Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Maybe He Picked Out His Brain Through His Nose One Lick at a Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Name one reason the demand wasn't made in private with Holland, and thereby respecting the org that drafted him, believed in him, gave him a chance..

You can't.

People rail against selfish player/agent directed moves like this because they are clear subterfuge. They serve zero benefit and respect to the org. They are unhelpful to all parties. The net effect is indiscretions like this vastly limit the amount of potential partners that could even be found, for a young player that engages in a move toxic as this. How many other GM's would be wondering about problem attitude at this point? When several hockey pundits (not just Oilers connected) have already surmised this.

Jmo that Pulju pulled a worse than Lindros type move here. He not only is stating refusing to play here, he wasted years of the orgs time here occupying a spot, and doing nothing with it. As bad as it is to consider what Pulju has done is arguably worse than if he had never shown up at all. I mean for all he's contributed, other than unintended comedy.

“Worse than Lindros type move” :laugh:did he kick babies while he was at it? Seriously the hyperbole and emotional/thoughtless posts have reached a new level today.

How has his body posture been? That’s what really matters most.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
So when he says he wants to play in North America, is he talking about the AHL or ECHL, or is he just looking at joining some men’s rec league?

Mickelsnitz

Dec 23, 2009
Yeah I should clarify that I think they're stupid, but this sounds like a desperation ploy and that they actually realize his NHL career is fading (here or elsewhere). He stays here another year and can't hack it, he's done. He goes somewhere else and can't, he'll probably have another shot and more money in the bank.
You said they weren’t as stupid as some of us think, there is nothing JP and his agent are doing that even resembles anything but stupid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If he plays in Europe, dont we still retain his rights until his normal rfa expiring age?

My understanding is that if he plays nowhere for a certain amount of time he can be a ufa

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Pretty sure the other players on the team aren’t as petty as the fans here. This makes one or two times where Jesse has been interviewed and has answered the questions politely.
upload_2019-8-3_12-59-27.jpeg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That, to me, is going to be the road block.

In three seasons, Pulju hasn't shown even a glimpse of willingness to change his game.

I think Tippett is a guy who might be able to get over that hurdle and change Jesse's perspective a little bit.

Years ago I had the privilege of having a brief conversation with Dave Tippett and at the time, I was coaching young players myself I just asked him if there was any advice he would give to a young coach. What he told me is that to be successful I had to coach individuals and not just a team. That I could write up plays and run drills and watch video all day long but that if I wasn't paying attention to individuals and the details in their games then I'd never get the most out of my team. He said the first step is always understanding how to teach individuals. Everybody is different we learn and understand in different ways and the first step is understanding how a player learns best, is it by watching video, is by constant repetition, is it by breaking complex ideas down into smaller more manageable blocks.

The other thing I liked about Tippett and how I think it relates to Jesse is I remember once reading an interview, he spoke about every player that the organization brings has been carefully considered for a role based on what at they've seen from that player. He called it the three T's and he said they get a player and they (T)rain them for a specific role. If after awhile a player is deemed as unable to fill that role they (T)ry him in a different role to see if he can adapt and find success and then Tippett said if that doesn't work they (T)rade the player. I wish I could find the article as I can't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You said they weren’t as stupid as some of us think, there is nothing JP and his agent are doing that even resembles anything but stupid.

I'm not trying to defend him, I think they're idiots and the whole situation has soured whatever little faith I had left in Puljujarvi. I'm just saying they're not completely naive and think this will have the most positive result (for them $$$) in a losing situation (I don't see him being an NHL player, especially top 6).

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
cant figure out how to quote from a locked thread

upload_2019-8-3_13-9-31.png

True, but he had 12 goals in 46 games last year and had 14 in 57. So it's not like thats out of the realm of possibility if he played a full season. He should be able to get 15-20 no problem

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Pulju will get traded to an east coast team this month, and have a breakthru season. Keep this post in mind ;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pulju will get traded to an east coast team this month, and have a breakthru season. Keep this post in mind ;)

What will the return look like? Unless he's traded to Carolina and plays with Aho I doubt it.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I've seen it suggested that the comments were taken slightly out of context as a result of poor translation. Some have said that he actually meant that while he'd prefer a fresh start, he's willing to play anywhere in NHL if offered a contract. As in, he'd still play for the Oilers if he was given a contract.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think if a trade was going to happen it would of already. Nothing between now and training camp is going to make the offers better for Jesse.

You are letting you bias for Finnish players cloud your thoughts on the reality of this situation. The league has spoken on his value and it's next to nothing, if there was any sort of decent value out there Holland likely would of taken it and got out from under this issue. The only way out for him is to be better at hockey, either for the Oilers or in Europe. The only person who can help Jesse Puljujarvi's NHL career is Jesse Puljujarvi.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I've seen it suggested that the comments were taken slightly out of context as a result of poor translation. Some have said that he actually meant that while he'd prefer a fresh start, he's willing to play anywhere in NHL if offered a contract. As in, he'd still play for the Oilers if he was given a contract.
Oilers qualified him no?

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Oilers qualified him no?

Yes, and hypothetically he could still accept a contract around 870K-1 million. Not that it's likely, I've just heard Finnish speakers say that he's not definitively saying he won't play for the Oilers this year.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Holland isn't a stranger to playing hardball, especially since this year the Oilers aren't exactly contending for the cup. JP can demand trades till the cows come home. Holland will trade him if the right offer comes along. Won't surprise me if he's told JP and his agent that the only way he'll get his trade is play well enough on the Oilers to generate a decent offer. Remember Yzerman and Drouin? Yeah, where do you think Stevie learned that?

Holland did manage to get out of the Lucic deal, albeit forced to take back a player that's a gamble rebounding. A contract more or less the entire HF was convinced was untradable. If the Oilers don't fire Holland before the start of the next season :naughty: I'd wait and see what happens before the start of the season. Nylander held out until the very last minute and JP might do the same. But in the end he caved and I bet JP will do the same. Then we'll see if he's good enough to generate even the slightest interest from other teams.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Ken Holland has now said that he wants to resolve Jesse's case before the end of this month. Like I just predicted. :naughty:

Reactions: KYams17

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are two that haven't worked out. Both were consensus picks and both had very questionable hockey IQ.

At least somebody still likes Pulju.

Was Nico H named after this..?

ps drugs are bad kids

pps that'll be my very random reference post for the day.. I think.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't see it, dude is awkward and lanky as f***. I get Finnish fans are impressed by him for whatever reason, but I've never really seen any amazing ability from him.

And it's not an Oilers thing because plenty of other forwards like Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle, Hall have shown that "it" factor here. The one guy that really never impressed me was Yakupov, and he couldn't cut it in the NHL with two other teams either and is now in the KHL as a result. Even Justin Schultz did have a couple of decent seasons here.

You gotta have some legit elite ability *at an NHL level*, and I don't see that in Jesse. Shot release is not elite, skating is bizarre and awkward (even in his pre-draft highlights there was a distinct lack of finish, no pun intended, in his game), hockey IQ is iffy, playmaking is nothing special.

There's a reason the NHL is the best league in the world, because you can't cut it here unless you really are the best of the best and players like Yakupov and Puljujarvi get exposed.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think Tippett is a guy who might be able to get over that hurdle and change Jesse's perspective a little bit.

Years ago I had the privilege of having a brief conversation with Dave Tippett and at the time, I was coaching young players myself I just asked him if there was any advice he would give to a young coach. What he told me is that to be successful I had to coach individuals and not just a team. That I could write up plays and run drills and watch video all day long but that if I wasn't paying attention to individuals and the details in their games then I'd never get the most out of my team. He said the first step is always understanding how to teach individuals. Everybody is different we learn and understand in different ways and the first step is understanding how a player learns best, is it by watching video, is by constant repetition, is it by breaking complex ideas down into smaller more manageable blocks.

The other thing I liked about Tippett and how I think it relates to Jesse is I remember once reading an interview, he spoke about every player that the organization brings has been carefully considered for a role based on what at they've seen from that player. He called it the three T's and he said they get a player and they (T)rain them for a specific role. If after awhile a player is deemed as unable to fill that role they (T)ry him in a different role to see if he can adapt and find success and then Tippett said if that doesn't work they (T)rade the player. I wish I could find the article as I can't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it.

Your exactly right . I know this sounds stupid but I coach my daughters ball team (12-15 year olds) and you have to deal with each player individually . Every player is different and you have to approach it that way . When u get that player on your side and you have their support, the team and that individual plays better

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Enjoy Europe or blaming everyone else for your continued failures in your new NHL city you gigantic waste of a lottery pick
What kind of moderator are you writing posts like these and adding fuel to the fire?

We, the Edmonton Oilers are a terrible organization at developing players.

Is that how this works?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, and hypothetically he could still accept a contract around 870K-1 million. Not that it's likely, I've just heard Finnish speakers say that he's not definitively saying he won't play for the Oilers this year.

Jesse's agent; Jesse won't play for the Edmonton Oilers ever again.

Jesse Puljujarvi doubling up; I won't play for the Edmonton Oilers ever again.

Denial response; This must be all some big big misunderstanding..it actually means Jesse will play for the Edmonton Oilers again. The quotes are wrong all wrong.

Poor Jesse is always very misunderstood. Its a new meme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad