Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Hard times

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Nice to see Jesse have some points at AHL.
Lets hope he can iron out those other problems. Highlights dont really show that side.

And no. He does not have a hell of a shot. Never has.
It's hard but it is a shotgun.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Nice to see Jesse have some points at AHL.
Lets hope he can iron out those other problems. Highlights dont really show that side.

And no. He does not have a hell of a shot. Never has.
It's hard but it is a shotgun.
Sure it's not the most accurate shot, but he gets it off fast and pretty reliably.

A 100 mph slapper creates lots of rebounds as well and when the accuracy is there it's pretty damn hard to stop. He has had success with his shot on every level where it has been utilized. Not to mention that he is probably at least the fourth best playmaker on the team as well.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Sure it's not the most accurate shot, but he gets it off fast and pretty reliably.

A 100 mph slapper creates lots of rebounds as well and when the accuracy is there it's pretty damn hard to stop. He has had success with his shot on every level where it has been utilized. Not to mention that he is probably at least the fourth best playmaker on the team as well.

Hope he can now actually hit the puck as last year he just fumbled the shot most of times.

We will see. Next NHL stint tells a lot more.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
What a joke. The guy played like junk. And a coach isn’t going to sit a guy because he doesn’t like him. It’s not in his self interest or the teams.

How did an obviously skilled player suddenly play like shit? How did a foreign rookie go from extremely promising to horrible? While a lot of a players development is on them, the organization is responsible for doing everything they can to improve their asset and in no way shape or form do I think Todd has any understanding of how to develop young players at this current moment.

In your workplace when you or someone else screws 1 thing up do you get reassigned to another task? No you get coached you get trained, maybe later down the road you'll get reassigned if you continue but for a young hockey player to be in an environment where 1 screw up gets you benched they're too afraid to do what makes them valuable that's a terrible environment that breeds stagnation and regression.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
How did an obviously skilled player suddenly play like ****? How did a foreign rookie go from extremely promising to horrible? While a lot of a players development is on them, the organization is responsible for doing everything they can to improve their asset and in no way shape or form do I think Todd has any understanding of how to develop young players at this current moment.

its like getting a top of the line lawnmower and using it to vacuum your carpet. use it to its strengths

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
its like getting a top of the line lawnmower and using it to vacuum your carpet. use it to its strengths

its like buying an AWD Subaru sti and thinking you're going to go full initial D and pull off sick drifts. Which I definitely have never done.

Its like picking the sniper rifle in CoD zombies. Which I definitely have never done.

You have a young player in a position you're weak in that also fits your power play with a tremendous shot, and you stick him with the worst players on your team because you think it teaches him a lesson that he needs to work harder and not make mistakes, its not about effort, its about making those mistakes, learning from them and being supported during that.

Reactions: Aerrol

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This stuff pisses me off because of the industry and company I work for and how basic these leadership principles are that coaches at the highest level of a sport don't understand and apparently no one is challenging them on lol

/rant lol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Pulju will be up in no time and Hitch will coach him the right way. Use him to his strenghts. Pul is def outperforming Yamamoto down in Bakersfield.

Honestly I'd give him a good month in Bakersfield. Yes, he's been the best player in the 3 games he's played, but I'd perfer to let him grow on that for a bit. Bring him up when he has 15 points in 12 games or something like, and his confidence fully reset.

Plus with Drai now on RW, along with Chiasson performing well and Rattie, Pulju's not an immediate need.

What I'd like to see...

Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl
Spooner-RNH-Rattie
Lucic-Brodziak-Chiasson
Russell-Khaira-Kassian

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

When did he shoot a 100 MPH slapper? Was it a skill contest where he got to run into it? Cause I believe Lucic and Laraque broke the 100 MPH barrier in skills contests, but in practical application both had highly underwhelming shots, stepping into a puck on the proverbial tee is a lot different than timing a quick cross seam pass directly into a 100 MPH one-timer that goes where you want it to go.

At least the 4th best playmaker is laughable, more like at best the 4th best or arguably the 4th best, saying atleast the 4th best playmaker implies that he is arguably or in the running to be a better playmaker than one or more of McDavid, Drai, or RNH which is far from being true, that trio is head and shoulders our 3 best forwards and each one is a quality playmaker in their own right.

Reactions: ujju2 and mouz135

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Pulju will be up in no time and Hitch will coach him the right way. Use him to his strenghts. Pul is def outperforming Yamamoto down in Bakersfield.
I actually hope Pulju stays down. 3 points in 3 games is a great sign, but it'll take a lot more time for his confidence to build, and for us to get a better sample size to know what we really have in him.

Re-assess him in 15 games and go from there imo.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Was before the draft, before the u20 championships, when they were 17. Jesse beat Patrik in slapper contest by couuple of mph. Jesse also won the the accuracy test between them, which made Patrik throw his stick at the boards. Was in finnish national tv.
also beat him in the faster skater competition.

Guy is a physical beast. Just based on this he is a 20 goal 40 point guy. Simply hasn't been used properly.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
How did an obviously skilled player suddenly play like ****? How did a foreign rookie go from extremely promising to horrible? While a lot of a players development is on them, the organization is responsible for doing everything they can to improve their asset and in no way shape or form do I think Todd has any understanding of how to develop young players at this current moment.

In your workplace when you or someone else screws 1 thing up do you get reassigned to another task? No you get coached you get trained, maybe later down the road you'll get reassigned if you continue but for a young hockey player to be in an environment where 1 screw up gets you benched they're too afraid to do what makes them valuable that's a terrible environment that breeds stagnation and regression.
Anybody who follows sports at all/has a clue knows that the world is littered with highly touted prospects that ultimately turned out to be junk, for a variety of reasons. There are literally hundred/thousands of them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think it's pretty safe to say Todd didn't like Jesse, whether that's personal or professionally I don't give a **** that immediately makes him Eakins level of a dip****.

Stauffer's tweet about it said it all. I always felt that Chia was higher on Jesse than Todd was and now we have confirmation of that.

I’m torn about whether Hitch will be good for Jesse or not. On the one hand, Hitch has proven time and time again to be a good teacher of the two way game, and he is under less of a gun than TMac was in terms of “win now or else!” I honestly dont think Hitch gaf about next year as this is most likely temporary regardless of outcome. Maybe that would allow him to be a bit more of a teacher.

On the other hand, hitch is a hard-ass and Jesse is clearly still really young and he somewhat struggles with confidence. I honestly dont know what to think.

I do hope they let him dominate down there for at least a while. I think it will build confidence and help him in the long run, plus a good statistical body of work will help make the “waaaah Poolparty is a bust” donkeys **** for a while.

I have a feeling that Hitch would like to stay for 2-3 more years if given the chance and health permitting. This is his hometown team that he has always wanted to coach, that and his legacy can grow even more if he rights this tire fire of an organization.

IMO he is bright enough to know that Jesse is HUGE for this organization and that the last coach failed him in the eyes of Chia and Oilers fans.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a joke. The guy played like junk. And a coach isn’t going to sit a guy because he doesn’t like him. It’s not in his self interest or the teams.

The joke is the handling of this player from the coach. In this organization, no player was likely more relieved to see Todd's ass get sent packing than Jesse. The next time that he is called up he will be played in the top 6 and on the PP where a player with his skill set and pedigree should be playing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The joke is the handling of this player from the coach. In this organization, no player was likely more relieved to see Todd's ass get sent packing than Jesse. The next time that he is called up he will be played in the top 6 and on the PP where a player with his skill set and pedigree should be playing.
Hoping it's next season after he signs a sweet bridge deal

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Anybody who follows sports at all/has a clue knows that the world is littered with highly touted prospects that ultimately turned out to be junk, for a variety of reasons. There are literally hundred/thousands of them.

right, but that's dependant on what you think of that player. I personally don't feel JP is that player, but that's just my opinion.

My main issue with this is, if McLellan benched and scratched JP because he disliked him for any reason, that's bush league, and imo its one of the biggest reasons you see so many highly touted prospects fail is because instead of coached and developed they're policed, guttering their confidence.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
While trying to check some info I bumped into a year old EJ article. It was about the struggling PP and suggested the following:

If Letestu has lost a step and if he also lacks the passing skills to set up McDavid on one-timers — and both things are entirely possible — then it’s time to go with Jesse Puljujarvi on the left half wall. Puljujarvi has a wicked one-timer from that spot and when he gets his confidence up he’s also an outstanding passer of the puck from that spot.

It's interesting that Woodcroft immediately used Pulju in that place. I also believe Hitchcock is aware of the way Pulju had been used in that position before joining the Oilers and would not be surprised if he finally gets a look there during the rest of this season.

Reactions: McCombo

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Was before the draft, before the u20 championships, when they were 17. Jesse beat Patrik in slapper contest by couuple of mph. Jesse also won the the accuracy test between them, which made Patrik throw his stick at the boards. Was in finnish national tv.

To me Jesse's oppurtunities to use his slapper have been VERY few and far between on the Oilers. Not being use on the PP as our only RHS is one reason why. Our team in general not being able to create those types of oppurtunities in the O zone with any amount of regularity is another reason why. When he's had had his chances to unleash a ripper, more often then not it's a miss or a flub or something. Not saying this is Jesse's fault, to get those shots off you need to adjust to the speed of the game and have confidence in your game. Something Jesse didn't have up here. But practice and oppurtunities to get that shot off breeds more confidence and getting used to the speed of the game. If Hitch and any other coach can just accept that he's going to flub some plays every now and then but still give him the opportunity to work on it, this might unleash Jesse's potential to what we all hoped it would be.

Reactions: GameChanger

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I have seen close to zero in his skill set that suggests he be in the top 6 right now.
If pedigree does it for ya, whatever floats your boat

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I have seen close to zero in his skill set that suggests he be in the top 6 right now.
If pedigree does it for ya, whatever floats your boat

Sorry for the repetition, but as I wrote there was a period of 12 games when he scored 6+3 last season with practically no PP time. The problems started in the bottom6 later on. Actually he was the best scoring winger until March despite of his production slowing down and practically stopping towards the end.

I'm sure he's developed during this year so I believe feeding his confidence and letting him play more to his strengths is a key in makíng him a useful top6 level player for the team. We'll see how that'll go, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic with Hitchcock (and Jesse) right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad