Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Maybe He Picked Out His Brain Through His Nose One Lick at a Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Enjoy Europe or blaming everyone else for your continued failures in your new NHL city you gigantic waste of a lottery pick.

From the last thread:

In fairness to McD he is a patient man. He waited a longtime before making that comment, and towards the end of another disappointing season in which multiple players were not rowing, and were disinterested at different times. McD even cut Lucic slack multiple times because Lucic was at least bringing the hitting facet of the game. Its hard to defend or acknowledge Pulju in anyway because he was contributing nothing, and for a very long time. Years later, and he never got out of the starting gate.

For Lucic the reason his comment was profoundly unacceptable is that he was a veteran, and was a captain on this team. Milans comment is holy ironic and he seems not even to realize it. Because his whole attitude in hockey has for some reason come to be looking down the bench to see if anybody else will get it done. Lucic seems to find that months on end not scoring is acceptable.

LOL that Lucic was saying such things as "2018 was just a bad year" "I was cursed" and the like. He wasn't playing well enough, enough times, to really get over slumps. He had 7goals in his last 122 GP which is frankly disgusting for a guy that scored an average 22 goals in the 4 previous seasons.

Older captain? Age is relative. Connor is an old soul and has ample maturity. He leads, I would follow. Age doesn't even matter.

Did anybody here question following Gretzky? Messier? Nah.

I don't know why everyone is assuming that JP is dumb just because he picks his nose with his tongue. I've seen plenty of intelligent people lick the inside of their nostrils.

I’m no gambler but I’ve heard from those who are don’t double down on a losing hand and if your going to bluff don’t stick your tongue in your nose while doing so.

players are allowed to ask for a trade, but I don't think they should be able to demand it. He is not under contract, but the RFA rights provisions in the CBA were put there for a reason. If you want to enjoy the fruits of the NHL you have to accept the rules. It's better to trade a player who wants out, but if there aren't fair offers out there, then there is NO WAY we should trade him, period.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not sure what he's trying to gain from re-stating how he wants a trade? Every time he or his agent talks he's just putting himself in a worse position.

Ideally we get a decent return for him, otherwise let him shout to the rooftops how Holland is a big meanie for not doing what Jesse wants if it doesn't make sense for Holland's employer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not sure what he's trying to gain from re-stating how he wants a trade? Every time he or his agent talks he's just putting himself in a worse position.
Guessing that he is naive and not too smart to how such comments are taken so seriously in Edmonton.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
OK, different thread, attempt at different tack (which maybe won't last long, heh)

Pulju as I noted is most happy, and brave it seems, while away on his extended summer vacays, which, good thing he was drafted by Oilers, has been every year he's been up in the show. Its easy to say crap when you're half a world away. Easy to think, like others have done, that what gets stated around the world in another language won't be coming back on you. Well it does, it always does..

He's a 21yr old opening his yap and stupid falling out. Not even his tongue nose picking is stopping that.

But my take on this player is he's not committed, or strong enough to stick to these guns either. Pretty sure by September he'll be begging his way back and Holland would do well to get some verbal commitment from him. I think Pulju position will change so much that not only will we not be seeing the Pulju entitlement, we'll be seeing a guy who might finally get that his opportunities are drying up.

Although that could be giving Pulju, and his agent far too much credit....well probably...;)

All that said the Oilers may well feel at this point that there is no going back or coming back. I wonder if that is a probably. I'm thinking that since Pulju himself stated his position that it puts the Oilers in an uncomfortable position even entertaining the notion of having the player back. Its at the point where Holland will probably reach out to the team leaders to see what they think. To get candid private response. Pulju, himself, stating not wanting to be playing here has really put some nails in his coffin.

The real problem in this type of grandstanding is it puts not only yourself, but everybody, the org, your teammates, in an awkward position and in one that should not occur in a team sport. The question is if you thought it through, as a team mate, could you even vouch for this guy at this point? Would you?

Is Pulju someone you would trust in your trench?

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Such vitriol.

There's nothing wrong with a player wanting to be traded. It's an easily understandable point of view for the player and agent to have considering how his career has gone so far (whether his fault, the teams fault or some combination).

I don't begrudge him for wanting a trade. I don't subscribe to the notion that if he signs a contract he needs to do so crawling back on his hands and knees.

This is all just a business. Not just for the Oilers, but for the player too.

That being said, if the offer isn't there to make it worthwhile deal for Edmonton, I'd be more than prepared to tell Puljujarvi he's not being dealt and he can either sign here or sign in Europe.

I do kind of wish we'd get a resolution to it though. If Holland hasn't gotten an offer he likes, he's probably not going to get one now. So tell Puljujarvi and his agent it's either Edmonton or Europe and the time to make that decision is now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Such vitriol.

There's nothing wrong with a player wanting to be traded. It's an easily understandable point of view for the player and agent to have considering how his career has gone so far (whether his fault, the teams fault or some combination).

I don't begrudge him for wanting a trade. I don't subscribe to the notion that if he signs a contract he needs to do so crawling back on his hands and knees.

That being said, if the offer isn't there to make it worthwhile deal for Edmonton, I'd be more than prepared to tell Puljujarvi he's not being dealt and he can either sign here or sign in Europe.

I do kind of wish we'd get a resolution to it though. If Holland hasn't gotten an offer he likes, he's probably not going to get one now. So tell Puljujarvi and his agent it's either Edmonton or Europe and the time to make that decision is now.
I get what you are saying but the majority of fans probably would have been fine if he went to Holland and asked for a trade.

Saying publicly “either I’m traded or I’m playing in Europe” is where he stepped over the line. He literally dropped his own value. If I was a betting man and he didn’t make that stupid ultimatum. I bet he would have been dealt by now.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
When I look at Jesse I see a player that was highly touted from a very young age and had relied on natural skill and physical gifts that made him a stand out without having to work as hard as others might have. When he got to a point where the physical gift weren't enough to carry him anymore it started to affect his confidence. Instead of taking a good, long look in the mirror and realizing that it's going to take a more dedicated approach to really become that player at the highest level, he has chosen to believe that it is others fault he has not become the player he believes he is supposed to be.

At this juncture, while it would be easy to be upset with Jesse I think the best approach is to continued communication and to try and mend the relationship. Coaches and players should be reaching out to Jesse to let him know he's still valued and the guys want him back in the fold and management should be positively challenging him to return to the team and make an impact because it's been made pretty clear that people around the league don't really think much of him, he should be desperate to work hard, perform well and change that perception of him.

Tippett is a tremendous teacher and excellent at training guys for roles and if Jesse is willing to adapt and learn he could become a very valuable member of the Oilers even if it's not immediately as a big offensive contributor in the top 6. I think his physical stature and skill at a young age pushed him to a high draft position but in reality I think Jesse was always more likely and is still likely to follow the development curve that the bulk of Scandinavian players do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Shorter comment. Consider being on your own vacay, as any player on this team, and you keep hearing about this one player biatching and moaning and threatening as you try to enjoy your own vacay escape and not have to be thinking about such shit through the summer? Really, what would your reaction be to some of this if you are one of the players constantly carrying the club, and you read some player that contributes nothing talking about ultimatums and not wanting to be here.

Your response?

Almost invariably its "good riddance".

Could this even be received well?

Reactions: Critical I

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Him re-stating the trade request is fine, but there's still not much mention of what the Oilers get out of it. Why is trading him good for us?
If it's just because he would prefer being elsewhere, then any RFA should be able to ask for a trade no matter what the reason.

Trouba demanded a trade and really made a point of it, but eventually he buckled down and fulfilled his obligation to the team that drafted him. That's not too much for us to ask of JP now. If he really wants out, then he should be training his butt off this offseason and build his value up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I get what you are saying but the majority of fans probably would have been fine if he went to Holland and asked for a trade.

Saying publicly “either I’m traded or I’m playing in Europe” is where he stepped over the line. He literally dropped his own value. If I was a betting man and he didn’t make that stupid ultimatum. I bet he would have been dealt by now.
Let's be perfectly honest. Puljujarvi hasn't had any real value for basically a year. He's a bust. A terrible player.

A public trade request or not isn't going to change that. It's not like before the trade request GMs were going to be lining up for a guy who had unequivocally failed in the NHL in three straight seasons and was coming off a season ending injury.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Such vitriol.

Name one reason the demand wasn't made in private with Holland, and thereby respecting the org that drafted him, believed in him, gave him a chance..

You can't.

People rail against selfish player/agent directed moves like this because they are clear subterfuge. They serve zero benefit and respect to the org. They are unhelpful to all parties. The net effect is indiscretions like this vastly limit the amount of potential partners that could even be found, for a young player that engages in a move toxic as this. How many other GM's would be wondering about problem attitude at this point? When several hockey pundits (not just Oilers connected) have already surmised this.

Jmo that Pulju pulled a worse than Lindros type move here. He not only is stating refusing to play here, he wasted years of the orgs time here occupying a spot, and doing nothing with it. As bad as it is to consider what Pulju has done is arguably worse than if he had never shown up at all. I mean for all he's contributed, other than unintended comedy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Let's be perfectly honest. Puljujarvi hasn't had any real value for basically a year. He's a bust. A terrible player.

A public trade request or not isn't going to change that. It's not like before the trade request GMs were going to be lining up for a guy who had unequivocally failed in the NHL in three straight seasons and was coming off a season ending injury.

I hope we get more than Pochiro for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Some would even say this is why you are not in position to make any ultimatums, that its stupid to do so, due to a lack of any leverage or creating any interest in yourself, as a prospect.

imagine closing doors at this point in a career. Its lol stupid, which most people are doing in response.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
When I look at Jesse I see a player that was highly touted from a very young age and had relied on natural skill and physical gifts that made him a stand out without having to work as hard as others might have. When he got to a point where the physical gift weren't enough to carry him anymore it started to affect his confidence. Instead of taking a good, long look in the mirror and realizing that it's going to take a more dedicated approach to really become that player at the highest level, he has chosen to believe that it is others fault he has not become the player he believes he is supposed to be.

At this juncture, while it would be easy to be upset with Jesse I think the best approach is to continued communication and to try and mend the relationship. Coaches and players should be reaching out to Jesse to let him know he's still valued and the guys want him back in the fold and management should be positively challenging him to return to the team and make an impact because it's been made pretty clear that people around the league don't really think much of him, he should be desperate to work hard, perform well and change that perception of him.

Tippett is a tremendous teacher and excellent at training guys for roles and if Jesse is willing to adapt and learn he could become a very valuable member of the Oilers even if it's not immediately as a big offensive contributor in the top 6. I think his physical stature and skill at a young age pushed him to a high draft position but in reality I think Jesse was always more likely and is still likely to follow the development curve that the bulk of Scandinavian players do.
Nice words of wisdom, would be a great mend to this drama but at the end it's all up to Jesse to show that he is serious about taking it to the next level

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Him re-stating the trade request is fine, but there's still not much mention of what the Oilers get out of it. Why is trading him good for us?
If it's just because he would prefer being elsewhere, then any RFA should be able to ask for a trade no matter what the reason.

Trouba demanded a trade and really made a point of it, but eventually he buckled down and fulfilled his obligation to the team that drafted him. That's not too much for us to ask of JP now. If he really wants out, then he should be training his butt off this offseason and build his value up.

This all day. You show up in camp, work hard, knock in 15-20 goals, and grow your options. Its the only real way you get out of dodge, and by that point you may feel no reason to. Pulju and his agent are being immature all day.

The only thing the recent Pulju comments do is perhaps absolve his agent because it really is the case that all this demand came from Pulju. We know that now, he's confirmed that. The agent is only an operative listening to demands of his prodigy (lol). I wonder if the agent even tried to stop this before declaring Pulju's own demand publicly. I mean think about it. The agent gets a cut, in how much the player is paid, a percentage. Its how they get paid. Why would the agent be onboard for diminished pay in SEL or KHL? Can't see it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That, to me, is going to be the road block.

In three seasons, Pulju hasn't shown even a glimpse of willingness to change his game.

Reactions: frag2

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I have a feeling that Pulju and his agent aren't as stupid as we think. With Tippett and a refreshed line-up (but perfect opportunity to excel and grab a spot) aren't enough to get something that resembles and NHL player out of Pulju, that's likely curtains on his NHL career. If he gets a "fresh start" somewhere, it would refresh his NHL outlook somewhat. He could get more than one year to prove he's capable of playing in the NHL. Could even parlay that into another club after that too "just in case" (see Yak).

Mickelsnitz

Dec 23, 2009
I have a feeling that Pulju and his agent aren't as stupid as we think. With Tippett and a refreshed line-up (but perfect opportunity to excel and grab a spot) aren't enough to get something that resembles and NHL player out of Pulju, that's likely curtains on his NHL career. If he gets a "fresh start" somewhere, it would refresh his NHL outlook somewhat. He could get more than one year to prove he's capable of playing in the NHL. Could even parlay that into another club after that too "just in case" (see Yak).
Yes they are.

Have

Feb 10, 2012
Finland
Not sure if this was posted/referenced already, but in today's Iltalehti (a Finnish tabloid) there was this article:
Ilman sopimusta oleva Jesse Puljujärvi kommentoi kinkkistä tilannettaan - haluaa uuden osoitteen: ”Nyt on oikeastaan vapaa olo”

Pulju says he has had a good summer, his hip is "better than normal" and he's been able to add strength pretty well during the summer.

When asked about the request to be traded, he nods. Pulju says things will sort out in September and he believes he'll play in NA next season - that is what he is preparing and training for.

Fun fact: he has clearly learnt English, as even the reporter had to translate a word Pulju used!
"pitkä aika vedetty rehabia (kuntoutusta)" = "for a long time I've been doing rehab" -> rehab isn't Finnish. He's learning! Yay! :sarcasm:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
with his statement though, "I want to start with some other team", it doesn't have to mean that he will not play for the Oilers. And imo him playing in Finland is fine. Might be better than AHL. He was playing well against men in Finland.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yes they are.

Yeah I should clarify that I think they're stupid, but this sounds like a desperation ploy and that they actually realize his NHL career is fading (here or elsewhere). He stays here another year and can't hack it, he's done. He goes somewhere else and can't, he'll probably have another shot and more money in the bank.

Reactions: rboomercat90

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Shorter comment. Consider being on your own vacay, as any player on this team, and you keep hearing about this one player biatching and moaning and threatening as you try to enjoy your own vacay escape and not have to be thinking about such **** through the summer? Really, what would your reaction be to some of this if you are one of the players constantly carrying the club, and you read some player that contributes nothing talking about ultimatums and not wanting to be here.

Your response?

Almost invariably its "good riddance".

Could this even be received well?

Pretty sure the other players on the team aren’t as petty as the fans here. This makes one or two times where Jesse has been interviewed and has answered the questions politely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad