Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I am sure Puljujärvi and Kotkamäniemi will soon score multiscore games.
Question is can they do it in NHL?

To me the answer is yes they will. But to me the question is if they will score like their high draft positions suggest. The player paths are quite different but I still believe in both of them.

I think Pulju is a prospect for whom #4 is actually too low for what he was at that age, but who still sometimes frustrates me when it seems he's so close but still so far from what he really could be. But I still think his ceiling is very very high.

To me Kotkaniemi is a player who was drafted surprisingly high and he doesn't have a similar tool kit, but he's smart, doesn't have bad weaknesses and he's now gaining the physicality that'll help him in the NHL. Kotkaniemi is a player who can play smart hockey in the background, without maybe getting enough credit for it. Both have shown flashes so it'll be interesting to see how they'll do next season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

Kotkaniemi was almost totally invisible at Ässät-Kärpät game. Pulju was not at his best either but he was chosen as the second star of the game. I was there at Isomäki Areena to wittnes this at first hand.

This is not a Kotkaniemi thread but I say this much that his number one weaknes is his skating. He is still young though so there is much more room for his development. But no way Kotkaniemi has played better than Pulju. There are statistics to support the eye. Currently after four games played he has no points and he is -2.

Somebody was earlier wondering whether Pulju was infected too. This is my guess also. He definitely does not look his usual self. He took short shifts (and he seemed to be gassed some what quickly). Also he usually has a habit standing long before he is due to on ice - eager to play. This was not the case yesterday. Alternate scene is that Kärpät coach is teaching him to be a more steady and responsible player with poor outcome.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
tbh i just don't see him succeeding in the NHL, i'd love to be wrong though.

Its hard to know for sure. In his second season, he was already a legitimate 3rd line player imo. He didnt live upto expectations but I still think he was a legitimate NHL player. He had a disastrous 3rd season though so who knows. Will be interesting to see how he plays this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad