Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Maybe He Picked Out His Brain Through His Nose One Lick at a Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Ken Holland has now said that he wants to resolve Jesse's case before the end of this month. Like I just predicted. :naughty:
Holland working to feel at home with Oilers

"He feels frustrated in what's gone in in Edmonton," Holland said. "Obviously there's three things: Can you talk him into coming back? Does he want to play in Europe? Or trade him? So I've got to settle that situation by the end of August. … I don't want to box myself into any situation, but I've got to find out what I think is going to be the best solution."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its no bold prediction that Holland is handling this perfectly, he's been doing that all along since he got here. Kudos to him. I have faith Holland will make the most possible out of this. I like that he speaks of not boxing himself into a corner and being willing to consider all options relative to what is best for the Oilers. This is in stark contrast to how Tambellini would have likely dealt with this situation.

Reactions: KYams17

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
“Worse than Lindros type move” :laugh:did he kick babies while he was at it? Seriously the hyperbole and emotional/thoughtless posts have reached a new level today.

How has his body posture been? That’s what really matters most.

It is worse than a Lindros type move, imagine if he lindros'd us how much we'd have gotten for him before training camp. Look at the Avs's team of the 90's / early 00's... of the top of my head it netted the Nordiques Forsberg, Duschesne, Ricci, the pick for Tanguay, the pick for Deadmarsh, assets used to acquire Roy, millions of dollars.

Obviously Pulju was no Lindros, but like... with the hype he had he could have easily garned a couple second line wingers, real ones on decent deals of the Tuch / Tierney / Raquell / Kerfoot / Silferberg
variety. I think its fair to say that scenario would have been better for the oilers. Or say a decent top 3 defenceman if we added, in which case we likely keep Hall around.

North

Jun 25, 2009
What kind of moderator are you writing posts like these and adding fuel to the fire?

We, the Edmonton Oilers are a terrible organization at developing players.

Is that how this works?

I’m pretty sure moderators are allowed to post whatever they want as long as it’s not in violation of board rules.

Not sure why you are trying to police him. Don’t like the post? Ignore it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
cant figure out how to quote from a locked thread

View attachment 247945

True, but he had 12 goals in 46 games last year and had 14 in 57. So it's not like thats out of the realm of possibility if he played a full season. He should be able to get 15-20 no problem
Perlini is an incredibly streaky scorer who adds absolutely nothing valuable when he isn't scoring.

Perfect comparable would be Anthony Duclair after everyone figured him out. That would be an incredibly disappointing return for Puljujarvi.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It is worse than a Lindros type move, imagine if he lindros'd us how much we'd have gotten for him before training camp. Look at the Avs's team of the 90's / early 00's... of the top of my head it netted the Nordiques Forsberg, Duschesne, Ricci, the pick for Tanguay, the pick for Deadmarsh, assets used to acquire Roy, millions of dollars.

Obviously Pulju was no Lindros, but like... with the hype he had he could have easily garned a couple second line wingers, real ones on decent deals of the Tuch / Tierney / Raquell / Kerfoot / Silferberg
variety. I think its fair to say that scenario would have been better for the oilers. Or say a decent top 3 defenceman if we added, in which case we likely keep Hall around.

Lindros returned that much...because he was the highest touted prospect since MARIO.

If you want to be mad at anyone for the Oilers not trading Jesse for a solid return then blame Chia and the gang for not trading him 3 years ago :laugh:

His value now is the same as it was last season, nothing, he has done nothing but sewer his own trade value since being drafted.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Lindros returned that much...because he was the highest touted prospect since MARIO.

If you want to be mad at anyone for the Oilers not trading Jesse for a solid return then blame Chia and the gang for not trading him 3 years ago :laugh:

His value now is the same as it was last season, nothing, he has done nothing but sewer his own trade value since being drafted.

Oh totally, I get that Pulju wouldn't have returned as much as lindros. But like... He was still touted as a guaranteed top line winger, we could have aprlayed that at the time into atleast two top six forwards or atleast 1 top3 defender, easily.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holland working to feel at home with Oilers

"He feels frustrated in what's gone in in Edmonton," Holland said. "Obviously there's three things: Can you talk him into coming back? Does he want to play in Europe? Or trade him? So I've got to settle that situation by the end of August. … I don't want to box myself into any situation, but I've got to find out what I think is going to be the best solution."
You do realize this simply means that if Jesse wants to push for a trade, if the Oilers don't get the value they seek on the trade market, the 'resolved' situation is him playing in Europe, right?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Unless someone makes an offer that he would be stupid to refuse, I hope Holland holds his course. I was anti-Holland to start, but getting rid of Lucic and how he's handled Puljujarvi's whining has won me over.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What kind of moderator are you writing posts like these and adding fuel to the fire?

We, the Edmonton Oilers are a terrible organization at developing players.

Is that how this works?

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, RNH, Klefbom. All guys that were 1st round picks that have done well here. Imagine that? The cream rises to the top, Jesse is a dud.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, RNH, Klefbom. All guys that were 1st round picks that have done well here. Imagine that? The cream rises to the top, Jesse is a dud.

Yup, Oil have done pretty well with first rounders. 2nd round and later have been the issue (aside from great promise from the last few seasons, hopefully Benson leads the pack on that turnaround this season). If you're as highly touted as a Yakupov or Puljujarvi and you can't cut it even in a less than ideal development environment, sorry.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oh totally, I get that Pulju wouldn't have returned as much as lindros. But like... He was still touted as a guaranteed top line winger, we could have aprlayed that at the time into atleast two top six forwards or atleast 1 top3 defender, easily.

I’m sure if Chia would have felt the pick instead of drafting a player he obviously knew nothing about the team would have been better off. Not going to argue that. Some team out there would have given up a ton for the chance to draft him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Could also be argued that Jesse should have been given a similar development path to Nurse to work on his game. Not rushed into the NHL as the youngest player in the league. Jesse should have been playing his first NHL games last season if the Oilers had a clue. How bad would Nurse have looked if he would have been rushed into the NHL instead of being allowed to ripen in the OHL for two years?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It sounds to me that Holland may be done with JP as well... trade him or let him go to Europe... but obviously right now it doesn't sound like JP will be in camp come September.

There's plenty of competition already on the team for the bottom 6 so they really aren't going to miss JP there.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Just now on TSN Holland said he's going to work the phones the next two or three weeks, and if he can't find a solution, then Europe is likely for Puljujarvi.
So Holland is going to try an accommodate Jesse. I mean what kind of return does he expect to get at this point in time? Maybe he's just pretending to make him happy and the he'll tell him, sorry kid I tried, enjoy Europe for the next several years

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
jim-carry-jeff-daniels-scooter.jpg

Exclusive photo of Jesse and his agent arriving for a meeting with Ken Holland.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So Holland is going to try an accommodate Jesse. I mean what kind of return does he expect to get at this point in time? Maybe he's just pretending to make him happy and the he'll tell him, sorry kid I tried, enjoy Europe for the next several years

It's also possible he's talked to McDavid and others on the team and feels it might be best to have him just gone from the org completely if he doesn't want to be there... there's some value in expunging a negative cloud of energy in the org as well and starting his new management job in Edmonton only with players in the org that actually want to be there.

Holland has zero attachment to any of the previous high draft picks... so he may just see him as a dud and want to move on without having a negative player in the org who obviously doesn't want anything to do with the team anymore.

Obviously he'd like to get the most he can for him because it's a (at least originally) valuable asset but there's only so much you can squeeze out of a situation like this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Could also be argued that Jesse should have been given a similar development path to Nurse to work on his game. Not rushed into the NHL as the youngest player in the league. Jesse should have been playing his first NHL games last season if the Oilers had a clue. How bad would Nurse have looked if he would have been rushed into the NHL instead of being allowed to ripen in the OHL for two years?

Nurse didn't cry about developing in the OHL/AHL or insist to play in the NHL straight away.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
That, to me, is going to be the road block.

In three seasons, Pulju hasn't shown even a glimpse of willingness to change his game.
Bingo, and also the alleged "can lead a horse to water" remark by TMac. Maybe Jesse thinks he knows what's best, not the guys with decades of hockey experience. Look at Cogliano who really didnt flourish until he listed to the coaches who told him to change his game to succeed. Guaranteed every team in the league would like to have a player like him as he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad